PDA

View Full Version : WooHoo! XP croaked

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2007, 02:54 PM
All my skins templates, rare photos, missions, downloads, fixes, etc etc etc for Photoshop and Il2

GONE

bye bye. Bye Bye customised templates, bye bye

In other news, I haven;t the slightest idea how I get online now. All that software is on the dead harddrive. I absent-mindedly clicked on IE to see what would happen on this replacement PC

And here I am

PS Vista ain't too cool. I get CTDs from each bit of software I install. I'm told it may be from DX10. I have like 50 programs running in the background, and most of them are apparently necessary. Yayy. Quite underwhelmed. I paid very little for this PC and may look into having XP installed on it

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2007, 02:54 PM
All my skins templates, rare photos, missions, downloads, fixes, etc etc etc for Photoshop and Il2

GONE

bye bye. Bye Bye customised templates, bye bye

In other news, I haven;t the slightest idea how I get online now. All that software is on the dead harddrive. I absent-mindedly clicked on IE to see what would happen on this replacement PC

And here I am

PS Vista ain't too cool. I get CTDs from each bit of software I install. I'm told it may be from DX10. I have like 50 programs running in the background, and most of them are apparently necessary. Yayy. Quite underwhelmed. I paid very little for this PC and may look into having XP installed on it

foxyboy1964
07-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Wow man, thats a bummer loosing all that stuff.

Waldo.Pepper
07-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Bummer! However all may not be lost. Try Spinrite from here.

http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

I expect you will recover quite a lot. I have used it in cases like you describe, as long as the hard drive spins - there is much to hope for.

neural_dream
07-28-2007, 03:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB462cid:
PS Vista ain't too cool. I get CTDs from each bit of software I install. I'm told it may be from DX10. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Richt-click-&gt;run as admin to install old software, incl. il2-1946

Cajun76
07-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Sorry for your loss. Depending on how much it's worth to you, there are companies that may be able to recover the data.

My solution is to have more HD space than I can use, and keep backups. 1,300 GB under the hood, picked up a couple of 500 GB Western Digital at Newegg for $100 each when my power supply took out my old MB, CPU and RAM. The rest of the space came from the newer HDs I had in the old system, running all SATA now.

Partioning keeps things manageable with that much space. The 2 big ones are in thirds, the WD Raptor is halved along with the only oddball, non WD, the 320GB Seagate. 10 sections in all, and I can dedicate whole sections for Pics, Vids and Games.

slipBall
07-28-2007, 03:45 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Oh, the Humanity! ...

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2007, 04:13 PM
already tried right clicking and run as admin

I am also admin on the PC

also tried compatibility mode

Vista has also apparently decided that I no longer need a recycle bin- it's gone, completely gone- I booted up the PC after making some dinner and now the recycle bin has vanished

Vista is not backwards compatible, it is buggy and quite frankly the rumors of it sucking are true. I'm doing what MS says to do, updating files and whatnot, and I'm getting errors left and right whenever I run software. I'm getting somebody to get XP on this machine

Badsight-
07-28-2007, 04:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB462cid:

GONE

bye bye. Bye Bye customised templates, bye bye </div></BLOCKQUOTE>i feel your pain

ever since i lost my first HD , ive become paranoid . 20 gig worth of hundreds of hours of work . gone

SeaFireLIV
07-28-2007, 04:25 PM
It`s a pain. PCs are so more unreliable. just in the week I bought a brand new 79 scanner to scan in my work and get on the net. I was so confident I didn`t even bother to check where I put my receipt. Guess what?

Scanner refuses to work. Drivers, don`t do nothing. Followed the hints and explanations on sites for 2 full days - still won`t have it. then the stupid thing decided to start a type of high pitched whine.

Went to return it and my receipt has absolutely vanished. I`m spend this last weekend looking for it, but if no luck I`ll just have to try and return it without one. Something that should`ve taken 2 hours took 2 days of my art time!!

Who needs scanners, computers, Windows Vista and all that **** when a good old fashioned pencil and paper and old fashioned printing is far more secure and reliable?

