PDA

View Full Version : E3, 07 demo. What they SHOULD fix.

sweetlou280
07-12-2007, 01:18 AM
I will start off by saying that the game looks awsome, each new trailer/demo I get more and more excited for the game;and it keeps looking beter and beter. Altair's climbing looks amazing, flawless movement. The new light effects adds just that much more to the game's already nextgen character design. BUT...there are a few things that they should fix before launch:

1) Targeting System
2)Red Flashing Enemies

Targeting System camera angle/graphics looks awsome. Flawless. BUT the electricle 3D outline really needs to go. It takes you out of the Crusades time period and...it just doesn't look good or fit in in this game. It made the game seem idiot proof. They should make it an option, if you are a stupid person and can't tell who the camera is following.

WHY why why the red flashing enemy. When Altair hits an enemy (not a blood drawing blow) the enemy flashes red so people who are a little slow...and can't tell when they hit someone don't get confused. They need to take it out, it once again pulls the player from the time period. It is too video game, which jade said that she wants to change the next gen gaming...they are going back to the arcade Street Fighter flickering enemy...thats a step back in my opinion. The more the game looks like a movie or (if you can except) real life.

Jade did say in the G4 interview at E3 they are still polishing the game. They debugged alot of things, like the floating dead guard. And i hope/imagine that they fixed the Altair bumping into an invisible force field around civilians (in the E3 07 demo, you can see this with the ladies with the water jugs)
So i am confident that they will fix anything that affects gameplay. What do you guys think?

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 01:43 AM
I was about to post a new thread but I guess I'll start by agreeing with everything you've said. The outlines are ****ing gay and should be removed. I'd also like to add some things to your list, though.

3) Animations: Sorry, but they are still not up to par. Freerunning and the kind of combat this game employs is fluid, the animations are not. In an era with Killzone 2 style animations (revolutionary mixing of rag doll and canned animations, all ridiculously fluid and working beautifully in PRE-pre-alpha) how can this game hope to compete?

4)Control Scheme: Read. http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/802/802800p1.html
Oh, first true next gen game, man thats so cool! I honestly don't give a **** when all that was on my mind throughout the entire article was "If its so next gen, why do we complete ridiculously complex manouvers by holding down a button and pressing the analog stick forward?" I mean, I'm no fan of the Wii, but how can Ubisoft expect to be next gen when next gen has been about increasing controlability!? If I wanted to watch a movie about the crusades, I'd do so, and I wouldn't have to worry about holding down a button! I really don't get how Ubisoft can expect to hype a game that hardly lets you control the action.

5) Animation Proccing: Certain animations simply don't proc, and altair just slides off lucky civilians. I don't know if I'll end up liking this or not, as most of the animations seem so blatantly canned and overused, I'd rather not see them too much.

Ubisoft has a lot of work to do, whether or not this game is built on exciting ideas and a cool time culturally and an awesome character.

Jade, honey, get busy.

EDIT: Also in the place of another full thread, who else was here... what was it, two years ago? When Jade was first making promises about this game. You remember what she said? Complete historical accuracy. If it wasn't in the crusades, it isn't in this game. Just look how far we've gone from the original goal.

assassinspen
07-12-2007, 02:06 AM
i hope they change the target system and the red flashing enemies because its stupid and it doesnt fit in the game

when altair fight to one guard the other guards just look at you and that isnt realistic i hope they change that because it would be cooler that al the guards fight you in one time so it would be more difficult to.

when an a water jug fell it looks kinda weird so i hope they change that.

i hope that the voice of altair will have a arabic accent.

it would be cool if you dont see so many of the same people walking on the street.

and when altair push an guard against an wooden pile the hole rack crash down at 4:36 that isnt realistic

I really liked the demo and i hope it will come soon but they have to change some things and then the game would be perfect.

