PDA

View Full Version : Tempest tips?

crucislancer
05-20-2007, 07:37 AM
So, I'm playing around with the Tempest, does anyone have any tips for this one?

EiZ0N
05-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Taking rockets slows you down a lot.

It's not that fast (compared to what you might expect), so stay as high as possible.

Climb climb climb!

Don't bother turning with anything.

I'm not an expert though.

Talking of rockets, about a year ago I was playing with the tempest a lot, using rockets. I shot down quite a few enemy fighters with rockets, it was good fun. Get really close and wait for a good deflection shot.

Also works a treat for bombers. Rockets are also funny when the enemy goes low and fast..just shoot the ground http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VW-IceFire
05-20-2007, 08:28 AM
If the search is still working there have been many good threads in the past on how to fly the Tempest.

Generally speaking you need to stay very fast and zoom in on any opponent you see. Never stay to dogfight...rolling scissors might work for one or two rotations at which point you've bled your speed...so avoid all of that. Stay fast, respond rapidly to an enemy plane, and learn how to hit with the first burst. The advantage with the Tempest is how fast it is down low and its huge firepower. If you can get good at hitting your target in the first shot...then you can guarantee a fair number of kills simply due to the immense firepower.

EiZ0N
05-20-2007, 08:33 AM
I've a question.

When employing BnZ tactics, often the enemy will take evasive action just as you swoop in. Often, for me at least, this throws my aim off and I can't get a shot.

What's the best advice? Swoop back up and keep trying, until they mess up their evasive action?

JtD
05-20-2007, 08:54 AM
That's what I do. Most pilots also have their fav evasive, so when you come in a third time you know where they are going and you nail them.

crucislancer
05-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
If the search is still working there have been many good threads in the past on how to fly the Tempest.

Generally speaking you need to stay very fast and zoom in on any opponent you see. Never stay to dogfight...rolling scissors might work for one or two rotations at which point you've bled your speed...so avoid all of that. Stay fast, respond rapidly to an enemy plane, and learn how to hit with the first burst. The advantage with the Tempest is how fast it is down low and its huge firepower. If you can get good at hitting your target in the first shot...then you can guarantee a fair number of kills simply due to the immense firepower.

Ah, excellent. Thanks for that. IceFire, your Storm Clouds campaign is the reason I'm asking. I'm having a boatload of fun with it, but I'm pretty much a Tempest noob. I got seriously spanked by those 190s in the third mission a few times. Finally got pass it, though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
05-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Some quick tips on the engine...

You can run 100% without boost quite nicely without overheat, but with boost the engine overheats big time. I alternate between 70% and 90% "prop pitch" (which in the Tempest is actually just controlling the RPMs) with WEP enabled. This gives you extra power without constant overheat...so if the engine gets hot you back off to 70% but still with boost enabled and you've got allot of power.

Glad your enjoying my campaign...be sure to grab part two if you really like it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

crucislancer
05-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Some quick tips on the engine...

You can run 100% without boost quite nicely without overheat, but with boost the engine overheats big time. I alternate between 70% and 90% "prop pitch" (which in the Tempest is actually just controlling the RPMs) with WEP enabled. This gives you extra power without constant overheat...so if the engine gets hot you back off to 70% but still with boost enabled and you've got allot of power.

Glad your enjoying my campaign...be sure to grab part two if you really like it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cool, I'm gonna give that a shot. I've been running just under 100% power and 90% PP until I go into combat, then max both and use WEP sparingly. Yeah, I made it overheat rather quickly the other day against those 190s. Especially when they chased me back to my base. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

PRAETORIVS
05-20-2007, 11:03 PM
I get best speed performance using 55 to 65% Prop pitch with WEP engaged. Best climb rates seem to be achieved at prop pitch of 80 to 100%.

Turning is bad. You can make one, single really good turn ... then you're done. Unfortunately, even a B-17 can stay with you during that turn after having lost its ailerons, thus it is unlikely that that turn will shake anyone on your tail. Turning is bad.

Speed is your only hope.

Of course, almost anything - including I-153's and Tb-3's - is faster if it is in an equal energy state to yours .... if it showed up above you you should consider being polite and bailing out right now so he won't have to waste his ammo and time shooting you down.

It takes considerable courage to fly that aircraft on-line .... I just have suicidal tendencies.

It does not perform anything like a real Tempest V. I like it, though, because it does take guts to fly it and it is probably the single most beautifully modelled cockpit in the entire game. I like the hitting power as well; those 4 Hispanos make nice dents in hostile aircraft when you can actually get close enough to someone to fire at him.

Spitfires and Oleg's Wonder Machine will be your bane .... Spits, mainly. The Spit-somethings in this game (They are so much faster than Spit IX's, yet so much slower than Spit XIV's that I'm not sure exactly what kind of Spits they are so I call them Spit-OX's for now) are painfully faster than the "Tempest V" in this game .... despite the fact that even the slowest possible Tempest variant was still faster than the fastest possible Spitfire-IX variant (The 25 LBS Boost rated variant that never entered service because it was superfluous since the IX was being phased-out for the XIV). Staying higher is vital because only with in a better energy state are you likely to avoid getting hammered.

Despite all that the "Tempest V" is still my 3rd most flown type and I have had success in it. It does best if you make sure you are no lower than 3,000m when you enter the likely combat area .... higher is even better.

mynameisroland
05-21-2007, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by PRAETORIVS:
I get best speed performance using 55 to 65% Prop pitch with WEP engaged. Best climb rates seem to be achieved at prop pitch of 80 to 100%.

Turning is bad. You can make one, single really good turn ... then you're done. Unfortunately, even a B-17 can stay with you during that turn after having lost its ailerons, thus it is unlikely that that turn will shake anyone on your tail. Turning is bad.

Speed is your only hope.

Of course, almost anything - including I-153's and Tb-3's - is faster if it is in an equal energy state to yours .... if it showed up above you you should consider being polite and bailing out right now so he won't have to waste his ammo and time shooting you down.

It takes considerable courage to fly that aircraft on-line .... I just have suicidal tendencies.

It does not perform anything like a real Tempest V. I like it, though, because it does take guts to fly it and it is probably the single most beautifully modelled cockpit in the entire game. I like the hitting power as well; those 4 Hispanos make nice dents in hostile aircraft when you can actually get close enough to someone to fire at him.

Spitfires and Oleg's Wonder Machine will be your bane .... Spits, mainly. The Spit-somethings in this game (They are so much faster than Spit IX's, yet so much slower than Spit XIV's that I'm not sure exactly what kind of Spits they are so I call them Spit-OX's for now) are painfully faster than the "Tempest V" in this game .... despite the fact that even the slowest possible Tempest variant was still faster than the fastest possible Spitfire-IX variant (The 25 LBS Boost rated variant that never entered service because it was superfluous since the IX was being phased-out for the XIV). Staying higher is vital because only with in a better energy state are you likely to avoid getting hammered.

Despite all that the "Tempest V" is still my 3rd most flown type and I have had success in it. It does best if you make sure you are no lower than 3,000m when you enter the likely combat area .... higher is even better.

Man reading your post you make it out that the Tempest V is barely competitive! I guess the plane I fly that can run away/chase down Fw 190D9s, out turn Bf 109s and out shoot both of them must be a hack version of the plane.

My findings are that no late Bf 109 bar the G14 can turn with you, no Fw 190 bar the D9s are remotely as fast as you or can climb with you and no plane has as nice high speed handling and such a sweet gunsight. Most fights end up near the deck and this is where the Tempest V is superb. Its initial climb rate is right up there with the best of 44/45, meaning that it is not the lame duck I am reading here. I seem to remember a running dogfight where me and IceFire shot down about 5/6 enemy planes (Fw 190 D9s and Bf 109 K4s) in a low level furball and that was with engine damage on my part. We were chased all the home from deep within enemy lines by at least 4 bandits at a time. We would have made it back to base but we collided with each other just when the cavalry arrived.

I cruise at 570 km/h sea level now thats fast, infact thats faster than most 44 planes top speed at sea level. If you cruise at its best power band around 2500m and fight beneath that diving down on opponents you will be the fastest prop plane in the planeset so long as you have reduced prop pitch. At 100% pitch it wont accelerate in a dive but that might be something to do with the HUGE propellor ! Reduce to around 70%/60% and you can catch Arados and Me 262s - let alone Do 335s or Fw 190 D9s.

