PDA

View Full Version : Hiya

Mordante69
10-05-2007, 10:00 PM
First, I wanna say wow! Killer game! Secondly, I am probably gonna run off at the mouth a bit so bear with me, or throw rocks, either way I have to gush a bit.

I spent last Sunday morning pouring through the topics here, and by 11:30 (about two hours in) I was sold. I didn't have any spare cash so I grabbed a bunch of DVD's I didn't want and went to a local CD/DVD trader and sold them. Twenty minutes later I was at Circuit City scarfing up the last IL2 1946 game they had. Let me tell ya, my testicles shrank a bit when I didn't see it the first time through!

I am not a big flight sim guy but I love WWII, and I think I may have a new addiction, as well as a learning tool that will allow me to immerse myself in the history even deeper! The shear amount of content is amazing! Not to mention the vast wealth of mods, programs and guides for this game. I haven't been this juiced since I got into Combat Mission. And actually it's a nice companion to that game. AND for the first time ever, I think I am really gonna try and learn how to fly instead of (AHEM) "winging it" with the easier difficulty settings...eventually anyway.

So now that I have slobbered a bit, I have a couple questions that I haven't been able to find any answers for.

1.) When you add skins will the game use them in Quick Missions, or Single Missions under the AI, or can you only choose them for your plane?

2. I used to play Jane's WWII Fighters and it had an option I really liked where it would use an arrow to show you where your target was in relation to you. Helped a rookie like me a lot. Is there anything like that planned for IL2? (I know about the "padlock target" feature and so far it makes me cross-eyed.)

3. I've read about a feature list for Storm Of War but can't locate it. Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Anyway, IL2 46 is looking to be the best flight sim I have ever seen and I am really excited to learn more about, as well as interact with, a part of WWII that was previously a surface interest at best. I have only dicked with the game for about ten hours and feel I have already gotten my money's worth! I am gonna be busy and having fun for a really long time. With all the mods and the like it's limitless.

So my hats off to the IL2 team, all the modders and other contributers...great job!

Mord.

P.S. OH, and nice to meet you guys!

crucislancer
10-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Yeah, that's about how I felt the first time I played IL-2.

As to your questions:

1) In the quick mission builder you can set the skins for each plane, enemy or friendly. For campaigns, the AI will only use the skins it's told to in the full mission builder.

2)there are arrows showing where the planes are when you turn off the cockpit (ctrl-F1 I believe)

3) I really haven't seen one, perhaps someone has a link.

Again, welcome, and good hunting! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Yellow_Sub
10-06-2007, 01:32 PM
3) Found this in the german forum.

Features:

* Flyable aircraft - At least 10-11 highly detailed English, German and Italian aircraft - including Spitfire, Hurricane, Messerschmitt, Junkers, etc. Flyable fighters and multi crew position bombers.
* Non-Flyable aircraft - From 15 to 20 AI controlled aircraft.
* Huge number of single missions - 20 single-player missions & 10 multiplayer missions (At least).
* Brand new game map - The game will take place from central England in the North, to Northern France in the South (The part of map will include Belgium - area close to French border, from where Italian AF were flying, involved in BoB). The game-world will consist of a single large map and will encompass cities, towns, roads, airfields, radar stations, ports, and industrial areas.
* Enhanced campaign system - The dynamic campaign system will be an "evolution" of the Forgotten Battles campaign engine and will include expanded pilot and squadron management.
* Dynamic campaign system - Allows players to rewrite history (ability to set two variants in realistic settings for campaign system. One for realistic, and one for "rewriting history").
* Scalable gameplay - Not only appealing for sim enthusiasts, it will attract the novices too through an enhanced novice mode.
* An even more accurate flight model - based on the IL-2 series development with advanced modules of precise calculation.
* New weather effects - Weather conditions changing in-flight. Moving storm fronts and changing weather throughout the day.
* Changing, moving weather- and location-dependent air masses.
* New 3D engine - highly detailed objects and ground, including accurate coastal lines and realistically looking sea waves. For the first time in any flight sim, details like working ground vehicle suspension use our real-time physics engine. Animated weapon physics, such as recoiling tank guns, etc. Expandable with add-ons for new theatres.
* Air-stream effects - Authentic turbulence and atmospheric circulation unique for each cloud type. When flying directly behind another aircraft, there will be a noticeable realistic prop-wash and turbulence effect.
* Multiplayer option - 32 at minimum, dogfights, cooperative and team play modes with basic and special maps.

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7871043264/m/4641029783

Bearcat99
10-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Hit the Nugget's Guide in my sig..... There are icons but they are different.. and the closest thing to the radar screen like arrows is the arrows that float around the screen in the no cockpit mode... but they get old quick. Welcome aboard..

Mordante69
10-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the quick replies crucislancer. I am glad to know the skins can be used outside of multiplayer.

Yeah, I knew about the no cockpit view showing arrows but it's too strange not having any kind of cockpit framing my view when flying. I'd love to see a feature where you could select a target and then have an arrow track it until it is killed or switched to another target. I'd also like to see a feature where you could switch to another plane if you get killed.

But with that said this game is really cool.
I am glad I waited all these years to pick it up, I am having a great time with the vast amount of content.

