PDA

View Full Version : Not excited about BOB

Capt._Tenneal
12-23-2004, 07:37 AM
This is for other folks who, like me, are not excited that Oleg's next project is focused on the Battle of Britain. My reasons :

1) This is a very limited theater, no matter how historically significant it is or not. Yes, the Luft lovers will be there and the Commonwealth fans will come, but what interest will it hold for most of Oleg's American or Russian fans ? Yes, the curiosity of the new game engine will pull them in, but will they stay ?

2) Shockwave Prod. is already revamping the Rowan's BOB game. Oleg's BOB will inevitably be compared to this. Why go through the headache with all the " why can their game do this but yours doesn't " comments.

My humble suggestion is to make BOB but include much more, like the Polish campaign and Russo-Finnish War of 1940. That would bring in the Russian fans. For Americans, maybe some pre-Pearl Harbor combat flying for the Chinese ? The Spanish Civil War would be a good addition too. Make it some sort of "BOB plus".

But if it's just BOB at release, I'll buy it to support Oleg, but will continue to play the IL-2 series.

AWL_Spinner
12-23-2004, 07:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>..but what interest will it hold for most of Oleg's American or Russian fans?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By that token what interest would I, as an Englishman, have had in an Eastern Front simulator like ooh, I don't know, IL2?

People flocked to IL2 because it was the best there was. It'll be the same with BoB. And besides, you know that it's only the start of a whole new roller-coaster of theatres and expansions.

And it'll be heaven for cr@p-plane lovers the world over. Especially if reputed same-period battle for France, Poland, etc., expansions are the first out of the blocks. There's already considerable work modelling 3rd party planes for these so I think you'll get at least some of your initial expansion wish-list.

I think Oleg wanted to start at (almost) the beginning with his next project and work up.

Can't wait, myself.

I wasn't excited at all about Pacific Fighters but I still bought it!

Cheers and Happy Christmas, Spinner

Friendly_flyer
12-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Although BoB will be more than enough for me, I would think Oleg has learned to exploit the market by now. Surly, the scope will eventually broaden. Oleg is a smart guy, after all.

And: If one is going to make the ultimate WWII flight sim, is there really any other aerial battle to start from?

-HH-Quazi
12-23-2004, 07:58 AM
It will probably end up like what we have now. BoB/???/???

LStarosta
12-23-2004, 08:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt._Tenneal:
This is for other folks who, like me, are not excited that Oleg's next project is focused on the Battle of Britain. My reasons :

1) This is a very limited theater, no matter how historically significant it is or not. Yes, the Luft lovers will be there and the Commonwealth fans will come, but what interest will it hold for most of Oleg's American or Russian fans ? Yes, the curiosity of the new game engine will pull them in, but will they stay ?

2) Shockwave Prod. is already revamping the Rowan's BOB game. Oleg's BOB will inevitably be compared to this. Why go through the headache with all the " why can their game do this but yours doesn't " comments.

My humble suggestion is to make BOB but include much more, like the Polish campaign and Russo-Finnish War of 1940. That would bring in the Russian fans. For Americans, maybe some pre-Pearl Harbor combat flying for the Chinese ? The Spanish Civil War would be a good addition too. Make it some sort of "BOB plus".

But if it's just BOB at release, I'll buy it to support Oleg, but will continue to play the IL-2 series. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Open your eyes. There are at least three or four third party projects that I know of which will collectively bring in a dozen or so new flyables to BoB which will NOT be Battle of Britain related. Among these are September 1939 (http://www.9-1939.pl) and Battle of France (http://www.france-simulation.com/bof/). Remember, IL2 was supposed to be an eastern front simulator for JUST ONE PLANE, (not surprisingly) the IL2. But look what it has become today! Eastern Front, Western Front, Pacific Theater and a little piece of North Africa! With DOZENS of flyable planes! All in one game! Admittedly, it may take a while but once the game comes out I'm sure we'll see MANY a third party modeller making old a/c flyable or new a/c altogether. Patience!

JG53Frankyboy
12-23-2004, 08:23 AM
im still thinking that the most p├╝layers are injterested in WW" airwarfare in general !

so, it not realy depends what country is fighting in the game.

and if US can fly for china, they sure can fly in the RAF, what they actually did - not only Ben Afleck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

im also not a hufe fan of the fighting in BoB - but im looking forward to the new gameengine, what will be possible in, lets say a year (ore 1 1/2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

flyingscampi
12-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Cheer up!