Therion_Prime
05-21-2007, 06:41 AM

Speed is your only hope.

WTF? Are you a troll, mister?

VW-IceFire
05-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Turn is actually pretty good...within reason. Thats why I mentioned that you want to keep your speed up because as long as you have allot of speed you can draw bead on most fighters. What the Tempest does not do well is a sustained turn. But a sharp turn to gain the necessary angle on a evasive 109 is extremely doable and should not be confused with sustained turn rate. Rather the instant turn rate is what is excellent in the Tempest.

Spitfires online are no more dangerous to the Tempest than the mid year 109s. The most dangerous foes you can face in a Tempest is the FW190D-9, P-51 Mustang, and the Ki-84 all of which are somewhat similar to the Tempest. The planes that require different tactics the Tempest can beat quite readily as long as you play to its strengths and not theirs (i.e. 109s and Spitfires with good low speed sustained turns). On the contrary to PRAETORIVS is implying, the Tempest is extremely competitive online, probably one of the best fighters you can fly (although not perfect - no fighter is) and in fact matches the historical description and performance figures of the fighter extremely well. Its not the fastest of the Tempest models and in reality we should have a slightly better model than we do but the differences to the average player are somewhat small. Enjoy it for what it is.

crucislancer
05-21-2007, 09:46 AM
From what little I've flown in the Tempest, IceFire's description rings true. Playing a mission against 190s the other day, I passed them at high speed, performed a tight quick turn, and was able to shoot down 2 of them with ease. The Hispanos really helped with that, but I was manuverable enough to stay on their 6 most of the time.

Seems to me PRAETORVIS might need to spend a little more time with it.

Philipscdrw
05-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Who cares how it flies? Just look at the pretty pretty cockpit and be glad. Tear the wings off while taking off so you can admire the damage modelling of the wings! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I <3 the Tempest.

london17m
05-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Philipscdrw:
Just look at the pretty pretty cockpit and be glad.

I <3 the Tempest.
so true, it is the best looking cockpit in the sim

wasn't the tempest used more as a fighter bomber than a (for want of a better word) dogfighter

mynameisroland
05-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by london17m:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Philipscdrw:

I <3 the Tempest.

wasn't the tempest used more as a fighter bomber than a (for want of a better word) dogfighter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No

ploughman
05-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Always good to see more Tiffie tips. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Philipscdrw
05-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by london17m:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Philipscdrw:

I <3 the Tempest.

wasn't the tempest used more as a fighter bomber than a (for want of a better word) dogfighter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Typhoon was used as a fighter-bomber, but only because it was a rubbish interceptor. The Hurricane, Typhoon, and Tempest, all designed by Sydney Camm of Hawker, were all intended to be interceptors/fighters for the RAF. The Typhoon's thick wing made it a rubbish high-altitude performer, but by a fortunate coincidence it could be usefully used as a fighter-bomber. If more had been known about wings when the Typhoon was designed, and they'd made a better wing, it would have been a Hurricane successor, another high-altitude, high-speed interceptor/fighter.

The Tempest was mainly used as a fighter. Although it could carry rockets - the tests were carried out in the UK, the aircraft was allowed to carry them - the squadrons were never equipped with them. Some squadrons never used bombs even, and would attack ground targets with the cannons only.

PRAETORIVS
05-21-2007, 11:22 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
No, I'm not a troll. Just someone disappointed by the aircraft model in this case.

You are speaking of versus AI. I can cream AI in most anything.
When flying Red in Late War maps 9 times out of 10 you'll find me in a "Tempest V". Human opposition is more dangerous than AI I have discovered. On-line, if you're on the deck in a "Tempest V" you will soon be KIA if you stay there. It is a tough ship to operate and RTB safely. Even after learning how to manage the Prop Pitch and Super Charger correctly so that I could get the best speeds and keep the engine from over-heating constantly I consistently have problems trying to out-run anything if my Energy state was not superior .... which if I was caught on the deck after a pass at some bottom-feeder I won't have.

