PDA

View Full Version : Den defense, yes or no.

Altair661
11-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Alot of reviews and previews are up for Revelations now. And it's been getting some relatively good scores. Nothing below a 7 (though a 7 seems pretty steep, it would come from Eurogamer though). However a common theme I'm seeing is that no one is reall digging the den defense.

To me, I cannot accurately give an opionion for I have not played the game. However I've watched plenty of gameplay stuff on it...and I have to agree with them. It just looks awkward and so not Assassin's Creed to me. Ezio's a Master Assassin, not a field commander. It just doesn't look so good to me.

I feel like because Ubisoft has been criticized for making it an annual realease franchise, they feel the need to try their best to pack as much stuff in as possible. Which I don't blame them, I encourage it. But when it doesn't fit the context of the game and doesn't feel right...they should've left it out. I like the idea of having to protect your dens, I would've much more preferred a mass battle with you and your assassins at your side. Not commanding cannons and shooting your hidden gun at a makeshift-shelter-device-thing.

Altair661
11-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Alot of reviews and previews are up for Revelations now. And it's been getting some relatively good scores. Nothing below a 7 (though a 7 seems pretty steep, it would come from Eurogamer though). However a common theme I'm seeing is that no one is reall digging the den defense.

To me, I cannot accurately give an opionion for I have not played the game. However I've watched plenty of gameplay stuff on it...and I have to agree with them. It just looks awkward and so not Assassin's Creed to me. Ezio's a Master Assassin, not a field commander. It just doesn't look so good to me.

I feel like because Ubisoft has been criticized for making it an annual realease franchise, they feel the need to try their best to pack as much stuff in as possible. Which I don't blame them, I encourage it. But when it doesn't fit the context of the game and doesn't feel right...they should've left it out. I like the idea of having to protect your dens, I would've much more preferred a mass battle with you and your assassins at your side. Not commanding cannons and shooting your hidden gun at a makeshift-shelter-device-thing.

AnthonyA85
11-14-2011, 06:57 PM
I too have seen plenty of gameplay for it, and i'll reserve my full judgement until after i've played through it a few times, but from what i've seen, it definately looks like an interesting addition.

dxsxhxcx
11-14-2011, 07:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Altair661:
I like the idea of having to protect your dens, I would've much more preferred a mass battle with you and your assassins at your side. Not commanding cannons and shooting your hidden gun at a makeshift-shelter-device-thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is what I was expecting too, I'll give it a try once I get the game, but I'm almost certain that I won't like this feature...

MostJadedGamer
11-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Actually some fo the reviewes ar epraising it, and saying it is a great addition. I am very much looking forward to it.

Sarari
11-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Since I haven't gotten the game yet, I won't judge it (well at least not from experiencing it, but from what I've seen).

So, I think the Den Defense looks ok at the moment, maybe because I'm just anxious and exited to get the game. But at the same time, it really doesn't fit Assassin's Creed all that much. I feel like Ubisoft just wanted to add a change to the game, which I appreciate. The fact that they had the balls to put something out like this to see if it would work out or not makes them a much better company.

I mean, we can hate on it as much as we want, but a true AC fan would stick to the game and not turn it down because of one thing. So I'm looking forward to trying it out. If I don't like it, It's no big deal.

Call me a fanboy, but I'm sticking with AC no matter what.

Altair661
11-14-2011, 08:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sarari:
Since I haven't gotten the game yet, I won't judge it (well at least not from experiencing it, but from what I've seen).

So, I think the Den Defense looks ok at the moment, maybe because I'm just anxious and exited to get the game. But at the same time, it really doesn't fit Assassin's Creed all that much. I feel like Ubisoft just wanted to add a change to the game, which I appreciate. The fact that they had the balls to put something out like this to see if it would work out or not makes them a much better company.

I mean, we can hate on it as much as we want, but a true AC fan would stick to the game and not turn it down because of one thing. So I'm looking forward to trying it out. If I don't like it, It's no big deal.

Call me a fanboy, but I'm sticking with AC no matter what. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no, in no whay did I mean I was going to skip revelations because of this, I'm getting it Wednesday. I just think this feature has sort of deviated from the purpose of the games in the first place. But I'm awlays welcome to new things, heck, I could turn out to love it to death. I doubt it, because personally it's not really a interesting thing to me. Trust me, I'm a huge fan-boy too. I enjoyed AC1 enough to beat it 8 times, some people can't seem to enjoy enough to beat it once. But I still can't wait for it.

Sarari
11-14-2011, 08:09 PM
lol I was talking about in general, not just to you :P

And how did you beat AC1 8 times?????

Altair661
11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Well I beat it once, then loved it so much I went back and played it 2 more times. 3. Then I played it twice before AC2 (once to refresh, another to try and get the flags).5. Before ACB.6. And then twice before ACR, once on each system. I just like it that much. The Assassinations and acting like a real assassin was so awesome to me. Im not gonna lie though, I don't think I could live through playing that intro again...soooo boring. Also I find it fun to play through all the game after playing the most recent because you understand so much more, and also what they were hinting at earlier on. And it was like my 3rd xbox game, so it's really all I had to play besides Gears 1 and COD4 at the time.

Sarari
11-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Hahaha I had Gears of War 2, Saints Row 2, AC1, and NBA 2k11, but I hate sport games now. They made me soo mad and I nearly broke my Xbox once lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif but that was when I was immature and young....#insanity

Animuses
11-14-2011, 08:21 PM
@Altair661
I beat AC1 8 times as well. The only games I really played before AC2 was CoD4 and AC1. I probably beat it a total of three times before AC2, but I mostly just free roamed all of the cities having a good 'ol time killing guards and Templars. The funny thing was even though I payed it so much, I still didn't know you can counter with the hidden blade until after I beat AC2.

Back on topic... I'm not going to knock before I try it, but I don't think I'll like it much. At the most I'll probably find it okay.

Altair661
11-14-2011, 08:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Animuses:
I beat AC1 8 times as well. The only games I really played before AC2 was CoD4 and AC1. I probably beat it a total of three times before AC2, but I mostly just free roamed all of the cities having a good 'ol time killing guards and Templars. The funny thing was even though I payed it so much, I still didn't know you can counter with the hidden blade until after I beat AC2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember learning that, I was at my cousins house when we were playing it and he tried to be funny and go into a fight with a Hidden Blade and he suddenly countered one and killed him. It made AC1 so much more sweeter

Bipolar Matt
11-14-2011, 08:28 PM
I am approaching everything about this game with an open mind and enthusiasm. Yes, looking forward to den defense.

Sarari
11-14-2011, 08:31 PM
I also remember I could counter with the hidden blade after AC2. I also didn't know about combos until a few months before I got AC2.

Animuses
11-14-2011, 08:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Altair661:
I remember learning that, I was at my cousins house when we were playing it and he tried to be funny and go into a fight with a Hidden Blade and he suddenly countered one and killed him. It made AC1 so much more sweeter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I saw it youtube and I was like, "WHAAAT?!" I then immediately went to play afterwards. Even though it makes combat much easier, I love making Templars and higher ranking guards look so weak.

MostJadedGamer
11-14-2011, 09:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I enjoyed AC1 enough to beat it 8 times, some people can't seem to enjoy enough to beat it once. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow that must have been pure torture beating AC1 8 times. I hated AC1, and don't even think I played half way through it. Though I still recognized the massive potential of the franchise, and bought AC2 on Day 1 even though I hated AC1.

There still has NOT been a good AC game yet, and here I am going to go to a midnight launch tonight to pick Revelations up hoping we will FINALLY get a good AC on the 4th try.

