PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION: Why there is no option for crew to speak german ?!?!?!

von_Krysiak
04-07-2005, 06:07 AM
I think subject says it all. Why not give the option to put german speech? I mean game is godly but this thing is the only BIG flaw in the system. Are there any planse to change it?
thats for any answers guys.

gnipper1977
04-07-2005, 06:12 AM
There IS an option for this I think (tho i dont use it)

Check out the Options > audio and im 99.9% sure you can change the language!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

mightyduck100
04-07-2005, 06:22 AM
gnipper1977 is right.

If you go into the Sound Options. Change the voices from English to German.

This puts you in "Das Boot" mode with German audio and English subtitles. I can hear Jurgen Prochnow already "Teefer chief". ;-)

This is certainly true of the EMEA version anyway.

Deerslayer2005
04-07-2005, 06:22 AM
There is as I use it.

dmm_u333
04-07-2005, 06:24 AM
ja, das ist korrect! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

von_Krysiak
04-07-2005, 06:53 AM
Hmmm, I feel stupid now ;-)
Thanks for help you saved my hope in humanity !

Lassen
04-07-2005, 06:56 AM
yea thanks for that... I'll use it from now on

Poacher886a
04-07-2005, 07:20 AM
No offence,but i cant belive people start games without going through the options!!??

Lassen
04-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Why go through the options? I generally change things if I aint happy with it.

Back to the topic, playing it now and it's so much better... hit crash dive and you get ALLLAAARM!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif weeeeee!

meowcat999
04-07-2005, 07:30 AM
This was the first thing i did. Although i don't speak a word of german, and have all the text in english i almost fell of my chair when i heard the crew talking in American accents.

what were they thinking?

bweiss
04-07-2005, 07:35 AM
What was who thinking?

The German speaking crews works perfectly. You set the option in the main setup area, the middle option above the "accept changes", if it isn't working, then it is something wrong with your install or setup, not the game which has the crews speaking German very nicely.

quillan
04-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Yes, that's the way I'm running it. It's great. Wait till you hear the sonar guy call out "wasserbombs".

von_Krysiak
04-07-2005, 07:46 AM
All rite and how about CRASH DIVE sound? I mean it was my favorite part in sh2 especially the one with ALAAAAAARM !!!!!! Is it still there? couse english version is weak...

der|zerst0rer|
04-07-2005, 08:00 AM
OMG, are there really people who play SHIII with English voices?

Unholy.

von_Krysiak
04-07-2005, 08:08 AM
well there are only because they dont know how to change it.
I didnt know it is in main menu - I never went there as my machine is powerful enough to play on nmormal settings. I onl o to settings to lower them hehe.

infacto
04-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Ok now I feel bad that I was using english .
But there is still hope for me when i get off this forum and leave work Im gonna change it to german. ja

Infacto

mightyduck100
04-07-2005, 09:03 AM
So I hope you feel totally chastened now infacto. ;-)

Can't say I know what the English voices sound like. First thing I did was look for the "Enable Jurgen Prochnow in Das Boot not Dune mode" option but in the end had to settle for the German Voices.

meowcat999
04-07-2005, 09:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bweiss:
What was who thinking?
The German speaking crews works perfectly.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes i know, that's why i said it's the first thing i changed.

my point was why do the english voices have american accents? they should be german accented

bweiss
04-07-2005, 09:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ok now I feel bad that I was using english. But there is still hope for me when i get off this forum and leave work Im gonna change it to german. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not at all me good ladd, happens to best of U-Booten commanders. Which explains in part why 800 boats are on the bottom of the Atlantic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Yes my goodness, the ALLLARRRRRRRMMMMM sound is great, as are the other commands. Oh I'd have changed a voice or two here and there but basically it's all good. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NaturalBornGoth
04-07-2005, 09:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meowcat999:
my point was why do the english voices have american accents? they should be german accented <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because fake accents sound very stupid and totally destroy the mood with their stupidness.

