PDA

View Full Version : lcd monitors?

Kilgore65
02-04-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm thinking of getting one from Dell. What's the verdict on LCD monitors among the PF community? Good for game play now?

BSS_Goat
02-04-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm interested also.
BTW saw some 19" Dell flat screens on ebay for around $350

Hendley
02-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Apart from price, there is NO reason not to get an LCD in this day and age. Concerns about responsiveness vis a vis gaming are pretty much out of date now.

Once you get one, you'll never go back. After a couple of weeks, you won't believe how flickery your old CRT looks... Not to mention the desk space savings... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

madsarmy
02-04-2005, 11:00 AM
I bought this about a month ago Viewsonic VX912B X Series 19" LCD Monitor. I can't fault it. I also use TIR1 with it & no problems.I have not noticed any image blur at all & the colour is just stunning So to round off I will never go back to CRT.

lucas_valentine
02-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Just recently bought one made buy a company called IIayama. Its 19" and absolutely fantastic! I paid 330 but you can get them alot cheaper, it's just I wanted one with a DVI interface. They come highly recommended and you won't regret ditching that old CRT thing thats hogging 50 feet of your desk space.

Blackdog5555
02-04-2005, 11:07 AM
The only downside to Them is you cant use 3D glasses.

x__CRASH__x
02-04-2005, 11:16 AM
I plunked down $650 on a really nice one about a year ago. Used it once, returned it and got a CRT. The refresh rate was such that it caused ghosting behind fast moving objects.

I've discussed this a couple of times at CWoS and the concensous is that a good CRT is not only less expensive, but much much better for gaming.

SeminoleX
02-04-2005, 11:26 AM
I've ben using one for over a year.

Wouldn't go back. Absolutely superior to CRTs.

Just make sure you read the reviews, check the specs, compare and don't pick a poor model for gaming.

madsarmy
02-04-2005, 11:27 AM
A year ago the 9800pro was still one of the best.
A year ago the XP3200 was still one of the best AMD CPU's
A year ago I would not have touched an LCD.
A year ago is a long time in the PC world.
Things change Crash

Hendley
02-04-2005, 11:34 AM
With all due respect Crash, you probably made a bad purchase.

Ghosting is a factor of response time, not refresh rate. If the monitor's response time is 16ms or faster, ghosting should not be an issue.

BSS_Goat
02-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Crash<--------old fashioned http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

AJRobson
02-04-2005, 11:43 AM
The best quality CRT's are still superior to LCD's.

Don't get an LCD unless you really need the extra space.

I just bought a Philips and it is very nice. Viewsonic are the best.. followed by Philips.

Dell and Samsung are the cheapest.

alichino
02-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Also remember that most LCDs do not have the resolution that you can get with a CRT. I use an LCD because of space, but the resolution only goes to 1280x1024. In that regard I have to agree with AJRobson.

lucas_valentine
02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
I can't think why under normal circumstances you'd want to use any res above 1280x1024. You need a pair of binoculars to see icons on a 1600x1200 XP desktop! I love my LCD. The refresh rate is fantastic, the colour is superb the detail is out of this world plus I get a full 19 inches rather than my old 19 inch CRT which has a viewable screen size of 17.5 inches and has a horrible curviture! Once you go LCH you won't go back...as long as you get a good one, preferably with a DVI connection.

GT182
02-04-2005, 12:44 PM
This is the one I recently purchased and is an excellent 19" LCD. It beats any CRT I've seen so far. No reflections, ghosting or anything else. It even came with VGA and DVI cables.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-179-010&depa=1

Not in stock as of today tho... that will tell you one thing. They've sold a bunch of em.

theknightsofni
02-04-2005, 12:51 PM
on a similar note, how do I get PF to run at 1280*1024? and are there any negative effects?

lucas_valentine
02-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Getting PF to run in 1280x1024 involves changing the res manually in the config file. At the same time you also have to change the "SaveAspect" to 0 so you do not get black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. The only negative you will find with doing this is if you play with cockpit off you will not be able to see the blue/red arrows at the top of the screen. Also the position of on screen text changes slightly.

womenfly
02-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I have a Planar 17" LCD for 3 years now. Never had a problem with it. Best resolution I have seen, makes the image look almost 3D. I run PF on all the highest/prefect settings in the game with a GeForce3 VCard. Love it!

http://www.wasp-wwii.org/wasp/images/fifinell.gif

Womenfly2

Chuck_Older
02-04-2005, 02:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alichino:
Also remember that most LCDs do not have the resolution that you can get with a CRT. I use an LCD because of space, but the resolution only goes to 1280x1024. In that regard I have to agree with AJRobson. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the good news is that PF and Fb are native to 1024x768 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I got ahold of an NEC MultiSync LCD1765 last year

I don't know all the tech on LCDs, but I've never had a hint of ghosting, or any problem with a game, or with anything else. they say that LCDs don't really reproduce black well...couldn't prove it by me on my LCD

My LCD makes everything look so good. The first time I saw it, all I could say was "Wow that loosks great". Any time anyone sees the monitor, the first thing they sat is "wow that looks great"

I can set the ehight of the LCD on it's stand, it doesn't weigh a ton, it saves space, and it reproduces graphics fantastically.

Why wouldn't I like it? Plus I never get eyestrain anymore

stansdds
02-04-2005, 02:52 PM
My wife has a new Gateway computer that came with a 17 inch flat LCD. She bought this set up because she has a similar set up at work. Even the cheap Gateway LCD monitor puts out vibrant colors, bUt I do see a little ghosting with rapid movements of the mouse. I expect the higher quality LCD's would be fine for gaming, but you might want to avoid the bargain basement types.

Chuck_Older
02-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Ghosting with rapid movement of the mouse? My CRT did that

When I pass my hand in from of my eyes, I get ghosting, too! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Your eyes don't see movement. Your brain tells you that they do, but your eyes really don't. It's 'filling in the gaps' for you, optically. try it: swipe your hand in front of your face. Did you see a 'ghost' of your hand?

stansdds
02-04-2005, 03:54 PM
All I can say is the ghosting is more pronounced than on a CRT monitor. But I am still sold on the idea of an LCD monitor in my future.

CD_kp84yb
02-04-2005, 04:07 PM
I have a Benq FP937s 19Inch TFT, its fast has a good response 12Ms, perfect colours (black is black and white is white) and a native resolution of 1280x1024.
No problems with ghosting, its worth a try. I use it four a couple of months now, no dead pixels no problems at all, it works perfect with track ir 3pro.
Only neg was it price hehe,

Cess-SGTRoc
02-04-2005, 07:31 PM
I got a LCD Monitor about a year ago, a Microtek 815C.
I had a 21" Sony Trinatron one that cost almost 900 usd. Well when I hooked up the LCD that was it. I will never go back to a CRT. The lcd is so much better that it is not even funny.
I say yes get one you will not go back to the old, that I will say for sure.

GT182
02-04-2005, 08:16 PM
I might add that when you get a LCD monitor and you have a video card with DVI, use it. Digital(DVI) is far superior than analog. And I believe CRTs are analog only.

Slammin_
02-04-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm not convinced LCD has caught up with crt yet. I figure that by the time the price comes down, then perhaps it has.

And to be more pointed, to date, in my own experience, LCD is inferior in visual quality when compared to crt.

The only way I'd buy an LCD today would be satisfy a space requirement I'm facing in the kitchen right now.

I'll prolly go cheap and get a small crt for a year.

Then, to flip it, I cannot imagine replacing my Nec FE1250+ with an LCD.

So, I guess it's all about personal needs. I need an LCD in my kitchen right now.

woofiedog
02-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Blackdog5555... The new 3D Glasses can now be used with LCD's.
I just purchased a set from EDimensional.
Quote: Set yourself free of wires and view amazing 3D gaming action through our wireless 3D glasses. Any existing game on any PC comes to life when you slip on our wireless 3D glasses. Now supporting both CRT and LCD monitors! (no laptop screens)

Saunders1953
02-05-2005, 01:01 AM
You Ba$$tards! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I did a major upgrade(loooong overdue)last October in preparation for PF: P4 3Gig; 1 Gig RAM, lots of hard drive, GE Force 6800 GT. I thought about an LCD, but was warned off because of the ghosting issue (and price--IIRC, a decent 19 inch was about $800-$1000 then???). I just paid off my MC last month for the first time in about 5 years, and was maybe going to get TrackIR next month. But after reading this thread this afternoon, I figured, WTH, couldn't hurt to check things out at Best Buy. Hey, my wife does the same at Marshall Fields or wherever, and comes home with a $200 dress that she will wear maybe to one wedding and a graduation. Now I ask you, which is going to be used more....

So, long story short, I just hooked up my brand new Viewsonic VX910. IT ROCKS! The game is just BEEEUWTEEFUL! It really was worth it at $449. I thought I was seeing a bit of ghosting, but it could be my eyes. I'm nearsighted, so I play the game without my glasses and am used to sitting about 18'' from the screen. About halfway from when the little dots sprout wings to my convergence range (250)---what is that, maybe 600-800 meters???---the A/C get a little blurry. I think maybe I just need to adjust my viewing distance.

Anyway, Kilgore65 thanx for starting this thread and thank the rest of you for the information. Crash, you might want to give one a try. Lucas, thanx for the tip on the resolution. Woofiedog, I thought the 3D glasses discussions work just some sort of running joke. Do they really work? LOL, they never did much for me back in the day at the horror flicks!

One question guys, what should I do for my next sound card? I have a SoundBlaster I got when IL2 first came out--I forget just what, but it was pretty good for the time. And with Plantronics headphones and changing my PCI latency as was suggested a couple of weeks ago, the sound is really pretty good. But when I do get one, what's your verdict?

Trink_Afri-Cola
02-05-2005, 01:58 AM
Does anyone have a comment on the use of Widescreens, what exactly happens to the image of il2, is it stretched to the edeges or are the sides blacked out?

Trink_Afri-Cola

Hoatee
02-05-2005, 06:00 AM
I'm very keen to try out 3d glasses as well - seems to me the ultimate experience (virtual reality). I'm near sighted too though - surely that'll reduce my vision on things (as in real life)?

woofiedog
02-05-2005, 06:33 AM
Saunders1953... I've been playing with the TrackIR3 Pro so far which is Great... but I have the Glasses all set-up... but haven't really played with them yet.
This week-end is Super Bowl and I'm from Mass and a Patriot's Fan... so I won't be playing to much IL-2 this week-end.
As soon as I do get all the bug's out though with the Glasses... I'll post how they are.
I have both TV and computer set-up's.

Trink_Afri-Cola... a there are a couple of Forum memebers with wide-screen set-ups.
I believe Baldie Jr is one.
There also might be some info in the Help Page... Sturmovik Essentials.
Try posting though on the Help Page.

Saunders1953
02-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks Woofie, I'll be interested in your review of the 3D system.