PDA

View Full Version : Following the leader and question about headings

Kaptein_Damli
09-17-2007, 10:32 AM
I am a "nugget", or a newbie if you use the old term. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif My problem is as following: I have started a campaign joining the R.A.F. I am on mission three I belive, where I am about to takeoff to intercept bombers. I take off, and the leader are yelling something about height and heading. I try to follow the others, but every mission I join I got the message "what are you doing, follow the leader" etc etc. I thought the heading and height talk was my heading to follow? Now I susepct the headings to be where the enemy are spotted but I am confused. When I follow others, they follow a different heading, so I always get yelled(!) at telling my I have to follow the right course. I got this message a heading I should follow, but I saw nothing and so no enemy nor my own. Someone explain to me all about headings! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TheCrux
09-17-2007, 10:36 AM
It's related to distance. I seem to recall 1.5 km is the distance from your leader that triggers a nasty-gram regarding your formation discipline. Also, i believe it's YOUR leader, and not necessarlily the flight leader. ( If you are #4, then it's the #3 man )

My playings so far seem to bear this out.

lowfighter
09-17-2007, 10:41 AM
It might be that leader is a leader of another flight (in the il2 game 2 different leaders can talk with exactly the same voice)?
Anyway after you take off just try to keep close to your AI buddies, don't lose them from sight.

bigbossmalone
09-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi Damli, amd welcome to the world of IL2!
Let me see if I can help you out a bit here...
Firstly, whenever your flight, or any other friendly flight, for that matter, give out the height and heading messages, they do so whenever they reach a waypoint in their flight path.They are giving the altitude and heading bearings to the next waypoint. Once you start getting into using the Full Mission Builder(FMB), you will get a better grasp of this. There is also an option for 'radio silence' in the FMB, but that's not the issue at hand, I think. Post later for this if you need to.
When they start yelling,'What are you doing?',etc, this means that you have deviated from the flight path between waypoints.If you are the flight leader, you won't hear these messages.
It's not really anything to worry about, other than being slightly irritating hearing the repeated messages on the radio.
A great way to get up to speed in IL2 is to have a look at Bearcat's sticky at the top of the forum - 'A Nugget's guide to getting off the ground' - loads of handy info for beginners and beyond.
Fly friendly, fly safe!