PDA

View Full Version : BETTER DAMAGE MODEL!

U-5051989
04-13-2005, 09:25 PM
I know this is what a lot of other people say, but our U-boats need a better damage model. This doesn't go for AI vessels (I love knocking parts off ships with the deck gun!) Along with this goes the better "game over" screen. Like I'm sure everyone thinks, it ruins the realism when you put a screen that blurbs how you died istead of actually showing it. All we want is a simple U-boat implosion or our boat drifting off into the darkness of the deep. Don't get me wrong, the Romanians did a fantastic job with this game, but they owe us a decent death.

Mjollnir111675
04-13-2005, 09:29 PM
I agree 505.

But I disagree on the AI ships damage model.
Above the water line its tits!
But below have you seen it?
It looks like black burlap laid over the hull.
I'd like to see some gaping holes and separated/buckled armor plates.

The BURLAP EFFECT as I call it is lame as all get out.
So is the sub damage.
And allocation I believe.
I had 2 depthcharges fall on each side of my bow torp room and the damage was transferred to the aft quarters. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
But the exterior damage modellinf def needs some improvement!!

U-5051989
04-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Now that you mention it, I totally agree with you on your burlap effect.

U-5051989
04-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Even though it is a "burlap effect", it still is better than some games were the ships go down perfectly intact.

Indianer.
04-14-2005, 12:16 AM
I totally agree with the need for a more complex damage model. Nothing seems to happen apart from the conning tower and flak/deck guns destroyed.

Even when this damage does occur it is not visable, no dents, scratches etc.

as for the death scene...well that needs a complete overhall.

Krichbaum
04-14-2005, 02:53 AM
I totally agree, we need a mod that makes a gaping hole with twisted metal and water puring in where the torpedo has hit. Furthermore when a ship sunk after a torpedohit all the masts broke of and gallons of steam came pumping up the chimney

Wolf52371
04-14-2005, 09:32 AM
All i want is the bismarck modeled correctly. That hull should be impregnable to most rounds.

xanty
04-14-2005, 09:48 AM
I think the current "hit-burn effect" needs to be much darker and detailed. The texture they are using is not good enough. Maybe it is like that for mapping reasons.

As for a "3D hole", I doubt it will happen, since that brings up a major issue: to have a 3D hole, you need a "mobile" alpha-cut texture to make the actual hole on the hull (which stays after impacts). That seems like a major piece of work. It is what happens to games like CFS or Il2. They use a texture over the current skin, but to make holes you need a mapped alpha channel and texture, and because the impact area changes depending where u hit... it would be very complex (some areas are hard to map or it would require a different model, IE: kill, ruder/screw, etc).

And yes, some improvement on the dead screen would be a nice bonus.

Slingn
04-14-2005, 09:52 AM
i agree, Also i'd likes to see more ship traffic inand out of ports, or at least some ships docked in harbor.