PDA

View Full Version : Might have been posted before - He 111 takeoffs?

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 11:22 PM
I love flying the He 111, but it's a pig to get off the ground. Am I doing something wrong? Here's what happens:

1) Lock the tail wheel.
2) Flaps set to "take off".
3) Full throttle.
4) As soon as the tail lifts, the plane sort of yaws to the left despite full right rudder and stick hard over to the right.
5) Leave the ground a hair's-breadth away from the hangars.
6) Struggle like hell to catch up with the computer-controlled planes that took off in the conventional manner, i.e. lengthwise to the runway rather than crosswise.

I've got a 2-button, 2-axis joystick and keyboard control, so naturally there are some things I've had to omit (mixture, independent engine control, etc) but although I've recalibrated the stick several times, the Heinkel still has its own ideas about where it wants to go on the takeoff run. This only happens when I fly the 111, but I'm thinking that any further twin-engined models (where's that Whirly??) that turn up may do the same thing. If anyone can suggest a fix, a change of method, or anything that doesn't involve off-roading a Heinkel, I'd appreciate the heads-up.

Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 11:22 PM
I love flying the He 111, but it's a pig to get off the ground. Am I doing something wrong? Here's what happens:

1) Lock the tail wheel.
2) Flaps set to "take off".
3) Full throttle.
4) As soon as the tail lifts, the plane sort of yaws to the left despite full right rudder and stick hard over to the right.
5) Leave the ground a hair's-breadth away from the hangars.
6) Struggle like hell to catch up with the computer-controlled planes that took off in the conventional manner, i.e. lengthwise to the runway rather than crosswise.

I've got a 2-button, 2-axis joystick and keyboard control, so naturally there are some things I've had to omit (mixture, independent engine control, etc) but although I've recalibrated the stick several times, the Heinkel still has its own ideas about where it wants to go on the takeoff run. This only happens when I fly the 111, but I'm thinking that any further twin-engined models (where's that Whirly??) that turn up may do the same thing. If anyone can suggest a fix, a change of method, or anything that doesn't involve off-roading a Heinkel, I'd appreciate the heads-up.

Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 11:25 PM
The yawing is strange. I can only suggest to make sure both engines are at full power.

As for flaps, you don't need them. I'd suggest accelerating to 200km/h without flaps, then lifting off gently.

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 11:27 PM
Do you have seperate engine start enabled in the difficulty settings? If so, are you sure both your engines are selected when you throttle up? Watch the RPM gauges and match sure they are synchronized as you move the throttle.

The easiest way to start the He-111 with seperate engine start is to select engine 1 and start it, then select engine 2 and start it, now press the key for "select all engines" and you should be ready to go.

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Heres my botched take off procedure that works for me -

1) Set yourself keys for select engine 1, select engine 2, select all engines, and the wheelbrakes ( if you havnt already )

2) get into game - select each engine in turn and start em up, so both are singing along.

3) decide which way you are going to taxi, if going left, select engine 2 and give her some revs,and rudder left which will turn her left. Select engine 1 if you need to turn right, revs up and rudder right.

4) when straight on the taxi way, select both engines and use some rudder to keep her straight.

5) if you need to do a sharp turn, apply the wheel brakes as you do, keep the revs up and she will almost pirouette around - if too much drop the revs to slow the turn

6) once on the main runway, line her up, select 'all engines' , flaps to take off, and away you go, using the rudder to keep her straight

7) once airborne, retract the landing gear, then flaps to combat, then retracted and you should be away

Probably a load of arse to some but it works for me

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Since I'm restricted to the keyboard and a non-programmable joystick there are quite a few things I've had to sacrifice, with separate engine start being among them. I just don't have the available keys. The bombsight, the fire extinguisher and the tailwheel lock take up the remaining spares, so I'm running a very basic, almost arcade, setup here. Funny thing is that I've only noticed this since I installed the v1.11 patch. I don't know if this is related? (I doubt it, though. Something like this would have shown up during pre-release testing.) I haven't tried the TB-3 since I installed the patch, though. I'll have to check that out and report back. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 11:42 PM
I still use keyboard keys for the engine gizmos, just that Ive got a stick with a twist rudder and a small throttle ( Saitek Cyborg USB ) - it;s probabluy programmable but I'm lost with that - my setup is probaly arcade like the same as yours, I havnt got a clue how to use the 111 bombsight and generally get shot down within minutes, but hey, it;s still fun /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 12:56 AM
I'm no expert but heres what I did ... I use;

Ctrl + 1 to select engine 1

Ctrl + 2 for engine 2 etc

I use Q key to select all engines.