Blind2Society
11-14-2011, 09:16 PM
I, along with (I imagine) most of the people on this forum, completely disagree with your assessment of the franchise. Just sayin.

As for the topic of this thread, I've not been too enthused about this whole den defense thing but I suppose I'll find out in about an hour.

SleezeRocker
11-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Personally..im not a fan for strategy/defense games but..i'll try it out. I tend to suck at those since usually I get flanked somehow and end up losing.
which is 1 reason why I ownt be getting the Meditarrean expansion from UPlay off the bat when I get ACR.

However ill try to go along with for *SPOILERS* (maybe?)
<span class="ev_code_WHITE">-Get the Master Assassin Armor
-Get the trohies for training 7 Assassin to Master+do Master Assassin(ation) missions</span>

Sarari
11-14-2011, 09:27 PM
I agree with Dennis about AC1 having potential. I remember when it came out, and even before it did, people said that it was gonna be a new gen game. It looked like it at that point, but all the AC games after it are nothing more than just games to the majority of gamers out there (other than huge AC fans, including me).

To be totally honest, I think the AC series did have a lot of potential. Not saying that the series is horrible. I actually love and adore the game and the story, but their problem is that they tried to fit to many AC games in a short amount of time.

They took 3-4 years making AC1, and that's why it was known for being a new gen game. It has so many things that were new in video games. It's graphics, its gameplay, and frankly its story. Working that hard on a game for 4 years straight will be amazingly better each time it's released and will be recognized more by the people.

RzaRecta357
11-14-2011, 11:33 PM
I think i'll enjoy the den defense and I'm with you on beating AC1 like 8 times too haha. The first time on release then a few months later I beat it on PS3. Then I thought the ending was weird and started reading the histories behind the game and got HOOKED.

Then they announced AC2 and I was like WHATT perfect timing. Haha.

I'm sure i'll enjoy this one just as much.

DragonAddicted
11-15-2011, 02:10 AM
The Den Defense is not my favourite part of the game, but thatīs my opinion and maybe not the opinion of someone else, I hope that it wouldnīt return in the next Assassinīs Creed game. The hookblade however is a item that I hope to see again in the next game.

Dralight
11-15-2011, 03:04 AM
I've played the den defense once so far, and personally i think it's quite a fun addition and a nice bit of variation. I can see it getting a bit boring after a while though, but we have the option to just ignore den defense anyway.

Blind2Society
11-15-2011, 03:16 AM
After playing it I have to agree with you.

KuldarYldrad
11-15-2011, 05:23 AM
The good point is that it's easy to avoid Den Attack. So if you don't like it (as me), it's not a problem.

johnnyhayek
11-15-2011, 10:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sarari:
lol I was talking about in general, not just to you :P

And how did you beat AC1 8 times????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beat AC1 7 times, all before AC2 came out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I think I would've played it even more. Unfortunately, AC1 was on my 360, which broke, so I got a PS3 and it's the platform I used to play AC2 and ACB, and soon ACR. If I had kept my 360, I'm sure I would've replayed it at least once. That's why I'm trying to make sure I get an ACR copy soon, so I can get AC1 along with it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

If you truly look deep into the game, you will realize how AC1 is truly the best game in the AC series, and my favorite game ever alongside Oblivion. AC1's biggest advantage however is its assassinations. Sure you spend lot of time just investigating your target before every attempt, but those missions only build up your excitement and suspense to kill your target. That made each target seem significant and not just some random useless one like ACB's targets and some of AC2's ones. So, in conclusion, AC1 is best in my opinion.

E-Zekiel
11-15-2011, 11:06 AM
This is actually a lot of fun and a nice little extra mini-game type thing that they added in. Basically an RTS type deal. Try it if you haven't already! (you have to for a story mission anyway - I got flawless with no cannons and got that trophy first try hehe)

Animuses
11-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Meh...I hope it doesn't return.

kriegerdesgottes
11-15-2011, 12:05 PM
I played it three times yesterday and I'm not a huge fan. After the first time when I saw templars attacking my den I was like screw it, they can have it lol. After the first time! so that's a bad sign. I would rather play them though than the Desmond sequences. Those are such a pain.

Altair661
11-15-2011, 02:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
I played it three times yesterday and I'm not a huge fan. After the first time when I saw templars attacking my den I was like screw it, they can have it lol. After the first time! so that's a bad sign. I would rather play them though than the Desmond sequences. Those are such a pain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh really? Im not getting the game until tomorrow but it looks rather...strange(the desmond parts). Some reviewers liked it, but they're the type of people who expect a brand new game every time..so is it more of a love it or hate it?

PhiIs1618033
11-15-2011, 02:19 PM
I dislike Den Defense. It's unnatural and definitely not fitting the game.

Jexx21
11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Actually, I think it'll feel more natural on the PC with KB+M, mostly because these type of games are more suited for the PC. Same thing with the aiming system with the bombs.

LightRey
11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
I like it. It's fun. Either way it's easily preventable by either keeping notoriety low or placing master assassins in the dens.

Altair661
11-15-2011, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
I like it. It's fun. Either way it's easily preventable by either keeping notoriety low or placing master assassins in the dens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh well that's good. I'll actually feel propelled to rank my Assassins to Master before I beat the game now. I'll try it out, but if I don't like it I'll ignore them. Oh and quick question, if anyone has gotten this far. I don't want any spoilers, since I don't have the game, but if you could tell me if there's a certain point within the story where free roaming stops like a certain sequence that'd be nice. Because I was gonna do a ton a stuff sidequest wise on ACB I had been saving for towards the end and I started sequence 8 and never got a break to free roam or do any sidequests until I beat the game. I don't know why but sometimes it feels pointless to do those side missions after I beat the main story for some reason.

Jexx21
11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
I like it. It's fun. Either way it's easily preventable by either keeping notoriety low or placing master assassins in the dens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, someone who reviewed the game said said "You can put assassins as the leaders of dens! I don't know what that does, and I played the game. But you can do it!"

Needless to say, I don't think he actually paid attention to the dialogue. &gt;.&lt;

I'm just sad that so far this is the lowest rating AC game at 79 (AC1 has an 81!), but yet a lot of the reviews still claim it to be the best AC game.

If I reviewed games I would review it as if it stood on it's own. But some reviews did say that it didn't provide enough backstory to understand what is actually going on if you didn't play the previous games. So I would have to rate it down for that.. :/

Altair661
11-15-2011, 02:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:

Lol, someone who reviewed the game said said "You can put assassins as the leaders of dens! I don't know what that does, and I played the game. But you can do it!"

Needless to say, I don't think he actually paid attention to the dialogue. &gt;.&lt;

I'm just sad that so far this is the lowest rating AC game at 79 (AC1 has an 81!), but yet a lot of the reviews still claim it to be the best AC game.

If I reviewed games I would review it as if it stood on it's own. But some reviews did say that it didn't provide enough backstory to understand what is actually going on if you didn't play the previous games. So I would have to rate it down for that.. :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well honestly how many people are gonna look at ACR on a shelf who have never heard of a AC game pick it up and play it. I think this game is mainly for the people who are mostly familiar with the franchise, unlike AC2 where I know a ton of people played it never knew there was a 1st one. With AC3 they could try to do it better. But with ACR I think it's too deep in the series to try to make it acceptable to new people and still keep the "Revelations" for us hardcore people. Which I don't blame them. Reviewers are looking for a brand new game everytime, but the fact is, is that everytime they say the new AC is the best one. I do think it gets rated to low sometimes, but to be honest AC hasn't changed much since AC2(Except big changes are Recruits, and expansion on sidemissions) so they have to give the honest opinion, unlike us who are hardcore and sorta biased.

vorenus73
11-16-2011, 11:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
If I reviewed games I would review it as if it stood on it's own. But some reviews did say that it didn't provide enough backstory to understand what is actually going on if you didn't play the previous games. So I would have to rate it down for that.. :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is why I dont bother reviews... I just ask my friends what they think. They provided more than enough backstory. And made 8 million videos on youtube to catch people up. Any more and it would have bored the rest of us.

