PDA

View Full Version : why did you buy IL2 in the first place?

doogerie
01-21-2009, 05:29 AM
for me it was becaus pc gamer were always raving about how good it is even 5 years after it's first release and so when i say 1946 for $8.00 on amazon i went for it(sorry amaeican keybord)and that was about november this year no sorry start of the holidays so it was december just befor christmas ithink it may well have been the day befor christmas eve

Bearcat99
01-21-2009, 05:34 AM
I was waiting for CFS3 .. I had just upograded.. I had seen it on the shelf but I learned abot checking system specs for games from CFS1 and I knew my old rig wouldn't run it well.. A guy I knew had mentioned it on our RW comms one night.. then when I was checking Best Buy to see if there was any news on CFS3 I ran into a guy in the parking lot named Phil who told me about IL2 & Hyperlobby.. he told me he had already tried CFS3 and it wasn't that good.. but this thing IL2 was the real deal.. so since I had a better rig I checked it out ... that was in 2002.... been here ever since.

I never heard fron Phil again.. online or off.. maybe he was just a supernatural being sent here to get me sucked into this sim... LOL..

SeaFireLIV
01-21-2009, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by doogerie:
for me it was becaus pc gamer were always raving about how good it is even 5 years after it's first release and so when i say 1946 for $8.00 on amazon i went for it(sorry amaeican keybord)and that was about november this year no sorry start of the holidays so it was december just befor christmas ithink it may well have been the day befor christmas eve

Full stops are your friend.

Got mine when it was little known. Had no idea what a `IL2 shtumovik!` was. Ignored it for months at first, then when I tried to join a squad that used to fly EAW they told me to get IL2. I never looked back.

To be honest, the IL2 marketing people of the time really did a bad job at advertising what this game really was and how much next gen this sim was. They should be smacked for it.

WholeHawg
01-21-2009, 06:25 AM
I think I saw a review of IL-2 on combatsim.com back in 2002 and I think I played the game for about a week and decided it was a piece of junk and shelved it due to the poor damage modeling. Then when forgotten battles came out I gave it another chance and realized they fixed the D/M. I have been pretty much playing ever since.

Sturm_Williger
01-21-2009, 06:27 AM
A guy at work that knew I did some online gaming/flying wandered into my dept and said that the PCWorld down the road was selling this new flight sim for 5. For that price I had to try it out. After I saw the graphics, I was gobsmacked ... and hooked.

It had been out for only a week or two and they must have been trying to generate interest because a couple of weeks after that, I saw that the price had gone up to 24-odd.

Serendipity.

Breeze147
01-21-2009, 06:31 AM
I had actually gone into the store to buy LOMAC. I saw an Il-2 bundle on sale. I thought that I had seen some positive reviews about it. I fired it up and got absorbed into doing touch and goes with the Il-2. Played some missions. Never looked back.

BTW, the LOMAC I bought is still gathering dust. I never played it.

crucislancer
01-21-2009, 06:57 AM
late 2006 I was browsing EBay for flight sims, not having played one since 1999, and I ran across a bundle that had Flanker 2.5, original IL-2 Sturmovik, and Silent Hunter II. I was a huge fan of the original Su-27 Flanker game, so I purchased it right away. I already knew Silent Hunter II was a bit of a dud, but I had never heard of IL-2.

I tried each game for a couple of weeks, with IL-2 being last. As soon as I started playing IL-2 I realized that I found a fantastic game........and the addiction began. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Silent Hunter II is long off the HD, but Flanker 2.5 is still there, and I actually prefer playing it over LOMAC due to the fact that it actually runs very well on my system. LOMAC was part of another bundle that I found a couple of months later that had Pacific Fighters and the original IL-2. I kept LOMAC and gave PF and IL-2 to a friend when IL-2 1946 came out.

