PDA

View Full Version : has ever been tried to add smaller trimtabs to the trimtabs?

raaaid
04-21-2007, 10:51 AM
hell you could then control your plane with you smaller finger

if it was up to me id made a surface that divided as many times as posible

DooDaH2007
04-21-2007, 10:54 AM
How many sliders do you have..?

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AFSG_Bulldog
04-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by raaaid:

I'm glad it isn't up to you because the control surfaces would then resemble a window blind.

Evidently you do not understand the function of trim tabs. Their function is to lighten the aerodynamic loads on the control surface and make the pilot's job of flying the plane easier. They are not there to fly the plane. They only slightly influence the movement of the control surface.

Try some aerial combat using only the trim tabs and let us know how you did.

Grendel-B
04-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by AFSG_Bulldog:
Evidently you do not understand the function of trim tabs. Their function is to lighten the aerodynamic loads on the control surface and make the pilot's job of flying the plane easier. They are not there to fly the plane. They only slightly influence the movement of the control surface.

But you CAN fly a plane with trim tabs only. That's what many Air Force pilots actually do. When the plane is nice and well trimmed and you only need small corrections, you can use trim to fly the plane.

Also, in high speeds the trims are actually everything you need for controls. Tiny movements.

One of the AF pilot friends once asked "which flight glove wears out quicker?"

Answer was left. Because they used left thumb to use the trims and were flying the plane by trims only for quite much of the flight.

Treetop64
04-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Raaaid, just what is this fascination with trim tabs, dood?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Concentrate on flying the plane already. Trim tabs DO NOT BOOST THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE ELEVATORS!!! Got it?!?! That is not what they do. They mearly balance the handling of the aircraft so you're not applying constant pressure on the stick just to maintain a certain attitude with the aircraft.

Please, put down the weed, grab a bag a chips, and get off this obsession with the trim tabs.

Taylortony
04-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Your talking servo tabs as the BAe 146 has, the tailplane surfaces float and the tab is connected to the stick, this requires smaller inputs and flies the tailplane to the desired angle..

Dont mix them up with anti servo tabs that on an all moving tailplane work against it to prevent you overcontrolling.

Taylortony
04-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
Concentrate on flying the plane already. Trim tabs DO NOT BOOST THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE ELEVATORS!!! Got it?!?! That is not what they do. They mearly balance the handling of the aircraft so you're not applying constant pressure on the stick just to maintain a certain attitude with the aircraft.

not true please read my post above

stansdds
04-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
Raaaid, just what is this fascination with trim tabs, dood?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

He either has trim tab envy or a trim tab fetish. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

WWSensei
04-22-2007, 06:24 AM
trim tabs on trim tabs to get finer control is like deciding to take three lefts to make a right. Modern aircraft use the hat switch (not talking GA aircraft but high performance aircraft) that you control trim with your thumb. If you want finer control you adjust the control interface not the flight surface. If you want better steering on a car you change the steering mechanism--you don't add more wheels.

M_Gunz
04-22-2007, 07:48 AM
hell you could then control your plane with you smaller finger

And find that you could make only slowwwwww control changes with your little finger.

What is there in reality is slow enough and fine enough for trim. And we use the main controls
to steer the plane then trim the forces up if we want to hold a control position.

Trim is for reducing stick forces in reality, usually reducing to zero.

Raaaid, you grow hemp or just live up the street from the rope factory?

raaaid
04-22-2007, 09:03 AM
my idea would be having a mobil wing divided in many tabs and you would control just a tiny last one

hey maybe noone thought of this before but it doesnt mean its a bad idea

the wing would adapt the flow, you would inter fere the least and all work would be done by the wind

LStarosta
04-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Two words:

Maintenance nightmare.

It would be extremely mechanically unreliable and easily breakable.

K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple, stupid!

WB_Outlaw
04-22-2007, 01:36 PM
my idea would be having a mobil wing divided in many tabs and you would control just a tiny last one

hey maybe noone thought of this before but it doesnt mean its a bad idea

the wing would adapt the flow, you would inter fere the least and all work would be done by the wind

Many aircraft can already be controlled with your pinkie (smallest) finger tip and those that can't be are that way due to restrictions like weight, cost, etc. Regardless, I would think that it would be next to impossible to get an effecient mechanical and aerodynamic design with such a "slatted" wing. Even if you could there is no reason to do it.

There is some research being done with flexible wings but if there are any physical models being tested now I'd bet that the ability to "reconfigure" in flight comes from the fact that they are simply very small and lightweight models right now. There has been some testing done with materials that change shape and properties when a varying electrical current is passed through them and IIRC there was some talk about the possibility of using those materials for reconfiguring an aircraft in flight.

--Outlaw.