PDA

View Full Version : Need help installing Lowengrin DGC

MiamiEagle
03-09-2005, 09:37 AM
I have bee trying to install the Lowengrin DGC program for a while. I have been unsuccesful so far. Can some help me on this matter. I will appreciate it very much.

Miamieagle

Endy1
03-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi,
Make sure you install to the same hard drive as your AEP+PF.
Create a folder of your choice, ie--C/Program files/IL2-DCG.
Unzip/extract to this folder, [tick the box that says "use folders" or words to that effect]

You should be installed now, so create a shortcut by right clicking on your decktop, ---new---shortcut, aim this at the directory you made.
Then you need to set the program up the first time you use it. A readme file that comes with the program explains it better than I could.
It IS worth the effort, good luck.

Capt._Tenneal
03-09-2005, 11:16 AM
I have a question too : I try to install the program as DGEN replace but on some campaigns I get error messages about "map not found" and some code or whatnot. Doesn't DCG replace all the DGEN campaigns ? The readme says that campaigns with either the form "campaign name" (DCG) or ones with a * by their names are playable but not all of them work.

tttiger
03-09-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm a longtime DCG user and fan but it isn't simple to get it up and running for the first time.

And, as Paul Lowengrin keeps building in more options, it gets more complicated.

And, frankly, his documentation is not always clear. He's a programmer, not a writer. There has been talk of someone writing a "DCG for Dummies" but it hasn't happened yet.

BUT, Paul is VERY willing to answer questions and does so quickly. Best support I've ever seen for any software.

The question is: Why are you posting your questions here? He has a forum on his web site including tips from other users. Go here:

http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

DCG is light years ahead of the stock DGEN campaigns and BOE (designed by the same guy).

Yes, it can be frustrating getting it set up but Paul will walk you through it and, yes, it definitely is worth the effort.

ttt

Endy1
03-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Capt.T,
There's a seperate thread also on page one, it mentions that from vers.3.07 DCG now has a seperate folder. So you do not HAVE to replace Dgen.
I installed mine two days ago and haven't read up on it yet. The newest vers. is 3.10
The other thread title mentions a new MED Campaign.

JunkoIfurita
03-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=6401067782) is the thread for a basic DCG installation. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read my post, it should get you started, assuming this is for offline play.

For co-op play, slightly different (but just as simple) set up. Just ask and I can post.

I'm one of the ones who is supposed to be putting together a proper users manual for DCG - The doco is about 1/3 done, but university and work have forced it into hiatus for a bit.

----

eric963c
03-19-2005, 01:16 AM
The setup for co-op campaign play would be great. I just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

Eric

JunkoIfurita
03-19-2005, 02:16 AM
To set up DCG for co-op campaigns, just add these extra steps.

In the Mode menu, select 'On-line Co-op', so that it's ticked.

Also select the 'Replace in-game CoOp Generator (NGen)' option.

Now close DCG and run the game.

Start a Multiplayer server and select 'campaign' as the game-type. You should see a big list of possible co-op campaigns - the ones you want have DCG as part of the descriptive name.

If you want to play a co-op Grand Campaign, select the DCG Lvov 41 campaign, and click 'Start'. That'll start you at the earliest part of the war and put you at the beginning of a massive ETO grand campaign that will continue through the major ETO maps as you play them out dynamically. Select 'Dead is Dead' as the option, this doesn't affect anything as it's the option withing DCGs 'Options' menu that changes that, which we'll get to in a bit (Stats Reset on Death - if its ticked, you lose your ranks/awards when you die. If it's not you keep them, which isn't as realistic).

For Pacific campaigns - there is no encompassing Grand Campaign, just yet. But there are a bunch of linked 'mini Grand'. Coral Sea - Wake - Midway. Umm, check the DCG readme, he outlines which campaigns are linked. Anyway, you can play any of the DCG campaigns in the list, no problems, but only certain campaigns will carry on to another map automatically once you've completed the front.

So you click 'New' and load up a mission. Cool - now you're playing. You and your squadmates can select positions from either side, and the AI will fill the remaining slots available. Each time you finish a mission and click new, what's happened in the mission will affect the campaign at large.

But you might want to tweak things: for example you might want to make it so a certain squadron flies certain planes, or even tailor make a specific mission for a specific night. For this stuff, you have to go back to the DCG program.

Close down the game, and open DCG. It will have automatically loaded up the settings for the most recent campaign you had open. (So if you were just flying Lvov 41, then that's what will happen). If you want to get access to another campaign's settings, you just click the 'open' button, find the folder for the campaign (they'll be inside Forgotten Battles/Missions/Net/Ngen by default), and select the 'squadrons.dcg' file.)

(I'll post some tweaking info in a bit...got to go out at the moment)

----

eric963c
03-19-2005, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the fast reply. I have everything setup correctly now and will start getting a few missions in t get used to the new options.

Eric