Ezio292012
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
i like the den defense it gives you some good challenge.

kriegerdesgottes
11-16-2011, 11:56 AM
I would agree that if I was not a huge AC fan and I hadn't read all of the Secret Crusade, I would have had no clue what was going on. I noticed they did make attempts at trying to get new-comers caught up but the AC story is so big and complicated that I don't think there's a perfect way to do it. I do think they handled it better this time though with 16 telling Desmond what was happening than they did in Brotherhood where it was just Desmond at the beginning talking to himself for some reason going over the games so far.

yoda1138777
11-16-2011, 12:06 PM
I like it very much but they needed to tell you that you can loot people too, (took me a while to see it), not just have a little icon in the bottom left. I love defense games. Fieldrunners FTW

Ragnarok0130
11-16-2011, 12:27 PM
I love being back in the east in Revelations but I absolutely loath den defense. Den defense in its current format is as out of place as an AC style puzzle mini-game would be in gears of war. If we are to defend our dens it would be more logical to have to return to the den and fight the templar invaders in normal AC fashion just like in Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare John Marsten has to return to a formerly liberated town to stop another zombie onslaught from overrunning it.

cc0
11-16-2011, 02:17 PM
I would have preferred a massive battle in the streets and rooftops surrounding the den rather than sit in a fixed position, setting up units and barricades. It doesn't fit the style of the series -- one that allows for players to immerse themselves and freely run around in a rich world. You're instead forced to remain still and take a step back. That's sometimes good but the difference between den defense and normal play is so massive that it doesn't work. I hope it doesn't return.

luckyto
11-16-2011, 02:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:
I dislike Den Defense. It's unnatural and definitely not fitting the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep.

scout455
11-16-2011, 04:02 PM
I have the game but haven't played it and the den defense in my opinion seems fun I like the fact that the enemies are taken back their territory but the way of defending it isn't assassins creed. I agree that the way to defend it shud be a massive sword fight with you and your assassins that gets harder in the event that you may have to retreat like the combat training rooms in brotherhood.

xCr0wnedNorris
11-16-2011, 04:10 PM
I like Den Defense (because apparently I go against the norm of everything in this forum...). I think it's fun.

Grandmaster_Z
11-17-2011, 06:47 AM
i just got owned trying to defend. this is terrible. the battering ram smashes through your barricades like they were paper. its so garbage.

LightRey
11-17-2011, 06:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xCr0wnedNorris:
I like Den Defense (because apparently I go against the norm of everything in this forum...). I think it's fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I really agree. It really isn't that hard. Just make sure you can use your cannons when the siege weapon arrives.

Zire1022
11-17-2011, 07:59 AM
the den defense is the worst addition to the game thus far imho that and the constant grind to keep the dens unoccupied.

luckyto
11-17-2011, 08:26 AM
It really isn't that hard, but the biggest challenge is using the fidgety, awkward and unnatural "cursor" and controls.

2) It's not really all that fun. I've got an iPhone tower defense that is immensely more enjoyable.

3) And the most important, it does not fit in an Assassin's Creed game. It's a fish out of water.

4) It becomes annoying because if you sneeze wrong, then your den is going to come under attack.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zire1022:
the den defense is the worst addition to the game thus far imho that and the constant grind to keep the dens unoccupied. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it happens far too often. Last night, I cleared one den. Had Awareness set to "Secret". And I walked across some rooftops, killed one rifleman; and an official pops up. Using a smoke screen, I assassinate (silently I might add) the official; and the same den comes under attack again. Not even 5 minutes of gameplay later. Pretty much the time it took to go about twenty blocks. I just gave up, I'd rather take them back.

LightRey
11-17-2011, 08:32 AM
You guys really get your notoriety up way too fast. I've had 4 Den defense missions, one of which was scripted and another which was deliberately triggered and now I already have enough master assassins to keep them from coming alltogether.

SleezeRocker
11-17-2011, 08:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
The battering ram smashes through your barricades like they were paper. its so garbage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...realisticaly..that's what they were designed for :P

For me den defense is more of 50/50

It's an ok side project, it's engaging
but sucks that your notriety seems to go up so fast (even buying a shop gets you a quarter up)and only 2 means of reducing yet it only drops by a quarter or half. But..Iguess ion the ocntrary, it makes you more vigilant and people did wanted 'some' difficulty

luckyto
11-17-2011, 09:01 AM
I hear you, I do like that there are consequences to your actions. And I really like that my Towers get taken back. But if you are going to have that give-and-take, space out the "take" just a little more so it is present, but not grinding.

And in the end, I'm not upset that they tried Tower Defense. At least Ubi tried, which is more than I can say about Activision's COD franchise. Just please don't keep it. It didn't work, move on.

EvolutionIXMR
11-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Den Defense is absolute garbage and does not belong in an AC game period.

PhiIs1618033
11-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Luckily, I've always kept my notoriety low and I have a very low kill count in ACR, as per usual. No Den Defense for me, even though I only have one master assassin. :P

EvolutionIXMR
11-17-2011, 03:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:
Luckily, I've always kept my notoriety low and I have a very low kill count in ACR, as per usual. No Den Defense for me, even though I only have one master assassin. :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but the notoriety gets kind of annoying when it goes up for just about every little thing you do. Open up a shop and it shoots up. Then you have to go find a herald and lower it and the same process over and over. Very time consuming if you ask me.

burtie80
11-17-2011, 04:03 PM
I find extremely annoying to play because I cant seem to position things properly...am I not doing something right? I keep trying to move but it seems like it just pot luck where my men end up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Serrachio
11-17-2011, 04:07 PM
I think that the only problem with Den Defense is that it can be triggered so easily and yet the difficulty each time is bumped up quite a bit.

Altair661
11-17-2011, 05:09 PM
I've played it some, I don't really like it. I may like it more if it weren't for the awkward camera thing, it's better than I thought, but still seems out of place for me.

bpdunc
11-17-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry, I am a massive fan of everything to do with AC, I have spent an insane amount of cash collecting everything related to it, I even kind of liked the first one in its own way when most would say that it was a bit of a turkey, but this den defense thing is a total and utter pile of steaming horse****. When they roll out that big f*** off fire engine, you may as well have a row of chocolate fireguards between it and the den for all the bloody good that it does. I wouldn't care one bit about this stupid, totally random POC mini-game that Ubi has trotted out to try and appeal to anyone that still plays Age of Empires (cos that's the only reason I can fathom for it) if it wasn't for the fact that you actually NEED to beat it three times to complete a guild challenge and therefore achieve 100% sync. It is REALLY ****ing me off, and it takes a hell of a lot for me to say that about anything in an AC game. They don't get much wrong with these games, but by all accounts so far, they have F'd up with this. What were they thinking?

blacklimoband
11-17-2011, 08:19 PM
it was interesting the first time, "meh" the second time, "god this is awful" the third time, but the fourth.... Seriously, ramping up difficulty I can understand, but when I had all rooftop slots filled with crossbows and riflemen, 3 shots available in the cannon, 3 gun barricades and just the siege engine left to kill... HOW THE F*** DID I LOSE MY DEN!!!!

Schueler123
11-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Honestly i think that the Den defense game is nothing but an ingenious idea. Although there are many things that could have made it better.

