PDA

View Full Version : planes for grand touring



p1ngu666
12-19-2004, 02:49 PM
having just watched top gear, and laughed myself silly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
they took a Grand touring car to somewhere in switzerland. they raced the 2 other presenters who took a plane/train/bus (public transport)

the grand tourer won (just)

heres a more well put blurb
Motoring magazine presented by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. This week, who can get to the ski slopes first - Jeremy by road in a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, or James and Richard by air? A rally car goes head to head with a bobsleigh and this week's 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' is Eddie Izzard.

now, my question is, what plane would u take to travel around europe like a rich playboy/toff type? and why?

limited to ww2ish and before http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

id go with the mighty mossie http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
its got the speed, the looks and the noise of two merlins in harmoney http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

it seats two normaly, and with slight modification u can fit a bed and a few other bits and bobs in the rear/bombbay.

itll land at small airfields too, handy for remote holidays. also you could fold the wings (sea mossie spec) and taxi down some roads.

also has a superb view to see the countryside whizz past, or to gaze at clouds from above http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

it also has a rich heritage, and it gives u a special feeling http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

so now, whats yours? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

LStarosta
12-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Honestly? I'd take a B17 or a B29 and I'd keep an I16 in the bomb bay for the real sight seeing once I get to where I'm going.

F0_Dark_P
12-19-2004, 05:04 PM
is this a valid "plane"? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
http://free.mybobocaca.com/img11/zeppelin.gif
then i would use it, couse it is a calm and soft way to travel and you get a nice view over europe http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Inadaze
12-19-2004, 05:41 PM
http://www.apws62.dsl.pipex.com/sunderland.jpg

Short Sunderland Flying Boat

It comes with a kitchen and toilet http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif and having to land on water is a bonus cos I'm a fanatical fisherman http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Sir.Robin-1337
12-19-2004, 05:47 PM
I don't know of any planes from WW2.

So my answer is, Cessna C-172.

p1ngu666
12-19-2004, 05:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LStarosta:
Honestly? I'd take a B17 or a B29 and I'd keep an I16 in the bomb bay for the real sight seeing once I get to where I'm going. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm ill post u something that may change ur mind, but nice choice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Jagdgeschwader2
12-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Douglas DC-7. Introduced in May 1953, was powered by four Wright turbo-compound W-3350s. It was the first commercial transport able to fly non-stop westbound across the United States against the prevailing winds. A total of 1,042 of the DC-6/DC-7 series was delivered.
Pack in the women and beer and go for a cruise.

DC-7F & DC-7C - Four 2535kW (3400hp) Wright R3350EA1 or EA4 Turbo Compound radial piston engines driving four blade constant speed propellers.

DC-7F - Typical cruising speed 555km/h (300kt). Range with max fuel and no reserves 7130km (3850nm). DC-7C - Typical cruising speed 555km/h (330kt). Range with max payload 5810km (3135nm), range with max fuel and no reserves 9077km (4900nm).

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/109783.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/034929.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg

F0_Dark_P
12-19-2004, 06:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jagdgeschwader2:
Douglas DC-7. Introduced in May 1953, was powered by four Wright turbo-compound W-3350s. It was the first commercial transport able to fly non-stop westbound across the United States against the prevailing winds. A total of 1,042 of the DC-6/DC-7 series was delivered.
Pack in the women and beer and go for a cruise.

DC-7F & DC-7C - Four 2535kW (3400hp) Wright R3350EA1 or EA4 Turbo Compound radial piston engines driving four blade constant speed propellers.

DC-7F - Typical cruising speed 555km/h (300kt). Range with max fuel and no reserves 7130km (3850nm). DC-7C - Typical cruising speed 555km/h (330kt). Range with max payload 5810km (3135nm), range with max fuel and no reserves 9077km (4900nm).

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/109783.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/034929.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>oh it is a SAS bird and a really nice one to http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Jagdgeschwader2
12-19-2004, 06:45 PM
I wish I could have been around back then to fly in one. Airliners from the 40's and 50's have a certain elegance about them. I wonder what it sounded like inside? I'll bet they
had better service than they do today.


And hey I would second the zepplin F0-Dark_P.
Now that would be a nice and comfy ride.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg

Tully__
12-19-2004, 07:26 PM
Lockeed Electra. Small enough to be convenient, large enough to not be too cramped.

p1ngu666
12-19-2004, 07:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F0_Dark_P:
is this a valid "plane"? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
http://free.mybobocaca.com/img11/zeppelin.gif
then i would use it, couse it is a calm and soft way to travel and you get a nice view over europe http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

p1ngu666
12-19-2004, 07:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Inadaze:
http://www.apws62.dsl.pipex.com/sunderland.jpg

Short Sunderland Flying Boat

It comes with a kitchen and toilet http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif and having to land on water is a bonus cos I'm a fanatical fisherman http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wadda gonna do if u catch a whale? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

if u could get inside tho, ull be sorted http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

p1ngu666
12-19-2004, 07:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jagdgeschwader2:
Douglas DC-7. Introduced in May 1953, was powered by four Wright turbo-compound W-3350s. It was the first commercial transport able to fly non-stop westbound across the United States against the prevailing winds. A total of 1,042 of the DC-6/DC-7 series was delivered.
Pack in the women and beer and go for a cruise.

DC-7F & DC-7C - Four 2535kW (3400hp) Wright R3350EA1 or EA4 Turbo Compound radial piston engines driving four blade constant speed propellers.

DC-7F - Typical cruising speed 555km/h (300kt). Range with max fuel and no reserves 7130km (3850nm). DC-7C - Typical cruising speed 555km/h (330kt). Range with max payload 5810km (3135nm), range with max fuel and no reserves 9077km (4900nm).