Lt_Letum
01-21-2009, 07:30 AM
I liked the demo.
That is some time ago now.

doogerie
01-21-2009, 07:59 AM
i found the demo very confusing when it gust came out there was nothing that i was used to and i coulden't even take off iam past that now and totaly understand how to find my way and stuff like that still don't quit understand the whole flue mixture yet but that will come with time probley

TheCrux
01-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Felt like it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Just a whim really. Was playing CFS2 & 3 but began hearing about IL-2, saw it ( the original then ) cheap at an electronics store and figured I'd try it and see what all the fuss was about.

TheFamilyMan
01-21-2009, 09:00 AM
In 2006 I was dabbling around with FS9 and wanted something more (err...violent). I kept reading posts about how great this IL-2 was, and ended up getting at our local bestbuy that 3 flight sim bundle crucislancer mentioned: IL-2/LOMAC/PF. The IL-2 version included was the original release and where I started, but it was Pacific Fighters that blew my mind and I quickly introduced it to my online gaming buddies. All of them we also into MSFS and they were equally blown away by it. After that at our FPS days were over and we became a squad (well, sort of).

M_Gunz
01-21-2009, 09:03 AM
I was forced to. People came with guns and made me do it, no lie. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

knightflyte
01-21-2009, 09:06 AM
I was anxiously awaiting CFS 3. I'd seen IL2 on the shelves and couldn't believe something outta USSR could be of high quality. I purchased CFS3 and was immediately dissappointed. I tried on line. I tried the campaigns. There was nothing that made me really enjoy this sim. I had a brand new computer and had it set on relatively high graphics and it still looked bad to me. The campaign was boring and uninspiring. I THINK I did 9 attacks on battleships in a row. Nothing really changed betwixt each mission and I said the heck with this.

I went to Sim Outhouse and some were talking up IL2. So it was back to Best Buy. I looked and looked. What a friggin ugly plane, I thought. Well I already blew $39.00 on CFS3, what's $29.00 more.

I reluctantly, but hopefully bought it and never looked back. That was Dec 7, 2002. I joined these forums the next day.

I still remember thinking how great the cockpits looked compared to that other product. Sitting on the tarmac as snow fell. I was in an FW 190 ready to defend my base from those pesky IL2s. The sirens suddenly blare and I see them in the distance. AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaH I'm third in line I'm gonna get blown up before I get off the ground! Panic sets in and I finally start to roll down the runway. I reach take off speed and manage to get about 10 meters off the groud when an IL2 crosses my path within meters. What's a newb do? Turns right to follow him at 220kph. What's the plane do? Stalls.

I still remeber it and was floored at how immersive the sim was compared to that other game.

I bought Track IR1 a week later.

GIAP.Shura
01-21-2009, 09:16 AM
To meet chicks.

It hasn't worked.

crucislancer
01-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by knightflyte:
I still remember thinking how great the cockpits looked compared to that other product. Sitting on the tarmac as snow fell. I was in an FW 190 ready to defend my base from those pesky IL2s. The sirens suddenly blare and I see them in the distance. AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaH I'm third in line I'm gonna get blown up before I get off the ground! Panic sets in and I finally start to roll down the runway. I reach take off speed and manage to get about 10 meters off the groud when an IL2 crosses my path within meters. What's a newb do? Turns right to follow him at 220kph. What's the plane do? Stalls.

I remember that mission. I've played that one a few times, even recently to see how I would do at it in 4.08m. Still a very fun mission.

Uufflakke
01-21-2009, 10:17 AM
When I bought my first decent computer about three years ago I decided to buy a PC game to spend those dull moments on a rainy Sunday. The only kind of games I liked when I was much younger were WWII games with mainly tanks and planes. So I bought CFS2 and later on CFS3 which was much more interesting to me because I prefer ETO to PTO. Spend many hours on CFS3 and liked it despite the fact that there were not that many flyable planes.
I read an article in a newspaper in Spring 2007
about a combat flightsim called Sturmovik1946. They were talking about better graphics and much more flyable planes. Knowing now that it was possible now to fly around in a Stuka decided me to buy this game.
I was amazed to see those nice landscapes. Especially one Rumanian mission in a winterlandscape with sunrise.
You can't compare IL2 to CFS3, that's like blashemy.
So I spend a lot of time playing IL2 since Spring 2007 and it costed me two graphics cards and a set of Saitek Rudder Pedals. No TrackIr because I've got the alternative which shall not be mentioned.
And it's actually the only game I play and will be for the time being especially with all those great mods.