Life is far more simpler without the damn PC sometimes.

mortoma
07-28-2007, 04:58 PM
I lost a hard drive once and used a utility called
"getdataback" which is now owned by Runtime software. I was able to recover over 1 gig of MP3 files that took me and my ex-wife over a year to DL on 56k!! Plus a ton of other important files.
Check it out at www.runtime.org (http://www.runtime.org) you may just get all your stuff back with this software. I had all my most cherished files back within one day since I was able to DL the program.

jarink
07-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Is the hard drive dead or just XP? If it's just XP you may be ale to plug the drive into another PC and copy the files from it (or recover XP itself - Fixboot and Fixmbr are wonderful recovery console commands http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ).

I'm not 100% positive on how the downgrade licensing works on home versions of Vista, but I know for sure that you can legally downgrade Vista Business to XP Pro without needing to purchase an XP license. That might be something to look into as it could save you a couple hundred bucks.

mortoma
07-28-2007, 05:02 PM
By the way, I'm somewhat confused since your title indicates it was XP that croaked, then you indicate it was Vista in your post. I take it you typed in XP by habit and meant Vista??

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Negative, mortoma

XP is dead. This is a different PC. It uses Vista

mortoma
07-28-2007, 05:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jarink:
Is the hard drive dead or just XP? If it's just XP you may be ale to plug the drive into another PC and copy the files from it (or recover XP itself - Fixboot and Fixmbr are wonderful recovery console commands http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ).

I'm not 100% positive on how the downgrade licensing works on home versions of Vista, but I know for sure that you can legally downgrade Vista Business to XP Pro without needing to purchase an XP license. That might be something to look into as it could save you a couple hundred bucks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Excellent, I forgot to tell him that, a great idea. Just because a drive's OS won't boot doesn't mean you won't be able to read and access all the files if you attach it as a slave drive to another PC.

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2007, 05:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jarink:
Is the hard drive dead or just XP? If it's just XP you may be ale to plug the drive into another PC and copy the files from it

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried safe mode, modified safe mode (administrator), safe mode (locked), last succesful boot configuration mode, and PC recovery options, in multiples of tens

I tried loading just the HD in BIOS

I took the HD, slaved it to this other PC's Primary via IDE. Changed jumpers, gave slave drive power. Checked results in BIOS-

New PC's HD is primary, old PC HD is slave. Both devices working properly according to Vista

Vista recognises old HD as slave, and lists it under Hard Drives. No access to the old (slave) HD is allowed. Vista tells me a dll is missing from the drive. Vista wants me to format the drive so it can be used

Yes, I've posted in tech help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

if I set old drive as Primary, I get the same results as the old (dead) PC- XP will not boot succesfully. I get an "Insurmountable Boot Error"- that is not a mistake or typo, that is the error message I get. I am told a win32dll is missing from XP and the drive cannot be accessed, by the PC

When I make the new HD Primary again, I can still see that Vista recognises the old drive, but it cannot be accessed- my only option under Vista is format the drive

The standrad proceedure is: slave the old drive, and salvage data. In my case, it is not that simple this time

Cold Meat Platter
07-28-2007, 09:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
It`s a pain. PCs are so more unreliable. just in the week I bought a brand new 79 scanner to scan in my work and get on the net. I was so confident I didn`t even bother to check where I put my receipt. Guess what?

Scanner refuses to work. Drivers, don`t do nothing. Followed the hints and explanations on sites for 2 full days - still won`t have it. then the stupid thing decided to start a type of high pitched whine.

Went to return it and my receipt has absolutely vanished. I`m spend this last weekend looking for it, but if no luck I`ll just have to try and return it without one. Something that should`ve taken 2 hours took 2 days of my art time!!

Who needs scanners, computers, Windows Vista and all that **** when a good old fashioned pencil and paper and old fashioned printing is far more secure and reliable?

Life is far more simpler without the damn PC sometimes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Seafire, I think as long as you have proof of purchase of some sort if you paid by card, you don't need a receipt. For example a bank statement with the debit on it.

