PDA

View Full Version : How does this game calculate a hit?

blakduk
06-21-2005, 12:11 AM
This is just a general question- is it purely based on probability (ie- it randomly assigns a 'hit' when you shoot in the general direction of something) or does it calculate the path of each bullet?
The reason i ask is because i have scored some extraordinarily lucky hits lately (I'm still using AEP 2.04). As an example, i recently lined up a He111 from his high 4 o'clock, came diving down to hit him from about 500meters when suddenly tracers came over my shoulder. A 190 had followed me into the dive so i had a quick snapshot at the Heinkel, split-S'd my way out and got into a dogfight with the 190. When i had eventually sorted him out i looked for the Heinkel and thought initially he'd gotten away until I saw a smoke plume in the distance.
Once i reviewed the track i saw an incredible thing- my tracer shot near the fuselage but most missed (not surprising given the range) but the He111 suddenly reared up and went into a flat spin. It took a couple of replays for me to find the cause of this extraordinary maneuvore- a bullet had killed the pilot! I scanned the aircraft during numeruous replays and it looks like only one or two bullets actually hit the plane- one of those brought it down.

FritzGryphon
06-21-2005, 12:21 AM
The game tracks each bullet, where it hits on the target plane, and what internal components (pilot included) it strikes as it travels through the plane.

If you turn on arcade mode (set arcade=1 in conf.ini), you will see arrows on the airplane, showing where you hit.

SeaFireLIV
06-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Yes. This is one of the most amazing things about this sim that truly impresses me. EACH BULLET is tracked and each hit is registered to EXACTLY where it goes. If you miss, you miss. If you hit the wingtip, it registers the wingtip, if you hit the engine it registers.

Where you hit really counts. Just like in real life. I`ve never touched the arcade, for I`ve seen it working easily enough.

I think a lot of new fliers (especially PF fliers) don`t realise the enormity of this, thinking they should anywhere and hit a `bubble` around the plane, like so many previous sims. When you do understand this, it then dawns how amazing this sim is.

And BOB will be even more precise. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HoldSteady641
06-21-2005, 01:24 AM
And BOB will be even more precise. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It will? How so? Is it from the same developers?

FritzGryphon
06-21-2005, 01:58 AM
Yes, same devs. Due some time in 2007. For some development shots, check out my sig below. A long time ago Oleg made a post about their plans for damage model, wish I could find it again.

Anyway, BoB will model more internal components, and the model for existing components (engines, fuel etc) will be more complex.

Things like the coolant system, ammo, and even tires I think. Flaps too. The structural model will include more parts, and damage to structural members will affect load limits. Damage to your airplane may persist over more than one mission, if there isn't time to fix it.

I think he also talked about having seperate fuel tanks. Ie. Being able to select tanks, and leaks that will only drain the punctured tank, rather than all.

HoldSteady641
06-21-2005, 02:35 AM
Cool! thx for the info!

F4UDash4
06-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
EACH BULLET is tracked and each hit is registered to EXACTLY where it goes.

Well gee, if each bullet is now tracked and registered exactly where it hits, how can BOB be more precise? Is BOB gonna give each bullet a name ersumthin??

Chuck_Older
06-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by F4UDash4:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
EACH BULLET is tracked and each hit is registered to EXACTLY where it goes.

Well gee, if each bullet is now tracked and registered exactly where it hits, how can BOB be more precise? Is BOB gonna give each bullet a name ersumthin?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BoB could take range and hitting power based on range due to muzzle velocities, ammo loadout, and have control damage relate to redundancy of systems (you don't think that aircraft just have one control cable for each control, do you? they are redundant- meaning more than one- a pitiable omission from sims to thes point in my opinion), hits to particular equipment- for example- you oxygen regulator gets hit...go over 10,000 feet and you black out and become unconscious, perhaps waking up in an uncontrollable dive...but you don't know this could happen unless you actually check the gauge

How about one landing gear oleo strut is damaged, cartwheeling your plane across the runway? Or your radio gets destroyed, making comms unavailable? Canopy gets holed and a shreiking wind deafens you? Rudder trim destroyed? )One aileron flapping in the breeze?

The real world's pretty complex http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

One thing that is much more precise that will be in BoB-

aircraft fatigue

Say a wingspar is damaged and then repaired. The DM is reportedly going to reflect that previous repair

That's how it could get more precise

Tully__
06-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by F4UDash4:
...how can BOB be more precise?

The interior components of the aircraft will be modelled in more detail, leading to more variety in damage levels. See FritzGryphon's post above for more info.

FI-Aflak
06-21-2005, 11:36 AM
I'd love more wind noise. It shouldn't be quiet with the canopy open or in an open-aircraft. windnoise is cool.

Covino
06-21-2005, 11:49 AM
One thing you must understand is that with HE/explosive shells (even with rockets and bombs), each shrapnel fragment is modeled so if you hit a plane with a cannon round on the top of the engine cowling, a fragment may travel back and nail the pilot between the eyes. Or the fragments may miss the pilot and vital parts of the engine and not cause significant damage at all. This may cause some to believe it's random when it's not.

EDIT: Also, some bullets/shrapnel are stopped by armor or strong portions of the airframe while others aren't so that is another factor.

EDIT2: And there are usually invisible bullets between the tracer rounds so that if only a couple tracers look like they hit, there was probably more in between them. Also, even in some MG's like the .50 cal, some rounds are given an explosive property (the fragmentation effect).

SeaFireLIV
06-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Talking about shrapnel from flak I remember once I was flying in formation with my Squad through some flak. There was a puff of black smoke near me and everything went black. When I asked what had happened the other guys said my plane just went down, probably from an unlucky flak hit! No one else was hit.

What really bugged me is that it happened again on the very next mission! Talk about unlucky. Now every time I fly through flak I`m mentally counting where those shards of hot metal are flying and praying I don`t get another `unlucky` one.

blakduk
06-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the info guys- Wow http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
The bar keeps getting raised in these sims and i'm glad to see 1C staying in the race rather than resting on their laurels. The first time i saw Il2 running my jaw hit the floor at the complexity of the modelling- to see that complexity is set to expand is very pleasing indeed.