Oh, I forget something to mention: When I went out for this game it looked like if nobody had heard of it in the shops. They were looking at me if I was an alien or so.
Hopefully when Bob comes out the publisher will make some extra efforts on promoting it. Otherwise it will be in the bargain bins in a few months.

ploughman
01-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Came late, bought it in despair after the CFS3 debacle. Didn't know anything about Il-2. Just had to try something. Anything. Woohoo, talk about one happy bunny. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

noobisoft
01-21-2009, 10:48 AM
My new PC early last year (www.xicomputer.com) came with some games bundled for free. One of the games listed was LOMAC and I was really looking forward to trying it out. Instead, it came with an older version of Silent Hunter which only played in an 800x600 window. I decided to buy Silent Hunter IV and saw a good deal with IL-2 1946.

PolymerStew
01-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Played the demo and it was great so I got it once I was able to find a copy.
WWII air combat sims were my favorite genre going back to about 1990, so this game was a must have for me.

coyote40368
01-21-2009, 11:00 AM
In 2004 I got a new computer after not having one for 3 years. I was excited to be able to play flight simulators again, but all I had was a copy of CFS2 that had been sitting around since my last 'puter. I was itching for something ETO, so when I saw a copy of Il2: FB gold pack at gamestop for 20 bucks I bought it.

That disk never left the warm embrace of the CD tray for months.

Mr_Zooly
01-21-2009, 11:08 AM
I was waiting on tenterhooks having seen the video clip, this was before the demo was released. The demo was such an improvement over all other flight sims, I was hooked.

mortoma
01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Because it was the best sim coming out at the time, that's why.

Sillius_Sodus
01-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by GIAP.Shura:
To meet chicks.

It hasn't worked.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Spendid!

Chivas
01-21-2009, 12:09 PM
I was flying CFS2, and heard blue byte? was the publisher for this new russian combat flight sim. Later there was call for some beta testers and I was lucky enough to be chosen. IL-2 completely blew me away by the total immersive feel of the sim and how few bugs were present in the beta.

I picked up CFS3 when it came out, flew it a couple of times with great disappointment.

Mr_Zooly
01-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Blue Byte were German IIRC and yeah they were supposedly going to publish IL2 and here is the proof:
http://pc.gamezone.com/gzreviews/p12713.htm

CRSutton
01-21-2009, 03:49 PM
I heard rumors about some Russian company making a game with only East Front aircraft available. I could not believe there would be a game made that did not have American aircraft in it. Talk about a radical change. I bought it the day it came out.

I remember my first take off with a fully loaded IL2. I could barely get it off the ground. (the flight model really was wrong back then) Then I switched to a 109 and was just blown away when I ground looped it a dozen times before finally getting it into the air.

I knew right then that I was "not in Kansas anymore."

dharmaboy75
01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
started out playing Janes WW2 fighters. Then dabbled in a bit of B17 Flying Fortress. Loved the genre for a long time. Heard how good this game was but never picked it up.

Saw it on torrent and wouldnt work. Was cheap on Steam so I bought it. Great game. Went out an got a Saitek Evo stick as well.

Hope to get into it more by joining a squadron

WTE_Galway
01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Was bored silly with whatever version of MSFS I was flying at the time (probably FS98) and I had done the rounds of downloading the zillion dodgy user built addon planes ranging from Fokker Triplanes thru to the Starship Enterprise and surprise surprise virtually non of them actually flew properly (though I did find an awesome Stearman 75) and was about to give up mucking about with flight sims altogether when I read about the original IL2 on some random forum.

Sharpe26
01-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm one of those people that had something of an idea what an Il2 actually is. I saw the first release in a game store 7 years ago. The rest, was history...

louisu
01-21-2009, 05:26 PM
WOW, a new combat flightsim, WW2 Eastern theater of war ...hummmmm UNBELIEVABLE! ,definately i want it....some kind of a compulsive disease....i think. The rest is History of an endless love http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

voyager_663rd
01-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Janes WWII Fighters was the most popular at that time.

