PDA

View Full Version : Il-2 on Wide Screen

JastaV
08-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi everybody,

Did anyone try Il-2 program with a Wide Screen PC monitor.
How does it looks?????

Is the image all over the screen or we have lateral black stripes?????

And, finally what is the recommended resolution????

Thanks for attention,....and yes, I'm looking for a new PC monitor!!!!!!

JastaV

Scragbat
08-02-2007, 02:10 PM
I've got it running @ 1680x1050 on my Xerox 22" and it looks sweet. Plane dots at distance can be a little tough to see but the gains are worth it. There's so much to see!!

No black borders if you set the conf.ini correct.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">[window]
width=1680
height=1050
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0</span>

JastaV
08-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Scragbat:
I've got it running @ 1680x1050 on my Xerox 22" and it looks sweet. Plane dots at distance can be a little tough to see but the gains are worth it. There's so much to see!!

No black borders if you set the conf.ini correct.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">[window]
width=1680
height=1050
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0</span>

Thanks Scragbat, it's that I was looking for.
Guess, I'll contact my reference PC shop for a live test session with Il-2 before going buing the new monitor: I'm looking to a Samsung 26'' Widescreen.

Scragbat
08-02-2007, 02:30 PM
You won't look back...

Oh and BTW... After applying the conf.ini settings only the gameplay will be full widescreen. The main menu will be in 4:3 aspect with black borders either side and text ingame (chat, speedbar, minimap etc.,) will appear within the limits of 4:3 inset but everything else will look OK...

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-02-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm running those same settings on a Dell 2707WFP and those dots are as big as houseflies. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and it's incredible.

TB

JastaV
08-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Scragbat:
You won't look back...

Oh and BTW... After applying the conf.ini settings only the gameplay will be full widescreen. The main menu will be in 4:3 aspect with black borders either side and text ingame (chat, speedbar, minimap etc.,) will appear within the limits of 4:3 inset but everything else will look OK...

Any comment as regard Rensponce Rates:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5161095975

Choctaw111
08-03-2007, 05:48 PM
1920x1200 here and it is amazing! I absolutely love it!

JastaV
08-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I decided in favour of a Samsung SyncMaster 245B
24" Widescreen; Max Res. 1920x1200; Responce time 5ms.

I'll have it home tomorrow evening!!!!!

JastaV

Capt.LoneRanger
08-09-2007, 10:14 AM
IL2 sux on a wide-screen.

Sure I don't want to not spoil your fun in this sim, so I suggest you send me your widescreen-monitor and I send you my 17".

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

WOLFMondo
08-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by JastaV:

JastaV

Watch out for the input lag! I'd check to see if they've fixed it since late last year on that model. It can be up to 40ms.

Doolittle81
08-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Widescreen works fine for me:
Samsung SyncMaster 244T
24" Widescreen 1920x1200

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
1680x1050 on a 20" Samsung. You will never go back to normal resolution after experiencing the sim in widescreen. Add perfect mode with AA and AF and you got a brand new sim.

Intel Core2Duo e6400
2GB OCZ PC 5400
Soundblaster X-FI Extreme
eVGA 7950GT 512MB
X-52
CH Pro Pedals
TIR 4

S!

csthopper
08-09-2007, 01:31 PM
dammit now i want to leave work early, i have a 24 inch that been running at 1600x1200 instead of 1900x1600...curses

zardozid
08-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Does anyone have a screen capture (Jpeg) of IL2 on a wide-screen? I would love to see the difference...

DanoClark
08-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Does anyone have a screen capture (Jpeg) of IL2 on a wide-screen? I would love to see the difference...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel.clarke17/il246_8800GTS/screens.html

JastaV
08-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JastaV:

JastaV

Watch out for the input lag! I'd check to see if they've fixed it since late last year on that model. It can be up to 40ms. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is possible to have a 40ms imput lag with a 5ms responce time?????

Samsung SyncMaster 245B, last year????
I guessed this model has been released more recentely!!!!!

I'll try checking!!!!!

JastaV

Stiletto-
08-09-2007, 04:34 PM
I did a quick screen cap showing the differences between a standard and widescreen monitor. The first pic is of your standard screen ratio with the default field of view, which I believe is somewhere around 70 (it just says normal view in the options menu). The 2nd is of the wide aspect ratio with an increased field of view to 85 to compensate for the increased viewing area. If you leave the default view on, you get the same picture as a "normal" aspect ratio monitor, just with the tops and bottoms cut off, it is just now larger on your screen. (I did not take a screen cap of this as its basically the same as the first pic with black bars on the tops and bottoms.

