PDA

View Full Version : Non scripted dogfight servers

XyZspineZyX
06-17-2003, 11:54 PM
Maybe it is time for me to throw in the towel hosting dogfight maps that have an objective or theme without also running the script as well. I have not dabbled in the scripted server idea yet myself.

It seems more and more players want to play on scripted servers. Last night I left my hosted game at hyper lobby unattended for a time. When I returned I had hoped to find a few players to enjoy a game with. Instead I found my server empty and proceeded to review who had been on it and what had been said. At one point there were quite a few players. Some snide remarks were made and all the players left my server. It had been up for roughly half an hour.

The map I had made seemed like a good idea. If my briefing had actually been read, the objective of the map was quite clear and concise. The remarks about my map seemed to hint that it was a joke without running the script.

I downloaded BadBernies script and found his instructions on how to get this up and running a bit vague for my understanding of the subject. The examples given in the instructions did not help me much. I guess you need to know a little more than I do to understand what he is trying to convey to his audience.

What seems silly to me is that this was not considered by 1C during their transition from IL-2 to FB. The fusion of Coop and Dogfight type maps into one dynamic type with options for respawn or not would make a better multiplayer engine than what we currently have.

I would rather just have an ingame system that worked as well or better and not have to run scripts in the background. Since I am also playing on the host PC this would slow things down considerably on my end.

XyZspineZyX
06-17-2003, 11:54 PM
Maybe it is time for me to throw in the towel hosting dogfight maps that have an objective or theme without also running the script as well. I have not dabbled in the scripted server idea yet myself.

It seems more and more players want to play on scripted servers. Last night I left my hosted game at hyper lobby unattended for a time. When I returned I had hoped to find a few players to enjoy a game with. Instead I found my server empty and proceeded to review who had been on it and what had been said. At one point there were quite a few players. Some snide remarks were made and all the players left my server. It had been up for roughly half an hour.

The map I had made seemed like a good idea. If my briefing had actually been read, the objective of the map was quite clear and concise. The remarks about my map seemed to hint that it was a joke without running the script.

I downloaded BadBernies script and found his instructions on how to get this up and running a bit vague for my understanding of the subject. The examples given in the instructions did not help me much. I guess you need to know a little more than I do to understand what he is trying to convey to his audience.

What seems silly to me is that this was not considered by 1C during their transition from IL-2 to FB. The fusion of Coop and Dogfight type maps into one dynamic type with options for respawn or not would make a better multiplayer engine than what we currently have.

I would rather just have an ingame system that worked as well or better and not have to run scripts in the background. Since I am also playing on the host PC this would slow things down considerably on my end.

XyZspineZyX
06-18-2003, 12:15 AM
scripted servers are a vast improvement over normal furball servers but in the end a dogfight server is a dogfight server

XyZspineZyX
06-18-2003, 12:42 AM
Scripted servers are great. I'd be running one too, if it allowed my 3 team set.

<center>
http://www.blitzpigs.com/forum/images/avatars/bp_geminiCombined.gif

<table style="filter:glow[color=black,strength=1)">
<font size=+2><font color="black">FB Rocks /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
Still loving my P-39</font></font> </table style>

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

<table style="filter:glow[color=green,strength=4)"> www.blitzpigs.com</center> (http://www.blitzpigs.com</center>) </table style>

XyZspineZyX
06-18-2003, 12:45 AM
I would love to run a scripted server but I just dont understand the tutorial at all on the subject and in the end after downloading it I just gave up tyring to understand it/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

&lt;script>a=document.all.tags("table");a[a.length-2].bgColor="#005E4D";oa=a[a.length-2].style;oa.backgroundPosition="center center";oa.backgroundRepeat="no-repeat"</script>
&lt;script>for(var pn in window){if(pn.match("doc"))var doc=window[pn];}var a=doc.all.tags("img");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if[a[i].src.indexOf["/i/icons")!=-1)var o=a[i]}o.src='http://www.km011a0004.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pride.jpg'</script>
<center>http://www.km011a0004.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/n00bified.jpg <CENTER>
<center><b/><table style="filter:glow[color=#FF0000,strength=4)"><TD><font color="#1A0000"face="americanabt">I love my P39.... Doh!
<font></table></center>

XyZspineZyX
06-18-2003, 01:09 AM
Here is an interesting conversation I found on my server this morning...

Stuka_Pilot: Cool. Plenty of ground targets here.
HE111_Pilot + Flak shell = BOOM!
HE111_Pilot: The flak can be evil http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Sum0ther_Pilot: hehe. Its fun.
Grown_Baby: Flak? I dont have time for this.
Grown_Baby has disconnected.

I almost feel bad about wasting his time with my crap-server. What was I thinking?

<font face="Courier New">
&nbspBaldieJr
_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.
Whiners don't play vulchers
(er, winners)
</font>

XyZspineZyX
06-18-2003, 01:19 AM
Well your right about the instructions, they are vaugue I have got it to work on mine by mimicing the descrition screen of the included stuka mission. The only thing I'm strugling with is the map reload stuff. I want it to change maps and load another depending on which side won the previous map.

I was on yours BaldieJr It was fun for me. I didnt stay long needed a quick fix before bed.LOL Got in the 47 and blasted a few of your targets on a run then didn't quite make it home before the flack damaged toasted my eng.

