PDA

View Full Version : Radiator settings and engine performance

drose01
05-20-2005, 08:37 PM
How much effect do radiator settings have on engine performance?

Is it faster/more power to run 110% with radiator open or 99% with it closed?

How much of variation is there between planes?

Generally I've been running with radiator set about 6 to 8, closing it when I really need speed desperately and opening for prolonged overheat.

What do other people do?

drose01
05-20-2005, 08:37 PM
How much effect do radiator settings have on engine performance?

Is it faster/more power to run 110% with radiator open or 99% with it closed?

How much of variation is there between planes?

Generally I've been running with radiator set about 6 to 8, closing it when I really need speed desperately and opening for prolonged overheat.

What do other people do?

ClnlSandersLite
05-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Honestly, in most aircraft, the radiator does not slow it down all that much. I only really find it to be important during a chase or dive. If i'm cruising, radiator open. If I'm fighting and the plane tends to stay cool, I'll just close it. If it tends to heat up fast, I'll leave it about half open during a fight. During a chase situation, closed.

Something to remember: Radiators cause drag right? Well, the faster your going, the more drag will affect you, the slower you're going, the less it will affect you. Honestly, just cruising, the extra drag probably only costs you MAYBE 5 mph at the very most. However, when you enter the fight, your engine will be cooler giving you a couple of extra mins of high power before you over heat.

In a high speed situation however, having the radiator open can cost you a suprising amount of speed.

F19_Ob
05-21-2005, 10:56 AM
In combat situations I open radiator fully so I dont forget about it when in battle.
In all planes the reduce of speed is negible.
It's much more important not to overheat in the first place.
Some engines seem to overheat faster and/or faults faster.
Sometimes the engine may still overheat but I take every opportunity to cool it down, in descents or in clouds even in battle.
It's more dangerous to overheat in a slower plane than the opposition and in slow planes in general the accelleration is poor aswell. In a combatsituation overheating leaves U either very slow or with a faulty engine and there is no way to leave the battle if the opponent has a faster ride.
So, not to overheat is pretty important and if it happens, quickly cool down.

In my case I'm convinced that if I'm shot down it usually depends only on faulting tactics or bad luck, not the radiator or proppitch settings, but its good to know about their use anyway.
-------------------------------

One example that might interest U is that I flew the 109 for a long time. At the end I usually flew on 90% throttle in combat most of the time and only very short periods on 100%.
Often I din't have to use the boostsystems at all.
The result was that the engine overheated only if I had taken hits in it.

Now I fly mostly slower planes and they are much trickier to handle because of low power and accelleration and the idea is to keep as high Energy as possible with less throttle.
To quickly lose E and regain it again without full constant powersetting is difficult but working on it pays off in the long run.

a few thoughts..

VW-IceFire
05-21-2005, 11:27 AM
For dives and combat, its either closed or open slightly. For overheats I open and reduce throttle. For climbs and cruise its full open.

I tend to try and keep the engine as cool as possible until I really need it. Particularly in the Corsair.

Fennec_P
05-21-2005, 01:03 PM
On the Bf-109K4, radiator fully open reduces top speed by 50km/h.

This means 110% w/ rad open gives about the same speed as 100%, rad closed. But with 110/open, the engine will overheat, whereas at 100/closed, it won't.

Ultimately, there's no good reason to ever open the radiator flaps, at least on the K4. You get better results controlling heat via throttle settings.