PDA

View Full Version : Playing Online with dial-up

Maddog678678
07-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Ok, so I was wondering how well this game plays online with dial-up. On average my speed is around 49kbps and a lot of the newer game out there I cant play online becuase my dial-up cant handle it. So has anyone out there played or is still playing this game on dial-up and if so how did it run, was the lag really bad, and did you get kicked or disconnected from the servers a lot?

THXS

Maddog678678
07-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Ok, so I was wondering how well this game plays online with dial-up. On average my speed is around 49kbps and a lot of the newer game out there I cant play online becuase my dial-up cant handle it. So has anyone out there played or is still playing this game on dial-up and if so how did it run, was the lag really bad, and did you get kicked or disconnected from the servers a lot?

THXS

3.JG51_BigBear
07-21-2007, 11:32 AM
I tried using dial up a few years ago when I first started playing Il2 online...I got high speed a week later.

My ping was always at least five times that of other players and I had all sorts of lag issues. I wouldn't recommend playing online with dial up unless its a very small map with a limited number of players.

Zeus-cat
07-21-2007, 01:28 PM
I agree with BigBear. I can be done, but smaller maps with fewer objects and aircraft are the best. You should also be aware that voice comms, like Teamspeak, are also real frame rate killers if anyone using them talks a lot.

Crash_Moses
07-21-2007, 11:09 PM
I've successfully flown on-line using a 28.8 connection. It isn't easy and takes some serious tweaking but it can be done. The only real reason I've stopped is that most of the guys I fly with use Teamspeak and being the only feller texting everybody made me feel a little guilty...

Regardless, check out this thread. Did wonders for my connection.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/4611068914

Also, make sure you have Windows and/or Norten autoupdate turned off when you fly. They are constantly checking for updates.

And check out the multi-player introduction thread over in the PF forum starting on page seven:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/6791022932/p/7

I think if you can get a fairly decent 48 or 56k connection you'll do okay. You won't be able to play on all the servers but a fair portion of them will be available to you.

S!

Lead-Brick
07-22-2007, 01:46 AM
I played online for quite some time with Dailup and found that I had to be quite choosey about the server that I was flying on. In the end I found one or two servers that I could regularly get pings of ~300. Flying on them was good and from then on I stuck to flying there. I couldn't run team speak at the same time so when I joined the 450 I upgraded to broard band.

Cheers

Kim