My thoughts.
-You could have had the game/ unit groups in setup waves seperated by the building safe-wave for a short period of time.
(if chosen above advice)
-Ezio could have joined the floor battle between all the soldiers while his 'sins defended him and there den from the top.
-The seige machine would have a huge battalion of soldiers to protect it and the engine could be invunerable to ezios attacks until they are eliminated.

Either # (if not all) of these should be considered;
-Reduced morale cost for units
-Gain morale at a higher rate/per unit you have on the field
-Barricades are perfect cost but should contain more upgrades and possibly 5 units per barricade(2 could stand on either side and 1 in the center *4 units for greek-fire/cannon barricades because they should/already do start with 1 unit on them to operate the weapon)
- The seige machines damage needs to be scaled down OR improve dens Defence or Health
- Be able to feild more guys per rooftop or make the roofs themselves bigger.

Last but certainly not least, Why cant Ezio use his crossbow instead of/aswell as his pistol?

Schueler123
11-17-2011, 08:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blacklimoband:
it was interesting the first time, "meh" the second time, "god this is awful" the third time, but the fourth.... Seriously, ramping up difficulty I can understand, but when I had all rooftop slots filled with crossbows and riflemen, 3 shots available in the cannon, 3 gun barricades and just the siege engine left to kill... HOW THE F*** DID I LOSE MY DEN!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you still have Crossbowman on the field when the engine comes? It should all be Rifleman if not Stipler bombs or w.e they are called scattered all over the roofs?

and are YOU yourself as Ezio shooting it with your Pistol aswell as using the 3x Massive bomb strike on it?

AznHorrors
11-18-2011, 06:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bpdunc:
I'm sorry, I am a massive fan of everything to do with AC, I have spent an insane amount of cash collecting everything related to it, I even kind of liked the first one in its own way when most would say that it was a bit of a turkey, but this den defense thing is a total and utter pile of steaming horse****. When they roll out that big f*** off fire engine, you may as well have a row of chocolate fireguards between it and the den for all the bloody good that it does. I wouldn't care one bit about this stupid, totally random POC mini-game that Ubi has trotted out to try and appeal to anyone that still plays Age of Empires (cos that's the only reason I can fathom for it) if it wasn't for the fact that you actually NEED to beat it three times to complete a guild challenge and therefore achieve 100% sync. It is REALLY ****ing me off, and it takes a hell of a lot for me to say that about anything in an AC game. They don't get much wrong with these games, but by all accounts so far, they have F'd up with this. What were they thinking? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quote For ****ing Truth.

LightRey
11-18-2011, 07:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AznHorrors:
[Censored] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Both posting swearwords and quoting posts containing swearwords are against the rules. Please don't do it again.

indulgence82
11-18-2011, 09:30 AM
I really dislike the den defense. I bought this game for the storyline, intrigue, and stealth. I didn't buy command and conquer. The fact that they put something like this as a fairly pivotal part of the game has pretty much ruined it for me. I just turned off the game because the Templars contested again. Hopefully it didn't save as I'd prefer to NOT do it. Honestly really disappointed in this game for other reasons as well. But this by far is the worst part of the game.

Downnout24
11-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Did Ubisoft test den defense at all? This is so horribly executed that its taking away from the rest of the core gameplay. Please for the love of all that is fun in this game, give us a patch to disable den defense all together. At least give a little more time to bring your notoriety down before the templars attack. At this point I just let the templars take it and retake afterwards. If you are going to add something new to the game make sure it adds to the fun and not wreck the flow and feel of the game.

LightRey
11-18-2011, 10:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Downnout24:
Did Ubisoft test den defense at all? This is so horribly executed that its taking away from the rest of the core gameplay. Please for the love of all that is fun in this game, give us a patch to disable den defense all together. At least give a little more time to bring your notoriety down before the templars attack. At this point I just let the templars take it and retake afterwards. If you are going to add something new to the game make sure it adds to the fun and not wreck the flow and feel of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It has nothing to do with time. Only if the templars are on full alert there is a chance that they'll attack a den only when you again do something that would normally increase your notoriety.

Sarekofvulcan
11-18-2011, 01:51 PM
frequent visits to the speakers (those guys on the platform) en bribe them with 100 and you have less den play. that is what i learned. Because i also hate that part of the game. Defending you base has a nice ring to it but not this way

The_Sphinx
11-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Worst addition to the franchise EVER.

The controls are beyond awful, it takes too long, it's boring. The fact that it's obligatory is a stupid design choice.

It's simply not fun in any way.

RzaRecta357
11-18-2011, 02:02 PM
People are such whiners. Just beat the game. Did it 3 times and I beat it slowly doing everything. You can totally avoid it easy as pie.

iNJW
11-18-2011, 02:16 PM
to be fair, i wasn't particularly looking forward to den defense, i thought it would ruin the game, but its actually pretty alright, can be a bit annoying having to defend every half hour though and having "fun" with the battering ram... actually, it reminds me a bit of Age of empires strategy wise i suppose, but yeah, would be nice to only have to do it a couple of times in the whole game, i suppose it gives me something to do though while my "apprentices" are reaching rank 15 and therefore i don't have to do it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif overall i think its a nice touch to the game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-N

Altair661
11-18-2011, 02:16 PM
I only ended up having 2 contested dens the whole game, and while I'm not fond of Den Defense, I do like having to keep my notiriety down so I don't have to do it.

souNdwAve89
11-18-2011, 02:19 PM
I personally love den defense since it's a nice change of pace. It can get frustrating at times, but you could always go back and retake the tower and territory. If you guys don't like it, then don't play it. Whenever your noriety is building up, just bribe the herald or kill the Templar official. It's that easy.

SolidSage
11-18-2011, 02:27 PM
I haven't had to retake a den at all yet because I have been bribing heralds. But I am glad Dens can get contested just so I can go and retake them the old fashioned way, (I think).
I played Den defense once so far, it's the only thing in the game I am not a fan of (yet, maybe after trying it more?).

But they sorely needed to add a mechanic like this so there would still be a purpose to roam the city and jack the AI. No contesting was the biggest error with ACB towers. Once taken they were done, no replay whatsoever and that is the one thing Creed needs more of.
I like BAC's 'new game +' option, that would work well in ACR.

krudolph
11-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Den Defense is a terrible addition to the game. Just because the engine can do it doesn't mean you should put it in the game. It's poorly planned, poorly designed, and poorly executed. I had 2 Assassin Dens get contested because I didn't watch my awareness meter and just let the things turn over so I could reclaim them rather than suffer through another round of that horrible mini game.

LightRey
11-18-2011, 06:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by krudolph:
Den Defense is a terrible addition to the game. Just because the engine can do it doesn't mean you should put it in the game. It's poorly planned, poorly designed, and poorly executed. I had 2 Assassin Dens get contested because I didn't watch my awareness meter and just let the things turn over so I could reclaim them rather than suffer through another round of that horrible mini game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You didn't watch your awareness meter? Well that's ironic.

Animuses
11-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Does anyone else think that cannon the Templars use is incredibly cheap?