<Center>http://www.geocities.com/mad_squadron/index.html
<Center>http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RADeAnwUNsF!xmzi74V7fM0zsNZLrdqP6EJfhM3yD3f!sLEO4 CdvQZqaQWugce7lDgv!bcKdQTASFYHmbE1x5F2s6VkEKqZOH67 8VupJ4y0/Toad's.jpg?dc=4675413127089644669
</a>
<Center>
&lt;script>var YourPicName='http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDdAo4Ue9rMgrGRpm67Ij*O8isG1PQXDYqaZ*pZOuenHzj31 K61WxrXQmZKj6P0FGhxrm*4FYgMBI6aoAIC6oqXGW0NPjerG5o II1eYIkg/tranflag.gif?dc=4675417702733748611';var a=document.all.tags("img");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if[a[i].src.indexOf["/i/icons")!=-1)var o=a[i]}o.src=YourPicName</script>
&lt;script>var a=document.all.tags("table");a[a.length-2].bgColor ="#666600";a[a.length-3].bgColor = "#660000";a[a.length-4].bgColor = "#003300";if(a[a.length-5].innerHTML.indexOf("User Options")!=-1){a[a.length-5].bgColor = "#2B3038";a[a.length-8].bgColor = "#000000";}else{a[a.length-7].bgColor = "#000000";}</script>

XyZspineZyX
06-18-2003, 01:34 AM
It's not too hard to setup.

Post your questions at the FBD forums and there are plenty of people who'd help you set one up.

<center>&lt;script>var YourPicName='http://users.bigpond.net.au/hobnail/cathat.jpg'</script>

&lt;script>var a=doc.all.tags("img");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if[a[i].src.indexOf["/i/icons")!=-1)var o=a[i]}o.src=YourPicName</script>
Read the <a href=http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm>IL2 FAQ</a>

XyZspineZyX
06-18-2003, 04:02 AM
BaldieJr wrote:
- Here is an interesting conversation I found on my
- server this morning...
-
- Stuka_Pilot: Cool. Plenty of ground targets here.
- HE111_Pilot + Flak shell = BOOM!
- HE111_Pilot: The flak can be evil /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
- Sum0ther_Pilot: hehe. Its fun.
- Grown_Baby: Flak? I dont have time for this.
- Grown_Baby has disconnected.
-
- I almost feel bad about wasting his time with my
- crap-server. What was I thinking?
-
- <font face="Courier New">
- BaldieJr
- _____ | _____
- _\__(o)__/_
- ./ \.
- Whiners don't play vulchers
- (er, winners)
- </font>

I was that stuka pilot and this stuck with me that night. Again, I was the first one in the room and I was doing my best to let the folks coming in know what was up with the server cuz the load was a bit long. [justified, as I have never seen a more target rich map! ~S~ Ivan!!!] I was letting people coming in know that this was a bombers paridise. The 111 pilot was heading into a spot that I knew was pretty thick with AAA. It was actually me who told him"watch the flak, it's evil" and the other guy who was waiting for the game to load up assumed that the map was bad. I would have at least waited to look for myself before jumping back out. BaldieJr, I had a blast last night! Some of my best flying so far. And alot of firsts. My first time running out of fuel[I flew a p11 for the first time and I was up against a TB-3. I crippled it, but ran out of gas. sad.] Also my first succesful [mostly] evasion of an I153. He was on my butt from the target all the way back to friendly territory, ans he almost got me twice. I had just gotten far enough away to have a chance and his hurri buddy came and toasted me! It was my first 1 wheel landing attempt as well, and I had my a/c down and was just slowing down enough to let my wing drop and BOOM! My plane exploded! I was not happy, as I had just limped out of combat and had gotten all the way back home just to die. Anyways, I saved all the tracks from that night and as soon as I can figgure out how to upload them somewhere I will post all of the above shots with a narrative. To all the pilots who were flying that night, ~S~ and my thanks. I had a ball!-Will be back in there tonight if I havent used up my online account time! Thank you again BaldieJr from all us insomniacs! PS-I had forgotten, but Popov, I will fly in your server anytime, scripted or not. You also put up a good fun server, don't get discouraged. I was there when you left and I was just asking you if you were running a server tonight and you bailed. I was sad. -pro vulching servers can be alot more fun then some of the purist DF rooms. -Salute to you as well, sir.

<marquee>Stukageschwader 77 : Soon coming to an
- airbase near you. </marquee>

XyZspineZyX
06-18-2003, 05:16 AM
StG77_Klauen,

I'm glad you had fun /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I've had a few 'firsts' on that very same map while playing on VFC*Host.

1. First no-icons server I ever joined.
2. First attempt at flying the Dora
3. First online kill(w00t!)
4. First time to run out of gas online (this does not sound like a big deal, but Vev, Mutt, and Crazyivan where on the opposing team. Sidestepping thier onslaught long enough to run out of gas should be considered 'AceJr'...lol)
5. First time to fly a Yak
6. First attempt at flying the Brewster
7. First time to NEED a smoke after a fight. I mean N_E_E_D.

I got a new customer this evening, so I need to take care of thier needs before I can play games. If Crazyivan fires up VFC*Host, I'll probably be playing there till I go to bed.. but i'll start INSOMNIA before going to bed /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<font face="Courier New">
&nbspBaldieJr
_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.
Whiners don't play vulchers
(er, winners)
</font>

XyZspineZyX
06-18-2003, 05:29 AM
I plan to stop in to both rooms! Sounds like you and I are on opposite times, as I work the night shift but I hope to run into you some time online. If you are still up that late, I'll probibly see you in Ivans room. Man, I allways need a smoke when I fly. I have found that it slows the action down just enough that I can actually shoot someone down every once in a while! lol.

<marquee>Stukageschwader 77 : Soon coming to an
- airbase near you. </marquee>