PDA

View Full Version : Noob Who is my wingman?

JustThisGuy
11-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi

In offline campaigns when you are assigned to be someones wingman is your wingman the guy that takes off just before you? For example I was asssigned to be captian Burkes wingman and Burke was the first name in the roster at the begining of the mission, I am in plane 04, so is my wingman plane 01 or plane 03? Thanks for the help.

Skycat_2
11-17-2007, 03:45 AM
Watch when an AI flight of four splits for combat. Number two follows #1 and #4 follows #3.

In a typical 'finger four' formation (the formation most often used when the flight is cruising) you should be flying behind and to the right of #3. Essentially, your job as the lowest ranking member of the flight is to fly in the blindest spot and get shot at first if the enemy sneaks up from the rear.

JustThisGuy
11-18-2007, 03:15 AM
Maybe I have the wrong idea, but I thought when the fighting starts I am supposed to protect my wingman. My problen is I do not know which plane I am the wingman of if I am not the leader of the flight.

-HH-Quazi
11-18-2007, 05:56 PM
If you are #2, then you are #1's wingman. If you are #4, then you are #3's wingman. If you are winging a human pilot, when you get a bandit on your six, your leader should treat it as if the bandit was on his six and he should start flying defensively to try to shake the bandit. But when winging an AI, you have to protect yourself because the AI could care less if there is a bandit on your six.

JustThisGuy
11-24-2007, 02:26 AM
Now I know. In the briefing the pilots names were listed in the order Hicks, Gibson, Rendina, and me. Hicks was designated as the leader and I was assigned as Hicks wingman. I was in plane 4 and Hicks was in plane 1, so even though I was last on the deck my wingman was first to take off. (I found out by shooting down plane 1 and then crashing into sea to end the mission, the only ones killed were me and Hicks,so Hicks was in plane 1).

Skycat_2
11-24-2007, 11:21 AM
In the dynamic campaigns the briefings are generalized templates with randomized data tossed in. Don't take them too seriously because often they won't make very much sense.

Hicks, as #1, is the leader. The way the AI is programmed you (as #4) should be following #3. Allow a mission to play out on autopilot and watch who your plane follows in a dogfight and you'll see what I mean.

Have you considered starting the campaigns at the highest rank possible? Then you are always the leader and you can let the other guys figure out who is your wingman. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JustThisGuy
11-25-2007, 12:32 AM
I think you are right Skycat, later in the mission plane 1 and plane 3 go seperate ways, I followed plane 1 and I got the "Stay with your leader message", so apparently my wingman was plane 3 (as HH-Quazi said) even though according to the briefing my wingman was plane 1. Thank you for the help.