LightRey
11-18-2011, 06:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Animuses:
Does anyone else think that cannon the Templars use is incredibly cheap? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
After defeating that one you get to use them yourself y'know.

ccjrmac
11-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of AC and have been from the start. I love all the games and really haven't found anything wrong with them.....until den defense. First off, once your notoriety gets full finding an official to kill or a herald to bribe is damn near impossible. Second the den defense is lame. It should be first person running around using your assassin's and Ezio to kill guards, NOT command and conquer fail the way it is now. Third, the foot soldiers are easy to take out, however, once the catapult comes out it's pretty much a loss at that point because the assassin's can't do enough damage to take it out on their own, and that joke of a catapult NEVER hits where you aim it. And if the cannon actually manages to hit it by some miracle, it doesn't do enough damage to take the catapult out before it destroys your den. So now not only do you have an annoying command and conquer scenario to sit through, but the mechanics of it were so poorly designed that even being forced to sit through it MIGHT be mediocre at best if it were winable, but being forced to endure something that you know you're going to lose because of it's crappy design makes me not want to even try. I just sit and do nothing until it's over then I retake the den. I did 3 den defenses just to see if I was missing something and tried different strategies with the same result. Get rid of the den defense crap or redesign it into a kickass first person all out fight to the death the way the game was meant to be played and enjoyed.

ChiefPigmy
11-18-2011, 07:12 PM
I liked the addition of den defence... despite the fact I did all the Templar Dens straight away for the viewpoints and ended up having to go and defend the den after every mission...
I think it was a good idea but there needs to be limitations such as how often your den can be attacked and how many times, or maybe you should have to defend your den a certain amount of times before your leader has the knowledge to do it themselves

ChiefPigmy
11-18-2011, 07:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ccjrmac:
I'm a HUGE fan of AC and have been from the start. I love all the games and really haven't found anything wrong with them.....until den defense. First off, once your notoriety gets full finding an official to kill or a herald to bribe is damn near impossible. Second the den defense is lame. It should be first person running around using your assassin's and Ezio to kill guards, NOT command and conquer fail the way it is now. Third, the foot soldiers are easy to take out, however, once the catapult comes out it's pretty much a loss at that point because the assassin's can't do enough damage to take it out on their own, and that joke of a catapult NEVER hits where you aim it. And if the cannon actually manages to hit it by some miracle, it doesn't do enough damage to take the catapult out before it destroys your den. So now not only do you have an annoying command and conquer scenario to sit through, but the mechanics of it were so poorly designed that even being forced to sit through it MIGHT be mediocre at best if it were winable, but being forced to endure something that you know you're going to lose because of it's crappy design makes me not want to even try. I just sit and do nothing until it's over then I retake the den. I did 3 den defenses just to see if I was missing something and tried different strategies with the same result. Get rid of the den defense crap or redesign it into a kickass first person all out fight to the death the way the game was meant to be played and enjoyed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I AGREE! but dont remove it, improve it, it has potential

ccjrmac
11-18-2011, 08:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefPigmy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ccjrmac:
I'm a HUGE fan of AC and have been from the start. I love all the games and really haven't found anything wrong with them.....until den defense. First off, once your notoriety gets full finding an official to kill or a herald to bribe is damn near impossible. Second the den defense is lame. It should be first person running around using your assassin's and Ezio to kill guards, NOT command and conquer fail the way it is now. Third, the foot soldiers are easy to take out, however, once the catapult comes out it's pretty much a loss at that point because the assassin's can't do enough damage to take it out on their own, and that joke of a catapult NEVER hits where you aim it. And if the cannon actually manages to hit it by some miracle, it doesn't do enough damage to take the catapult out before it destroys your den. So now not only do you have an annoying command and conquer scenario to sit through, but the mechanics of it were so poorly designed that even being forced to sit through it MIGHT be mediocre at best if it were winable, but being forced to endure something that you know you're going to lose because of it's crappy design makes me not want to even try. I just sit and do nothing until it's over then I retake the den. I did 3 den defenses just to see if I was missing something and tried different strategies with the same result. Get rid of the den defense crap or redesign it into a kickass first person all out fight to the death the way the game was meant to be played and enjoyed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I AGREE! but dont remove it, improve it, it has potential </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah I'm with you. I wish they would improve it and turn it into a first person all out blood bath war. it could be so badass. that's why I love these games, completely open (except when not allowed because of specific memory restrictions) and free to execute your mission any and every way possible (unless you want to get 100% syncronization). if ubi would make a dl patch that would turn these scenarios into first person fights that replaced the current ones, and charged for it I would totally pay for that kind of a change.

IHATEDENDEFENSE
11-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Den Defense blows. It is so "vibe" breaking. If I wanted to play Starcraft I would move to Korea. I have been an avid AC gamer since the 1st installment. This "addition" totally ruins the game for me. If I could at least avoid it I could live with it but if you upgrade a shop your notoriety goes up??!!?? WTH Ubi?. It is so lame just standing there playing a RTS. I want to free roam and be an assassin! That's why I gave you guys $60.00! I am so upset I am trading this in tomorrow and getting Uncharted 3. I am sorry to sound like a whiner but I have been so excited for a new AC game and this DF sucks so bad. IT RUINS THE EXPERIENCE UBI! FU#($$(#%K!

Chronomancy
11-18-2011, 09:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IHATEDENDEFENSE:
Den Defense blows. It is so "vibe" breaking. If I wanted to play Starcraft I would move to Korea. I have been an avid AC gamer since the 1st installment. This "addition" totally ruins the game for me. If I could at least avoid it I could live with it but if you upgrade a shop your notoriety goes up??!!?? WTH Ubi?. It is so lame just standing there playing a RTS. I want to free roam and be an assassin! That's why I gave you guys $60.00! I am so upset I am trading this in tomorrow and getting Uncharted 3. I am sorry to sound like a whiner but I have been so excited for a new AC game and this DF sucks so bad. IT RUINS THE EXPERIENCE UBI! FU#($$(#%K! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your trading it in for Uncharted 3?

Lol, your loss.

SleezeRocker
11-18-2011, 09:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chronomancy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IHATEDENDEFENSE:
Den Defense blows. It is so "vibe" breaking. If I wanted to play Starcraft I would move to Korea. I have been an avid AC gamer since the 1st installment. This "addition" totally ruins the game for me. If I could at least avoid it I could live with it but if you upgrade a shop your notoriety goes up??!!?? WTH Ubi?. It is so lame just standing there playing a RTS. I want to free roam and be an assassin! That's why I gave you guys $60.00! I am so upset I am trading this in tomorrow and getting Uncharted 3. I am sorry to sound like a whiner but I have been so excited for a new AC game and this DF sucks so bad. IT RUINS THE EXPERIENCE UBI! FU#($$(#%K! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, your loss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uncharted 3 is a good game but it's not free roam lol

but oh well, let him, let us enjoy ACR http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Altair661
11-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Before it was all "I can't wait to play it!" Three days after realease, 40 people hate it. I kinda liked after a few times, but it's still to outta place for me. But I love the strategy. (Big Red Alert 3 guy)

LightRey
11-19-2011, 04:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chronomancy:

Lol, your loss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
o.O
I thought you didn't like ACR?

Dralight
11-19-2011, 04:12 AM

You can easily avoid it if you don't wanna play it. I've upgraded plenty of shops and only had to defend a den once or twice and that's because i wanted it to happen. You talk about it as if the whole game is an RTS lol. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Altair661
11-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Hater's gonna hate. I liked Uncharted 3, I think it's GOTY, that or Skyrim. But you get more out of your 60 bucks in ACR than U3.

deadly_thought
11-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Den Defense blows. It is so "vibe" breaking. If I wanted to play Starcraft I would move to Korea. I have been an avid AC gamer since the 1st installment. This "addition" totally ruins the game for me. If I could at least avoid it I could live with it but if you upgrade a shop your notoriety goes up??!!?? WTH Ubi?. It is so lame just standing there playing a RTS. I want to free roam and be an assassin! That's why I gave you guys $60.00! I am so upset I am trading this in tomorrow and getting Uncharted 3. I am sorry to sound like a whiner but I have been so excited for a new AC game and this DF sucks so bad. IT RUINS THE EXPERIENCE UBI! FU#($$(#%K! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> the whole game is ruined from the SP to the MP to the storyline junk stuff wont buy the next one ill just youtube the ending

LightRey
11-19-2011, 12:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deadly_thought:
Den Defense blows. It is so "vibe" breaking. If I wanted to play Starcraft I would move to Korea. I have been an avid AC gamer since the 1st installment. This "addition" totally ruins the game for me. If I could at least avoid it I could live with it but if you upgrade a shop your notoriety goes up??!!?? WTH Ubi?. It is so lame just standing there playing a RTS. I want to free roam and be an assassin! That's why I gave you guys $60.00! I am so upset I am trading this in tomorrow and getting Uncharted 3. I am sorry to sound like a whiner but I have been so excited for a new AC game and this DF sucks so bad. IT RUINS THE EXPERIENCE UBI! FU#($$(#%K! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> the whole game is ruined from the SP to the MP to the storyline junk stuff wont buy the next one ill just youtube the ending </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We don't care.