Wanted_David
07-12-2007, 02:25 AM
One of the things I'd like to see fixed is the animation when you jump in the haycart. The hay doesn't really move and it's a little dull. Another thing I noticed is before Altair starts climbing a building (2:12), there's a glitch when he runs in one direction and then he justs pops up looking in the opposite direction (it's something that used to happen in Prince of Persia The Two Thrones, when you would give a quick nudge to the movement analog). The glitch happens exactly at 2:15. Take a look at it.
Oh, and one more thing, it's the sound quality (specially voices) a little too bass? It's not too serious, but it sounds like the voices were recorded inside a trashcan...

BaToUrYu
07-12-2007, 02:30 AM
Since you all are obviously at E3 you missed what the devs had to say during their interview and live play through with gamespot. The electrical stuff is part of two things, one part of the main story. They did not reveal how, but it was said that the particles were there for story reasons... Second it was there to help point out anyone of interest or threat... Meaning if they are a thug they will flash to give you a heads up in case they want to cause trouble... or you just feel like pick pocketing them.

You all act like this is a finished product, I'm sure for all the demos they have the usual "this does not necessarily reflect the finished product".

"An era with Killzone 2 style animations"? Frankly I was 10 times more impressed with AC then Killzone 2. If you actually watched what they showed during the press conference the animations of enemies were getting held up mid fight if you "stunned" them. In this, you bump into a civ or object, you will bounce. FLUIDLY.

As to the control scheme, I agree with what they chose to do. Having a button modify what would normally be you running into a wall to you interacting with the wall and running up it is a smart move. Otherwise you run into a very big problem that GRAW2 had. A set button that lets you automatically interact instead of running into an object is much more fluid in the long run. You dont have to approach the object at the right set of angles in order to get the desired effect, instead you automatically switch to the interact mode and poof your off.

The only slight thing I have seen thus far is on some of the ceiling beam animations your foot gets sucked into the beam just a tad, not much but enough to notice from time to time. That and of course the floating guard that you just killed.(thought it was hilarious he was still screaming 'dont kill me' while stuck)

Honestly, you guys treat this as a finished product yet state that they are "still polishing". Hypocritical much?

assassinspen
07-12-2007, 02:39 AM
I know it isnt finished but i just didnt like some things and i hope they will change it because when i saw that electic stuf it was a bit dissapointed. I know its part of the main story but its just weird because (almost) everything is realistic and then there are those flashing things around some people. So I know it isnt finished but i hope they will fix some things

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by BaToUrYu:
Since you all are obviously at E3 you missed what the devs had to say during their interview and live play through with gamespot. The electrical stuff is part of two things, one part of the main story. They did not reveal how, but it was said that the particles were there for story reasons... Second it was there to help point out anyone of interest or threat... Meaning if they are a thug they will flash to give you a heads up in case they want to cause trouble... or you just feel like pick pocketing them.

oh, so more gay sci fi **** and carebear warnings everytime something might happen? Oh yeah and horrible design regardless of why its there.

You all act like this is a finished product, I'm sure for all the demos they have the usual "this does not necessarily reflect the finished product".

I'm not acting like this is a finished product, I'm acting like this is a product that they shouldn't be proud of whether or not it is finished. BTW, Killzone 2 (Just because we all love it so much) is PRE-pre-alpha and looks much more polished than AC.

"An era with Killzone 2 style animations"? Frankly I was 10 times more impressed with AC then Killzone 2. If you actually watched what they showed during the press conference the animations of enemies were getting held up mid fight if you "stunned" them. In this, you bump into a civ or object, you will bounce. FLUIDLY.

Frankly, you must've missed the Killzone 2 releases and seen the AC CGI. You call the choppy combat scenes and rare proccing during chase scenes fluid animation? Be serious.

As to the control scheme, I agree with what they chose to do. Having a button modify what would normally be you running into a wall to you interacting with the wall and running up it is a smart move. Otherwise you run into a very big problem that GRAW2 had. A set button that lets you automatically interact instead of running into an object is much more fluid in the long run. You dont have to approach the object at the right set of angles in order to get the desired effect, instead you automatically switch to the interact mode and poof your off.

Please go watch a movie or something and don't ruin my game. The term videogame implies some sort of interactivity, and when all we get in the way of that is holding a button and watching altair do ****, I feel betrayed by whoever labels AC as a videogame.