As you can see, with the 85 degree fov the image is very similar to the default, you can mostly see the concaveness towards the edges which is pretty much outside of what the default monitor would see. So in practice, the wider view is now much more similar to the default view of the first monitor with the added perephrial vision if you can call it that, as you can see in the 3rd picture.

So yes, I would suggest raising the field of view up to 75-85 to take advantage of your new widescreen monitor, as the default fov looks something closer to a gunsight view as everything is expanded bigger and no added perephrial. Hope that makes sense :P

http://webpages.charter.net/scottomatic/fov_comparison.jpg

JastaV
08-09-2007, 06:33 PM

JastaV

I catched this review over Samsung SyncMaster 245B:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2007/review-samsung-245b.html

JastaV
08-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Stiletto-:
I did a quick screen cap showing the differences between a standard and widescreen monitor. The first pic is of your standard screen ratio with the default field of view, which I believe is somewhere around 70 (it just says normal view in the options menu). The 2nd is of the wide aspect ratio with an increased field of view to 85 to compensate for the increased viewing area. If you leave the default view on, you get the same picture as a "normal" aspect ratio monitor, just with the tops and bottoms cut off, it is just now larger on your screen. (I did not take a screen cap of this as its basically the same as the first pic with black bars on the tops and bottoms.

As you can see, with the 85 degree fov the image is very similar to the default, you can mostly see the concaveness towards the edges which is pretty much outside of what the default monitor would see. So in practice, the wider view is now much more similar to the default view of the first monitor with the added perephrial vision if you can call it that, as you can see in the 3rd picture.

So yes, I would suggest raising the field of view up to 75-85 to take advantage of your new widescreen monitor, as the default fov looks something closer to a gunsight view as everything is expanded bigger and no added perephrial. Hope that makes sense :P

http://webpages.charter.net/scottomatic/fov_comparison.jpg

Nice suggestion!

Is there any file to edit to have "85 degree fov" as default view when lauching Il-2????
Any example of command editing????

Thanks

JastaV

WOLFMondo
08-10-2007, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JastaV:

JastaV

Watch out for the input lag! I'd check to see if they've fixed it since late last year on that model. It can be up to 40ms. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is possible to have a 40ms imput lag with a 5ms responce time?????

Samsung SyncMaster 245B, last year????
I guessed this model has been released more recentely!!!!!

I'll try checking!!!!!

JastaV </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My mistake, its the 244T that had that problem and yes, it is possible to have 40ms input lag. Check out widescreengamingforum.com. The guys over there carry out all sorts of tests you won't find elsewhere which really show how a TFT/LCD performs. Very useful site.

JastaV
08-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Alea iacta est!
I have enjoyed Widescreen Il-2 gaming.

Indeed I went to the PC-store with Samsung SyncMaster 245B in my mind, then I returned back home with a Q.Bell 22F-4WB DVI.

With its 1680x1050 resolution, 2ms responce time, 170 vertical/horizontal viewing angle and 3500:1 Dynamic contrast its a great tool for gaming!!!!!
Lag Time is not officialy reported into the Tech Sheet, (an element common to most, when not all LCD models), but it seems like it cannot be noticed.

At PC store I got the opportunity of a first testing session with Il-2: the PC used, was not highly performing indeed!!!!!

I was negatively impressed with the large dots when flying within clouds in bad weather conditions. Anyway I went on with the decision and I bought it.

At home things gone looking under a different light!

The optimal resolution (1680x1050) is not my first choice for working at desktop: I was used to place monitor quite far away, while using the traditional 1024x768 resolution on Letterbox 19" LCD.
With 1680x1050 I need to have the display up my nose when working.

Gaming is a different matter: I was amazed with Il-2 looking at 1680x1050.

THE REAL SURPRISE CAME WITH THE CLOUD DOTS: COMPLETELY GONE WITH MY HOME PC!!!!!
At PC shops I noticed DOTS were visible when flying between clouds, in bad wheater conditions.
I tried different altitude and worsening weather conditions but it seemms like DOTS ARE GONE!!!!!

Guess PC, drivers and expecially GeForce advanced setting made the difference.

As regard PC:

Intel Core Duo Quad 6600

GeForce 8800GTX:
Drivers ver. 158.22 Forceware

MB ASUS P5B Deluxe

DDR-2 Super Talent 2Gb 800MHz

HD SATA-10.000RPM 74 GB: O.S. Primary INSTALLATION, XP

SATA-180 STM3160212A - 215A 160Gb, 7200 rpm,: O.S. Secondary INSTALLATION, XP

HD SATA-7.200RPM 400 GB: O.S. ARCHIVE H.D.

