PDA

View Full Version : Navigation, Waypoints, and Ground Control

junga1298
01-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Hello again. After reading through the manual, I can find no information as to how to translate the radio messages from the ground crew. Am I supposed to simply get to each waypoint on my own, or is the comm option for heading to target the way to get my proper heading.

During the carrier takeoff single mission, I make requests for heading to target and it keeps changing. Then there's a radio comm that comes in telling me a heading and an altitude. The altitude jumps from "01 (350)" to "20 (6500)". ?????? I can't make heads or tails of it. Are the "350" and "6500" in meters? I get these within 30 seconds of each other, and the cycle, so am I now then supposed to bounce from 350 to 6500 back and forth?

Please help???? I'm totally confuzzled.

Thanks, all.

/Jules

junga1298
01-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Hello again. After reading through the manual, I can find no information as to how to translate the radio messages from the ground crew. Am I supposed to simply get to each waypoint on my own, or is the comm option for heading to target the way to get my proper heading.

During the carrier takeoff single mission, I make requests for heading to target and it keeps changing. Then there's a radio comm that comes in telling me a heading and an altitude. The altitude jumps from "01 (350)" to "20 (6500)". ?????? I can't make heads or tails of it. Are the "350" and "6500" in meters? I get these within 30 seconds of each other, and the cycle, so am I now then supposed to bounce from 350 to 6500 back and forth?

Please help???? I'm totally confuzzled.

Thanks, all.

/Jules

money_money
01-08-2006, 10:06 AM
here is something I learnt here, as far as following waypoints. On the compass in most of the aircraft(think its called a repeater compass???) there is a secondary needle that points to the waypoint. when you get to that waypoint it turns to ponit to the next. But it wont tell u altitude.

<3 $

Zeus-cat
01-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Regrettably, the best thing to do is ignore the radio chatter. All the different flights are calling on the same frequency and it is very hard to figure out when it is your flight that is being talked to.

The best thing to do is to follow the guy on front of you if he is in the same flight. Also, cut the corners on the waypoints as the AI planes can outfly you all day long. Do NOT climb as fast as the AI, they can do it better than you. Keep your speed up and climb slowly to match their altitude.

Study the map so that you know where you are going once you are in the air.

money_money is right, some planes have compasses that indicate the direction of the next waypoint. You will need to pass within approximately 1 km of each waypoint to get this function to work correctly.

Zeus-cat

heywooood
01-08-2006, 12:13 PM
waypoints are simply a reference. You do not have to fly over them...the only time it becomes an issue in the game is when you are flight leader...your line indicating the 'next waypoint' can be ignored if you are not the leader...but if you ARE leading a flight and you ignore the waypoints, the command 'return to base' will cause the AI planes to fly all the way back to the last waypoint that the line indicates was next.
Instead, you must remember to tell the flight to 'proceed to the next waypoint' if you miss or ignore one, and then 'rejoin' afterwards...then 'return to base' will work correctly.

zoinksu52
01-08-2006, 12:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
You will need to pass within approximately 1 km of each waypoint to get this function to work correctly.

Zeus-cat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is altitude a factor or just getting near it good enough? and i was wondering why i always landed alone when i am leader...stopped being a leader as i didn't seem qualified.

Saunders1953
01-08-2006, 02:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">waypoints are simply a reference. You do not have to fly over them...the only time it becomes an issue in the game is when you are flight leader...your line indicating the 'next waypoint' can be ignored if you are not the leader...but if you ARE leading a flight and you ignore the waypoints, the command 'return to base' will cause the AI planes to fly all the way back to the last waypoint that the line indicates was next.
Instead, you must remember to tell the flight to 'proceed to the next waypoint' if you miss or ignore one, and then 'rejoin' afterwards...then 'return to base' will work correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I learn something new every day here. Thanks Heywood.

Zeus-cat
01-08-2006, 09:21 PM
If you are flying with no intent of using the autopilot, you can ignore all the waypoints and altitude references. If you turn the autopilot on and off (like I do on long flights), then you need to get "close" to the waypoints as I said earlier. Altitiude doesn't count for waypoints.

If I know how to fly the particular plane I am in, I do the following:

1) Start engines, set flaps, takeoff, lift gear and flaps, open radiator one or two notches, set prop pitch and any other settings I want.

2) Pause the game and set icon settings to eliminate range, set friend or foe range to 3km, plane type to 2km.

3) Hit autopilot

4) Hit 8X time acceleration

5) Check the minimap for my location (minimap icons are turned off).

6) Scan the skies for enemy aircraft.

7) Reduce time to normal near turns. 4X and 8X in turns can be disastrous as the AI don't do it well.

8) Once we get to the area where I expect things to be fun, I slow to normal or 2X and disengage autopilot.

9) I return to about 10km out from base using autopilot and 8X. If damaged, I return to base on my own (no autopilot).

10) I land and taxi on my own.

Zeus-cat

Tully__
01-09-2006, 04:18 AM
I like to fly the whole mission using pilotage (sometimes) in realtime if I'm flying at or near full difficulty. This is possible (even easy, as deviation due to wind is not modelled) even on maps that are mostly ocean if you're good with basic trigonometry and pay attention to the difference between indicated and true airspeeds.