PDA

View Full Version : Are the problems concerning Boontybox solved ?

PrivHalvor
09-13-2006, 06:12 AM
I am wondering if I should download and install the Pe-2 addon.
Will there bee problems with the boontybox installer like it has been in the past ?
Are the problems fixed now after all this time ?

-HH-Quazi
09-13-2006, 07:46 AM
No m8. It seems as though some still have problems with the install. But I believe it is a very, very small minority, with the main problem there being that they can't follow simple instructions. I would gander to say that 99% of of people that purchased 4.05m didn't have a problem with the install and getting rid of Boonty. Shoot, some here didn't find it nescessary to uninstall Boonty once they finally figured out what it actually does.

PrivHalvor
09-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the answer !

I will give it a try

han freak solo
09-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
with the main problem there being that they can't follow simple instructions.

More like, refused to.

LEBillfish
09-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
No m8. It seems as though some still have problems with the install. But I believe it is a very, very small minority, with the main problem there being that they can't follow simple instructions. I would gander to say that 99% of of people that purchased 4.05m didn't have a problem with the install and getting rid of Boonty. Shoot, some here didn't find it nescessary to uninstall Boonty once they finally figured out what it actually does.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

han freak solo
09-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Can I hate you and love you at the same time?

Vacillator
09-13-2006, 08:52 AM
I would say the download and install was a bit of a PITA (partly as I seemed to get the French version from the UK site and didn't see an option for English http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif but that might have been down to me missing something, anyway my French was good enough to complete the task) but following Luthier's instructions posted on this forum made removal of Boonty easy. All in all, well worth it and I would say go for it.

Perhaps ironically, I think part of the stress was caused by expecting problems because of what I'd read from others just after the release http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LEBillfish
09-13-2006, 10:13 AM
IMLTHO the whole Boonty thing was simply a community re-enactment of........

(generously maintained and hosted here: http://www.geocities.com/mjloundy/ )

http://www.geocities.com/mjloundy/chick2.jpg

One day Chicken Little was walking in the woods when -- KERPLUNK -- an acorn fell on her head
"Oh my goodness!" said Chicken Little. "The sky is falling! I must go and tell the king."

On her way to the king's palace, Chicken Little met Henny Penny. Henny Penny said that she was going into the woods to hunt for worms.

"Oh no, don't go!" said Chicken Little. "I was there and the sky fell on my head! Come with me to tell the king."

So Henny Penny joined Chicken Little and they went along and went along as fast as they could.

Soon they met Cocky Locky, who said, "I'm going to the woods to hunt for seeds."

"Oh no, don't go!" said Henny Penny. "The sky is falling there! Come with us to tell the king."

So Cocky Locky joined Henny Penny and Chicken Little, and they went along and went along as fast as they could.

Soon they met Goosey Poosey, who was planning to go to the woods to look for berries.

"Oh no, don't go!" said Cocky Locky. "The sky is falling there! Come with us to tell the king."

So Goosey Poosey joined Cocky Locky, Henny Penny and Chicken Little, and they went along as fast as they could.

Then who should appear on the path but sly old Foxy Woxy.

"Where are you going, my fine feathered friends?" asked Foxy Woxy. He spoke in a polite manner, so as not to frighten them.

"The sky is falling!" cried Chicken Little. "We must tell the king."

"I know a shortcut to the palace," said Foxy woxy sweetly. "Come and follow me."

But wicked Foxy Woxy did not lead the others to the palace. He led them right up to the entrance of his foxhole. Once they were inside, Foxy Woxy was planning to gobble them up!

Just as Chicken Little and the others were about to go into the fox's hole, they heard a strange sound and stopped.

It was the king's hunting dogs, growling and howling. How Foxy Woxy ran, across the meadows and through the forests, with the hounds close behind. He ran until he was far, far away and never dared to come back again.

After that day, Chicken Little always carried an umbrella with her when she walked in the woods. The umbrella was a present from the king. And if -- KERPLUNK -- an acorn fell, Chicken Little didn't mind a bit. In fact, she didn't notice it at all.

The End

han freak solo
09-13-2006, 10:21 AM
I was leanin' towards love, but you've changed my mind.

I bet ya got iTunes on your rig, too.

LEBillfish
09-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Translated version:

http://www.geocities.com/mjloundy/chick2.jpg

One day Noob was downloading on Ubi-shopping when -- KERPLUNK -- The download botched!
"Oh my goodness!" said Noob. "The Boonty downloader is a spyware/cwappy/faulted program! I must go and tell the Mods."

Once on the Ubi forums, Noob met Patch Whiner. Patch Whiner said that she was going to Ubi-shopping to download PE2.

"Oh no, don't go!" said Noob. "I just tried and the download botched because the Boonty downloader is a spyware/cwappy/faulted program!! Come with me to tell the Ubi-mods."

So Patch Whiner joined Noob and they went along and went along as fast as they could posting all over the Ubi-forums.

Soon they met Porked Complainer, who said, "I'm going to Ubi-shopping to download PE2."

"Oh no, don't go!" said Patch Whiner. "Noob & I just tried and the download botched because the Boonty downloader is a spyware/cwappy/faulted program!! Come with us to tell the Ubi-mods."

So Porked Complainer joined Patch Whiner and Noob, and they went along and went along as fast as they could posting all over the Ubi-forums.

Soon they met Maddox Griper, who was planning on posting on the Ubi-forums how IL2 zucks and we should all get Targetware AFTER he downloaded PE2.