Chassis: CABINET SILVERSTONE TJ03 SILVER

Powerer: Super-Silverstone Zeus 680W

O.S.: XP-PROFESSIONAL

Sound Blaster® X-Fi Xtreme Gamer – Fatal1ty Professional

Creative® GigaWorks™ S750 7.1 speakers

Graphic Processor Cooling system: (Water active cooler)
Alluminium Radiator w1 12x12 with fan
Gigabyte Pump 750/1200 l/h with coolant tank
connection by Cristal Tubes

CPU Cooling system: (liquid passive cooler)
APACK ZEROtherm BFD90

HDs Cooling system: (passive cooler)
Zalman HDD ZM - 2HC2

DDR Cooling system: (passive cooler)
OCZ XTC twin fans & passive cooler

Driver: 158.22 Forceware
I noticed no great improvement in relation to past versions: it's a bunch of weeks I'm using it.

GeForce Advanced Setting propably makes the difference!!!

I'll post soon settings I'm actually using: indeed I had not changed them from PC optimization may be a couple of months ago.
BTW, I'm using the Italian localized version of XP and relative drivers, and I'm not always confident with the English translation of some Tech parameters!!!!!

Hope my findings with the DOTS trouble could be confirmed from other mates.

JastaV

Steven190
08-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Everything I try has the black stripes on the side.

The only thing I can run on the 24" is the default 1600X1200.

Were do yo find the FOV?

JastaV
08-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Steven190:
Everything I try has the black stripes on the side.

The only thing I can run on the 24" is the default 1600X1200.

Were do yo find the FOV?

Commands to set in game FOV are in the Keyboard setting/editing menu.

You can set keyboard commands for some FOV: default, 70, 75, 80,.... or set a couple of commands for gradually increase/decrease FOV.

I was looking for an editing tips allowing to permanentely change in game default FOV......

JastaV

Stiletto-
08-10-2007, 03:24 PM
JastaV, I am unaware if there is way so it will default to the field of view you want everytime instead of the origina, I kind of doubt it. Atleast when you fly missions they are long enough where changinv the FOV when you start up isn't too annoying.

JastaV
08-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Stiletto-:
JastaV, I am unaware if there is way so it will default to the field of view you want everytime instead of the origina, I kind of doubt it. Atleast when you fly missions they are long enough where changinv the FOV when you start up isn't too annoying.

I was using 3 FOV setting since my first experience over Il-2......According to your suggestion I added a 4th one.
Now I have:
1. Default FOV
2. 75 FOV
3. 70 FOV
4. Extremely narrow FOV for enlarged view....a sort of binocuas view.

By the way, any FOV setting can be "enlarged" by the gunsight key***, so actually I'm using 8 different sight setting.

***Gunsight is practicaly usless with some plane types, most of time with Japanese models!!!!

I also noticed that FOV preference is largely influenced by planes you are controlling.

For example with Il-2 models you have the sensation of and extremely near gunsight, it's like if your virtual cockpit seat is placed realy closed to frontal cockpit glass-gunsight.

On the contrary with Bf110G you have a confortable view of the instrument panels, being the virtual seat placed far away from gunsight.

Stiletto-
08-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Yes, sometimes where the actual seat is in the cockpit makes the view seem so different from other cockpits even if it has the same FOV, sometimes the gunsight is too close and sometimes it is too far away, even with the CTRL-F1 view, but atleast its managable in most all planes.

Steven190
08-11-2007, 06:23 AM
A question to those that can run 1920X1200 on a 24" screen.

I have a 8800 GTX and a Dell 2405FPW monitor.

The only full screen resolution I can use is 1600X1200, all the others that I have tried have the black stripes.

How can you get to the 1900X1200? or is it not posible.

JG52Uther
08-11-2007, 07:56 AM
You have to edit the conf.ini file in your main game folder.Look on page 1 of this thread at the yellow text for the sort of thing to edit.

Scharnhorst1943
08-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I just got a Westinghouse 19" widescreen flatpannel. However, I have been dissapointed because the Aspect Ratio is all goofy when I play IL2. It looks like all the planes are smooshed and flattened. I have tried to go to Airwarefaire.com to find thier page explaining all the details of the config.ini file, but I searched and searched and couldn't find it.

Does anyone know what would be a good ration to use for a 19" widescreen, or at least point me in the right direction?

Steven190
08-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks'
I have edited the config.ini file and changed the 1's to 0's and visa versa. When I put in the 1920X1200 the game CTD and does not work.

The only full screen I get is the 1600X1200

That is why I am looking to see if I have missed anything or line command that I am not doing.

