PDA

View Full Version : CrazyIvan: Three new releases, combined package / distribution?

AWL_Spinner
03-31-2006, 05:37 AM
Whilst I'm thrilled that there's so much good stuff coming in the near future, I'd like to ask if the three new named addons will be available in one retail package at any point.

We have just received this beautiful new DVD to tidy up the whole thing and give us ONE install and now, apparently, we'll be back up to four discs again with three new retail packages.

I think it'd be a mistake to only offer these individually as you're BOUND to get people who can only source some of them, not all of them, etc. etc. and there IS a danger of it fragmenting the online community (I know this has been said before, but it's always been in the context of single releases, not three back to back - remember how difficult it became for new users to find AEP!). Obviously this point is not a concern if they are all available for download.

Please clarify, if you can, exactly how these are going to be marketed and distributed. If online, will one download be offered with all three in one package, same goes for retail CD.

If you have influence, please argue the case for one combined release so at the end of the day we can have:

IL2 Combined DVD Release -> 4.04
Pe2 / 46 Combined Release -> 4.07 (or whatever it becomes)

This is liable to keep everyone happy and it must SURELY be easier for the distributor / publisher as well as the end user, who will have a much easier time finding one box in stores!

Thanks!

AWL_Spinner
04-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Bump for clarity!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

crazyivan1970
04-01-2006, 01:03 AM
I have a little info on addons mate. When i know more, i will deffinitely share.

Last thing i heard that they might be avail only in Europe, just like DVD. Still puzzles me why. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

knightflyte
04-01-2006, 01:56 AM
It will only fragment the online flyers.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Personally I'll buy all three to continue support for the fine product we enjoy.

ZappaTime
04-01-2006, 06:09 AM
Yeah, I second the comments, one combined release would be better, 3 smaller releases - we will be back to square 1. This 3-in-1 add-on disc would give the series legs well into BOB's appearance (and I suspect like me, a few people are considering a PC upgrade for BOB and with major processor (AM2) and quad-graphics card releases on the horizon a little longer for BOB might not be a bad thing)

VW-IceFire
04-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
I have a little info on addons mate. When i know more, i will deffinitely share.

Last thing i heard that they might be avail only in Europe, just like DVD. Still puzzles me why. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Ahhh...that'd be bloody crazy. UbiSoft...they have an online store. Let us buy it in Canada and the US too...

Doesn't matter where the publisher is these days...Canada is ALWAYS screwed.

Skycat_2
04-01-2006, 09:11 AM
So will all three "Russian Addons" be carried by UbiSoft? I read some backchatter at SimHQ that led me believe that 1C was going with another publisher on some or all of these upcoming titles.

I understand the marketing plan is to release one every few months and hope to get more money overall this way. Personally I think that this strategy will implode because it is more confusing to consumers than the FB+AEP+PF sequential build was. We're going to run into the exact same problems as we did with FB, AEP and PF did where people won't be able to find Pe-2 when they decide to buy "Manchuria." Also, if Pacific Fighters as a 'standalone game' had poor returns in North America, how well can we expect an expansion based on a Russian dive bomber to do? Only the PFm hardcore players and some of the new DVD's converts are going to get excited about this.

IMO, the Russian expansions trilogy needs to be bundled to survive in the overall market. The addon pack can be placed with the new DVD pack. I don't think that is asking too much or is unrealistic, considering that the business plan is to have all three of these expansions released by July anyhow.

goshikisen
04-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by crazyivan1970:

DVD and Add-ons only in Europe? When was this decided? I'm sitting here in NA waiting to hand you my money... you're kidding, right?

heywooood
04-01-2006, 01:10 PM
I dont care where they are released as long as I can get them and can install them without any b/s problems.

ucanfly
04-01-2006, 03:32 PM
When I heard that the DVD wouldn't be available in the retail stores in US , it was only logical to conclude that the addons wouldn't be available either. For the addons you pretty much have to get either FB+AEP+PF or IL2GOLD + PF which is harder to find over here. That's asking alot of a new buyer.

I guess the publisher doesn't think the US market is worth it - which to be honest puts me off with the whole thing a bit.I am sure I am not alone in this thinking which means not only are you not attracting new buyers but you are alienating some of your old fans.

Good move guys.

mandrill7
04-01-2006, 03:52 PM
I think the guy who asked whether the average gamer in the USA would be interested in paying for a bunch of new Russian a/c probably hit the nail on the head. The add-ons are likely only going to appeal to Europeans or the hard-core historical flight sim gang who will mail order them anyway. (Just like all of us will. Right?)

The only ? I have is this: Will all the add-ons be the same price? Given the fact that the VVS '46 add-on will contain all 3. Hmmm.... does this mean I can choose to pay, say $20.00 and get all 3 add-ons in July?? Or $60.00 and get them in 3 installments??

steiner562
04-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I know Maddox is a busy man but I would like to see a response/explanation on this matter to be honest.

Tooz_69GIAP
04-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by mandrill7:
The only ? I have is this: Will all the add-ons be the same price? Given the fact that the VVS '46 add-on will contain all 3. Hmmm.... does this mean I can choose to pay, say $20.00 and get all 3 add-ons in July?? Or $60.00 and get them in 3 installments??

That is wrong, it was a mistake that Ivan corrected. The VVS-46 add-on WILL NOT include the previous two. What was meant to be said was that you need the previous two add-ons in order to install the VVS-46 add-on. So it will be three seperate purchases.

mandrill7
04-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:
That is wrong, it was a mistake that Ivan corrected. The VVS-46 add-on WILL NOT include the previous two. What was meant to be said was that you need the previous two add-ons in order to install the VVS-46 add-on. So it will be three seperate purchases.

Rather more logical.

crazyivan1970
04-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by goshikisen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:

DVD and Add-ons only in Europe? When was this decided? I'm sitting here in NA waiting to hand you my money... you're kidding, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, what day is it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Taylortony
04-01-2006, 08:17 PM
The only reasoning I can come up with is the Copyright issues they were having with Aircraft makers in their Countries of origin...... All I can think is as the game was published it was agreed that say they would not released it again after initial one.... possibly why AEP dissapeared????

As this is a re-release in new packaging, is this the US being deprived to avoid costly Royalties and the Sue you if you fart Mentality in the USA?

bhunter2112
04-01-2006, 11:09 PM
I just ordered the DVD from Gogamer. Kind of a shame that it is not on the shelves in US. Hopefully we can get the russian add-ons in a combine DVD. Are they trying to ruin this game?

GR142-Pipper
04-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by bhunter2112:
I just ordered the DVD from Gogamer. Kind of a shame that it is not on the shelves in US. Hopefully we can get the russian add-ons in a combine DVD. Are they trying to ruin this game? Good question. I think it's pretty clear that there doesn't seem to be a clear and coherent strategy with regard to distribution and subsequent upgrades. Presently, it's completely disjointed. This niche market is tough enough when things are done right; it's terribly unforgiving when things aren't done right. Maddox certainly has programming talent but that's just not enough to sustain a company. The marketing/distribution/support strategy is just vacant.

GR142-Pipper

Testus01
04-03-2006, 04:09 AM
" Well, what day is it? " (crazyivan1970)

April fools, yes ... One can laugh of everything, but not with everyone..., too bad.

Get going and thanks for your support

__________________________________________________ __

"Let me see if I've got this straight: in order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy and I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy any more and I have to keep flying." Catch-22 quote.