Like I said: It can make one, single really good turn. To do it requires a careful balance of rudder with the ailerons and elevators at speeds between 350 and 450 KPH. However, after the turn is complete you will have lost your energy and are a sitting duck. If it's a Spit or Oleg's Wonder Machine you are done if the opposing pilot has any idea how to fly his aircraft .... or didn't black-out.

One trick that works against Oleg's Wonder Machine is to exploit it's version of Kryptonite: Speed. The La cannot take high speeds as well as Tempests ... but this only works if you have enough air between yourself and the ground. The tactic is to dive with the throttle wide open straight at the ground.

If the La pilot is not a newb he will break-off and you can escape.
If he is a newb then you will get to watch him disintegrate behind you. Which is, of course, always a delightful sight.

However, once you have exceeded 700 KPH do not move the controls quickly .... no sudden movements! Your wing will detach if you do, and this is bad. As the ground is rushing toward you you need to think ahead and pull very gently back in a timely manner ... or else...

Against 109's there is a weakness that can be exploited due to the way Oleg modeled it. This also requires you to have been at some altitude at the beginning of the encounter, though.

Oleg modelled the 109 as though it were being flown by one-armed 90-pound weakling with four broken fingers. It's controls virtually freeze at high speeds.

Dive and force the 109 to hit high speeds, then once he is about 600m away pull up into a vertical climb, then roll in the opposite direction. The 109 will come squibbing out from under you and you will be on his 6.

Things that work against AI will not work against most human pilots. Even human pilots in Tempests I have attacked have not been able to get me off of their 6 when I'm in a 190A-9 with Mk-108's out-board nor could they catch me when I ran when they were on my 6, and they weren't newbs each time.

I have been successful in the "Tempest V" (or Temphoon as I often call it), but only by being careful to fly it within a tight envelope.

Korolov1986
05-21-2007, 11:48 AM
PRAETORIVS - You clearly haven't flown a P-38 in a late war arcade server.

The Tempest is like a P-47 with cannons and a better roll rate - minus the altitude performance.

It's an excellent aircraft, and it's advantages do not come readily in a fast-food arcade server.

mynameisroland
05-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Just for the record I only fly online (apart from things like Speed testing) and I disagree with most of your points.

To me it sounds like you fly with 100% pitch and radiators open and thats why you are slow. Just my take on what you have written because it is at odds with my own experience and that of Ice Fires and also I bet Brain32's. In my and Brain's opinion I would go as far as to say the Tempest is almost overpowering at low altitude

Brain32
05-21-2007, 12:06 PM
I only faced German planes in a Tempest and while FW190A and ME109's are in a clay pigeon territory the only German plane I respect is the FW190D9 and only at mid-high altitudes.
As for the turn, instantenuos is simply awsome as it should be, but sustained especially at low speeds is to everything I ever found on Tempest even too good, ofcourse you can't just yank it to he11 and back at any E-state like in a Spit or Lafka, you have to plan it a bit...

EiZ0N
05-21-2007, 12:14 PM
So, 100% pp for climb, 50% for run?

Anything else I should know?

When running I always left it at 100% pp before, perhaps this is why planes could catch me in my Tempest...

Brain32
05-21-2007, 12:18 PM
I never drop PP below 90% in normal conditions, at 90% in a dive RPM will not fall too low, or rise too high it will stay at 3700RPM. The only time I reduce it to lower than 90 is during cooling periods after prolonged full power runs/climbs. Close the rads in a dive, it's important.

mynameisroland
05-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Brain I cruise at 70% pitch with WEP on rads closed. It gives a speed of 570 km/h TAS when trimmed out at sea level. If the fight is descending I keep that PPitch because it seems to help the Tempest pick up speed in a dive better. In a climbing or a hard turning series of manuvers I increase pitch to 100%. I open rads to cool.

PRAETORIVS
05-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah, 334th_Dedicated allows wonder-woman views ... which I hate, BTW. Really, if we were a full-pit server the Spit and La would not be so lethal. The problem with WW View is that it makes the aircraft a much greater factor, so that it becomes the plane, not the pilot that is the decisive factor. However, that is one of the factors that keeps the server popular (you'll usually find it one the most occupied servers on HL), the others being that the Admins enforce the rules and good dogfight maps.