Scharnhorst the 19" res should be the 1600X1200

Scharnhorst1943
08-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Steven,

I had crashes to desktop, (or the game actually did not start up at all) on certain resolutions. When I changed the res in the config file to 1600x1200, my game does not start up, so I have to change it back to the one I was using before ... maybe it is a per monitor thing? Just so you know, I am having the same issue. The other thing that may be the problem is that Vista can run certain resolutions while XP can't? I don't know ...

Persecutor_352
08-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Gents,

For most (maybe that should read many) widescreen monitors the native resolution is 1680x1050. Many LCDs aren't happy when they aren't set to their default resolutions. You should check your monitor's specifications to see what the native resolution is; if what you are trying to "force" your monitor to display is different, try the native resolution. Chances are very good that your problems will go away.

IL2setup does not permit the setting of a 1680x1050 resolution; you need to manually set it in your config.ini file as noted earlier in this thread.

Pay particular attention to spelling. It is very easy to mistype a line in your config.ini file and end up with an unplayable game (until the config.ini is fixed). Because of that it is highly advisable to backup your config.ini file first before making any edits.

These are very basic steps but ones that are frequently overlooked by even the geekier among us.

Hope this helps.

Blue skies!!

JastaV
08-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Scharnhorst1943:
Steven,

I had crashes to desktop, (or the game actually did not start up at all) on certain resolutions. When I changed the res in the config file to 1600x1200, my game does not start up, so I have to change it back to the one I was using before ... maybe it is a per monitor thing? Just so you know, I am having the same issue. The other thing that may be the problem is that Vista can run certain resolutions while XP can't? I don't know ...

1. Check your monitor suggested resolution, (example: QQQQ x WWWW).

2. Locate window section into Il-2 conf.ini file.

3. Put in width/height fields your monitor recommended resolution.

[window]
width=QQQQ
height=WWWW
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

NOTE: before going on with the attempt check your Graphic processor is supporting any resolution your are going to use.

Have fun

JastaV

Doolittle81
08-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Steven190:
A question to those that can run 1920X1200 on a 24" screen.

I have a 8800 GTX and a Dell 2405FPW monitor.

The only full screen resolution I can use is 1600X1200, all the others that I have tried have the black stripes.

How can you get to the 1900X1200? or is it not posible.

I have a 24" and the GTX8800 card. No prob getting 1920X1200.
Your Dell monitor should have a native res of 1920X1200, and should work fine for IL2/PF/1946.
As written elsewhere , change the config.ini. Be Precise, it is 1920X1200 NOT 1900X1200

If you have VISTA, your changes will not take effect if you installed the game into the C:\Program Files folder. You should install the game into some other folder..I do a C:\MyGames. VISTA prevents changing files, such as conf.ini.

I think that after you have changed the conf.ini, if you open up the in-game Setup window/routine, your res settings can be overridden and reset to something else, like 1600X1200 maybe.

Good Luck

WTENewy
06-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Is there any way to fix the FOV through the bombsights so that it doesn't cut off the top and bottom?

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t241/newmannator/grab0000.jpg

TheGozr
06-06-2009, 10:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mB4jWYX6J0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfQv58Z9jRs

grifter2u
06-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Nice suggestion!

Is there any file to edit to have "85 degree fov" as default view when lauching Il-2????
Any example of command editing????

Thanks

JastaV

jastav,

it is NOT correct that a widescreen monitor in il2 gives you more lateral or peripheral vision then a 4:3 or 5:4 monitor

what it does do, is that if you edit your ini file to display the widescreen resolution (and it can do this in the native resolution of th monitor, for ex at 1920 x 1200), it will fill your monitor screen with video (without black borders) but a small strip will be cut of the bottom and top of your screen. in practice this is not a big issue, the video will fill your screen and look very good, the small strip you loose at top and bottom dont really matter. there is some good posts in this forum, with screenshots to illustrate this.

btw, if you have a 24' monitor your "normal" FoV in il2 should probably be something like 45 or 50, not 70 or 80. the issue with your "normal FoV setting" in il2 is that it will depend on your monitor size, and the distance you sit from it. if set correctly, all ingame objects like planes and trucks will be displayed in their correct sizes (and therefore you should be able to see them from the same distances as you would in real life)

i have use a 27' monitor myself for the last couple of years in il2, and at normal viewing distance from an lcd monitor that makes my "normal FoV" for il2 about 50 or 55. if i would set the field artificially wider than my monitor allows (for ex 90), then all ingame objects (like distant planes, vehicles on the ground like tanks etc..) will shrink in size and be artificially smaller and much harder to see. if you sit closer then normal distance from your monitor, then your FoV setting could be increased, but sitting that much closer is uncomfortable to the eyes after a while.