Altair661
11-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Did he make a double account?

LightRey
11-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Did he make a double account? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not unlikely. If he did then there will be consequences.

ZeefUbi_
11-19-2011, 05:06 PM
so many questions right now.

where do i go to recruit new assassins? is there a special place where i can find recruits. i found on youtube that you have to find liek citizens that are fighting with gaurds but i havent found anyone being attacked yet for me to help.

and in den defense it wont let me put riflemen on roofs. i can only put them on barricades for some reason. is there something i'm doing wrong?

and where is the best spot to aim my bombs on the flamethrower thing? i drop bombs on it and it seems to do nothing to it

ok i figured out how to put riflemen on the roof but this flamethrower thing is still just walking through bombs like nothing

zhengyingli
11-19-2011, 05:18 PM
For me, Den Defense is a take it or leave it mechanic. Despite not being excited when forced to play the mini-game, I enjoyed the tension created by den defense. The only gripe I have was the clunkiness of the mechanic, namely the difficulty of unit placements caused by the camera. Other than that though, why not? Templars taking over Assassin territory's like turf wars? Hell, yes!

Altair661
11-19-2011, 05:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ZeefUbi_:

where do i go to recruit new assassins? is there a special place where i can find recruits. i found on youtube that you have to find liek citizens that are fighting with gaurds but i havent found anyone being attacked yet for me to help.

and in den defense it wont let me put riflemen on roofs. i can only put them on barricades for some reason. is there something i'm doing wrong?

and where is the best spot to aim my mombs on the flamethrower thing? i drop bombs on it and it seems to do nothing to it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) There should be a symbol on your map telling you where to recruit new Assassins. You have to control a Den in order to open up two new slots for recruiting. Some of them will be attacked by guards, others will want to race you, and others you'll find pickpocketing etc.

2) Remember you have to put a "Master Assassin" (the Assassin Symbol on the wheel) on each rooftop in order to put gun/crossbow men there.

3) As for the bombs, you just gotta keep hitting it with everything you got. It has a health bar and it'll take more than one cannon strike.

ZeefUbi_
11-19-2011, 05:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ZeefUbi_:

and where is the best spot to aim my mombs on the flamethrower thing? i drop bombs on it and it seems to do nothing to it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) There should be a symbol on your map telling you where to recruit new Assassins. You have to control a Den in order to open up two new slots for recruiting. Some of them will be attacked by guards, others will want to race you, and others you'll find pickpocketing etc.

2) Remember you have to put a "Master Assassin" (the Assassin Symbol on the wheel) on each rooftop in order to put gun/crossbow men there.

3) As for the bombs, you just gotta keep hitting it with everything you got. It has a health bar and it'll take more than one cannon strike. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks a lot!
i'll just keep trying

Saqaliba
11-19-2011, 05:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had all rooftop slots filled with crossbows and riflemen, 3 shots available in the cannon, 3 gun barricades and just the siege engine left to kill... HOW THE F*** DID I LOSE MY DEN!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same. I really don't mind the idea of Den Defence. I like a minimal amount of RPG in AC games. And I like Den Defence up until the last wave. I have done 4 DD and lost every single one because the Seige engines just won't go down with cannon-fire, Rifle men and Ezio shooting. It just wipes out all the barricades too quickly to be able to recall the assassins and replace them with stronger artillary in the amount of time it takes the seige engine to take out the tower.

Another thing is the camera... it is really not strategic enough. I can't place troops were I want them because the cursor system is not specific enough. Can we use a USB mouse on this game? That would make it slightly easier.

Is their an easier way to slow the seige engines down? Getting sick of losing the D.D. And it's making me feel bitter towards the game.

I can't seem to avoid them either. The notoriety meter is maxed out after every Den Attack, and it is a race against time to get it down so that the Dens don't come under attack again.

SK Dirgon
11-19-2011, 11:51 PM
Really can't stand it, at all. It's aggravating, annoying, has terrible controls, and requires no real strategy and mostly luck and quick moving.

Until I realized that buying properties was kicking me into den defense, the game was unbearable to me. I thought it was just a set amount of time at 100% before you were attacked. Now that I know better, I can avoid this completely, so that makes me happy(somewhat)

The Hookblade is the only addition to this game from the previous AC games that was good. Recycling the Templar towers (with the amazingly annoying coward commanders) and adding Den Defense was a terrible idea.

For those that don't know: After getting 100%, either through capturing a Den, buying properties, etc, if you bring your notoriety back down to 0 before doing ANY other action that increases your notoriety, you will skip Den Defense all together.

Example:

Take out a tower. Buy the blacksmith. Bam, you just got attacked.

Take out a tower, bribe two guys and kill a wanderer, then buy blacksmith, bank, tailor, and doctor and you won't get attacked. Buy another property without repeating the bribing and killing of officials, and you'll get attacked again.

TLDR; Buying properties, killing templars, and some missions add notoriety. If Templars are on alert and you do one of these actions, you will get attacked. If you become hidden to the Templars again before doing any of these actions, you will not be attacked.

It's a huge time sink either way, but I prefer to not deal with den defense.

KageOfLight
11-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Although there are a lot of great mechanics in the game, den defense is not one of them.

In fact, I honestly HATE the den defense missions. I go out of my way to prevent them from ever happening, to the point where I'm spending more time doing secondary missions and leveling up assassins than actually playing the game.

It's ruining Revelations for me.

Assassin_M
11-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Most people who hate Den Defense never actually won a single game of it.

LightRey
11-20-2011, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assassin_M:
Most people who hate Den Defense never actually won a single game of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep. It's called ragequitting.

Animuses
11-20-2011, 03:21 PM
There is no reason to hate Den Defense in my opinion. If you hate the fact that it's in an Assassin's Creed game, then that's understandable.

jcoyle_hull
11-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Id just like to say the assassins wouldnt have a all out war thats why they were destroyed by the mongels and then decided to go underground as a castle attracted to much attention, the assassins are in the shadows supposedly killing without anyone knowing not attracting attention so that would be out of character.

As for the den defence maybe it didnt work for most people i happened to think it was okay just needs work on it, but Ezio (now a mentor assassin)it makes more sense for him (like Al mualim) to stand in the background letting his recruits do the fighting and defending of the base.

I however would disagree with ubisoft putting it in AC3 if the assassin we play as isnt a mentor as it would be out of character him leading troops like that.

Altair661
11-20-2011, 05:05 PM
At first it ignored the crap out of me, because I had turned some stuff on the hud off (I think it's a bit too much on the screen for it all to be on) and I never knew there was a cursor. So the first time it absolutely infuriated me and I hated it. But then I turned everything on just to see if it changed, and I saw the cursor...and I now I love it. It kinda takes me back to my Red Alert 3 days. While I like to avoid them, if I must do one I don't mind, I don't see what so wrong with it to everyone.