Considering how Il-2 has developed, I should think the BoB game engine will be designed to easily accept additional planes & maps etc.

You'll rush out and buy it, you know you will http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

MEGILE
12-23-2004, 08:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 1) This is a very limited theater, no matter how historically significant it is or not. Yes, the Luft lovers will be there and the Commonwealth fans will come, but what interest will it hold for most of Oleg's American or Russian fans ? Yes, the curiosity of the new game engine will pull them in, but will they stay <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They said that about IL2. How wrong they were.

IV-JG51_L.Z
12-23-2004, 08:53 AM
I'll bet Capt._Tenneal's attitude will change when he sees the improvements in realism, i.e. dynamic weather, more realistic clouds, and big A/C formations like in RL as compared to the puny little sampling we get in PF, i.e. 32 player coop.

If all the above are accomplished, BoB will make PF look like a silly video game rather than an WWII air war simulator. Now's the time to start saving for your new BoB PC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PBNA-Boosher
12-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Are you kidding? Hell! There's plenty of interest for the Americans! What about the Eagle squadron? And if that's not enough, we get to fly early war planes!!! Just because there's only a few countries involved does not mean it's uninteresting.

DmdSeeker
12-23-2004, 09:28 AM
BoB is what I'm waiting for; I won't be buying PF.

Indeed; BoB is all I've ever been waiting for; it's why I first got into sims.

Capt._Tenneal
12-23-2004, 09:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyingscampi:
Cheer up!

Considering how Il-2 has developed, I should think the BoB game engine will be designed to easily accept additional planes & maps etc.

You'll rush out and buy it, you know you will http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did say I was gonna buy it (see my original post)! Merry Christmas to you guys, BTW. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Owlsphone
12-23-2004, 09:34 AM
I for one am interested in WWII as a whole. I find it completely fascinating and do not care what theater I fly in.

I also would buy anything Oleg made. If he stuck a piece of paper in a box and called it "Paper Airplane Combat Simulator", I would buy 3 copies.

Also consider the competition. The new Shockwave Battle of Britain is coming out soon. If it proves halfway decent, Oleg is going to try his best to make his BoB much better than the Shockwave version. Something tells me that Oleg's competition is only going to benefit us.

Just because it starts out as a BoB game doesn't mean that it's going to end there. When IL-2 was going to come out it was only supposed to be a ground attack game with just the flyable Sturmovik. I was happy then and look at what we have now.

Just try to think of it as a new beginning with a newer, better game engine.

LilHorse
12-23-2004, 09:58 AM
As an American I have to say that the BoB is one of my favorite subjects in WWII. If Oleg were merely going to make it a stand alone without the prospect of adding on I'd still buy it. Unfortunately I won't be buying it since I'd need a new hotrod computer to run it and a new rig is certainly not in my immediate future due to tight $$$$$$$.

LStarosta
12-23-2004, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
BoB is what I'm waiting for; I won't be buying PF.

Indeed; BoB is all I've ever been waiting for; it's why I first got into sims. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't hold your breath.

Buy PF, unless you enjoy being bored until God knows when BoB will come out.

SKULLS_Exec01
12-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Well I see a lot of BOB loves here and thats great!!! But I love the PTO and probably will NOT buy it and stay with PF till someone else does PTO.
Now if was a multi theater game and included PTO via addon's then yep, I would pay for the game and the addons - thats forsure!!!
Sorry I grew up on PTO movies and films and thats where my heart is.

Chuck_Older
12-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Cap'n-

Did you do any investigating about what will be possible with BoB, or have you just decided it will always be the Battle of Britain and you don't care for that?

Chuck_Older
12-23-2004, 10:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SKULLS_Exec01:
Well I see a lot of BOB loves here and thats great!!! But I love the PTO and probably will NOT buy it and stay with PF till someone else does PTO.
Now if was a multi theater game and included PTO via addon's then yep, I would pay for the game and the addons - thats forsure!!!
Sorry I grew up on PTO movies and films and thats where my heart is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, this is my point.