Bandit.426Cdn
07-28-2007, 09:54 PM
already tried right clicking and run as admin

I am also admin on the PC

also tried compatibility mode

Vista has also apparently decided that I no longer need a recycle bin- it's gone, completely gone- I booted up the PC after making some dinner and now the recycle bin has vanished

Vista is not backwards compatible, it is buggy and quite frankly the rumors of it sucking are true. I'm doing what MS says to do, updating files and whatnot, and I'm getting errors left and right whenever I run software. I'm getting somebody to get XP on this machine </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought a new Toshiba laptop in April, with MS Vista Home Ed. installed on it. I was intending to replace my 'utility computer' with it, which is a P3-800 with 384 mb ram running XP Corp Ed.

Vista is the biggest bug-ridden piece of software **** that i've ever had the dubious pleasure to use. On bootup, at least 2 apps will crash out, or fail to initialize. Every time.

I haven't used the laptop in over a month. It's basically brand-new in the bag, unused because i simply haven't got the time or motivation to do the XP patch-dance.

I'm still using the P3-800, and happy i didn't retire it. I'm typing this post on it.

MS dropped the ball big-time with Vista - why they haven't even attempted to fix the **** by now, i don't know.

People at work complain non-stop about Vista also - i've stopped listening - if i listened, i'd have to do the XP patch-dance for them, since i'm the unofficial 'tech guy' at work. I don't have the time for that ****.

Cajun76
07-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Is the hard drive dead or just XP? If it's just XP you may be ale to plug the drive into another PC and copy the files from it

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried safe mode, modified safe mode (administrator), safe mode (locked), last succesful boot configuration mode, and PC recovery options, in multiples of tens

I tried loading just the HD in BIOS

I took the HD, slaved it to this other PC's Primary via IDE. Changed jumpers, gave slave drive power. Checked results in BIOS-

New PC's HD is primary, old PC HD is slave. Both devices working properly according to Vista

Vista recognises old HD as slave, and lists it under Hard Drives. No access to the old (slave) HD is allowed. Vista tells me a dll is missing from the drive. Vista wants me to format the drive so it can be used

Yes, I've posted in tech help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

if I set old drive as Primary, I get the same results as the old (dead) PC- XP will not boot succesfully. I get an "Insurmountable Boot Error"- that is not a mistake or typo, that is the error message I get. I am told a win32dll is missing from XP and the drive cannot be accessed, by the PC

When I make the new HD Primary again, I can still see that Vista recognises the old drive, but it cannot be accessed- my only option under Vista is format the drive

The standrad proceedure is: slave the old drive, and salvage data. In my case, it is not that simple this time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I'm reading this right, your trying to hook up your old XP drive to the Vista machine to recover the data? Best bet AFAIK is to try to recover from another XP machine, with the same SP installed. It may recognize it then. Maybe a buddy with a similar machine (the more similar, the better) can help.

Xiolablu3
07-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Is the hard drive dead or just XP? If it's just XP you may be ale to plug the drive into another PC and copy the files from it </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Skoshi Tiger
07-28-2007, 10:43 PM
If the above post doesn't work try getdataback.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
I lost a hard drive once and used a utility called
"getdataback" which is now owned by Runtime software. I was able to recover over 1 gig of MP3 files that took me and my ex-wife over a year to DL on 56k!! Plus a ton of other important files.
Check it out at www.runtime.org (http://www.runtime.org) you may just get all your stuff back with this software. I had all my most cherished files back within one day since I was able to DL the program. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 for getdataback.
I was upgrading my step-daughters computer and put her hard disk into my computer to copy the files over. Unfortunately windows decided that the there was a problem and needed to 'Fix' the hard drive so that it was the same as the one I'ld unplugged! Three years of digital photo's gone in the time it takes you to say 'OH S*&%$! and turn off a computer!

Get Data Back allowed me to retrieve my step daughters photos before she could find out and kill me!!!

Airmail109
07-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Tht sucks dude but you should be able to recover it

Heres an idea for the future, get a solid state drive

Tachyon1000
07-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Sorry for the original poster's problems, but I have had zero problems relatively speaking with Vista. Some initial bumps, yes, but buggy, no, prone to CTDs, no.

stalkervision
07-29-2007, 09:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tachyon1000:
Sorry for the original poster's problems, but I have had zero problems relatively speaking with Vista. Some initial bumps, yes, but buggy, no, prone to CTDs, no. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

me too vista has been working fine for me.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

He must have loaded a urtzed copy onto one of those Chinese Vista knock off computers.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

jarink
07-29-2007, 09:41 AM
I tried safe mode, modified safe mode (administrator), safe mode (locked), last succesful boot configuration mode, and PC recovery options, in multiples of tens </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, the drive isn't totally dead, then.

