PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: What are some fantastic air combat books?

cmorris975
09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Somebody on this forum recommended I buy the book "Clashes" to learn more about the air war in Vietnam, so I bought it. I am amazed by how much information is in this book regarding air combat engagements. It details engagement after engagement, the tactics used or attempting to be used, the efficacy of the weapons, not just the over-arching political doctrines of the war. It is such a great and well-researched book, I wonder what other books similar to this I am missing? I heard "America's Hundred Thousand" has a lo of detail on this level, so I just ordered it. Shaw's "Fighter Combat" has a weatlth of tactical thinking explored within it, which I have. Can you guys recommend any more? I am interested in ground and sea combat as well as air.

Thanks!

Chris

cmorris975
09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Somebody on this forum recommended I buy the book "Clashes" to learn more about the air war in Vietnam, so I bought it. I am amazed by how much information is in this book regarding air combat engagements. It details engagement after engagement, the tactics used or attempting to be used, the efficacy of the weapons, not just the over-arching political doctrines of the war. It is such a great and well-researched book, I wonder what other books similar to this I am missing? I heard "America's Hundred Thousand" has a lo of detail on this level, so I just ordered it. Shaw's "Fighter Combat" has a weatlth of tactical thinking explored within it, which I have. Can you guys recommend any more? I am interested in ground and sea combat as well as air.

Thanks!

Chris

crucislancer
09-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Are you looking for anything related to air combat, or something a little more specific? Some of my favorites are:

JG26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe by Don Caldwell Lots of info on JG26 from the beginning to the end, well researched.

To Fly and Fight by Bud Anderson I think the first 3rd of the book is about his war experiences.

The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann Fantastic book, I highly recommend it. Lot's about his combat experiences.

The Black Sheep by Bruce Gamble A complete squadron history of VMF-214, the first half of which details the squadron before Greg Boyington "borrowed" the number. Clears up quite a bit about Boyington as well.

The Jolly Rogers by Tom Blackburn I'm of the way through this one, quite detailed account of Navy squadron VF-17. There is a part of the book where he details the operations of carrier aircraft launch and recovery, not to mention quite a bit about the F4U Corsair in the early days.

An Ace of the Eighth by Norman Fortier The author's account of flying Jugs and Stangs in the ETO.

Woodbine Red Leader by George Loving The author's account of flying Spitfires and Stangs in the MTO.

R_Target
09-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Fire in the Sky by Eric Bergerud-Pacific air combat emphasizing the Solomon Islands and New Guinea campaigns.

Genda's Blade-Japan's Squadron of Aces by Henry Sakaida and Koji Takaki-The story of 343 Kokutai.

Red Sun Setting-The Battle of the Philippine Sea by William T. Y'Blood-A thorough account.

Buzzsaw-
09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Salute

If you want the unvarnished day to day facts about aircraft combat and losses, then I would suggest any book by Christopher Shores and his co-authors. (who include German and Italians who do primary research from sources in their country)

Those include 'Fighters over the Desert', 'Fighters over Tunisia', 'Malta, The Hurricane Years', and 'Malta, The Spitfire Years' as examples.

Enforcer572005
09-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Ditto on Blackburn and Anderson's books. Also Saburu Sakai's book (Mind block won't let me remember it).

One of my favs is "CActus Airforce", by RG Miller, about the 87 day siege of Henderson field. I based a cmpn I made yrs agon for CFS2 on it, and hopefully will do so again for this sim at some point.

Feathered_IV
09-09-2008, 12:25 AM
First Light by Geoffrey Wellum is a first rate account of BoB and Malta. Can't recommend it enough. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Phas3e
09-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Some kiwi pov

Nine Lives - Alan Deere. Spitfires from Dunkirk and beyond

Tempest pilot - Sheddon. Tempests late war

Spitfire Strikes - Johnny Houlton. Spitfires in Europe and off the Wasp to Malta and europe again.

Spitfire Leader - Evan Mackie. Spitfire in Europe and Africa, Tempests in Europe

Road to Biggin Hill - Johnny Checkets, Spitfires over Europe

The Three wings, Cliff Emeny. The only pilot to become an air gunner, radio operator and pilot, Defiant gunner to pacific mosquito pilot and POW.

John_Wayne_
09-09-2008, 03:49 AM
The Mighty Eighth: A History of the Units, Men and Machines of the U.S. 8th Air Force by Roger A. Freeman

general_kalle
09-09-2008, 05:08 AM
The first and the last by Adolf Galland about his career and the aktions of JG26
good view into the hopeless situation of luftwaffe,

Wolfpack Warriers
the USAF top scoring Fighter outfit the 56 FG known as Zemke's Wolfpack. the Squadron that flew the P47 thunderbolt all through the war.
very good book.

cmorris975
09-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Nice guys, thanks. Will check these books out and there reviews on amazon. I have that Blakcburn book as well on the corsair squadron; agreed with you that it is a good one.

I love reading first-hand accounts (and third hand summaries) of what worked and didn't work in air combat, how the planes performed when it counted the most. The struggle the USAF and USN were having with the NVAF in Vietnam was a lot more pronounced than I thought, I am finding out.

ddsflyer
09-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Samurai by Saburo Sakai, Thunderbolt by Robert S. Johnson, Tumult in the Clouds by John Godfrey