IL2 blew it's socks off with the demo & we all had to be a part of it.

jamesblonde1979
01-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Picked it up in a 2 for one bargain bin with CFS3.

Played CFS3 for an hour and got bored so I installed Il-2.

Threw CFS3 out and uninstalled it.

Have never looked back since.

timholt
01-21-2009, 07:56 PM
I saw a write up in the Sunday paper for the original IL2 when it first came out.
Although flying aerobatics as a hobby in real life I had not flown a flight sim since Falcon on an Atari 520 some years previously.
So, I purchased it, then had to have a new computer made to fly it and have been a fan and player ever since.
I have not flown in real life for over 12 months now (it was becoming a chore to pre-flight and put it to bed afterwards) and in fact was starting to get bored with 1946 when the MODS exploded onto the scene and it became a brand new refreshed SIM all over again.
Long live the modders.

I_KG100_Prien
01-21-2009, 08:47 PM
It was an impulse buy really.

I was just wandering through a software store in Sacramento. Was browsing the game section and Saw a bundle package that had the Original IL2 and Silent Hunter 2. Right next to it was Forgotten Battles. EAW was giving me fits on the computer I had at the time (dunno why, one of those older programs newer machine deals).

So I grabbed the bundle and forgotten battles and away I went.

Only reason I knew what an IL2 was at the time was because I had built a model of one when I was a kid.

VMF-214_HaVoK
01-21-2009, 09:18 PM
It was always a fantasy of mine to have a realistic WW2 combat sim to fly online with and against players from all over the world. When I read the preview for IL2 in PC Gamer magazine I knew it was the one. I am delighted to say I was not let down. It is amazing to me that here I am still playing a game I have had since 2001. A true masterpiece Oleg has created.

S!

WhiteKnight77
01-21-2009, 11:12 PM
I first heard about iL2 way back when in a PC Gamer when it was first being worked on. I think I installed the demo for it from a PC Gamer disk even. I bought it not long after it came out and I had a decent PC (for that time), I believe it was sometime in 2002.

I flew it off and on over the next year when I was sent Forgotten Battles from Ubi via the webmaster at GR.net in return for a review of the game. The dynamic campaign really grabbed me and after that, I bought all the new releases for the franchise to include 1946 (which I still haven't installed, but will when I finally get my new PC).

AlarmedBread
01-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Been into sim racing for a few years and some friends in those circles had told me about this one. Have always liked planes growing up next to an airforcebase and seeing them every day. So one night I got a wild hair, bought il2 and a stick. Now I'm hooked and building some rudder pedals and modifying my cockpit to work better for flying. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SkyPiggies
01-22-2009, 12:16 AM
A friend gave me a copy of the original Il-2 back in 2004. It sat uninstalled for a couple of months before I decided to try it.

Confusing experience! I was used to arcade-style simulators without stalls/spins etc. and crashed repeatedly while flying fighters. I then switched to the eponymous Il-2 and things became much simpler.

I learned to shoot down Me-323s, then Ju-87s, then moved onto fighter combat. By this time I was addicted and ordered the full FB/AEP/PF package.

Tully__
01-23-2009, 02:56 AM
I was flying EAW with an online squadron and they switched to IL2. I'd seen it in the store but knew it would stretch the capacity of the computer I was running at the time. As my squad were switching, I had to buy IL2 and upgrade my graphics card. It was so worth it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

K_Freddie
01-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Saw this wierd plane on a disk box... Hey! a flight sim - Russian ???... Never seen this before.

I'd seen some software from USSR before and was pleasantly surprised.. so OK!! I'll give this a go, and bought it for 20% price equivalent of the MS-sim prices.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

TS_Sancho
01-23-2009, 02:04 PM
My squad and I used to fly a game called Fighter Ace. In 2003 we started looking for something more challenging that gave us more control over missions etc. We reviewed and critiqued all the current offerings (aces high, eaw, CFS etc.) and none came close to IL2.
We managed to move a dozen or so pilots in masse to the new platform which was no small achievement. A couple of the guys never got the hang of IL2 and faded away but most stayed.
Personally I still get a pretty good wow factor every now and then and have never looked back.I am planning to move on to BOB when the time comes but thats just evolution.