Vista recognises old HD as slave, and lists it under Hard Drives. No access to the old (slave) HD is allowed. Vista tells me a dll is missing from the drive. Vista wants me to format the drive so it can be used </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found this in a support forum (sorry 'bout the formatting):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Did you ever get an error message that says "HAL.DLL is missing or corrupt"? HAL is the Hardware Abstraction Layer; this is the operating system component that XP uses to interact with the hardware. If this file is really missing or corrupt, you won't be able to boot into XP. Often, though, this message appears when the real problem is a misconfiguration of your BOOT.INI file (the file that tells XP's boot process where to find important files.) If you get this message, try the following before you resort to reinstalling XP: Boot from your XP installation CD. Press the R key when you're given the option. R=Repair. Press the number that designates the installation of XP that you want to repair (if you only have one instance of the operating system, this will be 1.

Type bootcfg /list This shows you the entries in your BOOT.INI file.
To repair the file, type bootcfg /rebuild
(you could also try typing in 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' here...)
Type Exit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this the correct .dll that is 'missing'?

Da_Godfatha
07-29-2007, 09:43 AM
I don't see what the problem some of you are having with Vista. I have been running Vista now for about 3 months, and not one CTD or problem. The only driver problem is from my webcam, but Logitech says they are working on it.

With games, more run on it now than with XP. I can now play Interstate 76 with Vista, were as, with XP nix, zip, zero. And the bothersome jvm.dll CTD I use to have with IL-2 is now GONE.

Remember when XP came out..... the same gloom and doom as now.

BTW, I always back up my important files on DVD, so when the meltdown happens, I can get my stuff back.

na85
07-29-2007, 10:53 AM
You can try to recover your data by using a Linux Live CD, make sure the Linux you use has NTFS read support (try Kanotix) and then you should be able to copy-and-paste all your data right off the drive.

jhm0524
07-29-2007, 11:33 AM
As a long-time XP user who made the move to Vista, I'd say give it time. I still have XP at work and Vista at home. As time goes on, I start trying to do things at work the "vista way" and get frustrated with XP. The biggest problem with Vista right now is developers have been slow to update drivers.

As for your Recycle Bin, here's the deal:
Right-Click, Personalize. New window opens.
In the top-left, click "Change Desktop Icons."

New window opens. Check "Recycle Bin." Hit apply. It is back on your desktop.

When I was first using Vista, I would routinely "delete" the recycle bin when I was trying to empty it. "Deleting" the recycle bin just hides it on your desktop.

Good luck with the other stuff. Major headache.

stalkervision
07-29-2007, 11:58 AM
I have done as much or more crazy things to Vista as I have ever done to XP and it keeps coming back for more..shhh.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

"System Restore" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2007, 12:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Da_Godfatha:
I don't see what the problem some of you are having with Vista. I have been running Vista now for about 3 months, and not one CTD or problem. The only driver problem is from my webcam, but Logitech says they are working on it.

With games, more run on it now than with XP. I can now play Interstate 76 with Vista, were as, with XP nix, zip, zero. And the bothersome jvm.dll CTD I use to have with IL-2 is now GONE.

Remember when XP came out..... the same gloom and doom as now.

BTW, I always back up my important files on DVD, so when the meltdown happens, I can get my stuff back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yes, the idea of backing up files is not by any means a new thing

Which version of Vista do you run? Basic, Premium, or Ultimate?

