PDA

View Full Version : REQ Opinions 'Luftwaffe Test Pilot: Flying Captured Allied Aircraft of WW2' book

Xiolablu3
08-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi guys, have any of you read the above title?

I am thinking of buying it, apparantly the guy gives his views on the SPitfire IX, Typhoon, P38, P51, P47 etc.

Anyone read it, and what did you think?

jolly_magpie
08-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Wow, sounds really cool.

stalkervision
08-04-2008, 01:57 PM
sounds as dry as month old Leningrad siege bread. Got any pics of pretty german girls in it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Monty_Thrud
08-05-2008, 10:29 AM
I read Luftwaffe Test Pilot by Hans-Werner Lerche, i thought it was rather dull, although a very naturally talented pilot, his book just doesn't come alive, even when he's in life threatening danger his way of writing just doesn't make you feel like it is.
He's probably one mother laid back bloke, just his way with words doesn't grab you by the seat of the pants.
I wanted to read as much as i could by the Axis pilots as there doesn't seem to be enough books written by them, or atleast not translated to English.
Still some interesting information but i doubt it'll be anyones favourite.

I'd give it 2.5/5

Xiolablu3
08-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks Monty, could you tell me, does it give his detailed opinions on the SPitfire IX, P47, Typhoon etc etc?

Monty_Thrud
08-06-2008, 02:36 PM
On the P47 and Tempest,P51,P39,B17,B24,B26,La5,Yak3 he only flew the Spitfire MkIIA and i can't say it was very detailed either.

For the amount of aircraft he flew this book should be a 500 pager, its just not indepth enough...sadly.

Xiolablu3
08-08-2008, 05:50 AM
Damn, I wanted a good, reliable, qualified German opinion on the SPitfire IX and also the Typhoon.

Ahh well, thanks mate, you saved me some money.

They definitely tested these planes, becasue just recently I saw Hilter and his generals walking through a sort of 'aircraft convention' probably for German aircraft manufacturers to check out the competitions designs and also captured enemy aircraft.

Hitler himself walks past a Spitfire and Typhoon parked up, and other planes are in view such as the Bf210/410 , theres a B17, and many other planes. There are people checking out each aircraft.

It was probably to encourage desingers to come up with the best of each design and to talk to each other about enemy aircraft.