PDA

View Full Version : What I'd like to see in patch & future 1C sims

appulluk
04-27-2006, 07:34 PM
I truly appreciate all the hard, cumulative work that has gone into the IL-2 series and the extra/free planes with the patches. It is sincerely astounding. But I'm listing these ideas because while IL-2 series is great, I feel it isn't well-rounded enough.

But I'm of the circle who feel 190+ planes is more than enough, here's what I'd like to see:

IL-2 series patch
- more consistent effects. So we've got prop wash when you get down low, we've got great damage model, we have canopy bullet holes etc... but what about sparks when the prop hits concrete/metal/buildings, and an appropriate screech/clang from the bent propeller? Or how about shatterable canopies, instead of just bullet holes - where when shattered, you can then hear the wind gushing past.

- consistency. I go into 3rd-person view and see the secondary pilot(s) and gunners, but if I'm in the plane as pilot, and look to my right - I don't see my co-pilot!

- Better destruction effects. We just see little "craters" and no soiled/blackened/ashed ground around the explosion (or am I missing something, I'm not running everything on perfect).

Future Sims
More engaging out-of-plane happenings/interface. If you remember B-17 Flying Fortress game, you could visit barracks and offices and read documents, seeing the pages turn. It was pretty neat, even if there was nobody around in the buildings. Well imagine you as a pilot, able to walk freely around the base, into various buildings to talk with other people and pilots, walk around your airplane inspecting it, taxi'ing guide on the wing, etc. Or what if you bail out and parachute land, then you can run on foot with a sidearm pistol and try to make it to a non-hostile zone so you won't be captured? How about voice-over-radio messages during training, instead of just read a document, hop in and attempt without real guidance?

If you've ever played Janes Longbow, you know what I mean about training.

BTW, "Joint Strike Fighter" had the bail-out-land-run-with-gun feature, but I never really played the sim so I dunno how extensive it was.

So that's my blab. :P

VFA-25_Cobain
04-27-2006, 07:46 PM
This isn't really a Role-playing game as much as it is a flight sim, as nice of features as those are, I don't think it'd work.

LEXX_Luthor
04-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Play DOOM -- they let you run around waving a pistol.

--------------------------------------------
late *Edit* -- that is Sloppy response, because pilot escape and evasion is a great idea -- I apologize app!!
--------------------------------------------

Don't try to destroy buildings with your propeller after you run out of ammo, use Unlimited Ammo.

But just remember -- every time you use unlimited ammo, Oleg strangles a kitten.

Please, think of the kittens.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

marc_hawkins
04-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Oleg must have got through a lot of kittens.

LEXX_Luthor
04-27-2006, 08:53 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Actually, I always wanted to perform escape and evasion behind enemy lines -- try to get back to a friendly AI ground vehicle and the game records you as "safe" or not captured so you can continue normally with the next campaign mission.

app::
Or what if you bail out and parachute land, then you can run on foot with a sidearm pistol and try to make it to a non-hostile zone so you won't be captured?

So its not a bad idea for a Next Sim. I could do without the pistol though. Just evade enemy AI ground units. Historically, most downed pilots escaped enemy lines by escaping from or evading enemy troops (Hans Rudel), not by fighting them and getting killed like Frank Luke.

LEXX_Luthor
04-27-2006, 09:04 PM
The reason this could be interesting -- some time ago in my Offline FB simming, I would crash in air combats and at my crash site I would use external view to look up and see aircraft passing by on their missions, dogfights high above, long black smoke trails in the far distance (Oleg makes great thick black smoke). I got interested enough to experiment with selecting and "driving" a steady airplane across the ground, and it was alot of fun watching the air action above. I used P-38 which was pretty stable on the ground, and it was not a tail dragger -- it was like getting a ride in friendly truck back to your lines. Sometimes enemy AI ground units would disable my P-38, and enemy fighters strafe me (that should not happen often if you are ground target in most circumstances).

So, my initial reaction was a bit off -- app has a good basic idea here.

IL-2 was probably the most stable on the ground, but was a tail dragger BUT not very nose high. You can see out the front pretty well on the ground.

appulluk
04-27-2006, 10:26 PM
1C games need not be RPGs or first-person shooters, no - however I'm quite sure real pilots didn't just magically appear in their aircraft of choice through a user interface. Just imagine being the pilot on-ground instead of just the pilot above-ground. More well-rounded, more realistic, yes?

I know there's games such as Operation Flashpoint and Battlefield that do this, but they don't come close to IL-2 quality.

Monson74
04-28-2006, 02:38 AM
In BoB - I hope Oleg will model all the time spend waiting correctly - then we can play cards, drink tea & smoke pibes for hours before a scramble - online of course http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mautsi2
04-28-2006, 03:08 AM
Mission&Campaign editor with copy paste function.

LEXX_Luthor
04-28-2006, 04:42 AM
app::
1C games need not be RPGs or first-person shooters, no
Right, you don't need Pilot Pistol like in the Frank Luke sims and end up getting PK'd in cemetary.

Just offer the existing External View, and allow player to control the viewpoint's movement along the ground (no Pilot Body). All you do is move along the terrain including forests, avoiding enemy armed AI ground vehicles that can shoot you as you move towards friendly lines or friendly AI ground unit to be "rescued."

Some issues (thinking of FB/PF currently). The maps are largely barren of AI ground units, but maybe that can change in future flight sims. FB/PF AI ground vehicles won't chase you but only stop to fire as they move along their waypoints. This is acceptable since avoiding meeting enemy units is the most important thing and not running away -- Rudel managed to swim and run away, but he was top Athalete while most pilots were not.

Don't know what to do about swimming though. I don't want to go there. May need Pilot Knife to fight off the giant carnivorous Seaweed.

RegRag1977
04-28-2006, 04:53 AM
Hi guys,

anyone of you knows if AI will be corrected in the new patch?
Or will it stay like this forever... I don't know if Oleg considers the new AI to be wrong?

Not doing critics (i've made them in another topic) just asking a question!

Regards!

csThor
04-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Lexx - that might work when you're planning one game (i.e. no more work on that engine after publishing BoB). But since Maddox Games plans a series of games it would require to model an insane amount of environments in full 3D. I don't think MG can do this nor will they do this.