Yellow Sub, Thanks for the feature list for SoW:BoB, I was going crazy trying to find it. These forums are great but I seem to get easily side tracked and lost in 12 other subjects when I start out looking for something specific.

Bearcat, I had most of the links in your sig bookmarked the day the game hit my hard drive! I have found a vast wealth of info for IL2 and it seems to grow everyday. Between Combat Mission, and Il2 I am in WWII Heaven! All I gotta do now is grab me Silent Hunter III and IV and I'll probably OD!

Thanks again, fellas.

Mord.

Mordante69
10-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Nuther couple questions.

1. I keep reading about a 4.09 patch. When the game is patched is any new content added or is it just bug fixes and historical corrections? Example; would they add new planes, maps or map objects?

1b. I understand the plane data is locked so only textures can be modded (something I agree with), but can objects be added to the game; like buidings and the like? How about maps? Are there texture mods for ships and vehicles?

2. Is the 4.09 patch gonna be the last one?

3. What color undies am I wearing?

Mord.

P.S. All questions are posted out of curiosity, no *****ing is implied or intended, I am loving this game as is.

Skycat_2
10-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Mordante69:
1. I keep reading about a 4.09 patch. When the game is patched is any new content added or is it just bug fixes and historical corrections? Example; would they add new planes, maps or map objects?
Historically most of the patches for the series have contained some kind of new material. Not all of them have, however; some patches have been just for code fixes or to fix 'bugs.'

In the case of the hypothetical 4.09 patch, it is generally assumed that if it is issued it will include the Bessarabia and Slovakia maps that are now in their finalization stages after many months of work. These maps will include dozens of new objects including new buildings, castles, fences, wagons and infantry figures. There is also wishful hoping within the community that the two or three aircraft that were 'completed' by third-party modelers and submitted to 1C:MG without further action will be included as surprise flyables ... but this should be considered 'unlikely' so as to alleviate future disappointment. In addition, there is a large collection of replacement 'default skins' created by the most experienced artists that was submitted to 1C:MG several months ago. These were intended to improve the oldest of the default skins so that they have more detail, color variations and weathering than the current versions.
Finally, it is generallly assumed that the 4.09 patch will re-encrypt the .SFS files to defeat the unofficial 'sound mod' hack.

1b. I understand the plane data is locked so only textures can be modded (something I agree with), but can objects be added to the game; like buidings and the like? How about maps? Are there texture mods for ships and vehicles?
No on all accounts, at least in the game's unhacked form. All new maps and objects must be compiled into the code by the developers. Since the objects are then 'locked' it is impossible for players to repaint the buildings, ships or vehicles.

2. Is the 4.09 patch gonna be the last one?
Probably, but then again nobody knows for certain. There aren't even any guarantees that there will be 4.09 patch. My guess is that if there are no new planes included in 4.09 then the chances of there being 'bugs' in it is much lower. If there are no major bugs within then there won't be a need for a follow-up patch.

3. What color undies am I wearing?

Blue ... No Green! Green!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrr...

F19_Orheim
10-08-2007, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Skycat_2:
Blue ... No Green! Green!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Classic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

crucislancer
10-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Mordante69:
Thanks for the quick replies crucislancer.

My pleasure!

But with that said this game is really cool.
I am glad I waited all these years to pick it up, I am having a great time with the vast amount of content.

That is one of the things that I like most about this game, the vast amount of content. There are still planes that I haven't gotten around to flying because I'll get sucked into a particular aircraft for a few weeks, or bounce around with a few favorites. Right now it's the Tempest V, FW190A8, P-47D, and the bf109G6.

Mordante69
10-11-2007, 03:03 PM
LOL yeah man, the content is almost overwhelming! But I am learning a lot. I knew practically nothing about WWII aircraft outside of a few of the most popular planes, before I got this game. I haven't tried a plane yet that hasn't interested me...but then again my flying settings are very basic until I have the time where I can sit down and really learn how to fly from the ground up...but they are all so cool!

My god, I am still loading skins! (The BF 109s seem to be to IL2 what the Tiger and Panther skins were to Combat Mission...but on a MUCH huger scale.) I have over 1100 skins loaded and have only barely scratched the surface! You talk about bang for the buck...this game has it in spades. And not to mention the modders are just unbelieveable. Some of the skins just suck the air out of me they are so gorgeous.

I was reading the one thread where the guy didn't wanna buy IL 46 because he only liked PTO stuff and I was just amazed. The thing about WWII to me, is that it is ALL interesting...even when I think it won't be, that WWII bug creeps up and bites my *** and I get the fever all over again. I started out a ground combat, European Theater dude, and now 7 years later, I am interested in Land, Air and Sea, and all the theaters. I can't see selling myself short, there's too much cool stuff to ignore any of it. And much to my surprise I am finding the Axis Minor nations some of the most interesting of all.

OK, take a breath! Do I sound enthusiastic?

Back to the skins!

Mord.

P.S. Oh, and Skycat, you were partially right...they start off blue but by weeks end they are green...olive drab...depending on the humidity levels.

furyan65
10-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Welcome to the drug Mord http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Have a big HDD and plenty of coffee. Its a great game!