The only slight thing I have seen thus far is on some of the ceiling beam animations your foot gets sucked into the beam just a tad, not much but enough to notice from time to time. That and of course the floating guard that you just killed.(thought it was hilarious he was still screaming 'dont kill me' while stuck)

So you managed to see his foot getting stuck in the ceiling beams and missed the stupidly choppy animation? Don't lie to me, or yourself anymore, give in to what we all know is the truth. This game needs WORK. Big time.

Honestly, you guys treat this as a finished product yet state that they are "still polishing". Hypocritical much?

Hypocritical or not, this game is not where it should be and we are trying to get that across to the public so the devs will stop being smug asses and start being devs who want to produce an AAA+ game.

assassinspen
07-12-2007, 02:54 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif Tlepolemus7 you are so damn right.

killerbee1992
07-12-2007, 03:04 AM
what i noticed is that when the lady drops the glass it just disapears..it should be broken in peaces

Mulle_DK13
07-12-2007, 04:00 AM
The first thing I saw when I started this movie, was when the camera rotated around the player, some of the windows disappeared on the buildings!

Part 1 - Firstly, the windows are there (only managed to get one of them on the screenshot, it disappeared :P)
http://www.assassins-creed.treesoft.dk/screenshots/ac_graphicsbug_part1.jpg

Part 2 - Secondly, the windows simply disappeares (so does the chimney)
http://www.assassins-creed.treesoft.dk/screenshots/ac_graphicsbug_part2.jpg

Part 3 - Then one comes back
http://www.assassins-creed.treesoft.dk/screenshots/ac_graphicsbug_part3.jpg

Part 4 - And then the last one too
http://www.assassins-creed.treesoft.dk/screenshots/ac_graphicsbug_part4.jpg

Hope they fix that! Except of that bug, it looks GREAT! Except some animation transition bugs :/

moqqy
07-12-2007, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Tlepolemus7:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BaToUrYu:

oh, so more gay sci fi **** and carebear warnings everytime something might happen? Oh yeah and horrible design regardless of why its there.

I'm not acting like this is a finished product, I'm acting like this is a product that they shouldn't be proud of whether or not it is finished. BTW, Killzone 2 (Just because we all love it so much) is PRE-pre-alpha and looks much more polished than AC.

Frankly, you must've missed the Killzone 2 releases and seen the AC CGI. You call the choppy combat scenes and rare proccing during chase scenes fluid animation? Be serious.

Please go watch a movie or something and don't ruin my game. The term videogame implies some sort of interactivity, and when all we get in the way of that is holding a button and watching altair do ****, I feel betrayed by whoever labels AC as a videogame.

So you managed to see his foot getting stuck in the ceiling beams and missed the stupidly choppy animation? Don't lie to me, or yourself anymore, give in to what we all know is the truth. This game needs WORK. Big time.

Hypocritical or not, this game is not where it should be and we are trying to get that across to the public so the devs will stop being smug asses and start being devs who want to produce an AAA+ game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well um.... about the "Please go watch a movie or something and don't ruin my game. The term videogame implies some sort of interactivity, and when all we get in the way of that is holding a button and watching altair do ****, I feel betrayed by whoever labels AC as a videogame. "

if you can do anything by just pressing a button it certainly is a videogame and very good one

iAltair
07-12-2007, 04:42 AM
The thing that annoyed me the most was the glowing/glitzying guards. But if that's just temporary for the story it's all right with me.

I agree with you all at some points. (pretty much all points) But I have some experience in creating videogames and I know that when you try to remove an error, another error much likely occurs. And when you try to fix that error two other errors occurs. It's hard to get it balanced.

And I believe the reason things just appears and disappears is; If it wouldn't - it would probably be too much to handle and it would cause heavy lag.

But I do think that after ~4 years (I think it is) of development there should hardly be any glitches or bugs at all.