Do some searching around about what Oleg has said about BoB, you will be surprised

Chuck_Older
12-23-2004, 10:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
Are you kidding? Hell! There's plenty of interest for the Americans! What about the Eagle squadron? And if that's not enough, we get to fly early war planes!!! Just because there's only a few countries involved does not mean it's uninteresting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think if you check, the Eagle Squadrons were not formed until after October 1940

SKULLS_Exec01
12-23-2004, 10:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SKULLS_Exec01:
Sorry I grew up on PTO movies and films and thats where my heart is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, this is my point.

Do some searching around about what Oleg has said about BoB, you will be surprised <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well when Oleg gets close to nailing down the features, planes, maps and all the other details I will research it. But as for a general BOB sim, it still holds little interest for me compared to PTO. (but then again - might be bored silly on PF by then and need BOB just to as away )

Capt._Tenneal
12-23-2004, 11:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Cap'n-

Did you do any investigating about what will be possible with BoB, or have you just decided it will always be the Battle of Britain and you don't care for that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck,

As several folks here have mentioned and I've also seen in some threads, there is work going on BOB projects like Poland 1939 etc. That's all good. My first preference, of course, would be for Oleg and team to make them, but an approved 3rd party producer is OK. I'll wait. Maybe Oleg will surprise and include other maps and planes in addition to the ones that fought in the Battle of Britain.

I'm waiting to go back to the Eastern Front myself. The Emil is a fine bird but I'll be wanting to fly my Gustav again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif !!

csThor
12-23-2004, 11:05 AM
The reason why "BoB" was chosen is mostly the chance to start something completely new without overloading it with features/planes/objects that need complex debugging. It's a fundament (and it is planned as such) - rather few planes, a limited area and timeframe - and allows for in-depth checking of all features as the development time has not to be shared by myriads of planes.

VR_Ace_
12-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Well, being English, Pacific Fighters doesn't really interest me, nothing about the theatre does, but i still bought it and I cant wait for BoB

SkyPiggies
12-23-2004, 01:40 PM
And it'll be heaven for cr@p-plane lovers the world over

Amen!

I hope there are some Battles, Hampdens, Amiots, Potezes, Marylands, Farmans etc., along with the boring old Spits and Emils

Chuck_Older
12-23-2004, 01:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt._Tenneal:
Cap'n-

Did you do any investigating about what will be possible with BoB, or have you just decided it will always be the Battle of Britain and you don't care for that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck,

As several folks here have mentioned and I've also seen in some threads, there is work going on BOB projects like Poland 1939 etc. That's all good. My first preference, of course, would be for Oleg and team to make them, but an approved 3rd party producer is OK. I'll wait. Maybe Oleg will surprise and include other maps and planes in addition to the ones that fought in the Battle of Britain.

I'm waiting to go back to the Eastern Front myself. The Emil is a fine bird but I'll be wanting to fly my Gustav again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif !! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So the answer to my question is "No, all I have done is read threads here about it"

try and see if you can find out what Oleg Maddox has hinted at for BoB, and not from 3rd party modellers, either- from 1C:Maddox

sithgod
12-23-2004, 08:15 PM
I think part of it is marketing. The first flight Sim I really got into was Their finest hour. Garbage by today's standards but I liked it alot when it was new. I think Battle of Britain is a good marketable title.

However if it goes like IL2 has then it could well be the hub for other thearters. BoB will have alot of base planes. Spit, Hurrican, He-111, Me-110, 109, Do-17's, Ju-88's etc. From there it wouldn't be that hard to do Poland, France etc. BoB could become the center for alot of early war stuff. I don't think it would stay exclusivly BoB.

I don't mind 3rd party people doing stuff at all. even planes. As long as they meet the standard. I would like 1C to have to sign off on any 3rd party product produced. That way we are garenteed that they are happy with it. If a company submits an Invasion of Norway add on and 1C doesn't like flight modeling or the quality of some of the meshes then they send them back and say fix them. Only when it meets the standard could it be released. I could see there being unbalanced issues if there is no quality control. But I think BoB is going to be a new business model for 1c as much as it is a new game.

Recon_609IAP
12-23-2004, 10:55 PM
"2) Shockwave Prod. is already revamping the Rowan's BOB game. Oleg's BOB will inevitably be compared to this. Why go through the headache with all the " why can their game do this but yours doesn't " comments."

