PDA

View Full Version : Can I Install 1946 and Still Keep My Old PF Settings?

Rodger1944
03-25-2007, 08:13 PM
I've been flying PF using the 404M patch for some time now and have really become "at home" with all of the settings. In addition, I've built on the current installation to include a lot of new skins, trac files and quick flight configurations.

I've just purchased IL2 1946 and want to install it. Is there a way I can install the new game without over deleting the old game or over writing all of my old settings?

I've got a lot of time invested in the old game and I don't want to start all over again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Rodger1944
03-25-2007, 08:13 PM
I've been flying PF using the 404M patch for some time now and have really become "at home" with all of the settings. In addition, I've built on the current installation to include a lot of new skins, trac files and quick flight configurations.

I've just purchased IL2 1946 and want to install it. Is there a way I can install the new game without over deleting the old game or over writing all of my old settings?

I've got a lot of time invested in the old game and I don't want to start all over again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

MaxMhz
03-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Your old FB+ game is installed in directory
/Program Files/Ubi <space>Soft/IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles/

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 is installed in
/Program Files/Ubisoft/IL-2 Sturmovik 1946/

This is another directory. Nothing from the old install will be overwritten or changed. It will keep working. Sturmovik 1946 will also work.

You can make extra shortcut(s) on the desktop to different game versions too and run them by copying the old game folder with everything in it and using explorer to browse to the folder. right-click on il2.exe or il2fb.exe and drag it to the desktop releasing it there and select 'make shortcut here'.
Then patch the game at the old location and do the same - after that rename the shortcut(s) by right clicking, select properties and 'rename'
I do this before any patch - If I don't like it there's a very easy way back then. AND I can compare the newer patched game this way easy to the older version http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
do check there is enough room on the disk before starting the copy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif - right click the game main directory in explorer and select 'properties' will show the size needed.

Hope this helps.

Rodger1944
03-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks so much for the response. Obviously, since the new game will be installed in a separate directory from the old, they will both be independent of one another.

Your second comment is of interest to me. Copying the old game files is an interesting concept, however, I always thought that the new patches would somehow change some of my registry entries and prevent me from just going back to my old layout.

Is anything changed in the registry - or other parts of the system - when you install these patches? If the answer is "no", it certainly would simplify things.

Once again, thanks for your input. It certainly did answer my question.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MaxMhz:
Your old FB+ game is installed in directory
/Program Files/Ubi &lt;space&gt;Soft/IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles/

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 is installed in
/Program Files/Ubisoft/IL-2 Sturmovik 1946/

This is another directory. Nothing from the old install will be overwritten or changed. It will keep working. Sturmovik 1946 will also work.

You can make extra shortcut(s) on the desktop to different game versions too and run them by copying the old game folder with everything in it and using explorer to browse to the folder. right-click on il2.exe or il2fb.exe and drag it to the desktop releasing it there and select 'make shortcut here'.
Then patch the game at the old location and do the same - after that rename the shortcut(s) by right clicking, select properties and 'rename'
I do this before any patch - If I don't like it there's a very easy way back then. AND I can compare the newer patched game this way easy to the older version http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
do check there is enough room on the disk before starting the copy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif - right click the game main directory in explorer and select 'properties' will show the size needed.

Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RxMan
03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
If it's your key settings and such you are worried about, they are in the "USERS" folder, just copy the folder inside it that is your user name and paste it in the new version in the 'USERS' folder of course.