PDA

View Full Version : BoB interview with Oleg

JG4_Helofly
05-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi,

Have you read the interview from the E3?

There is a point I don't understand ( maybe my english is to bad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

"Tom: How does the damage model compare to the original IL-2? How detailed will the damage model be? Will things like internal components (like cockpit components) be damageable in the new game?

Oleg Maddox: Really, even in IL-2 series the internal structure of the aircraft was modeled as well as its damage. In IL-2 series it was up to 40 structure 3D details damage-able (depending of the aircraft). This wasn't done for each of 300+ aircraft, the preference was given to these aircraft that most popular for users or that are necessary for the major gameplay. However such planes like Me-323, G-11 glider, transport or some old planes from original IL-2 had more simple damage structure due to time that need each plane that to model such things. However even more simple damage model was tuned as more as possible close to the complex one.

If to speak about Storm of War: The Battle of Britain we don't plan to increase too much the details of damage, but we plan to get way greater looking images of damage and to add incredibly more physics to the behavior of damaged parts and damage of still flying aircraft, including such a case when changes of G-loading at the turn or other maneuver will damage completely previously partially damaged by the shot wing or other part of aircraft. So you will need to pay great attention to fly damaged aircraft in terms of G-loading, landing, etc. "

A few weeks ago I saw some pics from the bob damgae model. It was said that it was dynamic and not pre modelled like in il2. When I read this interview I understand that bob will not have very much improvements in this area.
What does Oleg mean? No dynamic DM or does he mean internal damages only?

It would also be sad to have a simple damage model for the engine like now. The engine is probably the most important thing in the DM.

Can someone help me to understand?

Capt.LoneRanger
05-16-2006, 09:11 AM
To translate Olegian to English:

There were allready 40 internal things that could be hit - in SoW:BoB there won't be much more internal things that can be hit, but it will look more real (there will be bullet-holes and damages shown, where the bullets actually hit) and the damaged parts will react more real and will have a greater and more real effect on the flight-modell of a damaged plane. This will include the effect, that damaged parts can be further damaged by G-load, rough weather, landing, etc.

The fact that according to previous statements, you'll be able to shoot off parts of a wing, for example, is not denied here. It was just said, that there won't be much more internal damage areas modelled, than in the Top10 IL2-planes.

JG4_Helofly
05-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks alot capt.

I hope the engine will be modeled more precisely in the DM. It's would be good to have advantages with aircooled engines like the bmw 801.

Capt.LoneRanger
05-16-2006, 09:45 AM
I think, this is exactly, what Oleg meant. In IL2, if you hit the wingmounted cannons or the magazine, it would simply take the guns out.

Making the damage-effect more complex could mean, that the same hit could explode the magazine, jam the gun, move it out of the firing line, make it fire unpredictable, etc.

For the engine, a more precise damage-modelling could mean the air-cooled radial engines finally have an advantage over the water-cooled in-line engines.

Let's wait for the dev-updates Oleg promised...

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-16-2006, 11:33 AM
What he's saying is that while the DM won't be considerably more advanced than IL2, it WILL be dynamic. Thus his statement that previously damaged aircraft will handle differently and be more susceptible to damage than in previous iterations.

TB