PDA

View Full Version : Custom resolution ?

WSTE_M
09-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi!
Does anyone know if it is possible to set the game resoution at anything higher than 1600x1200 ?

I would like to set it at 1920x1200 (my screen size)

I tried to look for any game preferences that could be changed, but I could only find an unreadable Graphics.ini file within the Application Support folder. Is there some other way ?

alt_PerfectShot
09-30-2005, 05:31 PM
*BUMP*

I'd be curious to know as well...
These new laptops with 1920x1200 screens keep up with the latest gaming desktops...

And that's what I'll be having once I go mobile. ;-)

WSTE_M if you don't get a responce here, check out
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/ .

If there's a way to get it running at a custom or wide screen size, this will be the placed where it will be posted...

You can always ask someone to look into it and hack it for you... Its often not a big deal, except that you'll have to adjust the FOV (1600x1200 doesn't sound wide to me).

Good luck - and if anyone knows how to get that high of res, please post!

Rev-O
10-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Uncheck 'Recommended Displays' button under the Resolution Slider in the Options>Graphics pane. Seems to open up all the widescreen resolutions. I'm running it Widescreen at 2560 x 1600 on my 30" Cinema Display http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Just switched it to this res, so no feedback on how severely performance is going to suffer at that massive resolution, tho!

maryc64
10-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Hmm...anyone doing this with an LCD screen?
I've never attempted an over-ride of those settings.
Should I? What would happen? I'm not recommending that others try as I don't want to encourage an catastrophe. I've got quite a strong computer, though.
Computer and LCD screen may be unrelated, though. It may depend upon the LCD screen and its quality?

What's the worst? I've not researched this.
And is it worth it?
Are the graphics enhanced that much? Share! Please!
I'll research a bit about over-riding LCD's rec. resolution, but this is interesting and glad you brought it up!
What? And new laptops are offering a higher resolution?
Geesh! For the price of a laptop it's probably cheaper than waiting for the improved/higher recommended LCD's screen resolution prices to drop for some.
Interesting topic!

hogarth...
10-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Your LCD screen has an "optimal" resolution - check the documentation that came with your display or computer to see what this is. For best image quality - although not necessarily for the smoothest game play - the game should be set to the same res as your display.
In most cases, though, you will get much better game performance - higher frame rate and smoother movement - if your game is set to a lower resolution than your normal monitor settings. Fewer pixels for your vidcard to think about = faster performance.

Of course, your mileage will vary depending on the power and capabilities of your vidcard, as well as the general architecture of your machine - processor clock speed, system RAM, internal bus speed, sound card, etc.

alt_PerfectShot
10-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Good to know about this checkbox Recommended Displays...

LCDs have their optimal resolution at their max resolutions (with CRTs it seems to be the other way around).

A Dell iXPS laptop should be able to handle the game at the full resolution without a hick-up (1920x1200?).

If you go to the max, make sure to disable aliasing...
Or try going a step down and some screens might actually alias the game a bit for you...

There are different opinions about this, but I've preferred a over b on my LCD screens.

a) Play at max resolution, graphic drivers set for performance (no ASF/ AA)

b) Play at lower resolution, increaes ASF & AA to a playable setting...

Enjoy!