PDA

View Full Version : trouble getting plane to climb fast help!!! please

RONIN516
05-25-2007, 01:16 PM
I have full control of elevators and all surfaces when i climb it seeems to take forever and is very hard to get past 3000 feet also have to keep plane at about 20 to 30 deg. have adjusted arcs and everything. this seems to be a software physics flaw it just stalls out to early and cannot maintain a climb for more than a few hundred feet at a time. anyone know of a fix or this problem?. even rolling seems slower than it should be.

Freelancer-1
05-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Plane type?

EiZ0N
05-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Is the gear up?

Flaps up?

RONIN516
05-25-2007, 01:29 PM
just about all of them. have been flying p40 lately also throttle is full and prop pitch full tried varying both and no change.

RONIN516
05-25-2007, 01:30 PM
gear and flaps are up everything thing on plane seems fine just no matter where im at or in any plane i seem to get out climbed especially if i need to climb quickly.

XyZspineZyX
05-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Climb procedure states that it should be done with 100% throttle at 100% pitch.

Questions :

Is your gear up?
Are your flaps up?
Are you carrying ordnance?
What speed are you trying to climb at?

It almost seems as though you are expecting to be flying a rocket, good climb rates for ww2 aircraft(depending on plane type) should be somewhere between 1500-2500 feet per minute. Some can do more, some wont even do 1500...whats your VSI reading?

Freelancer-1
05-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Best thing to do might be to record a track and post it.

It'll be easier to see if it's something you're doing or a software glitch, that way.

horseback
05-25-2007, 01:35 PM
It would help if we knew what airplane you are attempting to climb fast in. Each flyable aircraft in this sim has its own Flight Model, and needs to be flown in a different way.

Generally though, here are a few rules of thumb for best climb:

1. Raise your landing gear. Some aircraft, like the I-16 and F4F Wildcat, have to have their gear raised manually, which requires the player to assign keyboard keys to raising and lowering the gear manually. You must press these keys repeatedly, to simulate the 30+ rotations of the crank on the real things.

2. Raise your flaps once you are over 500m, if you use them at all. Flaps add an element of drag, and you will never get up to your best climb speed with them extended.

3. Get your horizontal speed up. WWII aircraft could not stand on their tails and go straight up like F-15s. Build up your speed and then begin your climb gently at first. Most a/c have a best climb speed/angle; find out what it is for your a/c.

3. Get your Turn and Bank indicator's needle and ball centered. You cannot fly or climb at full efficiency if you are turning or slipping in flight. To do this, apply the appropriate elevator & rudder trim for best climb. Most WWII aircraft had trimmable elevators and many Allied types had trimmable rudders. You will have to apply some rudder in one direction or the other as the nose of your a/c rises. If you can trim your rudder properly so that your regular rudder input is centered, you won't have to hold it in at a constant angle as you climb.

Hope this helps.

cheers

horseback

RONIN516
05-25-2007, 01:37 PM
100% on both i'll have to check my climb rate next time. but im guessing about 5 min to get to 3000 feet in a p40 after running full speed full pitch to max speed at level flight then pulling up about 20 - 30 deg anything more it stalls way to quickly.

horseback
05-25-2007, 01:43 PM
P-40's best climb speed is around 150 to 160 mph IAS. Try holding 100% throttle and 85-90% prop pitch as you climb, and bear in mind that trim is pretty important for this bird.

Bear in mind, however, that the P-40 was considered a real dog in the climb department, and you may need to consider going at much more shallow angle at a higher speed, extending away before coming back at the desired altitude.

If you're trying to climb up after Messerschmitts or Zeros, though, you're pretty much hosed, especially if they're AI. Level off, get your speed up, turn away from them, and let them come to you (and the AI will come to you).

cheers

horseback

RONIN516
05-25-2007, 01:49 PM
what have yall fount to be the best climbing plane? and thanks for all the answers i do appreciate them.

Daiichidoku
Originally posted by RONIN516:
very hard to get past 3000 feet also have to keep plane at about 20 to 30 deg. have adjusted arcs and everything

3000 FEET or METERS?

you must toggle speed bar to get ft

RONIN516
found not fount lol. my typing sucks.

RONIN516
05-25-2007, 01:50 PM
sorry it is meters

Daiichidoku
05-25-2007, 01:55 PM
sorry it is meters

ok

if u dont know already....

the climb u get at 500m @250kph will NOT be the same as 250kph when u are at 2000m!

the higher u go, the faster u must go

also, which plane are u using? u may be in one that needs you to change supercharger gears

does yoru plane have manual mixture controls?

perhaps uy are in a yak, and your fuel is too rich...look for wispy black smoke from exhaust, this is yoru cue to reduce fuel mixture and regain lost power

i bet if u try the me 163 Komet u wont have any climb probs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
05-25-2007, 01:56 PM
5mins to 3000 METERS actually sounds not so far off for me. Especially in a P-40.

3000 meters is 10 feet short of 10000 feet of altitude. So considering your are going up at 2000 feet per minute, do the math and you'll realise its not too far off from reality.

If you want the best climbing plane go for a Lerche or the Komet.

MEGILE
05-25-2007, 01:57 PM
G key

EiZ0N
05-25-2007, 01:59 PM
I think he said P40.

Does that have manual supercharger + mixture? I do not know.

But if that is the case, that's most likely the culprit - you'd want supercharger position 2 and lower mixture to make up for the thinner atmosphere

RONIN516
05-25-2007, 02:03 PM
thanx guys will try everything.

VW-IceFire
05-25-2007, 03:54 PM
P-40s have only one supercharger setting so there is no stage 1 and 2 switching. Also the fuel mix is on auto in all P-40s. The P-40 isn't a fast climber although the P-40N is decently good. The P-40s performance will drop off significantly above 3000m so watch out for that.

I would keep a speed of about 220kph IAS in almost any P-40 for best climb from my experience. Convert that to MPH if you use that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Keep an eye on the climb indicator. You should be able to get close or max out the indicator for the whole climb. If it starts to fall you may want to pick up some more speed before you angle the nose higher.

When I started at this game I would usually just point the nose high and expect the plane to give me maximum climb. I learned that was quite wrong. Its a careful balance between the angle that your pointing up and the speed at which your going while pointing in that direction. You can point 90 degrees up but no WWII plane has the power to climb at that angle so its pointless. Sometimes 20 or 30 degrees is all you need to get the best possible climb out of a plane.

Tactically speaking I'd also avoid climbing in close combat when flying a P-40...its just not fast enough in the climb versus contemporaries. Instead you want to dive away or flat out accelerate away from them. Even a shallow dive works in the P-40s favor due to the weight.

AKA_TAGERT
05-25-2007, 04:35 PM
I have full control of elevators and all surfaces when i climb it seeems to take forever and is very hard to get past 3000 feet also have to keep plane at about 20 to 30 deg. have adjusted arcs and everything. this seems to be a software physics flaw it just stalls out to early and cannot maintain a climb for more than a few hundred feet at a time. anyone know of a fix or this problem?. even rolling seems slower than it should be. Try a Bf-109K-4 1.80ata

Hanglands
05-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi,

Do you mean climbing fast to keep up with the two or three AI planes in front of you from takeoff? Or do you just want to climb really really fast?