FYI, the developers of this Rowan's aren't really doing anything for multiplayer. So, basically we are talking about an old engine with some new brushstrokes on it. I think 1C:BoB will seem very next gen compared to it.

I had first thoughts when I heard this, but now I am really looking forward to it - and hopefully the new engine will allow for him to expand quickly to new aircraft and new theatres

PraetorHonoris
12-23-2004, 11:20 PM
I for one would like to see the Spanish civil war theatre rather than anything else - almost everybody's pilots were flying there and the planeset would be amazing.

On the other hand, CsThor's point is convincing.

SeminoleX
12-24-2004, 12:07 AM
I am an American and I don't have the least problem with another BoB release. We see so few new flight sims and rarely one of quality. Without a luxury of choices I couldn't think of dismissing any out of hand.

The early war period is my favorite and the BoB era is especially appealing because of the drama of the situation. I usually fly for the Luftwaffe because that service branch and it's aircraft have always fascinated me. Maybe I'm the reincarnated spirit of an downed He111 pilot. Who can say? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I think and certainly hope Bob will open doors for even more theaters for us to fly in. The Polish and French and Lowland countries campaigns would be nice. Flying during the Norway invasion wouldn't be all that bad.

Maybe even a Spanish War offshoot..that would be just too cool.

SkyPiggies
12-24-2004, 04:07 AM
Flying during the Norway invasion wouldn't be all that bad.

Skuas! We Want Skuas!

Recon_609IAP
12-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Agree SeminoleX

I don't know why people get this false notion that only people are interested in their countries aircraft. Personally I love this game because it puts me in the pilot seat of another countries aircraft and I learn more of the history, etc... it's really a great part of this game.

So, as an American, I love flying Russian, British, German, etc.. aircraft and would certainly support any flight sim from 1C http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CrazySchmidt
12-25-2004, 03:32 AM
This will quite simply be the best WWII prop Sim ever produced. Thats got me interested!! Oh hell It's got me pre-ordered.

CrazySchmidt. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dvergur
12-25-2004, 04:12 AM
Hi all !

BoB >

Just wanted to shoot in these two names:

Hawker Typhoon
Hawker Tempest
..the Hawker Sea Fury would be nice too but then IÔ┬┤m asking too much http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HL name: yamit

(Flying target, but always tryinghttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sithgod
12-26-2004, 08:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recon_609IAP:
Agree SeminoleX

So, as an American, I love flying Russian, British, German, etc.. aircraft and would certainly support any flight sim from 1C http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am Australian, at the moment I am flying a Hungarian campaign. But I am going to fly German, Russian, US, Brits etc. I have personal favourite planes from most of the nations. Basiclly if they have a campaign i'll fly it.

I would like to see the foriegn squadrons in BoB. The Eagle sqd, the Norwegians, The Poles etc. I'd fly those missions if they are included.

Chivas
12-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Even if I loved only the Pacific theater, I would definitely buy BOB to support Oleg. I'm sure if BOB's sales are good, it will expand to the MAW, Pacific, and Eastern fronts. If sales are bad, quality WW2 flight sims may die.

Zacast
12-27-2004, 12:21 AM
I'm an American, and I am very, very excited about the BoB. Anyone who knows anything about WW2 aviation can't help but be fascinated by the Battle of Britain.

Howie A
12-27-2004, 01:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zacast:
I'm an American, and I am very, very excited about the BoB. Anyone who knows anything about WW2 aviation can't help but be fascinated by the Battle of Britain. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's just how I feel. Considering the immediacy of defense for Britain's very survival, role-playing in their a/c will be an honor. There's no greater accomplishment within aerial combat.

Bearcat99
12-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Just look at all those people who said.."IL2 is an Eastern Front sim...NOT INTERESTED!!" two years ago. Where are they now? Many of them are right here haunting these boards like the ghostly trio. It amazes me how so many in this community forget who we are dealing with. I like to look at the track record of 1C and place my hopes in the product accordingly.

Wolfred
12-27-2004, 06:54 AM
HavenÔ┬┤t flyed the old il2+aep+fb sim "since my little escapade with the burnin hurricane" thats how the future will look with olegÔ┬┤s bob, hopefully i will have a sli mb, and 2 powerfull graphic boards, shockwaveÔ┬┤s bob looks ok to, but the objectÔ┬┤s look very thin like rowans bob.