PDA

View Full Version : Axis settings for X45 Rotary's - manual config

Stinger22
11-07-2004, 10:23 AM
OK the axis settings look something like

0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0

For a rotary on the the X45, with the indented center how does this apply? IOW does this apply equally in both directions with the deadzone being around the indent or does the indent start in the middle of the range?

Anyone have any good trim settings for the rotary's?

Athosd
11-07-2004, 05:16 PM
For trim the centre indent of the rotary is the neutral position (in my experience anyway) - which way it is adjusted by the movement of the rotary depends on how you assigned it in the games control config. ie Whether you rotated forward/backward (or left/right) when binding the axis.

I've not found a need to fine tune the rotary trim control beyond what the game assigns. I also only have elevator trim on a rotary, aileron and rudder trim seem to be served well enough by key strokes (and many planes don't have them).

Cheers

Athos

Tully__
11-07-2004, 07:04 PM
I'd suggest setting your rotaries to:

100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100

That's where mine are set.

BSR_RuGGBuTT
11-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Tully, can you explain how that would work better? Also, should I set my rudder pedal axis like that too? I have CH pedals and they're still more sensitive than I like.

Tully__
11-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Rudder pedals are different, you may well want some scaling there.

I have the rotaries set at 100 across the board (except the first and 12th numbers, deaband and filtering) because that gives linear reaponse, which is what I want for trim and prop pitch control.

I've just tested and the scaling applies in both directions from the detent, not from one end to the other, so a little bit of scaling might be ok for some applications.

I don't use it for elevator trim because trim for level flight varies so much with speed. Good scaling at cruise speed would result in oversensitive scaling at landing and high speed dive speeds and vice versa.

For prop pitch, I want 10% on the rotary to equal 10% prop pitch. If I add scaling that wont be the case.

In the long run if you find it works better for you with scaling, go for it, but for me linear response makes more sense with the controls I have assigned to rotaries.

Edit: if you're interested in my X-45 rocker rudder settings, the "Joysticks & FB" article in my sig includes my settings (listed as "The Author") in the section about setting up sensitivity.

Athosd
11-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks Tully - I'll have to try out that config on my elevator trim.

BSR_RuGGBuTT
11-07-2004, 10:58 PM
I appreciate the input Tully. I'll try those settings.

BSR_RuGGBuTT
11-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Just a quick bump to thank Tully. I wasn't happy w/the trim settings having so much lag, w/his configuration they respond much more quickly and crisply.

<S!>

Fliger747
11-08-2004, 11:54 AM
With the X45 throttle, trim can be set on the small 4-way hat switch under the forefinger. Up and down for elevator, side to side for rudder. Aileron trim is generally not needed, have mine on the keyboard.

BSR_RuGGBuTT
11-08-2004, 01:50 PM
I have rudder pedals, so I set the rudder rocker on the throttle for rudder trim. It's chaff and flares for LOMAC....lol.

Stinger22
11-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks Tully, I'll be trying out new settings later tonight. I like using the rotary because I am constantly triming. In other sims it just comes naturally. PF is just a littel too sensitive and I'd like to lessen the effect around the center. I also find just a tad of deadzone to my liking. That way m sure to be at neutral without worrying about drift in the pots.