Well, you might disagree but those have been my experiences on-line flying the Tempest. Anytime I have attempted to turn fight in it I get killed quickly, success has come from abandoning attempts to turn fight and going pure B&Z with it while keeping an eye out for anyone with more altutude. I have never had success out-running anyone with equal energy, radiators open or closed or in-between at any prop-pitch, WEP or no WEP. Believe me, I have experimented while being chased by Spits, FW's, 109's, Oleg's Wonder Machine ET ALII and the result is always the same. I did once, however, employing a complex maneuver cause a very dangerous on-line pilot flying a Bf-109 to stall and crash behind me .... but I surprised him with it. That same sequence of maneuvers has not worked consistently on other pilots (and, it is a dangerous move in a Tempest. 2 sorties previous I tried it against a Spit and pulled a little too hard and stalled and crashed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif where-upon I got accused of intentionally crashing to avoid getting killed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif. The move had worked flawlessly the day day before while flying a J2M3 when I came under attack by a Ki-84 .... except that the Ki stalled and crashed trying to stay with me when I had intended to force him to over-shoot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif, but I figure if it kept me alive then at least it did some good, it was just a matter of learning how to do it in the Tempest the next day).

80 to 100% in the climb.

Not 50%, I start loosing speed at that pitch.

55 to 65% in level flight or during a dive. If you set it on a hat switch it bumps in 5% increments rather than the 10% increments of the keyboard. On my X-52 I have it on the bottom hat switch on the stick and I nudge it up and down with my thumb. If you can't do that, then use 60% Prop-pitch for best level and diving speeds. However, I have begun to notice better speeds at 55% pitch, so if you can get that percentage use that. The higher prop-pitch settings will cause over-heat in level flight because the prop RPM's will get too high, so stay below 70% after the climb is over.
If you close radiator with WEP engaged you will over-heat rapidly at any prop-pitch.

Full-pit I don't think I'd even fly the Tempest because I cannot see anything going on behind me due to the limitations of the game. That armor-plate, so useful in real life is a killer in this game. Since, evidently, the ability of a human to lean to one side and look around the armor plate cannot be replicated in the game and the designers and modellers will not proportionalize things like armor-shields aircraft like the Tempest have to constantly fly in a series of S turns rolling from side to side to keep an eye on their back-sides. The same would apply to P-39's from the Q to the P-63. It unnerves me being so blind to my rear. Since they cannot incorporate a lean feature they really should have made such things smaller from inside the cockpit, because the real-life Tempest pilot had an excellent view of the airspace around him.

crucislancer
05-21-2007, 02:01 PM
If you set it on a hat switch it bumps in 5% increments rather than the 10% increments of the keyboard. On my X-52 I have it on the bottom hat switch on the stick and I nudge it up and down with my thumb. If you can't do that, then use 60% Prop-pitch for best level and diving speeds.

What kind of keyboard do you have? I have no problem getting 5% increments with the Prop Pitch assigned to Insert and Delete.

ploughman
05-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Yes, the increase/decrease prop pitch key map seems to me to be in 5% increments. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Vigourous Prop pitch management seems to be the key to the Tiffie. I'd been fiddling between 80-100% PP with WEP and no rads but am finding that a larger range than that, and taking care to increase revs in the climb and hold them back in the dive, is really paying dividends. Once again, thanks for the tips guys.

PRAETORIVS
05-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Ah-ha, then the right-left bump on my hat switch produces the same result as a similar bump setting on the keyboard. The other prop-pitch setting I was aware of was to use the numbers row, which works in 10% increments. It would seem, then, that he should have no problem using 5% pitch increments in any case.

EiZ0N
05-21-2007, 02:54 PM
I might assign prop pitch to my mouse-wheel.

I need more buttons on my damn joystick, that's for sure.

I have 5 buttons inc. trigger on the top, and an 8way hat, and 4 on the base of the stick, and I find it's not enough.

Hat is all used up on views, 4 buttons on weapons and one on gear. two on base for flaps, another for view, leaving one spare in an awkward position.

Also, does anyone find that hitting the 'corners' of the 8 way hat are difficult? I can't get to them without accidentally pressing another of the hat buttons.