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/109783.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/034929.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i can see your reasoning, but that ones just not for me, but good choice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

p1ngu666
12-19-2004, 07:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
Lockeed Electra. Small enough to be convenient, large enough to not be too cramped. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

a forgotten plane too, handy for mod's who wanna float about silently http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

p1ngu666
12-19-2004, 07:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LStarosta:
Honestly? I'd take a B17 or a B29 and I'd keep an I16 in the bomb bay for the real sight seeing once I get to where I'm going. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

can i interest u in a slightly more... potent bomber?

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=9181013452&r=9181013452#9181013452 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

LStarosta
12-19-2004, 08:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by p1ngu666:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LStarosta:
Honestly? I'd take a B17 or a B29 and I'd keep an I16 in the bomb bay for the real sight seeing once I get to where I'm going. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

can i interest u in a slightly more... potent bomber?

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=9181013452&r=9181013452#9181013452 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lancaster is indeed a nice plane. As long as I could fit some accomodations in it... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

On the other hand the Howard 500 is a really excellent plane. Very few were made due to jet liners becoming popular at its inception. Had two VERY powerful 3000HP motors, IIRC. The plane itself was medium sized. IIRC, This is the last one in existance:

Howard 500:
http://home.comcast.net/~fishnpilot/wsb/media/123247/graphic_org_pub.jpg
http://sobering.terracom.net/eaa99/Howard500/N500HP_frnt_port_h.jpeg

p1ngu666
12-19-2004, 08:31 PM
after war, some lancs became airliners, so ya http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Vladimir_No2
12-19-2004, 09:50 PM
The Ju-52 has decent range, stable handling and a speed that is slow enough for sight-seeing. For its time, it seems to be an excellent aircraft for flying cross-country, and hence I think it would be ideal for such an endeavor.
The Boeing 314 Clipper would be another excellent choice, but, alas, much of Europe is land-locked...

PBNA-Boosher
12-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Me?

Personally I think the Lanc was good, but not as structurally strong as our B-17, but that's just a personal opinion. But I wouldn't want a B-17 as my touring plane, no, no.

I'd want an amphibious PBY Catalina. Why? you ask?

Because those gun blisters make incredible windows, and there's plenty'o room! (Plus if I feel the need to land in a lake, I can!)

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/images/main/00_whitianga/WHITCAT3.JPG

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/images/main/98_flyin/FLYCAT2.JPG

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/images/main/01_omaka/01OMK077.JPG

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/images/main/97_tauranga/TAUCAT5.JPG

LStarosta
12-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Veeeery nice.

Falcon_41
12-20-2004, 09:23 AM
For the best sightseeing and soft field performance for remote picnics I would choose the Fiesler Storch. http://www.sweptwings.co.uk/images/dux_cent_storch_hac_1as.jpg
...

and with the money you save on fuel, you can rent a suite in a five star hotel near the airport or field or whatever.

:FI:Falcon

p1ngu666
12-20-2004, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
Me?

Personally I think the Lanc was good, but not as structurally strong as our B-17, but that's just a personal opinion. But I wouldn't want a B-17 as my touring plane, no, no.

I'd want an amphibious PBY Catalina. Why? you ask?

Because those gun blisters make incredible windows, and there's plenty'o room! (Plus if I feel the need to land in a lake, I can!)

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/images/main/00_whitianga/WHITCAT3.JPG

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/images/main/98_flyin/FLYCAT2.JPG

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/images/main/01_omaka/01OMK077.JPG

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/images/main/97_tauranga/TAUCAT5.JPG <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

p1ngu666
12-20-2004, 12:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Falcon_41:
For the best sightseeing and soft field performance for remote picnics I would choose the Fiesler Storch. http://www.sweptwings.co.uk/images/dux_cent_storch_hac_1as.jpg
...

and with the money you save on fuel, you can rent a suite in a five star hotel near the airport or field or whatever.

:FI:Falcon <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ya, and u can land pretty much anywhere http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

bit slow tho for crossing europe http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif good view on the way atleast http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

LStarosta
12-20-2004, 01:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by p1ngu666:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Falcon_41:
For the best sightseeing and soft field performance for remote picnics I would choose the Fiesler Storch. http://www.sweptwings.co.uk/images/dux_cent_storch_hac_1as.jpg
...

and with the money you save on fuel, you can rent a suite in a five star hotel near the airport or field or whatever.

:FI:Falcon <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ya, and u can land pretty much anywhere http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

bit slow tho for crossing europe http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif good view on the way atleast http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to mention negative ground speed when flying into a strong headwind. Anyone seen a video of the Storch flying backwards?

p1ngu666
12-20-2004, 01:59 PM
ive heard that it could, any chance of u postin a vid? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

LStarosta
12-20-2004, 02:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by p1ngu666:
ive heard that it could, any chance of u postin a vid? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry mate, this was a loooong while ago! I wouldn't know where to start looking.

p1ngu666
12-20-2004, 04:55 PM
www.google.com (http://www.google.com) ? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

LStarosta
12-20-2004, 04:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by p1ngu666:
http://www.google.com ? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be my guest :P.

JR_Greenhorn
12-20-2004, 11:05 PM
I've daydreamed about this a lot also.

I think the PBY would be great. On vacation this past summer, I kept thinking how fun it would be to see Mackinac Island, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, and the Apostle Islands from a low flying Cat. Then to land on the water and float about for a closer look. That would be great! I told my wife that if she lets me get a PBY someday, we'll fly to the nearby lakes and she can sunbathe on top of the wings. Just don't fall off from way up there!

The only problem with a PBY is it cruises so slow. Much better would be a T-33 or Ki-46. The latter is an especially elegant design--a good feature to have in a GT ride.