SlickStick
01-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Jane's WWII Fighters had run it's course and my experience with MS CFS1 was comical, to say the least. Many of the former players of Jane's went to IL-2 (some were even beta testers).

In 2000, I played a beta version, then the released Demo, then bought the game shortly thereafter. Amazing that a game has been replayable for so long, as many here can attest to.

It was Oleg's dedication to this series that did that. He gave us patch after patch of free upgrades, new planes, new objects, etc. He listened to the community and even included objects to support air racing and other endeavors.

Back in the day, he was also quick to respond to cheating threats to his series and released server side controls to prevent the common cheat methods around at the time.

horseback
01-23-2009, 05:30 PM
I'd been playing CFS1 & 2, and Red Baron III a lot when I saw a review of the original Il-2 Sturmovik in one of the flying magazines (I think it was Aviation History), and I was intrigued. This would have been in early 2002.

Naturally, that March, when I saw it at Best Buy on sale for only $29, I snagged it, only to find that my cheesy little eMachines computer's shared 4Mb video couldn't run the bloody thing!

Driven almost mad by the glimpses I'd gotten of the first training missions, I immediately got a PCI video card (an MX100 with 16MB video RAM) capable of running the game, and have never looked back.

Everything was vastly superior to the MicroSoft stuff, and while the Red Baron campaigns were more satisfying in some ways, the FMs and the video were worlds away from anything else I could have imagined.

I was soon lurking about these boards trying to get it to run better and now, nine home built computers later...

cheers

horseback

major_setback
01-23-2009, 06:52 PM
why did you buy IL2 in the first place?

I bought IL2 to get laid.
It didn't work!

larschance
01-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Always been interested in WW2 aircraft since a child. Dreamed of some sort of flying in combat without the nasty bits threatening my life. Over the years played various board games like Air Force Dauntless, Aces High, etc Then came the early PC sims especially Aces over Europe and Aces over Pacific. Cfs1 and 2 built on this as did EAW, Secret Weapons of the LW and others. Finally the little known to us westerners Russian front which had always intrigued me. Came across it on the net and in an aviation mag. My nephew and I initially enjoyed just flying around the scenery before venturing into combat sorties and campaigns. Bought copies for all my male relatives for xmas two years ago but almost no feedback.
Still offers the best ww2 air sim experience. Well done Oleg and team. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gifLooking forward to SOW.

major_setback
01-25-2009, 05:57 AM
I read a review of it while browsing the magazine section at W.H.Smith's.

The review was in PC Pilot.

zoomar
01-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I had been playing EAW and Jane's WW2 fighters. I followed the magazine articles about Il2 when it was being developed and bought within a few weeks of when it was first released. I remember being flummoxed initially by the unforgiving flight models and a little disappointed in the bland appearance until I figured how to set the time and weather for more interesting environments, but the game soon grew on me. I have bought every update, added every patch, and then - when it became apparent Oleg and Co were not going to spend any more effort of official updates - I went the AAA Mod route. This game just gets better and better!

Mac1507
01-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Got into FS2004 through the son, but needed something different to take me away from the very addictive WoW.
Read about IL2 1946 and decided to give it a try, up to now i'm still here, still reading and still enjoying.

Choctaw111
01-26-2009, 08:39 PM
I found Il2 and this forum, from what I can remember, before it was officially released. I was reading about it online and was amazed at the detail it had. I am always looking for the best and most realistic combat flight sim, so I was really excited about this one.

tagTaken2
01-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Got irritated with CFS3 after they released their first patch, one of the fixes was that bullets fired <50m would now count!
The hell with that, this weird demo seems to be more realistic.

doogerie
01-27-2009, 04:22 AM
here is the thing if i can remebr rightley
these scores are from pcg
IL2(orignal)(89%)
Pacific fighters(75%)
IL2FB(90%)
Il2 1946 (95%)
don't ask me how but pcg gave
CFS3(90%)what is up with that?