Technically, it isn't flawed. There's really no absolute difficulty to it. And it's relatively easy to follow. Unless you never play a Defend the Tower, or an RTS before...then I could see it get annoying.

At what I had seen before the game came out, I didn't like it. So guys just give it a chance, if you're a real AC fan you would. The Desmond sequences on the other hand...while I beat them all...if I had been shown it and never knew it was related to AC, I woulda guessed it's a new Portal type.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-20-2011, 05:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assassin_M:
Most people who hate Den Defense never actually won a single game of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won at Den Defense. I hated it while I was winning it. I still hate it because it suuuuuuucks. AC is all about movement. Den Defense is all about not moving. It's not AC.

Saqaliba
11-20-2011, 05:46 PM
^THIS

ACR is the stagnant one. No side-missions!

Douglas1980
11-20-2011, 09:33 PM
The Den Defense is, without a shadow of a doubt, the least favorite aspect of the game. I'm in total agreement. I honestly hope it doesn't return in the 2012 Assassin's Creed game. It should never have been implemented or designed into the game. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dragon
Addicted:
The Den Defense is not my favourite part of the game, but thatīs my opinion and maybe not the opinion of someone else, I hope that it wouldnīt return in the next Assassinīs Creed game. The hookblade however is a item that I hope to see again in the next game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sephrick
11-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Seems pretty much that all that can be said here has been.

Just wanted to toss my own that this sort of thing feels disassociated from the rest of the game, thus making it feel more a chore than a challenge.

Perhaps it's that I suck at tower defense games. But, that's why I don't play tower defense games, I play stealth-based games and RPGs.

I know Ubisoft needs to innovate to get through to AC3, but Den Defense felt awkward and advanced tactics are left for the player to clumsily discover.

I tend to just lose the Dens on purpose so I can retake them assassin style.

Animuses
11-20-2011, 10:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saqaliba:
ACR is the stagnant one. No side-missions! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Side missions do not make the game. The game is about the story. Blame it on annual releases and the short story. In AC2, you didn't even need side missions at all, they were there for extra gameplay aside from the long, satisfying story, unlike Brotherhood which side missions made up most of the game.

vorenus73
11-21-2011, 01:18 AM
I hate den defense. I always kick *** then get destroyed by the last siege machine. So now I just lose so I can retake the den the old fashioned way, and more fun in my opinion.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-21-2011, 02:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saqaliba:
Side missions do not make the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but they can't hurt in a game in which the story missions are so lacking in atmosphere.

I don't blame the annual releases and the short story - those are symptoms of the real problem, which is that Ubisoft appears to have chosen not to adequately staff/support a game that THEY CHOSE to release annually, so that, compared to earlier games in the series, it's too short and poorly crafted. Even with the best intentions, developers can only do so much when resources are tight, and in this game, it shows.

nqrith53
11-21-2011, 06:56 AM
I will add my voice to the negative, I HATE the den defense, what I do, is just let them take it over, and then go and kill the guy all over again, even with the cowards, it's still better than den defense, I have done it about half a dozen times now, and failed every single one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

DO NOT ENJOY IT AT ALL!

Altair661
11-21-2011, 02:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nqrith53:
I will add my voice to the negative, I HATE the den defense, what I do, is just let them take it over, and then go and kill the guy all over again, even with the cowards, it's still better than den defense, I have done it about half a dozen times now, and failed every single one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

DO NOT ENJOY IT AT ALL! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps you're doing something wrong? How are you dying everytime?

phoenix-force411
11-21-2011, 07:54 PM
I don't do the Den Defense too much unless the certain den is in a Contested fight for a long time then I'll intervene, but overall I like the Den Defense.

blacklimoband
11-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Well, I'm a total goober... after I realized that I have to actually direct the cannon fire I haven't lost a single den. Having said that, I still don't like the way this was implemented.

I do however like the idea that you must protect your assassin dens from templar attacks. It kinda makes sense that your actions will have consequences. But seriously, investing in a shop?

If the awareness system was implemented using the same rules as ACB that would have been a lot better. And the tower defense mini-game has a huge amount of room for improvement.

luckyto
11-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Really, you can't avoid it if you like purchasing shops. They should not add to awareness. I always thought that your shops were somewhat of a secret side business like mafia store fronts. And frankly, I enjoy free roaming and taking out guards - but I do understand that there should be consequences to running amok as a serial killer.

Plus, they just aren't fun, and that's the bottom line. I would say they are biggest mistep in all the AC games.

SwiftAura2011
11-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Side missions do not make the game. The game is about the story. Blame it on annual releases and the short story. In AC2, you didn't even need side missions at all, they were there for extra gameplay aside from the long, satisfying story, unlike Brotherhood which side missions made up most of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This deserves a BUMP!...IN AC2, YOU DIDN'T NEED SIDE MISSIONS BECAUSE THE LONG SATISFYING STORY MADE THE GAME!

*SPOILER WARNING*
I've said it differently in other forum topics, but AC2 beats all the other titles in the series because the awesomely long and 'in-depth' STORY BASED gameplay made it an awesome game, making all the side mission just so much more 'icing' for continued play after finishing the story. NOT like ACR...even though many things were improved, the Den Defense and EXTREMELY disappointingly short gameplay storyline were definitely NOT improved since AC2.
I have to say I AM EXTREMELY disappointed by Revelations... after all the awesome Trailers and hype about it, the only real improvements were in Multiplayer...and yet Revelations was made out to be the "BEST YET" for story gameplay yet is just as disapointing as Brotherhood, but at least with that title, most fans knew it was only a 1/2 game, unlike ACR that was supposed to be as epic as AC2 MEANING JUST AS LONG, IF NOT LONGER) BUT WASN'T.

luckyto
11-28-2011, 10:34 AM
It was WAY better than Brotherhood. I don't know that it is fair to expect every game to be as long as AC2. I will agree that it was too short... but only by short amount.

crash3
11-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Den defence is good as a one-off but unless it is greatly developed, I dont think it should feature in future games. The problem with it is that it feels like an all out in the open gang war, not some secret war behind the scenes of history. The war between Assassins and Templars should be more secretive

Schmagelborfer
11-28-2011, 10:52 AM
den defense is den defense, not assassin's creed. it plays like a cheap internet flash game but on a console with good graphics. shouldn't ezio be on the ground in massive sword fights with templars? the mission in ACB where you defend the thieves guild from waves of guards is what i thought den defense would be but amped up a little. i was wrong http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

luckyto
11-28-2011, 10:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Schmagelborfer:
den defense is den defense, not assassin's creed. it plays like a cheap internet flash game but on a console with good graphics. shouldn't ezio be on the ground in massive sword fights with templars? the mission in ACB where you defend the thieves guild from waves of guards is what i thought den defense would be but amped up a little. i was wrong http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel that way about the Assassin's missions and Mediteranean defense too.

Sevenofnine-st
11-28-2011, 02:41 PM
I really don't like that whole Den Defense thing and I suck at it so much so that when the time came for Ezio to reclaim a Den lost to the Templars, I didn't make any effort at all to try and win the mini-game and I reclaimed the Den the old-fashioned way: by killing its Captain one more time.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

apresmode
11-28-2011, 03:08 PM
I got pretty decent at the den defense, but I didn't really enjoy being taken out of the gameplay to some entirely different style. That might not have been so bad if it wasn't really boring, and semi frustrating too.