I was just reading that the ultimate upgrade eliminates issues with programs not running on Vista, but it's very vague and very much a sales pitch from the sites I've seen

The issues with Vista is this:

you install a program, and on a machine that is brand new and hasn't been in contact with virus, Trojans, worms, etc because it's never been online, the programs refuse to run or crash randomly. It's not a figment of people's imaginations, it is happening

The part that makes me mad is that setting admin rights, running programs as admin, and setting compatibilty mode seems to do zero

I am interested in Vista ultimate as the upgrade is relatively cheap for my install, but I can find no concrete evidence that Ultimate will help my problems with Vista in general- I could spend 159 bucks on an upgrade that did nothing for me

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2007, 12:18 PM
-

oh, I am however happy with the machine this is running on though. With half the ram and half the video card, this machine is running the only game program I can find that (so far) works on Vista at max settings, when on my old machine with 2 GB ram, a 256MB vid card, blah blah, i could never run at full settings

Da_Godfatha
07-29-2007, 01:42 PM
I use Vista Premium... it came with my new HP computer. For most users that is all you need. BTW, Vista is alot better with dual core machines that XP ever was. Anyway, give it another year, and the new games will use DX10, and without Vista...sorry.

Try turning off the UAC. Then you won't have to answer twice about trying to install stuff.

mortoma
07-29-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm not going to switch to Vista until I'm absolutely forced to by the DX10 thing. And even then, I plan to have two master hard drives for both my laptop and my desktop, one with Vista and one with XP media edition. That way I can switch from Vista to XP or visa-versa. Nobody ever called me stupid when it come to computers. For now, if you have both you'd be very smart. I go all the way back to the late 80s as far as computers, started out as a mainframe technician at IBM. I know what I'm doing.

I have always been a fan of the "mobile rack", which is a rack you put into a CD slot and you can change HDs with ease ( not hot swap though ) and it's far, far better than having dual boot partitions!!

Even in the days of Win98 I have used as many as three HDs all with separate installs of the OS on them. If I had a crash or similar problem, no problem!! All I had to do was swap out with another HD with Win98 on it. And then fix the bad one at my leisure!! I do the same with XP now. And will with Vista too. And as I mentioned, will have both Vista and XP for a long time. Although I've yet to do this with my laptop. Just got my laptop a couple of months ago and of course can't use a mobile rack for my laptop. I will just have to buy another spare HD or two for my laptop soon.

And as some have already posted, always have important stuff backed up on DVDs!! Never completely trust anything engineered by Microsoft. When it comes to HDs and Windows OSs, I went to the school of redundant redundancy. I have stuff backed up and will not rely on just one OS install on one HD.

Waldo.Pepper
07-29-2007, 03:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">UAC </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think UAC was the initials for the evil (miss guided) corporation in the original DOOM! Too funny.

XyZspineZyX
07-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Well, after 3 days of looking at data recovery shareware and demos, I have found one that I think has located my files. Maybe all of them.

I have actually seen several of my skins, and have located a few larger PSD files- hopefully one is my template

Waldo.Pepper
07-31-2007, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have found one that I think has located my files. Maybe all of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hallelujah! Which one did the trick?

mortoma
07-31-2007, 11:34 AM
With Getdatback I was able to recover everything I needed. Although there were a few files trashed forever, fortunately they were
not important files. And this HD I recovered had taken some kind of zapping that rendered it invisible to Windows and even the BIOS!! But Getdataback could "see" it somehow. One thing that helped me was that it was a storage slave drive and was not bootable. But I did have two bootable drives with Win98 on them at the time so even if it would have been my OS drive that would not have hurt much. I would have simply changed it from master to slave and attached it with my other 98 drive.

Monty_Thrud
07-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Oh dear!, my GF is about to get a new Laptop with Vista on and i'm the only PC literate between us...*PANIC* http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Sorry to hear about your problem.

WTE_Ibis
08-01-2007, 05:12 AM
Maybe a different problem to yours BBB462cid but I had my comp give up.
I simply installed a new hard drive, installed XP and bingo it saw the old
drive and I was able to copy most, but not all the files.
Might be worth a try m8, saved my bacon.

TAW_Oilburner
08-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Been there, felt the pain.

I strongly recommend getting a 2nd (or 3rd) hard drive just for backups. Here is an extremely good and free program which has a simple interface to setup scheduled backups...

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Chris0382
08-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Forget all the back up ****.

Get a second HD and Acronis True Image 10 home.

