PDA

View Full Version : Newb help - do you need to 'Lead' targets?

pbohart
05-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Does the targeting computer lead targets for you or do you need to do this manually?

(I am playing with auto-targeting)

When you lock on a target and enter the info in the targeting computer it appears to be factoring in the targets course and speed. But I often miss a target that is moving despite locking in on it.

Is this because the target is moving with erratic spead/course? Or, do I need to manually aim ahead of target?

Thanks!

W.Irving
05-10-2005, 10:03 AM
The computer is indeed leading the target. But as you suspect, the calculations are only valid if the target maintains its heading and speed while the torpedo is in the water.
You can manually lead the target by aiming your periscope.

I think the computer is also accurate in calculating the course for a torpedo heading for a ship that is constantly turning, as long as the ship does not alter its speed or rudder settings. Not sure though. If that is the case, then.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

vois2
05-10-2005, 11:48 AM
The auto TDC leads in the manner that Irving described above. Also as he describes, the bearing and distance displays are slaved to the periscope, so you can 'lead a little more' if you wish, by un(L)ocking from your target and scoping out ahead. This generally isn't necessary as the auto TDC is unfailingly accurate. Although, you may wish to hit the target a bit ahead of its center (which is where (L)ocking always assumes). The same is true if you want to aim for the props in the aft.

If you are missing targets by a bit, and you are using version 1.2 or later, don't forget to (Q)pen your torpedo tubes at least four seconds before firing the torp. (And preferably, a few minutes before!)

I am looking for people to multiplay with v1.3, so please email me or msg me if interested! Thanks!

UF_Excalibur_D
05-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Vois, I am a big MP person...what is 1.3 about then...jsut a beta version....Id be interested in testing if need be.

alanschu
05-10-2005, 01:32 PM
I don't think it adjusts for turning. When a ship is turning away from abeam (angle moving away from 90 degrees) I always find myself aiming to the back part of the ship, and it usually hits quite a bit in front.

Likewise, when a ship is approaching 90 degrees, I tend to lead it a bit more (depending on range and speed of torp of course) to ensure a solid hit in the middle.