PDA

View Full Version : Skins question: Aces skins online vs. offline

Hawgdog
04-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I've done a few QMBs offline using the standard default skins vs. using the Aces skins i.e.P_39NPOKRYSHKIN, Fabian_Bf-109G-10 etc, and see no difference in performance. Is this only seen online? I thought the modeling was different using Aces.

FoolTrottel
04-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Me thinks in QMB you will have to select the Ace's aircraft (bottom of the list) to see a performance difference (probably in AI only that is), not just his skin!

Not sure though... I'm not an Ace, and tend to stay away from them too... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

crucislancer
04-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I really don't know if there is any difference in the AI with the "ace" skins. I did a little one on one the other day, me in a Spit MkVIII or IX, Against the Hartmann G-6 option, set to Ace skill level. No advantages, at 2000 meters, with light clouds, all difficulty options switched on except I had the speed bar on. He went down in flames, I didn't get a scratch. I'll have to look at the track again, but IIRC, we had two head on merges, both of which he took shots at me, after the second I was able to get behind him and stay there for the most part. A couple of times I thought I was going to lose him. I had hit him a few times, he had what looked like a fuel leak and some big holes in the fuselage, then finally I got a good burst in and blew off his tail section. It was a long one, over 5 minutes. It could have turned out different, though. Maybe I'll try again tonight, see about some of the other Aces.

DKoor
04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Two issues here.
Some of those aces are flying different aircraft than everything we have in game, examples are Rudel's Ju-87G1 or Rechkalov's P-39Q15.

Perhaps that has something to do with different performance too among other things? (even if their visual model is exactly the same as our flyables i.e. Ju-87G2 and P-39Q10).

I seem to remember having one really tough fight vs one such computer controlled ace.

Lurch1962
04-17-2008, 04:51 PM
You can set the so-called ace's plane (which is the skin only) to the lowest skill level and that's how he'll fly. At least that's what I recall from a couple of years ago. It was my impression then--and still is--that the ace skins are only the usual window dressing.

crucislancer
04-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Lurch1962:
You can set the so-called ace's plane (which is the skin only) to the lowest skill level and that's how he'll fly. At least that's what I recall from a couple of years ago. It was my impression then--and still is--that the ace skins are only the usual window dressing.

That is certainly a possibility. I don't remember much about how the AI was maneuvering in dogfight I mentioned above, so it could have all been the typical AI responses for the Ace skill level.

I just thought of this, though, and it might prove your point. When the original IL-2 came out, there was no skin options other then the default skins. The Ace skins were most likely thrown in so someone could fight something just a little bit different then the standard skins. Just one of those things that was left in when Forgotten Battles came out.

SeaFireLIV
04-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Hawgdog:
I've done a few QMBs offline using the standard default skins vs. using the Aces skins i.e.P_39NPOKRYSHKIN, Fabian_Bf-109G-10 etc, and see no difference in performance. Is this only seen online? I thought the modeling was different using Aces.

Well, that`s surprising if I understand you right. You actually think that the SKIN affects the level of AI performance?

The skin makes absolutely no difference at all to how the AI fly. As Lurch1962 it`s basic window-dressing. To have the aircraft fly skillfully you must select the difficulty level. So pick the AI, pick the Ace Skin, THEN pick ACE or VETERAN for the desired result.

I thought everyone understood this as standard. Funny how people can see things in different ways.

DKoor
04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
One more thing... for one dead "ace" you get 150pts http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif .