PDA

View Full Version : My first kill!

davidpaulsmith
05-05-2005, 06:44 PM
well after 4 weeks out at sea, I found 3 merchant ships. I sank all of them, but not as good as I hoped.

I had to sink them with my Deck gun. Either my toprs A. Missed, or B. Bounced off.

now how does a torp bounce off?

Anyway I was reading the tips at subsim.com
And I read this,

"Resupply in patrol
The resupply feature is not available for this installment. This issue will be addressed in the first patch.
You should always pay attention to your diesel fuel and try to avoid running out of fuel in mid-ocean. That's the life of a U-boat commander, no BP petrol station on every corner!"

So my queston is this,
did they make it work? I never knew there was an option for this, perhaps I didn't see it in the manual.

Lovo_Kasistan
05-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by davidpaulsmith:
now how does a torp bounce off?
Have you activated the duds in the realism settings?

A torpedoe needs at least 300m to arm itself, otherwise it'll only bounce off.

The impact pistol needs an angle (horizontally and vertically) of 90? to work best. Any deviation will lower the chance of an explosion.

davidpaulsmith
05-05-2005, 07:03 PM
See I took the Naval corse...

I am dense. So I am doing the trial and error.
once I figure out how to play the game, I will play it where DiD!!

But till then I must figure out how to do everything myself. Watched the videos going to watch them again. and I was like 3k meter away and at a 45 degree angle. soo that might have been the problem.

Anyone here up to train a Noob? lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

GT182
05-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Here's a trick to try....

Set the Pistol to Impact and Magnetic. Then when you identify a target make sure you look and see what the Draft is. The go back to the consol and set your torpedos depth to a meter or so under the keel of you target... that's for calm seas. If you are in rough weather, set the torps depth deeper to account for the ship you're after bouncing around. Works great, but make sure you are within range of 1100 meters or less. With Duds ON, your torpedo can and will explode to early if you're further out.

I use the WeaponsOfficer to make the shot. I'm not that good yet to set it all up myself so I make him earn his keep. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Click on his icon, select Torpedo Attack, Identify the ship only until you are close for a shot. This gives you the time to make changes for torps depth and the angle you come in at. Note that with magnetic on too, you can make a headon shot and it'll sink what you target too. Once you're close enough, Open the tube door, click for the WO to make a solution and fire. Depending on the ships size, you might have to make more than one shot to sink it.

Set to Impact only if you have an angle close to 90 degrees. Plus or minus 10 degrees should be ok but greater than that the torpedo will just bounce off. And if the crew is alert they will hear it and try evade you.

Remember, patience is a virture.... don't rush a shot unless you absolutely have to, only to save your sub. But in that case you're better to dive deep, run silent or stop and sit still... no noise means they can find you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Praetorian_Elite
05-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Where is the ship recognition manuals for the merchant ships? I remember finding it before and looking through it but don't remember where I found it or how I accessed it.

mllaneza
05-06-2005, 08:04 AM
The merchant ships aren't listed under anyone's navy, they're in their own section of the recognition manual - and sorry, I don't remember what the German is for 'target'.

The_Third_Half
05-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by mllaneza:
The merchant ships aren't listed under anyone's navy, they're in their own section of the recognition manual - and sorry, I don't remember what the German is for 'target'.

Heh, isn't it " Shipsspotted kaluen ?"
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

DerKomet
05-06-2005, 05:59 PM
I think its under the "Handelschiffe" section