EDIT: But I believe the game will be in spite of all that one of the best games ever.

skater1994
07-12-2007, 04:52 AM
sometimes a weart flashing comes by.
when altair climbs up a the ladder you see it.
and ad the end and begginning of the fight.
i think it is a passage of a new "scene" or somting like that.

moqqy
07-12-2007, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by skater1994:
sometimes a weart flashing comes by.
when altair climbs up a the ladder you see it.
and ad the end and begginning of the fight.
i think it is a passage of a new "scene" or somting like that.

and why did you post this here? this isnt information thread. and that flashing has something to do with the scifi elements ( -.- )

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 05:05 AM
if you can do anything by just pressing a button it certainly is a videogame and very good one

So if I told you that there was this guy who did all sorts of crazy **** and you got to play as him, then you bought the game and realized you basically just press a button and watch him do stuff, would you be happy?

I was under the impression that with the motion control and sound guided games, next gen was about more controlability, not less.

moqqy
07-12-2007, 05:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if you can do anything by just pressing a button it certainly is a videogame and very good one

So if I told you that there was this guy who did all sorts of crazy **** and you got to play as him, then you bought the game and realized you basically just press a button and watch him do stuff, would you be happy?

I was under the impression that with the motion control and sound guided games, next gen was about more controlability, not less. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. you can do whatever you want. you cant do that in a movie.

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 05:11 AM
I don't think you follow, Moqqy, from what I've seen in IGN's latest hands on review, the freerunning will be performed with the hold of a button and a push of the analog stick. You will not be able to decide exactly what he does, just in what direction he goes. This effectively eliminates any kind of skill or personalization to escape routes or chases.

assassinspen
07-12-2007, 05:15 AM
I hope that they dont put those sci-fi things in the game because that was stupid and they can change that so please jade dont put it in the game!

Gbucket
07-12-2007, 05:23 AM
Guys, remember that this is an early version of the game and there will be bugs/problems with the code that is shown. It's simply not finished yet. Please don't be too hasty and judge this game on what is essentially a buggy version of it, because it's not finished.

Try to ignore the bugs/issues you see on the screen and look to the underlying gameplay/mechanics on show, then you will see what the game will be like.

ScytheOfGrim
07-12-2007, 05:25 AM
i think that you guys are being a little too harsh on ubi. not to say that the glitches are understandable. the disappearing stuff one, im not surprised. the glitchy movements, maybe not, that should have been fixed by now...

in this preview from gamespy they say that you press the jump button...typo?maybe,maybe not...so you might not have to just push forward on the analogue as you hold down a button...

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/assassins-creed/803983p1.html

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Harsh? Its called tough love, I've been waiting for this game since it was first announced, I doubt a bad E3 is gonna push me off the bandwagon, but what we are complaining about isn't bugs and glitches, its core gameplay mechanics that the devs are simply not doing right.

I'll overlook the animations for now and I'm still confronted with issues. The targeting system is absolutely ridiculous, the control scheme is inherently flawed and the combat system looks very... eh.

I had high expectations, I'm worried Ubisoft as a company is starting to fall. I've not seen a game from Ubi thats lived up to the hype for a long, long while now.

The_Sphinx
07-12-2007, 06:27 AM
For all people complaining: you are aware of the Intuition mode, aren't you..?

Mulle_DK13
07-12-2007, 06:59 AM
It's always on!

boogymonster199
07-12-2007, 07:03 AM
in the 360 demo she was talking about all the different routes and appraoches you can make to your target and i was thinking "oh boy ill have the choice of whether i want to run across a series of logs across the roofs or to swing down and land in the crowd and try to act nonchalant" but now it seems altair automaticcly chooses, basicyl you choose whether you want to blend in or acrobatics, and then point him in the direction. the reason people are saying its like a movie is because you might aswell whisper in his ear "hide out with that monk" or "get over that roof however you choose." instead of having to [jump] [grab] [pullyourselfup][run] etc, its now hold in button and move in that direction. by control they mean slightly more buttons to be pushed so it feels like he did what you tell him instead of whatever the game engine tells him.

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 07:39 AM
boogy, we understand eachother perfectly.