Creat a disk image of your OS partion on the second HD but only after you reinstall and get all software loaded and updated. Keep this as your refresher image (new clean OS (no junk,trojans, spyware etc)

Also manualY (copy) certain directories to second HD incase you dont need to reimage.

I can restore a whole partion in 5 minutes. I do so every 4 or so months when the OS seems to get full of cobwebs from trying out diff. programs.

Also

On primary HD make 3 partitions with your OS partition 20 GB (40 GB for Vista) so the image is smaller and its faster to BU/Restore OS.

Primary HD
1) Regular progs on Primary Partition
2) Install games on a Game Partion.
3) 3rd partion for downloads anad mis Bckups also image BU incase image on second HD gets corrupt.

SECOND HD
Second HD will be for images and a second BU or video downloads etc. Also good for mounted virtual drives.

THE ULTIMATE (what I did)

Get a 80 GB second HD
Partition as above
Install separate OS in dual boot
Use as a strict gaming HD with some backups of images etc on 3rd partition of this Gaming Drive.
Save image of gaming OS partition on your primary HD. And of primary drive on gaming drive.

mortoma
08-01-2007, 12:17 PM
I disagree, any kind of dual booting is for the birds. Going with totally separate HDs with mobile rack mounts is far better. I used to do the dual boot thing with all sorts of partitions and it was a pain in the a$$ nightmare compared to what I do now. Have several OSs installed from Windows disks on separate HDs, screw the imaging. Have one whole entire drive for gaming, another solely for the internet and other stuff. Works perfectly. With massive partitioning we have a few problems that are avoided with my method. With partitions, if you get a virus or something similar, or a crash due to a power surge, you probably have compromised all partitions. Like I said, I used to do it and the imaging thing and it is not the best solution at all.

The best method ( if you can afford all the HDs ):
Get 4 hard drives
Get mobile rack and install in unused CD bay
Install OS on all disks separately, don't bother imaging.
Use two for internet/other uses
Use two for pure gaming and do not get on internet with these.

If one out of four fails, big deal!! Just slide it out of the rack, slide in another and viola!!

You can either resurface the bad one or try and salvage it at your leisure. But after having a bad, possibly virus contaminated HD in your system, leave your PC powered off for a few minutes to insure a virus does not stay resident in the RAM memory, which can retain data for several minutes until the capacitors discharge.

With this intelligent method, you can even get bold and use one drive for an experiment. Let's say you want to test out some program or a different driver for something. Or even play with Windows Vista!! You would still have XP on the some of the others so big deal if Vista is such a pain, or you are taking a long time to get used to it and just need to learn to operate it correctly.

jarink
08-01-2007, 12:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
The best method ( if you can afford all the HDs ):
Get 4 hard drives
Get mobile rack and install in unused CD bay
Install OS on all disks separately, don't bother imaging.
Use two for internet/other uses
Use two for pure gaming and do not get on internet with these. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even better, use Virtual PCs. Since speed isn't usually an issue when browsing the web or typing a letter, the performance hit is of little or no consequence. They are also very easy to back up (make copies of the virtual hard drive file(s)) and less prone to physical damage when swapping configurations. Oh yes, they are also very cheap since both MS VirtualPC and VMware's player are free. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You could also use a Linux "live CD" for browsing the web or basic productivity apps.

Chris0382
08-01-2007, 12:53 PM
mortoma

I just edited this because I realize if one of his disks fails he cant just slap in another because it wont have all his saved games and exact data he needs. Imaging is this case works well. How is he to keep an exact mirror of one HD to another in a 4 HD system without RAID. The goal is to restore the exact OS in shortest time possible and all I see is a disk swap in your method

You way is is a heck of an investment. Dual boot is handled by my BIOS no special soft. needed. I would not install 2 opps on 1 drive and didnt mention that. But I like the thought of a mobile rack. What one would you recommend. Will also generate less heat as only 1 HD will be on.

Also I would put the BU images on reciprical drives but
dont see whay a virus could not jump from disk to disk either.

Chris0382
08-02-2007, 04:28 AM
I have a virtual PC program but what may be confusing to me is keeping track of directory structures for all the diff OS's. Do you put multiple OS on the same partition or can you put them on thier individual partitions.