I hope they don't bring this back. Also, please no more first person missions.

roostersrule2
11-28-2011, 03:11 PM
I've actually started to like Den Defence. It was one of the only faults for me with ACR and now that I like it ACR seems better.

Sturnz0r
11-28-2011, 09:22 PM
if my dens are all defended by master assassins, how can i play den defense?? i kinda like it!!!

i tried killing them off in mediteranean, but they get injured instead...

Drybones20008
11-28-2011, 11:48 PM
I need some help with the big RAM thingy at the end of the waves that just plows through my barricade!

I just spent 10 minutes on my second Den Defense doing quite well only to have EVERYTHING screwed over the moment that thing ran through my stuff. 10 minutes wasted!

Bones206
11-29-2011, 03:26 AM
I love the Den Defence it makes perfect sense to me Ezio is old yes he is good but he is old now he can't take on a 100 or more guys that is just suicide so let the younger assassins do it while he just gives the orders.

Ragnarok0130
11-29-2011, 06:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">yeah I'm with you. I wish they would improve it and turn it into a first person all out blood bath war. it could be so badass. that's why I love these games, completely open (except when not allowed because of specific memory restrictions) and free to execute your mission any and every way possible (unless you want to get 100% syncronization). if ubi would make a dl patch that would turn these scenarios into first person fights that replaced the current ones, and charged for it I would totally pay for that kind of a change. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING!!! Heck I would even pay for this "mod" since I dislike den defense so much! However I don't see anyone doing this as it would most likely require a lot of work on the developer's part.

SwiftAura2011
11-29-2011, 08:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sturnz0r:
if my dens are all defended by master assassins, how can i play den defense?? i kinda like it!!!

i tried killing them off in mediteranean, but they get injured instead... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

@Sturnz0r: I have some bad news for you...unfortunately, once you've got your 7 Master Assassins they effectively 'lock' all your dens keeping you from having to do Den Defense ever. Also, once those 7 reach Master level, they can never be killed only injured.

If you don't care about reaching 100% Synch that shouldn't be a problem, however if you do want 100% you have some work to do because in order to get Full Synch you have to do 3 successful Den Defense misssions.

If all your Dens are locked you will have to start a new save game FROM THE BEGINNING, in order to do Den Defense, because you can't just go back and replay a memory since once you lock down all the Dens to the Assassins with Master Assassins, those Dens STAY LOCKED PERMANENTLY.

Drybones20008
11-29-2011, 10:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drybones20008:
I need some help with the big RAM thingy at the end of the waves that just plows through my barricade!

I just spent 10 minutes on my second Den Defense doing quite well only to have EVERYTHING screwed over the moment that thing ran through my stuff. 10 minutes wasted! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Halp?

LightRey
11-29-2011, 10:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drybones20008:

I just spent 10 minutes on my second Den Defense doing quite well only to have EVERYTHING screwed over the moment that thing ran through my stuff. 10 minutes wasted! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Halp? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Multiple barricades, lots of gunmen, upgrade said barricades and station people at them.

S-EVANS
11-29-2011, 10:59 AM
View this thread for help on beating den defense...

View Thread... (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/2381065369)

Sturnz0r
11-29-2011, 03:50 PM
before i start a new game, does anyone know if there is any upgrades after cannon barricaden, bombermen and air assassins?

ezio2411
11-29-2011, 04:50 PM
yes

SwiftAura2011
11-30-2011, 09:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sturnz0r:
before i start a new game, does anyone know if there is any upgrades after cannon barricaden, bombermen and air assassins? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just found this on another forum for the PS3 version of the game. http://www.ps3trophies.com/for...fense-challenge.html (http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/assassins-creed-revelations/6829-assassins-guild-den-defense-challenge.html)

I don't know if it applies, but you could check it out on either your DNA sequence for Guild Challenges or even within a den where you check which challenges are completed.
Basically he's saying that if you lock down all your dens with Master Assassins, the game will auto-complete all 3 Den Defense challenges for you.

Check your DNA or Assassin Guild challenge list to see if this is accurate or not.

TrueStoic
11-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Heres my situation; reached 100% full sync, got all the trophies/achievments, bought all weapons,books, armour,constantinople all rebuilt/ bought AND al my dens are protetced by lv15 assassins. so i canot play den defense anymore, or so i thought. i heard in an other topic that we can send asassin out to other cities, like even lv15 but if theyr 15, means they are or hav been a den master. AND they presumably disapear after sent to a country ( logicly..).So the den would be "empty" means avaliable for defending for ezio. havent got the time yet to try this out, could anybody shed some light?

lRushdown
11-30-2011, 11:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SwiftAura2011:

i tried killing them off in mediteranean, but they get injured instead... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

@Sturnz0r: I have some bad news for you...unfortunately, once you've got your 7 Master Assassins they effectively 'lock' all your dens keeping you from having to do Den Defense ever. Also, once those 7 reach Master level, they can never be killed only injured.

If you don't care about reaching 100% Synch that shouldn't be a problem, however if you do want 100% you have some work to do because in order to get Full Synch you have to do 3 successful Den Defense misssions.

If all your Dens are locked you will have to start a new save game FROM THE BEGINNING, in order to do Den Defense, because you can't just go back and replay a memory since once you lock down all the Dens to the Assassins with Master Assassins, those Dens STAY LOCKED PERMANENTLY. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen this posted a few times here and wanted to clarify. You don't have to start over, and never have to actually play any defenses (other than the tutorial) to get 100% synch. Once you lock all of the dens, the "complete 3 den defenses" assassions faction challenge automatically gets completed.

On topic: Den Defense is terrible. If I want to play RTS style tower defense I'll buy an RTS game. Please keep this out of my Assassin's Creed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SwiftAura2011
11-30-2011, 11:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lRushdown:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SwiftAura2011:

If all your Dens are locked you will have to start a new save game FROM THE BEGINNING, in order to do Den Defense, because you can't just go back and replay a memory since once you lock down all the Dens to the Assassins with Master Assassins, those Dens STAY LOCKED PERMANENTLY. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen this posted a few times here and wanted to clarify. You don't have to start over, and never have to actually play any defenses (other than the tutorial) to get 100% synch. Once you lock all of the dens, the "complete 3 den defenses" assassions faction challenge automatically gets completed.

On topic: Den Defense is terrible. If I want to play RTS style tower defense I'll buy an RTS game. Please keep this out of my Assassin's Creed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

@IRushdown: I already mentioned that just before you posted....

lRushdown
11-30-2011, 12:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lRushdown:

On topic: Den Defense is terrible. If I want to play RTS style tower defense I'll buy an RTS game. Please keep this out of my Assassin's Creed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

@IRushdown: I already mentioned that just before you posted.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, my fault. Well your post asked for confirmation, consider this confirmation http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. It does indeed work.

ProdiGurl
11-30-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm playing the game again the 2nd time around and I'm having a horrific time with this den defense system.
I really do like the concept, it's the flipping delivery of it that blows so badly.

I'd actually like DD if it wasn't this set up.
All I chronically get are red boxes where I can't assign people - they won't go where I want them & it goes to crap from there. & since I had to retake 2 towers over (back to back) due to my Templar awareness being high after torching the tower, I've been back & forth to 2 contested dens.

Then I lose the defense & have to rinse & repeat. I'm FURIOUS at this point and it is detracting from the awesome game that it is.

So at this stage, I've gone from thinking it was decent to get it the heck out of AC altogether - or FIX IT.
Signed,
Peeved off Fan

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ProdiGurl
11-30-2011, 04:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S-EVANS:
View this thread for help on beating den defense...

View Thread... (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/2381065369) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya I actually signed in here to find this thread after I blew a hissy fit about it first.

Thanks for saving me the time hunting it down.