PDA

View Full Version : SHIII and GFX cards, which type?

colmaniax
02-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi, the card I have at the moment is a NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti 4600, witch I have been told is not compatable with max graphics settings for SHIII.
What is the best card to go for? Price doesnt matter, I would like to stick to Gforce cards if possable as I havent had any trouble with compatability with games. Also I read on the SHIII website ssomewhere they are using a type of graphic thingie 3.0? Sorry cant remember where I saw it. Supose what im after is the top-of-the-range card http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.
The system I have atm is :-
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1.25 GB ram
SB live snd card
and out of date GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128mb card.
Thanks for any help

u2336
02-22-2005, 11:35 AM
hi

I had the Ti4200 with a P4 2.54 and 512M RAM.
I just bought a 6600GT AGP (I can only use it on 4x, old motherboard...) and 512M more.
I am sure it will be enough for good settings on SHIII, maybe not max but good enough.
The 6600GT is getting cheaper and it is more affordable than a 6800GT or X800...

I overclocked my MSI 6600GT easily and got eve better results on the benchmarks, no temperature issues.
For all the MSI users, it is possible to get the temp information. Originally it was not available due to a BIOS restriction. I easily flashed it and now I have the temperature to check it during overclocking. Well I must say the MSI is good, good fan, I only got 62? after 2 hours on Doom3 with full overclocking.

Shan_Hackett
02-22-2005, 01:20 PM
If you are looking to stay in the Nvidia camp, then the only logical choice is the series 6, which currently are the only cards that support PS 3.0 (Which SH3 is optimized for)

If budget is not a concern then the 6800GT -6800 Ultra versions are the cards you want to be looking at.

Though the fact that you are asking about graphic cards suggest you haven't looked around for infomation.
For a, on the whole imformed debate on Nvidia cards look at this forum:

Guru3D.com (http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=9)

You will have to be aware that the latest Nvidia cards require extra power to run (Idealy your looking at a 350W PSU. for the 6600GT, and a 400+W PSU for the 6800GT/Ultra. Although manufacturer reccomendations are lower, but it wont leave you with much room to manouvre, and thus only add to overheating problems.), and also require a case with good cooling. Especialy if you are considering to Over-Clock your card.

One word of advice. it seems to be the concenous that the "XFX" branded cards have compatability issues and generaly substandard componants.

If you are not one for tweaking your OS or GPU, or are not comfatable enough in doing so, "BFG" group make a range of Over-Clocked cards out of the box. By all accounts for the average or novice user BFG are the brand to seriously consider, and thier Lifetime Warranty is second to non for support.

BFG Tech.com (http://www.bfgtech.com/6800GTOC.html)

JG27_Arklight
02-22-2005, 01:32 PM
SHIII is not optimized for PS3.0.

Where did you hear that?

Shan_Hackett
02-22-2005, 01:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:

Where did you hear that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

....From the dev' team. Im too busy at present to go looking for the entries, but PS 3.0 is supported. maybe i was taking liberties with the word "Optimized"

colmaniax
02-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi Shan.
Thanks for the info, yea I was thinking of the P.S3.0, I read it on the sh3 site somewhere but couldnt find it lol.
As for the cards, im not in to the tech stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
as there are so many cards out there getting the right type is hard if you dont know where to look. Also I dont know how to over clock them, the card I have got has a crude overclocking facility in the setup, but found some games run jurky. As for the proccesser it can be overclocked to 3gh from 2.4, but that means pulling the computer apart to do it :/ lol

As for the 6800GT -6800 Ultra and BFB Teck.com site il defently have a very good look tommorow.
Thanks again

JG27_Arklight
02-23-2005, 01:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shan_Hackett:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:

Where did you hear that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

....From the dev' team. Im too busy at present to go looking for the entries, but PS 3.0 is supported. maybe i was taking liberties with the word "_Optimized_" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is strange, all I found was this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>-Thunak- "(Zambet): Will SH3 run on laptops? im complying with the specifications: P4-2.6Ghz, 512 ram and Geforcefx5300 at 64 Mb
-SH3_Dev_Team- SH3 will run on video cards supporting Vertex Shader 1.1 and Pixel Shader 1.1. If your card supports this standards, it should work.
-SH3_Dev_Team- ;
-SH3_Dev_Team- = <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not that it matters since I have a 6800GT and X800XT PE. LOL

Though I would like to stick with the X800XT PE if possible.

If it does support PS3.0 it better run better then PF with PS3.0 turned on. I have a really fast system and I am still disappointed in the performance of PF with PS3.0 in use. With the amount of effects that SHIII seems to have it is going to take a lot more then a 6800 series card alone to make this game look and run well. PS3.0 certainly isn't going to "save the day".

ivoloos
02-23-2005, 05:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shan_Hackett:
....From the dev' team. Im too busy at present to go looking for the entries, but PS 3.0 is supported. maybe i was taking liberties with the word "_Optimized_" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, don't forget that, supporting a specific technology in a game, is something different then optimizing that game for that specific technology.

Shan_Hackett
02-23-2005, 07:36 PM
As I understand it. PS 3.0 is nothing "All That" in respect from PS 2.0, if folks already have a fast CPU and plenty of RAM.

It's something to do with the passover of pixals per layer. PS 3.0 just renders the mutilple layers in less passes.

I'm sure some other, more empowered person could explain better.

I'm sure SH3 will look equally as good WITHOUT a PS 3.0 card or enabled with the series 6 card users.

As for the PS 3.0 feature in PF. Anyone who knows anything about the IL2 series knows the original IL2 engine, although revamped for PF, was never writen with the kind of expansion that IL2 has now ultimately reached.
It's now an old engine, struggling to keep pace with the ever expanding technology...But I still enjoy a furball with it every now and then. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif