PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Configuration Tool

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Well its just some thinking ...

... but wouldn't it be fun to have an editor that allows you to alter the equipment of planes?

Actually I know that the game is encrypted to avoid such modifications but if it was a controlable tool with the option not to allow self modified aircraft on online servers this could provide a lot of extra fun.

I don't know the interna of the game structure but I guess that parts like engines and guns are stored in definition tables and that they are fitted to hardpoints on the aircraft model. So the tool simply would give us the chance to change the equipment fitted to the hardpoints.

This way you could for example configure a BF110 with Jumo213As insted of the BD605s and 4xMK103 + 2xBK-4 40mm cannon. Perhaps the gun spec table applies a specific weight to each gun so the aircraft would get too heavy. This would set some parameters to the modifications.

Well its just some thinking but it would provide some extraordinary fun to an otherwise excellent game.

P.S. can you imagine a Storch with a 2000hp Jumo engine and a NS45 45mm defgun??? ;-)

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Well its just some thinking ...

... but wouldn't it be fun to have an editor that allows you to alter the equipment of planes?

Actually I know that the game is encrypted to avoid such modifications but if it was a controlable tool with the option not to allow self modified aircraft on online servers this could provide a lot of extra fun.

I don't know the interna of the game structure but I guess that parts like engines and guns are stored in definition tables and that they are fitted to hardpoints on the aircraft model. So the tool simply would give us the chance to change the equipment fitted to the hardpoints.

This way you could for example configure a BF110 with Jumo213As insted of the BD605s and 4xMK103 + 2xBK-4 40mm cannon. Perhaps the gun spec table applies a specific weight to each gun so the aircraft would get too heavy. This would set some parameters to the modifications.

Well its just some thinking but it would provide some extraordinary fun to an otherwise excellent game.

P.S. can you imagine a Storch with a 2000hp Jumo engine and a NS45 45mm defgun??? ;-)

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 02:15 PM
oh dear lord no.

throw him to the CFS lions forthwith. away to crimson skies with him.

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 03:09 PM
possible customization are already supported by the different versions of each plane...

others are, either so rare that it would be strange to encounter them in every game, or just impossible... Or it was too complex to include them in the FM engine (and it will even more complex with a tool allowing to mess with them)...

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 03:29 PM
Well im not so sure I think the idea is too good, but you do have a point in some things you say. I think the weak point in IL2FB is UI (User Interface) the menus, the Full Mission Builder, arming screen etc etc.. Honestly? It sucks. But of course this is only a "smaller" issue, since the main game is in the 3d Engine.

The "arming" screen could be different or contain some other changes:

Fuel loadout - Why can you only fill the fueltanks with 25% intervals?? its really not very realistic. you should be able to fill it by no. of % like you can do already in the FMB. <<< FIX THIS OLEG PLZ

(Also It would be nice if you could fill auxillary tanks/main tanks with different values.)

Ammo - Well... the convergence values need a "lift" they are not really as good as they should be, I mean wouldnt it be great if you could change it, just like you could change it in real life? (screws for azimuth, elevation and inclination) Also if it was possible, why not put in a "number of tracers/sharp rounds" value?? Me for example wouldnt want to bring any tracers at all,..

And one more thing:

THE CHATBOX IS A JOKE < < FIX THIS PLEASE

There MUST be a HOTKEY to remove it from the 3d window. This is probably the worst chatbox in any online game I have ever come across..

Suggestions for fix (in order of priority):

1. Fix a HOTKEY to toggle chat on or off

2 Skip the macro, make the font size smaller (or cusomizable in conf.ini) The font size is HUGE and fighter pilots are supposed to have good vision.

3. One hotkey for SAYTEAM and one hotkey for SAYALL

The most annoying thing about IL2FB is that it could be so great, with just some small fixes like the chatbox.

/Petter_Gul
CO, Flygflottilj 16
#1 Swedish Virtual Squadron
http://www.f16vs.tk

"Slider.... You Stink..."

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Hoarmurath wrote:
- others are, either so rare that it would be strange
- to encounter them in every game, or just
- impossible...

Well I'm not talking about planes that really existed. I like the games degree of realism (although you can't say that for some thing) but just for fun i'd like to have some ueberplanes like a BF109F with MK108s istead of its MG17s. Or perhaps even install heavy 380mm ship cannons on a Yak.

- Or it was too complex to include them
- in the FM engine (and it will even more complex with
- a tool allowing to mess with them)...

This is the part where i can only guess ...
In my opinion you do not have a FM for each loadout of each plane. So I mean the FM for the standard BF109G6 is the same as for the G6 armed with a SC500 bomb. The only difference is that you have an object (the bomb) installed at a fixed harpoint on the model providing additional drag and weight to the aircraft which influences the FM. Perhaps the FM-engine even takes into account the position of the additional weight relative to the cg of the aircraft itself to provide a more realistic behaviour.