Capt._Tenneal
04-07-2005, 09:31 AM
I have a crew of German-Americans who were, through no fault of their own, were in Germany when the war started and were forced to join the Navy and were assigned to a U-boat. We're the only English speaking U-boat in the Kriegsmarine. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

mike_j_parry
04-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Glad you got it sorted - I've had it on German since the start - very cool! Although it worries me that there are so many people that don't have a flick through the manuals, readme files or options screens just in case there might be something they'd not expect.

Oh, shut up Mike. I've just spent the day telling people what is in their manuals (which they could have read), getting threatened (because they think I'm wrong) - the life of a sales assistant... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

As for all the german stuff - have you tried using voice commands in the game yet? I've tweaked my Shoot profile and got "ALARM!" for crash dive and "Alle machine shtop"! for all stop. I'm working on the german for the rest of it, but I have to spell them all in a way that the MS Speech Engine will recognize them properly - like "Alla mashin shtop", etc..

Any ideas?

Hertston
04-08-2005, 01:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meowcat999:

my point was why do the english voices have american accents? they should be german accented <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What on earth for?

The whole point of having the English option at all is for those people who (not speaking German) would like to now what is actually being said. Putting on a daft pseudo-German accent is unnecessary, and would make it harder to understand.

Native Germans with a good command of English sound nothing like a Hollywood "German accent", and although they would be easy to understand wouldn't sound "right" either.

InfectiousDust
04-08-2005, 01:22 PM
I wish they would scream a little more. Over-the-top German voices are entertaining, everytime!

ChaytonWarrior
04-08-2005, 02:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Poacher886:
No offence,but i cant belive people start games without going through the options!!?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome in the console gamers world http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.
On the Vietcong forum i encountered lots of people complaining that the tunnel missions are too hard, because its so dark and you only have 5 of this green lights. *rolls eyes* first i saw when i checked the controles at the begin was the F for "flashlight".
My friend was just like that for a while, complained about that his FIFA game looks much worster than mine, i "did you ever checked out the graphic options in the 3d setup menu" and he "uhm no" and there you got it.
First thing i do at a computer game, is to go to the options screen, already to put all the graphic details to full, most games seem to believe that my pc cant handle it, i always have to change that, oh well.

NaturalBornGoth
04-08-2005, 07:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hertston:
Native Germans with a good command of English sound nothing like a Hollywood "German accent", and although they would be easy to understand wouldn't sound "right" either. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**** right! Da hast du verdammt nochmal recht! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
04-08-2005, 08:09 PM
I have the whole game set to German - voices and text. I get so much into it that I sometimes find myself saying "Tauchen das boot" and other stuff.

I agree with the earlier poster who said "what were they thinking" regarding the American voices. I mean, what German crew would have spoken English with an American accent?

Lassen
04-08-2005, 09:36 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by meowcat999:
my point was why do the english voices have american accents? they should be german accented
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because fake accents sound very stupid and totally destroy the mood with their stupidness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the Amreican accents dont sound fake??

Why not get Germans to speak english? There's nothing fake about that. DOnt get me worng, having discovered German voices ingame, I cant see why anyone would play the game without but come on.. if your gonna have english voices in a german sub, at least have them with german accents rather than yank!

NaturalBornGoth
04-08-2005, 09:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lassen:
And the Amreican accents dont sound fake??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. While they might not be authentic for a German crew, they are not fake because they are spoken by native American speakers, as far as i know. Things become fake when a native American tries to perform what he BELIEVES to be a German accent. Sure, they could have made native Germans deliver the English lines, but maybe they didn't bother to find voice talents for this purpose.

Pr0metheus 1962
04-08-2005, 09:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lassen:
And the Amreican accents dont sound fake?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. At least with fake German accents they're faking the English voice of someone who would actually have had a German accent. The people who made the American voices in this game are faking an accent that would never have been heard aboard a U-Boat - they're faking a fake accent. I'm not sure how some folks can believe that multiplying the fakery is better.

Pr0metheus 1962
04-08-2005, 10:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NaturalBornGoth:
While they might not be authentic for a German crew, they are not fake because they are spoken by native American speakers, as far as i know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt that very much. The American accents don't sound authentic to me. Studying accents and dialects is a bit of a hobby of mine, and the American accents in this game sound too generic to be real American-speakers, and they're a bit too stilted. I would estimate that the voice actors were European - most likely English.