PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts on RUB 1.4

pmckelvy
07-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Just a bit of rambling so bear with me.
First off, I wasn't a U-boat commander in WWII so I can't comment on the reality of the traffic density no matter how much I have or have not read. But a game and a mod that gets me excited about happening on a simple small merchant, wow. And each time they slip away or I send her under is exilerating either way. Because I don't know if I'll see more or not. Each fish, each approach is paramount. Especially that I play 100% and dead your dead. Moonless nights in RUB, I can't see ****. Deck gun, fogetaboutit unless they're already screwed.
Before I played straight 1.4 but edited the contacts to 10k. It knocked down the amount some but a little bit of hunteing and there something was. In summary, great game, brilliant mod. And also has anyone tried the internal mod at realsimulations? Does it work well with RUB? Bravo Beery.

Mac out.

pmckelvy
07-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Just a bit of rambling so bear with me.
First off, I wasn't a U-boat commander in WWII so I can't comment on the reality of the traffic density no matter how much I have or have not read. But a game and a mod that gets me excited about happening on a simple small merchant, wow. And each time they slip away or I send her under is exilerating either way. Because I don't know if I'll see more or not. Each fish, each approach is paramount. Especially that I play 100% and dead your dead. Moonless nights in RUB, I can't see ****. Deck gun, fogetaboutit unless they're already screwed.
Before I played straight 1.4 but edited the contacts to 10k. It knocked down the amount some but a little bit of hunteing and there something was. In summary, great game, brilliant mod. And also has anyone tried the internal mod at realsimulations? Does it work well with RUB? Bravo Beery.

Mac out.

Pentallion
07-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Glad you're enjoying it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jleslie1004
07-07-2005, 05:44 AM
I'm also using RUB 1.4, and although I've only got 1 patrol under my belt, so far I'm satisfied with it.

During this first patrol of mine, my patrol area was at the northwestern entrance to the fjords leading to Bergen Norway. I spent most of the time sitting right in the mouth of the fjord where the water was still deep enough in case I had to go deep.

It's 1939, so I figured I wouldn't see any convoys off the coast of Norway, and I didn't see any. I did, however, see at least 10 Norwegian freighters, trawlers, and fishing boats as I traversed the southwestern tip of Norway. I respected their neutrality at this point and didn't attack, but did make a few practice runs on them. I also spotted a couple German coastal craft too; the accuracy of that I wonder about. Nonetheless, I actually found one British coastal merchant trying to make it into Bergen from the southwest, but it was so dark I couldn't see the top of her masts to get an accurate range and all 3 of my fish missed.

After that, I was very disappointed because I only had 2 fish left and my crew was so worn out they could hardly reload the tubes.

Then, on the way back, with my tail between my legs and wondering what BdU was going to say, I spotted a Polish coastal merchant just off the northern tip of Denmark. Once again it was night, and I only had 2 fish left and I wasn't very confident at my night attack capabilities, especially since I am using all manual targeting and with missing with 3 torpedoes last time I tried. I had by now, however, adjusted my video card settings a little to add some contrast to the pitch black. I had a 3/4 moon and it was still pitch black, which I didn't think was right, so I brightened it up a tad. The tiny bit of contrast I gained from the minor video card adjustment was enough for me to just see the tops of her masts, and BOOM - 1 fish dead amidships and 2000 tons more for Davey Jones' locker.

I've played a boatload of computer games and sims over the years since I got my first Apple II way back in the day, but you know this was the first time I actually rose out of my chair and cheered when I sank that Polish freighter.

I must say, if a game can provide that much immersion, then I would say SHIII with the RUB 1.4 mod are right on the money.

Kudos to Beery and the rest of the RUB crew.