J to increase mixture

N to decrease mixture

Shift + 1,2,3,4 already programed for Prop Pitch, I added

Shift + 5 Decrease Prop Pitch

Shift + 6 Increase Prop Pitch

This works for me, as for taking off I line up on the main runway, taxing using brakes and sometimes engines to turn and use all of the runway to get a fully loaded bomber in the air, my flaps set to take off, I have a twist rudder on my joystick to counter yaw on take off, I've never used my keyboard to control the rudder which may be your problem.

Be Happy ... Ya Sook.

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 06:53 PM
MosquitoFB wrote:
- I love flying the He 111, but it's a pig to get off
- the ground. Am I doing something wrong? Here's
- what happens:
-
- 1) Lock the tail wheel.
- 2) Flaps set to "take off".
- 3) Full throttle.
- 4) As soon as the tail lifts, the plane sort of yaws
- to the left despite full right rudder and stick hard
- over to the right.
- 5) Leave the ground a hair's-breadth away from the
- hangars.
- 6) Struggle like hell to catch up with the
- computer-controlled planes that took off in the
- conventional manner, i.e. lengthwise to the runway
- rather than crosswise.
-
- I've got a 2-button, 2-axis joystick and keyboard
- control, so naturally there are some things I've had
- to omit (mixture, independent engine control, etc)
- but although I've recalibrated the stick several
- times, the Heinkel still has its own ideas about
- where it wants to go on the takeoff run. This only
- happens when I fly the 111, but I'm thinking that
- any further twin-engined models (where's that
- Whirly??) that turn up may do the same thing. If
- anyone can suggest a fix, a change of method, or
- anything that doesn't involve off-roading a Heinkel,
- I'd appreciate the heads-up.
-
- Thanks.
-
-
-
-I have the exact same problem, After about 5-10 seconds the whole plane jerks to the left & no amout of rudder can help & YES i do have both engines running at the same power & RPMs & YES the tail wheel is locked & still i'm weaving to avoid parked planes & hangers, I also have this problem with the Stuka although not as bad, Thing is with the Stuka the less bombs i carry the easier it is to control the YAW to the left, Strange?

"An attack against a unit of Flying Fortresses was something like controlled suicide...Sometimes 50, Sometimes 80 machine guns were firing at you... You attempted to close your eyes & continue to fire, Frightened to death, Frightened to death."

Oberst Johannes Steinhoff (176 kills)

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 07:10 PM
ok, I've got a similar setup to you, but I've got some functions mapped to alt and ctrl keys too.

Make sure you have both engines running smooth and even...check the rev counters if need be.

Using no more than 20% power, taxi slowly to the runway, line up, then brake and drop power to 5%...stop.

Ease power to 70-80%, then release brakes, start rolling down the runway. Kick the rudder occasionally to correct yaw.

Push power to max, then when you reach about 100kph, push the stick forward a little to lift the tail. Once clear, hit flaps to "combat", then "takeoff" a few seconds later.

Smile as she lifts off gracefully, remember to retract landing gear, and set flaps to "raised".

I'd suggest practicing on external view at half speed at first just to get the feel of it, then switch to full speed, then from the internal view. Learn to "crawl" first.

If I get massive yawing, it means I've accelerated too fast, the flaps are down too early, or one engine is running faster than the other. Hope this all helps. Let us all know how you go.

cheers,
Tony
(flying as "wombat" on HL)

< !--image map -->
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~tonybirchill/sig.jpg
<map name="main">
<area shape="rect" coords="0,0,200,54" href="http://www.il2airracing.com/" alt="Il2 online air racing">
<area shape="rect" coords="200,0,400,54" href="http://pub82.ezboard.com/b1ejava" alt="skinners heaven">
</map>

oh yeah, and I'm a Whirlwind whiner too /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 06:43 PM
I could be wrong but i think it's Wind & Turbulence that causes the 111 to veer off to the left dring takeoff, I started 2 more 111 campaigns the first i chose no Torque effects in the difficulty & the 111 still pulled to the left the other campaign i chose no Wind & Turbulence & the 111 did not pull the left at all, I tried a few missions to be sure & all were perfect takeoffs, i went back to my original campaign (with Wind & Turbulence) & it pulled to the left.

"An attack against a unit of Flying Fortresses was something like controlled suicide...Sometimes 50, Sometimes 80 machine guns were firing at you... You attempted to close your eyes & continue to fire, Frightened to death, Frightened to death."

Oberst Johannes Steinhoff (176 kills)

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 07:16 PM
If you review the FB (Main Menu) Training "film" for the He-111, it explains that the engines are not counter-rotating, hence the excessive yaw during take off. It also suggests to use rudder to compensate. During bombing runs, the second film suggests adjusting the throttle to one of the engines to compensate for this yaw.

--rob

<center>http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/images/mash_potter_anim.gif (http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/)</center>