As you can install different bombs (250kg, 500kg) on the bomb rack i think the game has a spec table looking like that:

Name Weight/kg Drag ExplosionStrength
SC50 50 10 20
SC250 250 25 100
SC500 500 35 200
(just some stupid values)

So the game picks weight and drag and adds it to the FM's values. So theoretically you could add any bomb with any value to the aircraft model of the BF109G6, even the FAB5K, but that would exceed the aircrafts maximum takeoff weight a bit.

And I guess this would also work with guns. The table for these would consist of values like

Name, Weight, ShellWeight, TracerType, ROF, MuzzleSpeed, ...

So for installing a gun you simply say:
Hardpoint01: MK108, 65 (rounds)

Instead of MK108 there could be any value you like. This seems to work that way on the BF109G6 (again :-) ) where you can choose the MG151 or MK108 nose cannon. And as the MK108 is a LOADOUT it is NOT a different FM but just a changed harpoint config.

So all I want is a small loadout editor to add stupid loadout configurations for aircraft to modify harpoint settings. You could for example replace the P47s eight .50 cals with eight NS37 cannons. Seems very simple to me.

The effect on the flight characteristics would depend on the additional weight of the cannons and its ammunition (in this config the P47 would be overweighted and wouldn't even be able to take off)

AND its ONLY FOR FUN - there needed to be a switch to allow or not allow self modified loadouts on your multiplayer servers.

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 04:17 PM
svkcp255 wrote:
- Hoarmurath wrote:
-- others are, either so rare that it would be strange
-- to encounter them in every game, or just
-- impossible...
-
- Well I'm not talking about planes that really
- existed. I like the games degree of realism
- (although you can't say that for some thing) but
- just for fun i'd like to have some ueberplanes like
- a BF109F with MK108s istead of its MG17s. Or perhaps
- even install heavy 380mm ship cannons on a Yak.
-
-- Or it was too complex to include them
-- in the FM engine (and it will even more complex with
-- a tool allowing to mess with them)...
-
- This is the part where i can only guess ...
- In my opinion you do not have a FM for each loadout
- of each plane. So I mean the FM for the standard
- BF109G6 is the same as for the G6 armed with a SC500
- bomb. The only difference is that you have an object
- (the bomb) installed at a fixed harpoint on the
- model providing additional drag and weight to the
- aircraft which influences the FM. Perhaps the
- FM-engine even takes into account the position of
- the additional weight relative to the cg of the
- aircraft itself to provide a more realistic
- behaviour.
-
- As you can install different bombs (250kg, 500kg) on
- the bomb rack i think the game has a spec table
- looking like that:
-
- Name Weight/kg Drag ExplosionStrength
- SC50 50 10 20
- SC250 250 25 100
- SC500 500 35 200
- (just some stupid values)
-
- So the game picks weight and drag and adds it to the
- FM's values. So theoretically you could add any bomb
- with any value to the aircraft model of the BF109G6,
- even the FAB5K, but that would exceed the aircrafts
- maximum takeoff weight a bit.
-
- And I guess this would also work with guns. The
- table for these would consist of values like
-
- Name, Weight, ShellWeight, TracerType, ROF,
- MuzzleSpeed, ...
-
- So for installing a gun you simply say:
- Hardpoint01: MK108, 65 (rounds)
-
- Instead of MK108 there could be any value you like.
- This seems to work that way on the BF109G6 (again
- :-) ) where you can choose the MG151 or MK108 nose
- cannon. And as the MK108 is a LOADOUT it is NOT a
- different FM but just a changed harpoint config.
-
- So all I want is a small loadout editor to add
- stupid loadout configurations for aircraft to modify
- harpoint settings. You could for example replace the
- P47s eight .50 cals with eight NS37 cannons. Seems
- very simple to me.
-
- The effect on the flight characteristics would
- depend on the additional weight of the cannons and
- its ammunition (in this config the P47 would be
- overweighted and wouldn't even be able to take off)
-
- AND its ONLY FOR FUN - there needed to be a switch
- to allow or not allow self modified loadouts on your
- multiplayer servers.

It's not going to happen.

I am 100% sure Oleg is not going to allow such tool in this world class sim to turn it into a little kiddies arcade shooter.

<center> http://www.322squadron.com/images/322.gif </center>

XyZspineZyX
08-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Ok, IÔ┬┤ll suport you: my kitte will be a I-16 with SturmovikÔ┬┤s armor, Pratt&Whitney R-2800 engine and 4 nose NS-45 cannons.

Nah, better play Crimson Skies.....

"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty but the pig enjoys it!"