Swivet
01-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I never heard fron Phil again.. online or off.. maybe he was just a supernatural being sent here to get me sucked into this sim... LOL..

LOL BC, it was the Sim-God http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Well this questions is like asking me why i like food http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
"It feeds an inner hunger of adventure i spose" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I like flying and i like WW2 aircraft period! and when this came out this looked the best graphically..Everyone was talking about it, i kept seeing ads for it etc. etc. So i downloaded the demo and really didn't like it at first because the choice of planes..So it sat here for a cpl years until PF came along then i bought it, once i had a rig that would run it smoothly..Quite frankly i was tired of the learning curves of Jet Sims and wanted a change and loved the nostalgia and romance of these old rustbuckets http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

TS_Sancho
01-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Bearcats story reminds me of a chance meeting with a fellow simmer I had a couple years back.I was browsing the periphreal offerings at a BestBuy in Seattle when all of a sudden this guy wearing an A2 looking flight jacket with about 100 patches busts around the corner, spots the last Saitek X52 on the shelf and scoops it up with a very audible "YES!!"
I had to ask and, yes indeed he was one of us (the stick was for IL2). I've forgotten what his tag was but the look on that dudes face when he saw there was an X52 on the shelf was a Kodak moment.

venny1962
01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Back in 1996 we bought out first computer.. a Mac. Early teen son bought a MacAddict magazine that had a disc with a bunch of demo games in it. One of the games was Wabirds. In the magazine it talk about MMP online play & how close to real the FMs were. Being a WWII aviation buff I loaded it & thought that this was the coolest thing. Real life with a young family & finaces prevented me from flying online but I knew that one day I'd be able to. That day finally came in fall 2004 & Openned an account @ iEntertainment. Man was I disappointed! After 8 years the graphics had gotten worse & the gameplay sucked along with not many players online. Stayed with it though for a couple of years(what an idiot for not checking to see if there were other sims out there) Accidently came across a review of IL2 just as 1946 came out. Went down to the local Wal-Mart & there it was sitting on the shelf. Paid my 40 bucks, loaded it on my machine & WOW! My eyes almost popped out of my head! Great sim.. still spend an average of 90hrs month online http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Metatron_123
01-27-2009, 05:39 PM
I loved 'propeller planes' (as i called them when I was five) since I could talk. I developed an interest in WW2 aviation at around 11, and it has since become an addiction.

At one point I wanted a computer just so I could fly my favorite airplanes in a sim.

I did some research online and i initially thought Jane's WW2 fighters looked the best.
Unfortunately i never played that game (should have when it was still fresh!) but ended up getting CFS2. I was blown away by the aircraft models, but not so impressed with the gameplay. The screen filled with red text every time you got hit! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Finally I saw some pics of IL-2 in some magazine. I thought it looked nothing less than epic. I was amazed by the variety of planes, for example I always wanted to fly all the Bf-109 models, no other sim offered that.

Once I got a computer that could run it I got hooked. Needless to say the enjoyment has since improved with all the patches and now the mods.

I am still nostalgic about those early Il2 days, I feel like I grew up with this game! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

waffen-79
01-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Back in late 2001 a friend gave it to me for free, along with Op Flashpoint because they were "to difficult"

He also introduced me to the BEST girlfriend I ever had

god bless ya mate!

triad773
01-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I had been through FS II with Microsoft, Jane's USAF, B-17II, and FA-18 (the later on the Mac)- then I was somehow unhappy with CFS2 from Micro$oft. I looked at Falcon and others, and thought it was best to try something different. I've never looked back except for a flirtation with MSFS 2004, and a six-month cruise on Silent Hunter 4 which left me with a nagging case of bronchitis. Must be the air recirculation system http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

P.FunkAdelic
02-02-2009, 08:21 PM
I was deep into Silent Hunter 3 and one guy on the SubSim boards was also into IL-2. I figured I needed a taste of sommat new and checked it out.