"Oh no, don't go!" said Porked Complainer. "Noob, Patch Whiner & I just tried and the download botched because the Boonty downloader is a spyware/cwappy/faulted program!! Come with us to tell the Ubi-mods."

So Maddox Griper joined Porked Complainer, Patch Whiner and Noob, and they went along and went along as fast as they could posting all over the Ubi-forums..

Then who should appear on the path but sly old Software Thief.

"Where are you going, my fine feathered friends?" asked Software Thief. He spoke in a polite manner, so as not to frighten them.

"The Boonty downloader is a spyware/cwappy/faulted program!" Cried Noob, "we must go and tell the Mods."

"I know a shortcut to get this software," said Software Thief sweetly. "Come and follow me and we'll teach Ubi a lesson for making it harder to steal...err get and post all over the forums."

But wicked Software Thief did not lead the others to the forums. He led them right up to the Url of the file hosting service. Once they were inside, Software Thief was planning to infect them all with whatever spyware/cwappy/faulted program he had inadvertently uploaded with his stolen version....naturally, sans the correct code so it would be sure to not work.

Just as Noob and the others were about to download, they saw a strange bunch of posts and stopped.

It was the Ubi-mods and forum members with at least half a brain, growling and howling about thieves, ease of use, and even instructions to help aid in the download (not that they'd read them or would have when they first tried). How Software Thief ran, across the internet and through numerous flight sims and FPS's, with the Ubi-mods close behind. He ran until he was far, far away back at CFS2, and never dared to come back again.

After that day, Noob always read her instructions when downloading from Ubi-shopping. The instructions a present from the Ubi-mods even made STICKY. And if -- KERPLUNK -- a download botched, Noob didn't mind a bit. In fact, she'd just go back and read the instructions and do it right over again.

The End

han freak solo
09-13-2006, 11:07 AM
You are the most annoying shill I've seen on any forum. Job well done, BTW.

DmdSeeker
09-13-2006, 12:47 PM
IBTL!

han freak solo
09-13-2006, 02:32 PM
At OldMan____,

I have a legitimate, purchased, license and download ticket from Boonty from the 1st week of June. I've gotta get home tonight to make sure I still have this. If not, I'll e-mail Boonty for another license.

I bought the Pe-2 then and never got a successful install. I'll PM you with my license later tonight and transfer ownership to you. No charge.

Edit: that should read May 1st not the 1st week of June

bienenbaer
09-14-2006, 03:31 AM
This year I already spend

119 Euros for 4 FS9 add-ons;
56 Euros for 2 X-Plane add-ons;

that I bought on CD/DVD in a local store or via amazon.

I am perfectly willing to overcome this miserable addiction - just because graphic details of these flight sims are so bad - and to ruefully return to il2+aep+pf

IF

Ubisoft gives me the chance to spend

84 Euros for 3 il2+aep+pf add-ons

I can buy on CD/DVD in a local store or via amazon.

Else I will spend 3.500,-- Euros for a new rig I can fly FSX on and waste the rest of my life and money in buying MFS add-ons on CD/DVD in a local store or via amazon.

cheers,
bienenbaer

BiscuitKnight
09-14-2006, 03:47 AM
So, LEbillfish, if boonty is so good... why did I never receive a reply when I asked why my AEP installer was actually a folder, and morever, a folder that'd been screwed with so that I had to replace the conf.ini file?

Boonty should just let you download the game, then f!ck off.

LEBillfish
09-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Well Biscuit Knight;

It's like many things now a days I'm assuming designed to be easy to use (get downloads for the consumer) and keep them up to date so they don't consider switching so thrilled with the service, yet in kind to advertise.....So like most "make your life easier" things a double edged sword.

We're all looking at it from a very narrow minded perspective, so lets look at it from another..........Imagine on your PC you not only have this sim, yet MSFS2000, CFS-X, 8 FPS's, and a few other things they cover....Now some of those items offer "mods" and patches as well as downloads regularly......Here we simply cruise the forums posting "when's da patch, how long to da patch, gimme da patch".....and we're a very modest sim (considering mods I've heard of for others or add ons)...

So imagine if each time you show interest in a game (meaning you're not ignorring it)...Boonty informs you that "here, here & here" is this patch, and this mod, and this add on...........Naturally to sell yet as a courtesy offers the free stuff too.

Most here are very self sufficient....We look for and install our own extra programs to our sim ourselves..........Which makes all the griping about having to manually insert PE2 to avoid Boonty mute. (mute slang for what's the beef?).

Yet, Boonty is justified in their concept as how many here turn off M.S. AutoUpdate? AV auto updates?, any programs auto updates?........Mine are all turned off. In fact, if I don't do it manually on this PC it doesn't happen.......So consider that.

I alter all my programs to be manual, that must mean "I" don't like Boonty!.....Very true....I don't, YET.....I see it for what it is not for the sky falling, so don't gripe about it.

If you have numerous games it might be a useful tool. Or if you hate having to wrestle an install then again, or if you use automatic updates..........Yet in the end it's nothing to gripe about, it simply being a program that is designed to not go away easily. Yet if you think it's bad install AOL on your PC.

So nothing to sweat, just adjust it, remove, yet the griping is too old to even take seriously.

WOLFMondo
09-14-2006, 08:19 AM
I didn't even bother to remove boonty. Bring on the addon and let people follow some simple instructions if they do want to remove it. Its hardly brain surgery and it takes a few minutes.