PDA

View Full Version : X-52 sensitivity

Wannabe-Pilot
05-31-2005, 03:19 AM
I recently bought Saitek X-52. Overall, I am well satisfied. One thing I can't figure out though, is how to set the sensitivity of the two rotaries and the precision slide on the throttle. I would like to use those for trim tabs, but they are so bloody sensitive that even a slight movement, a few milimeters results in massive trim changes. As a result I can't properly center the plane. I can't find a setting for those controls anywhere in the stick's software to decrease their sensitivity. IL-2 only allows sensitivity changes for pitch roll and yaw, so I can't do it ingame either. Any suggestions?

JunkoIfurita
05-31-2005, 03:58 AM
Hmmm, I don't know that there's a great deal you can do about it.

I've had an X52 for a while and also use the rotaries for my pitch and roll trim, so I know what you mean. But the sliders aren't *that* sensitive. Try them in another program for another function and you'll notice that they aren't quite so tweaky. (For my test I used the zoom function in Lomac, and the Trim function in Targetware).

The thing is, even though you can assign HOTAS axis in Pacific fighters for the trim, I think it still works in 'clicks' (as in the equivalent number of 'clicks' of the equivalent key on the keyboard). So while you might hit the trim key 2 or 3 times on the keyboard, the same measurement on a HOTAS axes is too small to manage with the hand - the smallest movement I can manage is 5 or 6 'clicks'.

That's why you can't adjust it in the hardware panel in-game, as I think it's more of an 'emulated' axis rather than the true axis like the x, y, z and u (throttle) axes.

But this is just educated speculation - if there's anyone out there with more informed info than me I'd be most happy to be proved wrong. But as far as I know, you can't solve the trim on rotary thing that easily.

One thing to note though, that if you're referring mostly to roll trim, note that often the reason that you 'go over the edge' and start rolling the other way is less to do with minute adjustments of the roll and more to do with your yaw (rudder) pitch needing to be corrected. Correct your yaw pitch first (so that the ball in the yaw indicator is centred during level flight), then adjust your roll pitch to compensate. It might be a bit more forgiving then. After all, I've been using my pitch trim on a rotary for a long time without any 'tweaky' issues. Great for dynamic trim changes.

----

CutterJohn
05-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Actually the sensitivity of the rotaries and other extra axes can in fact be set, and yes the rotaries work great for trim and don't simulate button presses.

Unfortunately you can't adjust them from he ingame interface where you adjust the stick axis.

To change rotaries and other non-standard axis: open the conf.ini file (which is in the main game directory) with a text editor. Search for the section entitled [rts_joystick]. In there you will see the numbers that you entered for your joystick sensitivities, you will also see lines for whatever extra axes you have. Just edit those by hand and voila you change that axis sensitivity just like you would in the game settings screen for the other axes.

JunkoIfurita
05-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Interesting news!

Thanks, CutterJohn, that'll no doubt come in handy.

----