PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade CPU+RAM or CPU or More Ram for better performance

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 02:47 PM
I would like to get peoples opinions on what is the best way to improve FB performance. I have heard on these forums that a CPU upgrade to say a P4 2.4 or better is the way to go because FB is Processor intensive. Then I hear that upgrading the memory is the cheapest and best way to go because FB is RAM intensive 768 Meg Ram should be the standard 1024 is best.

So which is it?

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 02:47 PM
I would like to get peoples opinions on what is the best way to improve FB performance. I have heard on these forums that a CPU upgrade to say a P4 2.4 or better is the way to go because FB is Processor intensive. Then I hear that upgrading the memory is the cheapest and best way to go because FB is RAM intensive 768 Meg Ram should be the standard 1024 is best.

So which is it?

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 02:48 PM
What do you have now?

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/_uimages/p47atm.gif

Zayets
08-29-2003, 02:51 PM
One thing is for sure: about 2/3 of the load is taken by your CPU and RAM. A good vid card helps a lot but only if is installed on a system with pretty good specs.
Example:
i will go for this system

P4 2.4 1 gig ram GeForce/aTI 64 megs

instead of this one

p4 1.4 512 M ram GeForce/Ati 128 megs.

Just my 0.02 euros

Zayets out

http://www.arr.go.ro/iar81c.JPG

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 08:12 PM
Hi Guys: Thanks for the feedback. I currently have a P4 1.7GHz with 512 Meg Ram. Video Card is obsolete 32 Meg Nvida using 44.03 drivers. ( my system crashes with latest nvidia drivers).

I am on a limited budget so I am looking for the biggest bang for my buck.

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 08:32 PM
I have an Athlon 1.4 GHZ and I had the same choice, but due to my limited power supply and MB I ended up going for a 64 MB Vid card, Nividia or course, made a big difference. The processor is the best way to go and at least 712MB Ram, DDR ram of course, but that depends on your MB and power supply. Bus speed is very important too, if your 266MHZ you're fine, but a faster board, say 533 or more and 8X AGP slot you'd get better performance even if your processor is not fast.

Don't forget the sound card, I did some experiments with turning off the device in device manager and was surprised to see the FPS go up dramatically with no sound, but who can play that way.

http://www.warbirdpictures.com/LCBW/Ju87-B2-45.jpg

<center>http://www.luftwaffe-experten.com/backgrounds/Luftwaffe_poster.JPG
<marquee>Come join the Sturzkampfflugzeuge Division, meet your friends, hang out, good pay </marquee>

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 08:42 PM
I play without sound half the time. But thats just the post patch sound problem http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Interesting thread guys. I am currenly on an Athlon 1500+ with 512Mb & a Geforce4 ti 4200 128 Mb and the stuttering with a busy sky is starting to get to me. Time to upgrade... Should I stay with AMD or go Intel. Bear in mind I am on a limited budget.
Stan Cox

P.s. My first post after months of lurking wheeeeeee!

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 08:56 PM
I have an AMD 1333 with 512Mb & a ATI Radeon 9000 pro 128 Mb video card. I have no problems with stuttering, unless running Perfect. I have never checked my FPS however. Although I have very little problems with this setup, I am planning on upping the processor to a XP 2400 soon. And probably go to a gig of memory. The ATI card has been just great with everyting I have thrown at it considering the setup I have. I have been debating whether to step up to the 9600 pro card, any comments on this?

"The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 09:06 PM
dragonhart38 wrote:
- Hi Guys: Thanks for the feedback. I currently have a
- P4 1.7GHz with 512 Meg Ram. Video Card is obsolete
- 32 Meg Nvida using 44.03 drivers. ( my system
- crashes with latest nvidia drivers).
-
- I am on a limited budget so I am looking for the
- biggest bang for my buck.
-
-

More RAM would probably be quickest, easiest and least expensive upgrade. On my old computer I doubled from 256 to 512 and noticed a reasonable improvement with the 'old' IL-2.

That computer also had an Nvidia card and I had exactly the same problems you're getting: the more I upgraded the drivers the more crash prone my system became, so I ended up settling for one version newer than original install. One big reason why I got a Radeon card this time.

A decent 64MB GFX card would probably also give you a bit of a boost, before you need to go for more CPU power. I'm no expert, but having gone through the same process you're going through now, I'd go for RAM, GFX and CPU, in that order, as your CPU is more up to date than the GFX I'd say. Good luck /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Kernow
249 IAP

Message Edited on 08/29/0308:09PM by Kernow

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 09:11 PM
The stuttering is getting to me as well. But I don't know if I should upgrade the cpu or get more ram or do both or get a new video card.

