PDA

View Full Version : PCX-X vs AGP

bmoffa
11-15-2007, 04:23 PM
I am thinking about a new high-end video upgrade. Currently have an NVidea 6800 in an 8xAGP slot. But, looking at NVidea's site, it looks like most everything is PCI-Express now. I have 3 64-bit, 66MHz PCI-X (3.3v) slots also. My guess is that PCI Express is something newer.

Is AGP on the way out? Can these new cards be used in my PCI-X slots?

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Wow, you missed the last 3 years bigtime, lol (just kidding). AGP is pretty much dead, PCI-Express is the new standard. You would need a motherboard with pci-e slots on it to use a pci-e video card. They still make some AGP cards but no more AGP boards I don't think.

DrHerb
11-15-2007, 05:27 PM
ASROCK builds motherboards with PCI-E and AGP slots as well with ddr and ddr2 ram slots as well, cheap upgrade if you wanna go Intel Core2 Duo or Quad as the board supports that cpu

-HH-Quazi
11-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by bmoffa:
I am thinking about a new high-end video upgrade. Currently have an NVidea 6800 in an 8xAGP slot. But, looking at NVidea's site, it looks like most everything is PCI-Express now. I have 3 64-bit, 66MHz PCI-X (3.3v) slots also. My guess is that PCI Express is something newer.

Is AGP on the way out? Can these new cards be used in my PCI-X slots? The three slots you mentioned are probably just PCI slots, not PCI-E slots m8.

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-16-2007, 07:04 AM
...You would need a motherboard with pci-e slots on it to use a pci-e video card. They still make some AGP cards but no more AGP boards I don't think.

He would also likely need to replace his DDR with DDR2 RAM as most all PCIE mobos only support the latter.

About the only upgrade for your 6800 would be an ATI 1950 Pro in AGP flavor. It would offer decent increase in GPU muscle but you may still be limited by your CPU and/or RAM.

Before I spent some hard-earned jack upgrading an aged rig, I'd seriously look into starting a collection of later-generation hardware. Get you a decent 680i or P35 motherboard, some decent PC6400 DDR2 and a mid-range Intel core2duo processor for under $500USD altogether and you'll be better off.

You can still use your case, HDD's and optical drives (you may need a new power supply though).

blairgowrie
11-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Wow, you missed the last 3 years bigtime, lol (just kidding). AGP is pretty much dead, PCI-Express is the new standard. You would need a motherboard with pci-e slots on it to use a pci-e video card. They still make some AGP cards but no more AGP boards I don't think.

MSI Socket 939 AGP Motherboards are still available from
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=249642

bmoffa
11-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks all. I will probably stay with what I have for now. My wife needs a video upgrade for AutoCAD 3d and she is also AGP. I just ordered a 7800 GS for to relace my card and she's getting my 6800. Will probably look at building a new system after the first of next year.

VW-IceFire
11-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by bmoffa:

Is AGP on the way out? Can these new cards be used in my PCI-X slots?
Actually its PCI-E (for PCI-Express) as PCI-X is actually another standard interconnect thats used on some servers. Best not to get them confused http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AGP is definitely on the way out. AGP maxed out at 8x speed and I don't think they were able to or willing to milk any more bandwidth out of the interface. AGP was also limited to a single slot while PCI-Express has made things easy for the manufacturers to allow for dual card situations and in the future triple or perhaps quad cards. Anyways if you feel the need to upgrade just the video card there are still a few high end video card options for AGP...one of the latest ATI video cards will have an AGP variant. But if you buy anything new ignore AGP and go straight for PCI-Express.

SeaFireLIV
11-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Sometimes I wonder if this stuff is all really a very clever white elephant.

I mean look...

1.PCI-E, supposed to be so much better than AGP, everyone uses it.
2.Sata hard drives instead of the parallel.
3. 2 core duo intel processer. Woo! So much better than Atlon 3500+
4. Better motherboard.

I`ve recently change to the intel from my trusty athlon with all the mentioned improvements.

