PDA

View Full Version : Having a hard time....

Coffee999
12-13-2004, 05:42 AM
Getting through missions.

Right now I fly as wing cause PF is still very new to me. As I fly wing in a campaign, I stay with my leader. If I don't I get yelled at.

I see planes pass us on the horizon. Don't know if it's our side or not. But it becomes quite apparent when shortly after I start getting hit and die.

Why is it that AI leaders continue to fly straight and level when enemy aircraft are hitting us with shells? Happends so often I can't even get through 2 consecutive missions in a camp.

VW-IceFire
12-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Sounds very odd. If you're on a ground attack sortie they usually drop bombs if they are attacked (usually individually). If on a fighter sweep they should see them and engage.

You can always press 7 on the comms and call for help. They will definately respond.

han freak solo
12-13-2004, 03:43 PM
You need to be promoted so you can dictate engagement.

One campaign I was flying in IL2:FB I was wingman to the flight leader in a Bf109. I got tired of that choice I had made in the campaign set up. So after about the 8th mission, I was peeved that we didn't contact the enemy. I had guns with ammo and took out my frustration on the flight leader, killing him.

Instant promotion to flight leader! I'm just glad there wasn't an investigation. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Latico
12-13-2004, 04:13 PM
What did you choose as squadron? Sounds like you may have picked a VB or VS squad. If your flying SDB's, that's what you've done.

DokterBeefcake
12-13-2004, 04:16 PM
You don't get punished for straying from your wing. I know, I've done it a lot. Just your CO won't be quiet...

Blottogg
12-13-2004, 04:35 PM
Coffee999, if your Ai leader hasn't hit the target waypoint yet, he may still have his "blinders" on, and not react to enemy aircraft. Like IceFire said, Ai flying some aircraft will drop bombs and engage even if they're not being threatened, while Ai in another aircraft type will keep plodding on to the target, even when they're getting shot.

A compromise I use is to have icons on the map, but no icons in the cockpit. That way you can check the map to see if that dot on the horizon is friend of foe, while still keeping the view out of the cockpit clean. Don't feel too bad about this, the Ai automatically identifies at 7 km, and never mis-identifies.

JG51Beolke
12-13-2004, 04:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by han freak solo:
You need to be promoted so you can dictate engagement.

One campaign I was flying in IL2:FB I was wingman to the flight leader in a Bf109. I got tired of that choice I had made in the campaign set up. So after about the 8th mission, I was peeved that we didn't contact the enemy. I had guns with ammo and took out my frustration on the flight leader, killing him.

Instant promotion to flight leader! I'm just glad there wasn't an investigation. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO..................

Coffee999
12-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Blottogg, I hear you, but I don't like to look at the map. I try and fly in realist mose only. It's very frustrating to do that, cause I don't know what's going on most of the time. But in everyother flight sim, that's the way I started out, and built up from there. I don't want to get too use to using the map, which is better than radar.

For the other reply's: I want to work my way up. I don't want to start out leading a flight that I can't handle. That's why I fly wing right now.

Maj_Death
12-13-2004, 07:36 PM
The simplest solution is not to stay in formation when you are being shot at. Seriously, I suggest ignoring your flight leader's commands cause the AI in this sim is pretty poor. Stay in the general area of your leader, engage when necassary and don't worry about the flight leader yelling at you for not being on course. Also it sounds alot like you picked a bomber campaign cause generally the AI will instantly engage any enemy plane even if they are on a fighter-bomber mission. The only planes that don't are dedicated bombers and even they do it sometimes.

Coffee999
12-14-2004, 05:38 AM
Actually no, it isn't in a bombing type aircraft. It's during fighter sweeps. This is why I can't figure it out. Lead just flys straight and level while we get jumped.

This also happends when there is more than one flight in the group.

Tully__
12-14-2004, 05:58 AM
In the mission files most flights have a waypoint where they're "instructed" to attacke some target. If they haven't reached the waypoint before their targetting waypoint, they generally ignore most threats regardless of aircraft type. Bombers will sometimes ditch their load and head for home though, particularly if their skill level is set to Novice.