Will you marry me?

moqqy
07-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by boogymonster199:
in the 360 demo she was talking about all the different routes and appraoches you can make to your target and i was thinking "oh boy ill have the choice of whether i want to run across a series of logs across the roofs or to swing down and land in the crowd and try to act nonchalant" but now it seems altair automaticcly chooses, basicyl you choose whether you want to blend in or acrobatics, and then point him in the direction. the reason people are saying its like a movie is because you might aswell whisper in his ear "hide out with that monk" or "get over that roof however you choose." instead of having to [jump] [grab] [pullyourselfup][run] etc, its now hold in button and move in that direction. by control they mean slightly more buttons to be pushed so it feels like he did what you tell him instead of whatever the game engine tells him.

it would be slow if you'd have to press every button. i dont care if i cant move the pinky of his left hand.

Sgt.Teeh
07-12-2007, 08:33 AM
I saw some strange this. That guy he was chasing, he has a bow. Why he doesn't defend himself with that from a distance. And on this trailer http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21513.html you see at excactly 2:57 some light it looks a little bit like dust but you see it various times after that. Before he climbs up the ladder after the fight and at the next ladder too and when the fights starts. Does anyone has a idea what this is? And freerunning is with flips and stuff, waht Alta´r is doing is called parkour.

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by moqqy:

it would be slow if you'd have to press every button. i dont care if i cant move the pinky of his left hand.

You don't care if you can't move anything but the general direction where he is going?

...?

moqqy
07-12-2007, 08:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moqqy:

You don't care if you can't move anything but the general direction where he is going?

...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah i do care, but luckily you can decide what you do on AC

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 08:52 AM
I mean during freerunning.

Tornadium
07-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I remember hearing somthing about if you are freerunning and you move Altair in a direction he will take the best path or somthing along those lines. Obviously you will have more control than alot of people are making out here.

It wont be one set path. Lets remember free running like this needs to be fast paced. If it was like PoP where you stopped every few seconds while bashing a button it just wouldnt work.

StealthShottz
07-12-2007, 08:57 AM
About this complaining on telling him what to do instead of doing it is complete bull. You do that in every game whether you notice it or not. Say you were playing devil may cry and you push a button so he does an animation. You may think you are actually doing it but in actuality you are just telling your character to. Same goes with all games, including AC.

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 09:07 AM
To the last two replies, I don't think you follow...

our problem is that altair basically just freeruns in the direction you want him to go, you don't get to differentiate between swinging from a pole or jumping off the wall or stepping on a beam or whatnot. The issue being that the altair basically does everything for you, and it is almost impossible to fail at freerunning, making a large portion of the game completely unrelated to skill and entirely related to how well you can hold down a button.

tschlosser
07-12-2007, 09:27 AM
I only have some stuff to say to all the people complaining...

Stop complaining!! Everygame has to have flaws, there is not one game out there without any flaws!! And the targeting system, so what, so the people sorta have a weird thing about them, what if the person was disguised, and looked totally dfferent, u wouldnt know who the hell you're goin after, and then u would just get more pissed and you would say " Why the hell didnt it show me who to kill?" And for the flashin red, i do agree with you on that, it is pretty gay. And for the free runnin, i mean cmon, do u want a game where u have stop every couple of seconds to do another thing or watch him do it smoothly, this is a game thats suppose to be different from all the other games out there, and in every other game, its all slow and ****. And once again, like its been said multiple times in this thread, its still a work in progress, i bet they are goin to fix alot of things, esspecially the glowing red, and hey, who knows, they might make it a slow "skilled" game, just for all of those people who are whining!

Boromir323
07-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Well I didn't really have any problems with the haycart, the animations, etc. The only 2 things that really annoyed me was Talal repeating his line, "Keep him away from me" like 5 times in a row, and the flashing guards. Other then that it looks beautiful.

