PDA

View Full Version : 2 games controllers changes life

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 09:23 AM
I'd like to share this experience with other players.
After I've read some old post about using 2 game controllers in tech forum, I tried to do it yesterday by adding a second game controller in conjunction with my FFB Sidewinder.
I used an old MS Freestyle USB...really, it changes life !
It's quite simple to configure. Even if Freestyle gets ID1 and FFB gets ID2 by Windows XP, you can assign commands directly through commands panel in the game.
For some buttons it's a little harder (it was for me...) and you have to hardcode it by editing settings.ini and assign the keys.
The most difficult for me was to keep snapviews and panviews to the FFB's hatswitch because the game gives a strange number to that function.
It's something like Pov45 JoystickPov4=Snap_1_0 . Why number 4 for the hatswitch of FFB wich gets ID1. I don't know...

Anyway, now it works perfectly and I get a kind of hotas...just for free
...and keeping the force feedback without wich the game is not the same.

For example, I assigned trim to Freestyle's wheel (AXE_U JoystickDevice0=-trimelevator).
Only with this, you gain much more precise control on the plane, you gain or loose more/less energy because time for reaction is shorter than if you have to find buttons on the keyboard.

Really, I appreciate much more the changes introduced by the patch.
I was a little bit disappointed with + (gains for some planes, FW190, Hurri, P40, AAA, front fight...)
but also - (109's, crashes smokes, FPS)

BUT NOW IT'S GREAT...DON'T HESITATE TO TRY IT IF YOU HAVE AN OLD UNUSED GAME CONTROLLER...

By the way, I'm sorry for my poor english. I'm Belgian, french speaking...and I live in Li├┬Ęge,
a town just on the north border of the new map. We've all seen it, with Bastogne.
So you can understand how I'am impatient to play this campaign...

Hurry, Oleg, Hurry...

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 09:23 AM
I'd like to share this experience with other players.
After I've read some old post about using 2 game controllers in tech forum, I tried to do it yesterday by adding a second game controller in conjunction with my FFB Sidewinder.
I used an old MS Freestyle USB...really, it changes life !
It's quite simple to configure. Even if Freestyle gets ID1 and FFB gets ID2 by Windows XP, you can assign commands directly through commands panel in the game.
For some buttons it's a little harder (it was for me...) and you have to hardcode it by editing settings.ini and assign the keys.
The most difficult for me was to keep snapviews and panviews to the FFB's hatswitch because the game gives a strange number to that function.
It's something like Pov45 JoystickPov4=Snap_1_0 . Why number 4 for the hatswitch of FFB wich gets ID1. I don't know...

Anyway, now it works perfectly and I get a kind of hotas...just for free
...and keeping the force feedback without wich the game is not the same.

For example, I assigned trim to Freestyle's wheel (AXE_U JoystickDevice0=-trimelevator).
Only with this, you gain much more precise control on the plane, you gain or loose more/less energy because time for reaction is shorter than if you have to find buttons on the keyboard.

Really, I appreciate much more the changes introduced by the patch.
I was a little bit disappointed with + (gains for some planes, FW190, Hurri, P40, AAA, front fight...)
but also - (109's, crashes smokes, FPS)

BUT NOW IT'S GREAT...DON'T HESITATE TO TRY IT IF YOU HAVE AN OLD UNUSED GAME CONTROLLER...

By the way, I'm sorry for my poor english. I'm Belgian, french speaking...and I live in Li├┬Ęge,
a town just on the north border of the new map. We've all seen it, with Bastogne.
So you can understand how I'am impatient to play this campaign...

Hurry, Oleg, Hurry...

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 09:45 AM
And even better way to get better control it to buy a HOTAS. The Cougar if you have the cash, or the X-45 if you're on a budget.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 09:47 AM
-
-
- By the way, I'm sorry for my poor english. I'm
- Belgian, french speaking...and I live in Li├┬Ęge,
- a town just on the north border of the new map.
- We've all seen it, with Bastogne.
- So you can understand how I'am impatient to play
- this campaign...
-
- Hurry, Oleg, Hurry...
-
-

I'm slighty northeast of you. and boy do I know how you feel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a crappy pilot, but one hell of a shot.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 10:18 AM
loke1169th wrote:
- And even better way to get better control it to buy
- a HOTAS. The Cougar if you have the cash, or the
- X-45 if you're on a budget.
-
-
Ah, but he wanted forcefeedback, as I do; I'm under the impression that neither of those HOTAS sticks provide FF. Or am I wrong? again /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Kernow
249 IAP

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Kernow wrote:
-
- loke1169th wrote:
-- And even better way to get better control it to buy
-- a HOTAS. The Cougar if you have the cash, or the
-- X-45 if you're on a budget.
--
--
- Ah, but he wanted forcefeedback, as I do; I'm under
- the impression that neither of those HOTAS sticks
- provide FF. Or am I wrong? again /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
-
-
-
-
- Kernow
- 249 IAP
-

Add the X45/ch throttle to your existing ffb stick and get the best of both worlds!
I use MSFFB2 as main stick, X45 as throttle (stick is a button bay) and CH Pro USB rudder pedals.
I still fly like crap though but it's much more enjoyable /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Absolutely!!!!

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 12:47 PM
I may have the craziest combo..

Curently using:

1 x MS FF-enabled SW 2

2 x CH "normal" joysticks (1 for throttle + 1 for prop pitch, so I am only using two axis but I do get to use 4 extra buttons this way)

1 x MS FF-enabled Wheel (using only the pedals)

Plus the camera (using cam2pan) for views control; works very well and is cheaper than Track IR.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 12:55 PM
B16Enk wrote:
-
- Add the X45/ch throttle to your existing ffb stick
- and get the best of both worlds!
- I use MSFFB2 as main stick, X45 as throttle (stick
- is a button bay) and CH Pro USB rudder pedals.

Now there's an idea. I could do with more buttons and sliders - then, you can never have enough, can you? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Kernow
249 IAP

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 02:02 PM
im currently using the X45 w/throttle and CH Pro USB rudders. and you just cant beat having all those buttons to play with, im almost keyboard free...../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_01.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 02:41 PM
wonder if u can have kbs /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
i got a cyborg 3d usb joystick, got it for 8quid
and for 8 quid its friggin awsome /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
10 buttons, 4 of which on top, throttle, twist = rudder left and right handed with surport braket, hotas buttony thingy i think too
usb aswell
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 03:20 PM
I use some pedals from an old T2 wheel set, with an old suncom stick carefully maintained. Its got a very nice throw and 2x4 way hats and up to 16 buttons with keyboard emulation which is very handy in FB, I also made a 3 lever throttle quad from 2 usb sticks so I have prop, throttle and elevator trim ( dont use trim cheat if it still exists) all on levers and the other bits of the stripped joysticks give me 2x8 way hats and eight more buttons I also use a track ball with my left hand, this combination is excellent in FB although TIR would be nice.

JG4_Tiger

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 04:07 PM
HOTAS cougar c/w elite rudder pedals:wcs2 throttle and pot wired into toe brakes on cougar as pitch/mixture quadrant:logitech wingman usb gutted for usb board, rudder trim on rudder axis,elev trim/flaps geared concentric (like 109) on elev/throttle axies-as joystick id1(win98se) to use in game profile on trim, buttons for engine management/gear:4 switches wired into gameport - lighting switches/drop tanks:track IR... very immersive.... and i'm probably certifiable!