PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft visibility. Better in PF?

Triple_AA
10-23-2004, 06:53 AM
This is a question to those who have PF. Has the A/C visibilty improved? I post it here because I wany Oleg and Co. to see it.

I know I sound like I'm whinning, so I'm sorry in advance, but I'm getting pretty frustrated.

The reason I ask is that I just started flying on line agin after several months absence and found that nothings really changed with the a/c "visibility wise." I have ver 2.04

I've been flying on the 109 vs Spit server at hyperlobby, and have been getting my butt kicked "in part" because I can't hit **** and because I can't see the Spits. (Hurry's too.)

When I engage one there are moments when they are just plain invisible. Other times just trying to find one is a real challege. There's no problem seeing 109's of coarse, regardless of where they are.

Once I do hook up with one, following them through a boom and zoom fight with a "one minute they're there and the next their not" is getting tiring and I'm about ready to go back to off-line only.

Even when I'm just observing, I can see 109's plain as day, while the Spit's and Hurricanes that are practiclly right next to them are pretty much invisible. When viewed from above it's even worse. Against the ground the Spits and Hurries are just gone but the good old 109's and Stuka's might as well have neon lights on them, I can easily see them.

When I switch and fly Spits I have no trouble at all.

These two aircraft are very close in size and one should be just as visible as the other. IMHO, visibility wise, all the a/c in the sim should be balanced. At least in 2.04 they are not.It's been a constant problem with the sim since day one and I hoping there has been improvement in PF.

Has there?

SeaFireLIV
10-23-2004, 07:20 AM
well, I would say there`s no difference. But in your case you`re talking about LW planes.

Japanese zeros are quite easy to spot against the sea and sky because they`re white with red dots. Even the green zero planes are easy to see cos the the red dot insignia stands out against green. I did have a quick run on my I16 campaign and it all appeared the same, except now we get craters and less gun flash (I think).

I`ve flown planes a lot and often LW online and I`ve shot down a few of Spitfires. While i`m a bit **** with LW aircraft, it`s never because of visibility. I really haven`t seen this as a major problem. Perhaps it`s the camouflage? Graphic settings?

SeaFireLIV
10-23-2004, 07:21 AM
wha? It censored the word c r a p ! Makes it look like i`ve said something worse!

steiner562
10-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Have never had a problem identifying spits,the beautiful wings are a give away http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif,having said that some aircraft camos in the game do blend in to the scenary making it hard to identify them from a higher alt,russian planes in particular at low aLT but not a major problem IMHO.
What system are you playing the game on?

SeaFireLIV
10-23-2004, 10:13 AM
True, steiner562. Those wings are a big giveaway. When i`m in a G2 it`s just a case of `Look for the big curve wings!` Even better if some have D-Day stripes!

BfHeFwMe
10-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Polite way of telling you to go away I guess. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif How much you want to bet these guys play icons environment only. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SeaFireLIV
10-23-2004, 10:41 AM
I guarantee I DO NOT play icons, m8! Just reading the text would tell you that! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

steiner562
10-23-2004, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BfHeFwMe:
Polite way of telling you to go away I guess. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif How much you want to bet these guys play icons environment only. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I play on full real servers(when available) the rest of the time im on warclouds,f16 greatergreen etc where icons are limited to a very near distance,even then I feel its possible to identify bandits from a fair distance away, the tracers for one thing should help you, no one was telling you to go away BfHeFwMe,just posting my opnion on the subject,I even agreed that some planes camos in the game DO blend in with the earth below them but thats only at low alt, at 3000 PLUS(even lower IMO) you should really have no exccuse for not identifying bandits,no matter what the server settings are.

Marek_Steele
10-23-2004, 01:37 PM
I've said this before, but if you actually go to qmb, pick a 109g, switch to externals and put your f2 cam over the plane and then zoom out, you'll see it's low detail models diferences quite esay.
Actually there's one low detail model that is displayed right after the defined 3d goes away that seems actually much "bigger" and darker than it's previous 3d representation (not to mention square wing tips and a tail that looks much more like a p51).
For close distance, I find spitfires quite difficult to spot when they are seen from their 12h and off course when they come from bellow, I guess it's mostly due to their thin wings and camo (wich would hold true in real life given certain light conditions).

steiner562
10-23-2004, 03:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
` Even better if some have D-Day stripes! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed, some peeps cant resist having them I guess http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Triple_AA
10-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Switching to Perfect with Forest=0 did the trick. Much better vis.

Many thanks to the folks who came up with the 65.73 drivers, my FX 5900 could never have handled perfect before, not with an object busy mission.

TheJoyStick
10-24-2004, 01:44 AM
Well, I've played AEP, and I've played PF online (and kicked **** for a while, then sucked later)

In AEP I had a hell of a time with plane spotting, because the plane would go completely invisible and if they turned or something I'd be SOL as far as predictions go, unless I got lucky, but anyway..

Don't have that problem in PF. Everything's easily visible.

Hunde_3.JG51
10-24-2004, 02:31 AM
Resolution makes a huge difference. Play at 1600x1200, then play at 1024x768 with AA and AF turned up and you will notice a huge difference in aircraft visibility. I play with 1600x1200 2xAA 2xAF everything on excellent because I have a 21-inch monitor and the game looks bad at lower resolutions. Sometimes it bites me but it is worth it to have the game look as good as it does IMO. Plus the clearer picture helps with shooting and determining precise plane angles IMO so there is some benefit.

OldMan____
10-24-2004, 07:49 AM
And wich one is better? 1600x1200 or 1024x768 4x 4x ?

Snoop_Baron
10-26-2004, 08:01 PM
1024x768 makes it easier to see dots

I just got a new 20" flat screen and it's native resolution is 1600x1200. FB looks great at that resolution but since the pixels are much smaller and IL2 seems to use the same number of dots regardless of the resolution it makes dots significantly harder to see.

Lowering your resolution is a good way to make the dots visible. Although I prefer throwing up some limited icons http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ucanfly
10-27-2004, 11:41 AM
A while back I emailed Oleg about a bug I thought existed if Visibility distance was less than 3 where planes like B-17s and Me 262s would virtually dissappear within 800 m ( if I recall correctly) while the 109s would still be strikingly large at the same distance. This was entirely independent of screen resolution or AA settings. He told me to keep that Visibility Distance parameter at 3 which apparently meant he would not fix it. If all planes where as easy to spot as the 109s I would not complain at all.

Hope that PF is an improvement in this regard as it is much harder to spot a plane in this game than IRL (even with Visibility distance = 3) and it is a real nuisance to someone who prefers to fly without arcade like icons.

SeaFireLIV
10-27-2004, 12:10 PM
update: I`ve been flying PF and on 1024 X 768 it`s was a little hard to tell who from who at distance. I changed resolution to 1280X960 and those zeros became MUCH MORE easier to see. Normally doing this on FB would not make vision better, but worse, regarding seeing aircraft.

I also made an incredibly easy carrier landing on this resolution. 1152 x 864 was not too bad either, but 1280 best. Maybe it`s just the Pacific environment...

Now bear in mind this is just on PF, I don`t know how it will be on normal FB aircraft. You also lose around 5-10fps (maybe more) doing this so be advised.