Sadly being unemployed kept me from buying a joystick. See I'm one of those people that sees a game he wants and long before he buys it he obsessively absorbs as many details about it as he can. I knew which joystick I'd buy and couldn't wait til I got me job and had at it.

I'm a sim fanatic and a realism nerd so I knew I'd love it.

staticline1
02-02-2009, 09:55 PM
I had all the CFS sims as well as Janes WWII fighters and B-17 II but I was challenged to try IL2 on one of the CFS 3 boards by Nausicaa in one of his heated fights with a to be unnamed but not so kinder or gentler CFS3 die hard. For a while I resisted and still had the delusion that this was a lesser sim and all CFS3 needed was some good mods. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif After having tried IL2 FB/PF and actually getting into it I found in time I was becoming a better pilot but still kept saying CFS3 was a good sim. (WTF was I on?) CFS3 is now gathering dust, no one will buy the POS http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif and love this sim especially with some of the new mods/improvements. I still enjoy CFS2 mostly because of nostalgia and it actually had some good missions but all in all I'm glad I found this gem.

polak5
02-02-2009, 10:23 PM
I used to be in a squad for Soldier of Fortune 2 (FPS) called Killing 4 Respect. I was talking to this guy Chris from my squad and telling him that SOF2 was the first pc game I had ever played. So he told me I had missed many good games and that he would send me a whole bunch of games so that I could try them out.
When he said one of the 15 or soo games he was sending me was Il-2 sturmovik I said: what is that?, then that I was NOT interested, he sent it anyways because according to him it was good. I tried it and fell in love, I went and got a joystick and have not looked back. I keep reminding him that IT was all his Fault http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

DrHerb
02-02-2009, 10:46 PM
I first played Chuck Yeager's Air combat on my dad's 486 and was immediatly hooked on flightsims.

after that it was (in no particular order)

Red Baron 3d
Jane's WW2 Fighters
EAW
dabbled a bit in CFS1
Microsoft did a multiplayer "sim" i think it was Fighter Ace, played that till my free trial ran out.

beer soaked brain is having a hard time remembering any others, but I got into IL2 and the rest of the series as soon as it came out and it just blew me away, IL2 blew everything else right out of the water and still does to this day

baronWastelan
02-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Same here, plus I was already a HUGE Ostfront nerd from before the PC! I actually own a book from squadron/signal: "Il-2 Stormovik" (sic) since 1999!!

Originally posted by voyager_663rd:
Janes WWII Fighters was the most popular at that time.

IL2 blew it's socks off with the demo & we all had to be a part of it.

bmoffa
02-03-2009, 09:08 AM
My sons gave it to me for Christams 2 years ago because they know how much I like historic air planes. They included a $20 Joystick. Since then I've spend about $3,000 on upgrades and loving it the whole time.

chicondaman
02-05-2009, 10:17 AM
I took a trip to Chicago on United airlines. I was thinking how I had no idea how this huge hunk of metal flies through the air. It FLIES THROUGH THE AIR!!!! It just hit me like that and I was determined to learn how an airplane flies. So I got FS9 and took the tutorials to learn the basics of flight.

However, right after I got FS9 i started a job on an Air Force base in the big room were they manage an air war. They had all these pictures of wwII aircraft on the walls. It made me remember the Dogfights on History channel episode the Zero Killer about the Hellcat. I became DETERMINED to fly a Hellcat.

So a little research later and I heard about Pacific Fighters. I bought the three pack and started stalling all over the place. This forum taught me about the 1942 bundle and I'm still hooked going on three years later.

I might have slowed down this past year since my baby was born, but those two minutes to action are the greatest thing EVER!

RAF74_Raptor
02-06-2009, 04:51 AM
I started Much like Bearcat in 2002 Ive been here ever since

gorkyporky
02-06-2009, 05:01 AM
Well i got myself LOMAC and after about half a year i got myself IL2, tried it and hated it for its toughnes. I reinstaled it a year later when someone told me "Anyone can dogight in lomac, you suck until you are good in IL2!" So i went trying to prove them wrong and after some time i got hooked on it. I dont fly lomac anymore.