PDA

View Full Version : VAC has any one use it?

MiamiEagle
06-09-2006, 08:14 AM
I found this program call VAC, voice Activated Command program. I was wondering if anyone in this community has use it and of what quality is it. What kind of requirements are needed to be able to activated it like a micrphone and what other PC programs does one need to make it work.

Has any one use it before. Your help will be apprecited.

Miamieagle

MiamiEagle
06-09-2006, 08:14 AM
I found this program call VAC, voice Activated Command program. I was wondering if anyone in this community has use it and of what quality is it. What kind of requirements are needed to be able to activated it like a micrphone and what other PC programs does one need to make it work.

Miamieagle

RxMan
06-09-2006, 08:44 AM
This is a GREAT program. I was one of the first to donate shareware for this fine program, as I was once a shareware programmer (on the C64 and Amiga) and know how great it feels to get donations for work done. Even if not needed.
I got it when it was first released and improvements have
come along at regular intervals.
It can be used differently as your desires change.
From an aid to all functions, I wanted it to use as aid for things like 50 keystrokes to raise the gear on manual geared planes as my hands don't work so good, dropping tanks or gun pods, flaps, normal landing gear, etc etc. Or if you're one of the full real people, use it as you would in RL. i.e. giving orders to your copilot in a twin crewed plane, or esp for the radio commands to wingmen/squadron while in flight, much more realistic then typing numbers. When set up properly, (very easy) it doesn't interfer with regular comms activity.
I don't fly much currently, but still keep this program up to date.
BTW also great for thins like centering your TrackIR and , well, if you can think of something to do, it will help you do it. It's just that great.....
disclaimer: I am in no way associated with the producer of this program, I just think it is a must have.
"TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT" even if your name isn't Mikey.

steve_v
06-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I use it and really like it. It comes with a 30 day free trial, which should be long enough for you to dicide if its worth a ten dollar investment. This is the headset I use with it Altec Lansing AHS 502 Stereo Headset (http://www.magnum-pc.com/_e/loc/sproduct/10361105/Altec_Lansing_AHS_502_Stereo_Headset.htm)

leitmotiv
06-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Just what I was looking for!

MiamiEagle
06-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Thank you guys for your input. I appreciate it very much.

Miamieagle

amoreau
06-11-2006, 09:41 AM
there is another piece of software (freeware also, I believe) that does the same thing. It is called "Shoot".

Major_V
06-11-2006, 10:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MiamiEagle:

Miamieagle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with others that VAC is a great program. I used it extensively for a time, and had it handle a great number of radio and other commands, which greatly added to the immersion factor. However, I ran into a significant technical problem--occasionally (not always), the game performance would slow to a stuttering crawl. When I checked Task Manager, I found that sapisrv.exe, XP's speech recognition program upon which VAC relies, was taking up a huge amount of resources. I would have to terminate the process, which also terminated VAC. Ultimately, this led me to stop using VAC altogether.

Has anyone else had this problem or figured out a solution?

Major V

dove_58
06-11-2006, 01:43 PM
It's a great program with a very good support. Unfortunately I sometimes have the same problem as Major_V. I have found that lowering the Process Priority one notch is reducing this problem. Right now my Process priority is set to normal. The sapisrv.exe goes crazy sometimes but I still use the program.

Bearcat99
06-11-2006, 08:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amoreau:
there is another piece of software (freeware also, I believe) that does the same thing. It is called "Shoot". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless SHOOT has changed significantly it is not as good as VAC. VAC runs using a GUI... Shoot1.6 doesnt.. VAC is made by a community member Shoot isnt.... Shott may be free... but you get what you pay for... or dont. VAC is a great program.

WWSensei
06-13-2006, 09:23 AM
I use Flight Assistant. Free and does the job. I don't map all the controls, just the radio commands for offline use to control AI wingmen.

MiamiEagle
06-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Well gentelman where can I get shoot or Flight Assistant . I would like to try them out.

Thank you

Miamieagle

Bearcat99
06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWSensei:
I use Flight Assistant. Free and does the job. I don't map all the controls, just the radio commands for offline use to control AI wingmen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No link? Bad Sensei!! Bad Sensei!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WWSensei
06-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Ow Ow Ow! Quit hittin' me Bearcat...ok ok ok here it is...

http://www.thelindercompany.de/

Look under the Applications section. It's not as powerful as VAC but does what I want it to.

Flying_Nutcase
06-14-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm another happy VAC customer. It astounds me how well it works and I was also happy to support a community member project. If you get it make sure you download **** Darstardly's profile. It works a treat.

Shift_E also made Quick Mission tuner (freeware).

P.S. That's D-i-c-k Darstadly. This word filter sucks eggs.

Major_V
06-15-2006, 08:43 AM
I just re-installed the latest version of VAC and it is awesome--way more great features and options than those other programs (excellent GUI; push to activate; push to deactivate; "arm" mode; "sleep" mode; "awake" mode; keyboard tester; multiple profiles; command line startup; etc., etc., etc.). Plus, I needed a little technical help due to some unusual hardware issues, and Shift_E's personal technical support earned an A+++! Now that I know a little more about the optimal settings and options, the program runs perfectly in IL2 with very little resource drain and greatly adds to the immersion factor. The $10 registration fee is very nominal given all the outstanding features and support you get. Can't say enough great things about this program--if you are not using VAC, you are really missing out.

Major V

Bearcat99
06-15-2006, 05:36 PM
I have been using VAC since the beta..... It has no equal. Plus it just keeps gettungbetter and better... and ShiftE's support is unmatched.. i thinlk he went to the Oleg Maddox school of software developement because the guy could have just stopped a long time ago but he constantly upgrades it... in fact he does it so often I find myself more often than not using an older version not reraliuzing that it has gone into another incarnation.