PDA

View Full Version : I need some help on my water... too dark.

sledgehammer2
01-02-2005, 08:48 PM
I know that threads on this have been pretty common but here is my situation and maybe someone can help - I tried the Cat 4.12 driver for my ATI 9800 Pro but it gave me some color and texture problems, so I switched to the 4.11. The water looks good and the reflective qualities are good but it's too dark. That's fine on the Normandy maps but not the PTO! I am running on Perfect settings and Water 1. Up close to shore I see the clearer and lighter color but it lacks the Pacific color quality it should have. Should I wait on a 5.01 driver?

Also, I am patched to 3.03m for the FB/AEP/PF. If anyone can help would appreciate it.

Regards,
Sledgehammer2

sledgehammer2
01-02-2005, 08:48 PM
I know that threads on this have been pretty common but here is my situation and maybe someone can help - I tried the Cat 4.12 driver for my ATI 9800 Pro but it gave me some color and texture problems, so I switched to the 4.11. The water looks good and the reflective qualities are good but it's too dark. That's fine on the Normandy maps but not the PTO! I am running on Perfect settings and Water 1. Up close to shore I see the clearer and lighter color but it lacks the Pacific color quality it should have. Should I wait on a 5.01 driver?

Also, I am patched to 3.03m for the FB/AEP/PF. If anyone can help would appreciate it.

Regards,
Sledgehammer2

Tallyho1961
01-03-2005, 07:58 AM
I don't know if this will help, or not, but checksix-fr.com (the guys who made IL2 Manager) have a file called: atioglxx.dll - 2nd edition available for download in their Pacific Fighters "Utilitaires" (utilities) section.

They claim that it improves water colour rendition with no effect on FPS. I haven't tried it myself, but you might want to check it out.

Their URL is: www.checksix-fr.com (http://www.checksix-fr.com)

The site is in French, so I ran their explanatory text through BabelFish. It's a bit screwy, but understandable:

Users of ATI cards, your water is not beautiful in Perfect water=0? Water in mode 1 pleases you but you do not have enough FPS? Install the atioglxx.dll in your folder of FB/AEP/PF or PF, and you will have a water worthy of this name, with good FPS. Configure your config.ini as the FAQ of the forum Pacific Fighters recommends it.

Good luck.

panthercules
01-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Might be a 3.03 patch thing - I have been out of town and only loaded up the patch the other night, so have only flown a couple of times, but I noticed with water=0 that the rivers on the smolensk and crimea maps were way blacker than they used to be with 3.02bm - when i switched to water=1, they changed back a bit and got somewhat lighter. The one mission I flew on Coral Sea map so far, with water=1, looked pretty good (better than 3.02bm did at water=1, but not necessarily better than 3.02bm at water=0), but I haven't had a chance to really experiment yet. I recommend you just fly a few missions at each water setting and see how they look now with 3.03 before screwing around with drivers first.