For all the supposed superioity of these advances one can`t help but feel a little puzzled when he runs IL2, MTW2 or Oblivion and while the performance is better, it`s not really- Superior!

Oh well, at least my daughter got a decent PC out of it and doesn`t even really realise it (as far as she`s concerned her PC`s just one big internet jukebox).

x6BL_Brando
11-17-2007, 04:34 AM

When my nf3 (AGP) motherboard died recently I went in search of a similar board so that I could continue using my 939-pin dual-core processor and my recently purchased, splendid Ati x1950Pro AGP. Both CPU and GPU were water-cooled and I didn't want to replace the water-blocks as well as buy a new mobo.

Eventually, although I did find find a few older boards kicking about, I couldn't find one to equal my DFI in performance and quality so I decided to bite the bullet and go PCI-Ex. This flavour of x1950Pro is fairly cheap, and I was lucky to pick up an nf4 DFI board for 25 new, so I can carry on using the dual-core (and the 2Gb of Mushkin DDR) for a while longer.

Anyway, I wanted to say that I'm finding the PCI-Ex graphics card a whole lot smoother, even though I haven't hooked it back up to the water-loop. That may be partly because of the 512 Mb of g-memory (instead of 256) but it's certainly to do with the extra bandwidth that PCI-Ex provides.

All in all it's worked out well for me. I only spent 100 to achieve this step, but it took me several days to locate a new 'old' board. The neat part is that I'm up to date with the graphical interface, for the moment anyway!

White elephant. I think that'll be my name for this rig. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

B

stansdds
11-17-2007, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

I mean look...

1.PCI-E, supposed to be so much better than AGP, everyone uses it.
2.Sata hard drives instead of the parallel.
3. 2 core duo intel processer. Woo! So much better than Atlon 3500+
4. Better motherboard.

I`ve recently change to the intel from my trusty athlon with all the mentioned improvements.

For all the supposed superioity of these advances one can`t help but feel a little puzzled when he runs IL2, MTW2 or Oblivion and while the performance is better, it`s not really- Superior!

Oh well, at least my daughter got a decent PC out of it and doesn`t even really realise it (as far as she`s concerned her PC`s just one big internet jukebox).

Il2 is an old game and does not require a dual core CPU nor does it require PCIe graphics cards, so it is not the best sim for comparing current technology to three year old technology. You will see an increase in performance, but it will not be earth shattering. FSX is probably a far better flight sim for drawing comparisons and SoW:BoB will likely show substantial gains from using current computer technology.

x6BL_Brando
11-17-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm not so sure I agree with you Stans. I've flown this sim with an Ati 8500 - 9700Pro - x850xt - x1950Pro and now PCI-E as above. I've seen a steady increase in fps, detail and smoothness - matched by the evolving power of the cpus - 2800+Athlon up to x2 4600 (with a couple in between). So I'm not saying you can't run FB on a back-dated rig, just that it's far better with more capacity 'across the board', if you'll pardon the pun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'm just trying to explain why mismatched upgrades can be frustrating too - but I'm not trying to make a sale!

B

Xiolablu3
11-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I wouldnt bother with a full upgrade just to get a PCI Express graphics card. Your 6800GT is still a very good card and should run any current game at decent settings.

You can get 7900GS card in AGP and I just got the PCI-E version of this card.

I just did an upgrade and went with socket 939 AMD 4200+ X2.

Getting Socket 939 meant that I could reuse my 1.25gb of PC3200 (400mhz) Ram, and I only had to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and graphics card from an AGP 8x X800 Pro to a PCI-E 7900GS.

I used ebay and bought these components for my upgrade :-

XP2500+ to AMD64 X2 4200+ - 30
MSI Nforce2 to Asus A8N deluxe motherboard - 33
X800 Pro to a 7900GS - 60

Re-used everything else from my older XP2500+ system.

I was really pleased with such an upgrade, doubling my computing power, for a little over 100.

What are the specs of your current system, Bmoffa?