PDA

View Full Version : Game Breaker

scourtney2
06-22-2005, 01:27 AM
I love simulations. I do. ESPECIALLY SUBMARINES! Be it WW2 or modern, the technical immersion and strategy greatly appeal to my tastes. I was one of those disdainfull souls who anticipated the release of SH3 from day 1 after playing the heart out of SH2. I even re-preorderd from Ubi and payed a king's ransom in shipping to get my recognition manual to the USA.

Now, I have stood by and watched SH3 take all sorts of flak from the community, complaining about missing features, lacking realism, blah blah blah, and I stood by SH3 with clenched teeth and insisted "SH3 is the BEST....SUB....SIM....EVER!!!" Now, I have finally come to the sad realization that I was only kidding myself.

Don't try to justify something that's wrong, that's what I allways say. Allow me to elaborate.

I sat down to play SH3 tonight, and found a disturbing event had occured. My entire campaign from day one of playing this game had been WIPED OUT! All 20+ patrols GONE! I was livid, but tried to smile it off, and started a new career from 1943. It was strange, because I still had my same crew, same fully promoted officers, petty officers and sailors, yet ALL their awards had been stripped. What was going on?

So I completed a few patrols to get some tonnage and renown, then wen't out to a movie with my friends. I returned tonight to continue my career, loaded up SH3 only to find that my new career has been completly blown away as well! Everything again is GONE!

Now, i sit here and have had an epiphany. I had much more enjoyment playing a modded SH2 than this buggy eye-candy of SH3. The immersion in the Das Boot modded SH2 of "Project Schwertfisch" (or whatever) as well as several realism mods and graphics mods made it MUCH more playable, challenging, immersing, and in my opinion, more realistic than SH3.

I'm not saying SH2 the holy grail of Sub Sims, but I hear the word "Masterpiece" thrown around a lot around here about SH3 and I just cannot agree. MANY great SH2 features are still missing. One only need to check one of the several hundred bug-threads to see lists of people's problems with this game.

The bugs have finally got me. I try to find convoys, but all i get are single merchants. BDU would be a great help, but all they can give me for intelligence is "keep up the good work!" Wolfpacks would be a great asset, but they have all taken sick I suppose. There are hundreds more issues, but I need not elaborate. Others have done it for me.

I used to be like many of you who will read this post, roll your eyes, and think I am an idiot, an "Un-true" simmer who just wants action and drama. I stood in your ranks for as long as I could, criticised people over posts like this very one just like you, and I too stood, eyes agape, just like you and searched for a comforting comment from a fellow member who believed the same things I did. I am now sick of people telling me how great SH3 is. It is not very good at all.

This game was rushed. It is unfinished. It is buggy, no matter how perfect "your system" is. I am not criticising the Devs, they did what they could....But that does not change the fact that this game is incomplete. If anyone argues that this game is complete, you are ignorant and in denial. That's the truth.

This sim lacks soul. It has no substance. This ultra attempt at accuracy and the build up of "Authenticity" propoganda from Ubi has left me bitter, burned out, and trashed. I cannot be immersed in such an attempt as this.

Overall, all this sim is was a "good try". It's not bad, but just a good try. That's all I can say. It simply has biffed on TOO many details, and sims are about details. Simmers are nitpickers and very scrutinizing. However, the errors in this game LEAP out at you, and that is a shame.

I was worried I would miss this game when I leave for The United States Naval Academy on Friday because I was absolutly ADDICTED to SH2. Now, I can say with confidence I will be relieved to dump this game. I have fallen out. All this "sim" can be is eye-candy, and that is a shame. I doubt such a good looking u-boat game will ever be made again, but I guess it's no great loss since we can allways turn back our clocks and return to the classics like AOD and modded SH2.

Here's another sailor signing off, and to hoping that one day, somebody will figure out a way to do it right.

Regards,
Scourtney2

Olebass
06-22-2005, 01:32 AM
Can I have your stuff?
Err wait wrong game..

I know what you mean, however some of the mods being worked on do have me excited and they seem to continue to release patches fixing most baseline problems( with exception to breaking some in the past one!).

Goodluck at the academy and maybe by time you really get a chance to play again the game will be in much better shape with some really exciting mods out there to enjoy it with.

scourtney2
06-22-2005, 01:44 AM
Thank you very much for your congrats! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I do hope they fix this game up right too. I'm not burned out on the genre, just SH3. I expected an instant flame post but it's nice to see people who know I'm not trolling, just voicing an honest opinion in a logical manner.

I just can't help but feel there is something overly wrong with this game. I can't allways put my finger on it, I can't allways explain it, but all the fudged details and minute problems (large issues aside) just add up to one giant mess.

doug.d
06-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Sad to see you go old son. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

If you haven't uninstalled SH3 yet, a wise SH3 player posted this awhile back and it may take away some of the bad taste in your mouth:

=>"My Documents"=>SH3=>patrols.cfg=>2nd line "number of patrols=0"=>change this number for your count of completed patrols, and your savegames will reappear

Thereafter, don't use the "save and exit" function until (hopefully) this is fixed in v1.4.

Personally, I could never get into SH2 but SH3 has me by the goolies http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif There are no bugs that I find to be seriously distracting and imho the game can be gr8ly enjoyed working around them and concentrating on the positive. I bought Dangerous Waters at the same time... its just gathering dust, no competition. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

jidisos_rias
06-22-2005, 07:01 AM
Scourtney2,
Grats on the exceptance into USNA. I am sorry that you found this game that disfuntional. I myself have gone back to 1.2 for many of the same reasons. Since then I hav had no probs. I am only running the crew fatigue mod. Everything running great. 25th patrol 1942 and finding 2-3 convoys per patrol. I know that some people really go all out for the mods as I did on FS2K, but I think that somtines less is more.
Try not to give up completely I myself am USN vet 4 active 5 reserve and find this to be a most enjoyable game (just wish there was a warp drive for the long partrols http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif).
Good Luck, "WOG"

diveplane
06-22-2005, 07:09 AM
lo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gifl bye then....