PDA

View Full Version : Wow... is this normal?

gillettejm
08-08-2007, 05:15 PM
I started a new career as a pilot in Hawaii...

First mission I have one wingman to fly with and that is it...

Shortly after taking off we encounter like 15-20 zeros... There is no chance I can win that fight. That is not even fun trying at this point.

gillettejm
08-08-2007, 05:15 PM
I started a new career as a pilot in Hawaii...

First mission I have one wingman to fly with and that is it...

Shortly after taking off we encounter like 15-20 zeros... There is no chance I can win that fight. That is not even fun trying at this point.

p-11.cAce
08-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Ummmm...Pearl Harbor ring a bell http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

gillettejm
08-08-2007, 05:25 PM
So like what is the point? This campaign would take an absolute miracle to win. This is like a 1 mission career.

leitmotiv
08-08-2007, 05:26 PM
I love naivete!

okb001
08-08-2007, 05:27 PM
I think the point of that campaign is to survive it (likely by crash landing or bailing-out). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

gillettejm
08-08-2007, 05:28 PM
I am not an idiot. I realize this was during the time of Pearl Harbor... but it is kind of dumb to have this type of thing listed as a career. Should have made it a single mission.

berg417448
08-08-2007, 05:29 PM
It is possible to survive that mission. I spent 95% of the time running and evading but I did manage to shoot down a Zero before being hit and having to bale out.

p-11.cAce
08-08-2007, 05:34 PM
The point is to survive that mission...then you go on to bigger and better things and kick a bunch of ### http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VW-IceFire
08-08-2007, 05:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gillettejm:
I am not an idiot. I realize this was during the time of Pearl Harbor... but it is kind of dumb to have this type of thing listed as a career. Should have made it a single mission. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But if you want to really start at the beginning then this is the way to do it. You get to be one of the "lucky" pilots who managed to scramble and faced impossible odds. Which is what you're facing. Try and shoot down one or two and run like heck or bail out if you have to. Its about survival...not winning.

DKoor
08-08-2007, 05:59 PM
CTRL+E FTW

Or for the life anyhow.

SeaFireLIV
08-08-2007, 06:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gillettejm:
I am not an idiot. I realize this was during the time of Pearl Harbor... but it is kind of dumb to have this type of thing listed as a career. Should have made it a single mission. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Problem here is you`re looking at this from a `gamey` point of view, not a historical simulation point of view.

For you, it doesn`t matter if its Pearl harbour where realistically Jap planes seemed to be everywhere at once. You want to drop that bit of reality and dive in with your super-squad and shoot a zillion zeros down!

There are plenty of arcade games that serve this kind of play.

For me, and many others we want to experience the early terrifying drama of those early days. We put ourselves into the shoes of the men of time.

We must fly up on orders and face the oncoming wave of the enemy. Now obviously, some of the early missions will be nigh on impossible, in cases like that, you shoot down what you can then flee home, or even bail out. You fight to give the enemy a bloody nose and say, "We defy you!" Then run to fight another day. You are one of the brave FEW.

Battle of Britain is the same, i`ve flown in a squad of only THREE Spitfires facing an oncoming group of 100 HE111 and 50 109s!

Now if I had your view I`d be whining, but the boys in reality just dived in and did their best and we try to copy that!

It`s a similar situation on the Russian eastern front too.

Eventually, you survive, you overcome, the war changes in your favour and then it`s you who attack in droves and them who do the fleeing and the dying.

You gotta get into the mode of it.

p.s. Don`t forget to set `No Instant Mission Success` to OFF, or you will be frustrated. It`s better for surviving impossible missions alive.