PDA

View Full Version : Help! Taking off!!

DarkCanuck420
11-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Ive done some searching about taking off from the carrier advice topics. However none of it seems to help. Ive heard such things as remove the chocks and click your heals. but this problem is much different. i watched the training video and after it said to go into single mission and try to take off from the carrier. so i say "cool." I start the mission and then i say that was easy im already in the air! I DONT EVEN START ON THE CARRIER!! the taking off carrier training mission starts me off flying! Am i stupid? did someone change the definition of carrier with sky? i dont know whats going on. If the answer is simple I would like to quote a forum member first "In here there is no such thing as a stupid question." (some guy/girl)

so if this is confusing its due to my frustrtion. here is a simple version.

I try the single mission, taking off from the carrier. the game loads. Then im flying, instead sitting on the carrier waiting to take off.
arg.

Athosd
11-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Check your difficulty settings - ensure take off and landing is selected.

Cheers

Athos

DarkCanuck420
12-01-2004, 01:25 PM
you see now that would make sence...I think i turned every thing off b/c never did a sim before and wanted to start off simple. a little too simple i guess. Thanks a lot. when i read your response a actually did laugh out loud.
thanks again! I'm sure you'll hear from me again soon!
NEWBIES TAKE FLIGHT!!!! *crash*

pendragon1984
12-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Suggestion: even when just starting out don't turn off all realism settings. You'll pick up some real bad habits that you'll just have to un-learn later. Best to only turn off one or two items that you feel may hinder the learning process. Maybe give yourself unlimited fuel and ammo, for instance, and leave all other flight mechanics on.

The "second page" of realism settings (external views on/off, icons on/off, waypons on map on/off, etc.) I'll leave to your discretion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DarkCanuck420
12-01-2004, 10:22 PM
thanks guys i turned the settings to normal, for practicing to take off. Really cool! I can do it no problem with moving carrier, but only sometimes on non-moving carrier. do i have to increase the mixture or something for consistancy? or is it just a matter of lining myself up to the middle of the deck as soon as possible? There sure is a lot of mumbojumbo i dont get. but i'll search the net for info, as well i hear that il2- fb and AE have more info i think ill grab them late december.
Thanks again guys!

Dr...Watson
12-01-2004, 10:48 PM
There are a few variables, thats what makes it fun.

Go buy AEP, IL2 ASAP, you will love it, I bought AEP and Pacific Fighters at same time and enjoy AEP more.

Line up on the carrier, if you are heavey and carrier is stationary then you will want to use a bit more deck, put in full rudder, full break, half throttle until the tail starts to swing, cut the throttle and you can spin round 180 degrees and taxi to the far end of the deck. YOu can give about 50% throttle holding it on the chocks although I use the wheel breaks as they do the same. Takeoff flap is a must, release breaks, stick forward to get the tail in the air to help get speed, gentle pull back as you pass over the edge of the deck and into the drink. The crazy way to do it is full power, no flap until u get half way down the deck then give it landflap and see if that works. Oh, and you can keep your wings folded until half way down the deck then open them up, the corsair actually flys well before the wings lock in position!
While you are learning u can use simple engine managment, but if you have complex, keep the mixture rich and prop pitch fine. This keep the engine revs up. Coarse pitch is used for cruise, mixture should be leaned as you gain altitude as there is less air up there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Messing around with FS9 Cessna 152 engine management is a good learning experience for complete noobs.

Then you have the supercharger stages which function at different alts for different aircraft...I dont have the data with me here, maybe someone knows it off the top of their head, you have to manually assign buttons for alot of these controls (supercharger, select engine 1, 2, all etc etc).

Cheers the noo

Athosd
12-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Hi DarkCanuck420

Mixture, prop pitch and super charger settings are part of the 'complex engine management' option (they won't have any effect if the option isn't turned on).

There's no need to push mixture to 120% - though it does give a small power boost at low altitude (generally under ~500m - above that it will start flooding the engine).

Otherwise you seem to have the technique down for carrier takeoff - full throttle, chocks away, gear up as soon as possible.
There are a few different ideas about how best to use the flaps when taking off - though setting them to 'takeoff' isn't a bad start. Retract them when you speed gets up to a reasonable level (depends on plane type - 200kmh+ (~120mph) generally).

If you get into PF then FB and AEP (available together in the Forgotten Battles Gold pack) are very highly recommended.
The merged install of FB+AEP+PF will give you 249 aircraft to mess with, 174 flyable plus 73 AI - across Pacific, Eastern and Western fronts (plus a little bit of North Africa).

Cheers

Athos

VW-IceFire
12-02-2004, 07:29 AM
My takeoff procedure is fairly simple.

1) Start engine, unfold wings if necessary
2) Open radiator to half or full
3) When granted clearance, open the throttle to 100%
4) Once the RPM's settle, release chocks, manuver to the center of the deck and keep increasing speed
5) Push slightly forward on the stick to get that tail wheel up
6) Just before you leave the deck, engage combat flaps.
7) Now give maximum boost to the engine close the rads, and keep those flaps out till you start gaining alt.

This seems to work every time for me.

Gato__Loco
12-02-2004, 04:06 PM
I would just add that sometimes I take off using the flaps in the "landing" position, in particular when my plane is very heavy (e.g. the Corsair with bombs and rockets). It seems that it gives a bit more lift than on the "take-off position".

And DEFINITIVELY get FB-AEP. Having the merged istallation gives you tons of options of planes, maps, missions, etc.etc.

DarkCanuck420
12-02-2004, 04:52 PM
thanks, it seems like PF is not really a complete game what i have read compared to FB.
I can take off from carriers now but for some reason taking off from a grass landing strip seems harder. strange. my plane bounces a lot and then the wings tilt and catch the ground. lol ohh man. its fun once you get up though. ill keep looking around and 2x check the manual. i guess i really need gold pack!
thanks guys this is one of few friendly forums with mature players.

Athosd
12-02-2004, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarkCanuck420:
thanks, it seems like PF is not really a complete game what i have read compared to FB.
I can take off from carriers now but for some reason taking off from a grass landing strip seems harder. strange. my plane bounces a lot and then the wings tilt and catch the ground. lol ohh man. its fun once you get up though. ill keep looking around and 2x check the manual. i guess i really need gold pack!
thanks guys this is one of few friendly forums with mature players. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taking off from ground based strips is quite different to carrier ops. The strips tend to be very long - which gives you plenty of time to get up to speed before rotation (pointing your nose at the sky).
The ground looping you are experiencing is normal for new pilots in this sim - with a bit more practice you'll get airborne without even thinking about it.

Again, there are a number of variations regarding use of flaps etc for take-off but here's a basic method that should get you going:

Flaps to Take-off
Mixture to 120% (optional - might shorten the take off a little)
Prop pitch to full fine/max rpm (100% in game - this is the default position)
Ease throttle up to about 60-70% and pick up speed.
Use the rudder to stay on course - try not to use ailerons (last thing you want is to dip a wing into the ground)
As speed picks up nudge the stick forward to get the tail off the ground - this will help stability.
Once the tail is up firewall the throttle and throw in WEP if needed.

Take-off speed varies quite a lot by type - but ~200kmh is good for anything. Gently ease back on the stick until you lift off - wait a few seconds (to ensure you are really up) and raise the gear.
Maintain a gentle climb (don't turn) and retract your flaps as your speed gets above 250kmh.

Once you have the routine down you can start being more aggressive and taking off faster etc.

For taxiing use the rudder and the wheel brakes - with practice you'll find it quite easy to quickly move from the parking area to the strip (you don't generally start in the take-off queue online).

Cheers

Athos