Going a bit OT here.

stathem
05-21-2007, 03:00 PM
X-52 - PP on the slider, has to be done. You don't need it for flaps, really you don't. If you need flaps you've already lost.

Rads on the ministick. Helped me immensely.

Philipscdrw
05-21-2007, 04:05 PM
I think I heard that the guy who made the Tempest cockpit was 'suprised' when he saw where 1C had put the pilot's point-of-view. He was planning on the gunsight view being further forward I think.

(Last-minute change for 4.09? perhaps? or p'raps not.)

One advantage of using a CH yoke for Il-2 is that you get a gazillion throttle levers to give to your pitch and trim. I could use the hat-switch for trim but it's easier to use my right hand on the pitch lever than on the right yoke handle.

Edit: Praetorius, I really think you'd find the Tempest much more enjoyable on a closed-pits server. It's a blast on WarClouds. And I read yesterday that, because it's relatively fast, there's less chance of someone sneaking up behind you because it's harder for them to catch up. The view forwards and sideways and upwards is superb, especially around the gunsight, and if you're careful you can work around the obtrusive armourplate. Flying a Tempest against a La-7 is craaazy...

BfHeFwMe
05-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Take another look at the set up of the throttle quadrant. The pitch lever and throttle are designed to work together with one hand during combat maneuvering.

This bird has one heck of a power plant, raw power, and a huge prop by anyones standards. You're fighting severe gyroscopic forces trying to force that bird around stably in high G full power sustained turns.

Try backing off power a bit, let the speed stabilize where you need it, throttle back up for max power and use the pitch controller to turn fight.

You will out turn any 109 at all but the slowest stall speeds. So keep the fight fast, he'll try to slow it to advantage, don't take the hook. Power zoom above him for a new tactical positioning advantage.

Far as 190's, catch and exterminate with extreme prejudice. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Therion_Prime
05-22-2007, 04:13 AM
As for what proppitch is to be used when:

I fly the Tempest (or any other plane) like I drive my car with manual transmission: by listening to the engine RPMs. Once you get used to the sound of the optimum RPMs you don't need to look at the instruments anymore. You fly "by ear" and switch gears (PP or RPM in our case)accordingly. (Ok, if you like to listen to loud heavy metal music - like I do in my car - you need to glance at the RPM gauge once in a while http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Just keep an eye on the Oil temperature, the Tempests engine will overheat just a tad above 120?, so adjust PP to a reasonable RPM always (read: cool the engine with PP and not with the radiator). If you can hear the Tempest's engine making "howling" noises (=insanely high RPMs), then you are doing something wrong.
Also, after an extended zoomclimb be aware of the RPMs skyrocketing near stallspeed and cut back PP to a reasonable value again.
With some practice, PP adjustment is done automaticly and your engine will not overheat.

Usually I use something like this in the Tempest:

Cruise: 85%Throttle, 70-85%PP
Climb: 85-110%Throttle, 80-90%PP
Dive: Trottle as needed, 60-75% PP

Of course these settings depend on ones speed and current RPM.
WEP always ON and radiator always CLOSED!

stathem
05-22-2007, 04:54 AM
Personally, flying on closed pit, no exes server (ie Warclouds), I like to fly it at 20,000 with a hard deck at about 9000, (or second blower stage height).

That's because, with the lack of rear view, I find it a bit of deathtrap tarting around on the deck. (unless you have some folk on comms in contact with you)

But up high you can cruise deep inside the lines with the nose trimmed down a little and search for people to bounce at about 12-16K. You can also happily e-fight anything, even a dora, at these altitudes, and you're much less likely to get bounced. The slower pace of fights up there mean that the rearview disadvantage is reduced. And if you are bounced, you can use the maximum speed defence against a enemy that has good position and altitude advantage. Going in a fairly shallow dive you can be over your own base in no time from a very long way away. And if your oppo has followed you all the way there, it probably indicates that he's not too experienced, is now in a similar energy state, and therefore you've a good chance of beating him.

DKoor
05-22-2007, 09:52 AM

Speed is your only hope.

Despite all that the "Tempest V" is still my 3rd most flown type and I have had success in it. It does best if you make sure you are no lower than 3,000m when you enter the likely combat area .... higher is even better. We are talking about aircraft that is considerably superior in speed than Spitfire.

It has 4 cannons.

It's speed surpasses all 109 speeds on deck and it outturns all 190s.

It has the best forward view and probably the the best gunsite all around (P-38 is close in regards of gunsight quality/visibility)

It retains energy/accelerates above average, and can fight any 190 up to 3k on more than equal grounds.

Some of these facts can be put to a good use in game http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Stick with it P, you'll learn fast to appreciate Tempests good sides and advantages big time.

Xiolablu3
05-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by mynameisroland:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PRAETORIVS:

Speed is your only hope.

Man reading your post you make it out that the Tempest V is barely competitive! I guess the plane I fly that can run away/chase down Fw 190D9s, out turn Bf 109s and out shoot both of them must be a hack version of the plane.

My findings are that no late Bf 109 bar the G14 can turn with you, no Fw 190 bar the D9s are remotely as fast as you or can climb with you and no plane has as nice high speed handling and such a sweet gunsight. Most fights end up near the deck and this is where the Tempest V is superb. Its initial climb rate is right up there with the best of 44/45, meaning that it is not the lame duck I am reading here. I seem to remember a running dogfight where me and IceFire shot down about 5/6 enemy planes (Fw 190 D9s and Bf 109 K4s) in a low level furball and that was with engine damage on my part. We were chased all the home from deep within enemy lines by at least 4 bandits at a time. We would have made it back to base but we collided with each other just when the cavalry arrived.

I cruise at 570 km/h sea level now thats fast, infact thats faster than most 44 planes top speed at sea level. If you cruise at its best power band around 2500m and fight beneath that diving down on opponents you will be the fastest prop plane in the planeset so long as you have reduced prop pitch. At 100% pitch it wont accelerate in a dive but that might be something to do with the HUGE propellor ! Reduce to around 70%/60% and you can catch Arados and Me 262s - let alone Do 335s or Fw 190 D9s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I htink the reason for this is that he is flying on Arcade servers. I gather this because he is talking about fighting Spitfires.

Forget these servers and get on Historical scenario servers like Winds OF War and Ukded2/3, Spits vs 109's, even Warclouds. You will see the Tempest come into its own when fighting in its historical correct place, alongside Spitfires.

I could be wrong about the server of course, if so I apologise.

IMO the Tempest is modelled extremely well, possibly its turn is slightly too good and its overheat is too much. Also it would be better to have the more numerous, more powerful model than the one we have.

WHat exactly do you think is wrong with it PRATORVIS? I must say that if you are trying to compare it to the real thing while flying arcadey dogfight servers with big arrows/no cockpit/ externals and no ground targets, then you are really not seeing it in its true environment.

I am not ****ging off those servers, they can be fun, but only as a real arcade game, just saying that you must put the Tempest in a more realistic environment if you want to see it shine. FInd a server with Allied vs Axis and ground targets for each side. You will instantly see how well the Tempest fares in this scenario. The arcadey dogfight servers are best suited to the very light turnfighters such as the La7/Spitfire 25lbs/109K4/Yak3 etc.

PRATORVIS - Boemher/Roland is an admin over at a great bunch of servers called UKdedicated. I personlally like Ukded2, it has hard settings but with externals (and therefore unfortunatley padlock) on, . It uses Historical matchups and planesets. Ukded1 is the same settings you are used to on 334ths but with Historical maps and planesets. UK3 is full real. Stop by Ukded2 one night for a game, you will see another side to the Tempest in its real environment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif If you really want to play pit off/icons etc then go to Ukded1, but I strongly recommend Ukded2, pit-on far increases the immersion factor compared to pit-off. Wing up with someone good and watch his tactics. Kill stealing rules are a bit different to 334th, so be careful, fly with honour and you will be OK. Be prepared to be accused a few times until you understand the rules. Apologise when you get it wrong, and ask questions, you will soon understand - its more teamwork - less arcade. AFter going from 334th to Ukded, I stole a few kills at first without realising I was doing anything wrong, until Icefire explained things to me. Thx mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif