PDA

View Full Version : Markings on the Spitfire Mark VIII

VW-IceFire
11-06-2004, 07:23 AM
Another minor request that would be nice. We've got these fantastically represented USAAF/USN aircraft with their markings very nicely done (on a generic sort of level) but it'd be nice to see the Spitfires worked on a bit.

At least the Mark IX has a finflash when you select RAF...even if it and the roundels are the wrong color. The Mark VIII generic (which is an important skin!) is fairly basic and bland when you select the countries that use it.

It could do to look more like this:
http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/aircraft/images/T-Spitfire.jpg

There's a two color fin flash for RAAF units. White ID bands on the front of the wings and some (but not all) RAAF Spitfires seem to have a white stripe on the rear of the fuselage. And the teeth is a nice touch too...but that may be too specific. Still...it'd be nice to have a little more to the Mark VIII.

Comments?

VW-IceFire
11-06-2004, 07:32 AM
Couple of other items:
--> RAAF Markings:
Photo: http://www.airventure.de/aia2003pics/aia03_spitfire_16.jpg

--> SEAC Roundels (dark blue with light blue - used by RAF in the Pacific so as not to be confused with the Japanese hinomaru)
Painting: http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/03.5/P/images/09485.jpg
Photo: http://www.avions-de-legende.com/avdeleg/img/83D.jpg

Just a few minor references for everyone to see what I'm talking about.

Ruy Horta
11-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Skins are the least important element since you can even set the default skins in this series. OTOH nationality markings are a different matter.

Maybe its time for some "recommended historical skinpacks"?

I always find it a pain to look for good new skins, would be nice if there were a number of semi-official packs ready for download to cover special campaigns etc.

VW-IceFire
11-06-2004, 01:47 PM
You can change the default skins? Interesting...

Either way, we need a third party person to put together an updated skin that is suitably generic and yet has all the standard markings required. Or the developer to do it.

Its more complicated for the other Spitfire skins...since we would want to have the lettering generated by the games marking engine but replace the roundels.

BSR_RuGGBuTT
11-06-2004, 02:06 PM
How do we change the default skins?

Ruy Horta
11-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Go to the DGEN directory.

Here you will find *.DB files.

Inside you'll find some campaign parameters that the campaign generator uses to create missions.

Example for planes:

Chichi

[Planes]
10 F6F5
10 F4U1A
10 F4U1D
10 TBF1C
10 TBM3
10 TBM3AVENGER3
10 G4M1_11
10 A6M5C
10 KI_84_IA
10 N1K1J
10 N1K1JA

[Skill]
Blue:A2,V18,N15
Red:A5,V45,N5

Now if you want an a/c to fly with another default skin just enter the name of the skin you want to use.

10 F6F5 YOUR_SKIN.bmp

You have to use the exact case if I remember correctly. Works for all a/c, friendly and otherwise. You can also change default units that way and as you see here the skill ratio of the enemy and friendlies.

In this case you could spice up the Japanese by changing the ratios:

Blue:A10,V15,N10

Now we suddenly have Genda's boys to fight against instead of the usual cannon fodder.

Been a while since I changed these settings, and since I changed PCs I reinstalled the whole game, after they release the first patch I'll change all the campaigns to suit my personal historical taste again.

BTW, in this manner you can change also the planes you can fly for a campaign. All quite doable without special editors or tweaking programs (and more fun). Just take a look in the planes*.dat files. You only need a list of correct a/c names and you can tweak to your hearts content.

Actually I don't think I'll wait for the patch!

Ruy Horta
11-07-2004, 02:50 AM
BTW with the skins you need to make changes BEFORE your generate a campaign, or else (if I remember correctly) your changes won't work.

swingman
11-07-2004, 03:19 AM
More difficult to do something about are the positioning of markings. What about this one?

http://pterodactyl.fahller.se/cgi-bin/tmpimage?file=corsair.jpg

Nice letter 'G' smack in the middle of the roundel. It's of course no where near as important to fix as FMs and DMs, but it's not good looking.
_
/Bjorn.

Ruy Horta
11-07-2004, 06:04 AM
Dunno how to remove the default markings, but it should be possible to edit one of the dgen files to force the markings off.

Anyone know how you can do this?

VW-IceFire
11-07-2004, 07:37 AM
Still doesn't help if you are making a single mission or if you are playing online. But a good suggestion.

This is why these sorts of things need to be fixed by the developer.

I can see default skin options being abused for online play (everyone is flying a yellow duckling of a plane http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) and thus it should be closed off. BUT, it needs a bit of attention.

SEAC, RAAF markings on Spit VIII's...more correct RAF markings for B-25's, Spitfire V and IX's...etc.

jocko417
11-07-2004, 09:31 AM
You guys should be using the IL2-MAT program by Aces. It allows you to replace the in game markings with authentic historical ones, including other nations not normally supported by the game. Also gives you weathered versions, faded versions, and, for instance, the ability to not display RAF roundels at all - only the code letters will be added to the skin. This means you can choose a skin with roundels already present and the game will only add the code letters. With his new weathered RAF code letters on the way, the skins should look great.

Get it here:

http://www.leigh-kemp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index2.htm

There are a couple of threads on the next version at SimHQ.com, the forums are down this weekend for maintenance but you can look in the IL2/FB and PF forums for anything on "Aces' Artwork". So far the latest version will include corrected double letter codes for LW bombers, corrected Japanese national markings, weathered RAF code letters.

VW-IceFire
11-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Two problems for me with that:

1) Apparently doesn't work online. So its a no go.

2) It doesn't even seem to work for me. Followed what instructions were provided and never achieved any results. I applaud efforts by people to do such works, but I couldn't get it to work and it doesn't entirely solve the problem.

csThor
11-07-2004, 11:29 AM
It does work IceFire. It also works online, though that is a bit misleading. It is merely a modification of the visual representation on your PC.

A.K.Davis
11-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Yes, unless the server has skin download on (and all the players do as well), changing your skin online only effects what you see on your aircraft. Other players' aircraft will all have default skin, and all other players will see your skin as default, as well.

Speaking of the .DB files, what do the numbers in front of the aircraft modify (in the case, the number 10)?

[Planes]
10 F6F5
10 F4U1A
10 F4U1D
10 TBF1C
10 TBM3
10 TBM3AVENGER3
10 G4M1_11
10 A6M5C
10 KI_84_IA
10 N1K1J
10 N1K1JA

Ruy Horta
11-08-2004, 03:43 AM
Number of available a/c.

You can tweak a lot here.

if only I could find that no markings command I'd be in tweak heaven.

I prefer not to use additional programs if at all possible.