Really its interesting but strange that we would be talking about upgrading when most of us have pretty powerful machines to begin with. The hardware requirements for this game to run decently are really quite high and to me that is concerning. I am sure the hardware manufacturers love to see this stuff. People buying a $60 game then going out and spending skads of money on hardware upgrades to make the thing run properly.

It's really kind of sad when you think about it. Somehow I think that if game manufacturers were to put optimal system requirements on their game packages rather than minimum requirements this would dissuade many from buying such games.
In my view putting minimum system requirements on a game package is deceptive marketing. When you combine this fact with a comment I heard in a game store the other day its troubling. A young man came into the store while I was looking at the operation barbarossa add-on for FB and asked the manager about a computer game and what he though of it. The manager's response was. Don't know I don't play computer games anymore I completely converted to PS2. Now this game the young man asked about was some 3d shooter game which are the most popular PC games and the manager doesn't even play them anymore on a PC. What does this say about flight sims then. The future doesn't look good for sim manufacturers. There will be point in time when this genre hits crtical mass and people will say wow another great flight sim but now I have to upgrade again...no thanks. Take LOMAC for instance. I think we will see comments and upgrade questions similar to ours here on that game's forum when it comes out.

I still love FB though and if anything it will take the sting out of an upgrade somewhat. I can say for certain that LOMAC looks great but I will not buy it because I know that my system will require a major upgrade to run it at an optimal level and I am not prepared to do this for another $60 game.

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 10:01 PM
256 of RAM and at least GF4 TI4200 128MB will make a world differences for you. Cheapest way out /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif , below $200 to spend. That`s what i would do....and did back in the day.

V!

Regards,
VFC*Crazyivan
http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

"No matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down." Ivan Kozhedub

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 10:12 PM
ram is most important i think - i got a 2.4 with 800 FSB and 2 gigs of twinmos ddr400 on a dual channel setup. The processor is way more then enough and the system can host 24 players easily with a object-mania crimea-map. i used to overclock the P4 but i have it at 2.4 now - no need to overclock it. got a new motherboard that is cheap but good - intel G875 - it was less then 150 euros and each twinmos 512Mb ddr400 was only 50 euros a piece - the 2.4 800 FSB processor is also cheap - best bang for buck of the intel line - or maby its the 2.66 now. but maby someone who uses AMD can tell you about something even better performance-for-buck-wise

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 11:16 PM
You will need a new video card even if you upgrade your processor, so get the card first, see if the performance if acceptable, then decide on the processor issue.

A video card upgrade alone should make a very big difference.

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 11:24 PM
2.4 GHZ AMD Processor
8X Mother Board
8X Graphics Card (Radeon 9700 pro)
1 Gig DDR Ram

Matching a 8X Graphics Card with an 8X mother board is where you get the biggest bang for your buck, it is vital or you will not be able to take full advantage of an 8X Graphics card.
The Mother Board can have the 2.4 GHZ Amd taken out and the AMD 3.2 GHZ processor popped in later on if need be.

Also for Online connectivity I went with cable uncapped up and down stream.

S!

Message Edited on 08/29/03 10:28PM by Artic_Wulf

Message Edited on 08/29/0310:32PM by Artic_Wulf

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 01:54 AM
I have,

P4 2.0 gig
GF4 Ti4200 128 meg
1024 Megs DDR Ram

and I can't run perfect settings. As mentioned above I believe it is because my MOBO isn't 8x and my vid card is.

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 02:30 AM
Yes I did the same thing,
Originaly I was running,
1.4 GHz AMD
512 MB Ram
Geforce 11MX it was Ok for IL-2.

I went and purchased the Radeon only to find out that I had a 4X mother Board, after spending the money on the Radeon, I found that I could update the Mother Board to 8x, upgrade the processor to a 2.4 GHZ Amd and replace the Ram with a GIG of DDR Ram, for about the same Cost as the 8X Radeon 9700 pro, card.
So I thought why not.

I reckon if your seriouse, first Match an 8X Mother Board with a Graphics Card that is 8X, weather that be a Radeon or an NVidea, or whatever other brand,
After that the Ram is not all that expensive, and mother Boards that carry either a Pentium or an AMD Processor should be able to just have the processor updated, when you want a faster processor.

Matching the 8X Mother board with 8X Graphics card will allow you to still use your current processor, they should be able to take your 1.7 GHZ Pentium processor out of your old 4X mother Board and put it into a new 8x Mother Board recommended for Pentium, processors, it may also allow you to get away with using your existing Ram, in your new mother board as well.
Then it just a matter of which 8X graphics card you wish to buy.

Then you can always update your Ram and processor later, when you get some more money.

S!

Message Edited on 08/30/03 01:38AM by Artic_Wulf

Message Edited on 08/30/0301:40AM by Artic_Wulf