Phreaky_McGeek
07-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Glitches (like that guard that goes into orbit and destroys a large wooden structure when thrown) need to be ironed out and I'm not too sure about the target highlighting, otherwise I'm happy.

racinemitch
07-12-2007, 10:17 AM
So far the game looks great except those outlines and flashing people. That's not cool. I have a couple more though (I hope people didn't already psot this because I didn't read everyone's post sorry)
1. the water jugs disappear right after falling, it is time that things don't disappear after 2 seconds.
2. When he kills that second archer (the one that gets stabbed) the body just floast in mid-air, why didn't it falkl down and create more blood on impact!
Grr.....I'll still buy the game though

~Mitch~

tschlosser
07-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Someone already said somethin bout both of those, lol

And for the stuff their gonna fix the stuff about the floating dead body, and the jug....they might change that, if they can see it, lol

StealthShottz
07-12-2007, 10:25 AM
To the last two replies, I don't think you follow...

our problem is that altair basically just freeruns in the direction you want him to go, you don't get to differentiate between swinging from a pole or jumping off the wall or stepping on a beam or whatnot. The issue being that the altair basically does everything for you, and it is almost impossible to fail at freerunning, making a large portion of the game completely unrelated to skill and entirely related to how well you can hold down a button.

The thing is though, where YOU direct him to go, he will go. If you wanted to climb a building, you direct his free run into a ledge and move up the way YOU want to. He doesn't automatically climb a path. You choose where to go.

Think about pushing a button everytime you wanted to climb something. That would be probably hundreds of times in every objective right? So I think they went the right way about this and made it where you hold down ONE button ( not one button hundreds of times ) and depending on variables such as speed and height, that is what you will accomplish.

Did you see in any of the videos all of the things he climbed, jumped on, swung from etc? There were soooo many, and pushing one button that many times would get so annoying rather than one button for a period of time. See what I mean?

And no it isn't impossible to fail at free running, if you don't have enough speed and height then you won't successfully make it onto the ledge. Your character does judge this I believe, if you don't have enough speed to clear a gap, then he will jump to something else or just fall down. Maybe he will attempt and fail, possibly hit his gut on a support beam?

This does lead to skill, it takes height and speed to clear gaps/grab higher ledges and it makes the player divert his path to find a smoother route with less failure at jumping.

I hope that answers your problems with it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

tschlosser
07-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Aight i can hear what yall are saying, and http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

But there is one thing i dont understand...

You press and hold one button, now with the analog, u can move the analog as you are pressing the button so u move in different directions right, so U CAN choose where he goes, and YOU CAN choose which path he take, what he climbs, where he jumps, ect. am i right?

SpyderNynja
07-12-2007, 11:02 AM
ugh, I loved every second of it, people need to stop nitpicking http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

PrimeUnseen
07-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Also keep in mind you have to see the path in the first place. How are you going to know to climb up the wall because there's a cross beam that throws you over to the next street so you can end up in front of your target? This game will be about knowing how to get around the city to get things done. I know I will be spending a large part of my first days with the game looking around the city and finding alternative routes for everything. It's not going to be a game where you have a 15-combination sequence to make sure you climb a wall correctly, it's a test of whether or not you know you can climb that wall and avoid the crowd and jump right down on your target.

spazzoo1025
07-12-2007, 11:14 AM
i whole-heartedly agree with swiftslasher7

you guys need to stop complaining so much about tiny things and just be thankful you're getting a game this amazing.

SmokehtheFirst
07-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Stop acting like *******es. All of you. Let's see any single one of you go make a game that looks this good, and if you can, I'll take back what I'm saying. There's nothing f***ing wrong with the targeting system. If the devs want it in, it's in the game, you guys don't have a choice.

Karl_93
07-12-2007, 11:56 AM
I whole-heartedly agree with PrimeUnseen, who will know how to go there in the first place. Who would have known to push that guard from the top of the building, (in the demo) so that the guards on the street investigate. I bet half of the people wouldn't have found that out without watching the demo first. So stop complaining, other than the usuall bugs, this game is amazing

spazzoo1025
07-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Posted Thu July 12 2007 10:56 Hide Post
I whole-heartedly agree with

hmmm, sounds familiar...

Karl_93
07-12-2007, 12:43 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif hrrmmm nope never heard of it before http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

RetiredHatch
07-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Alrighty here's how it works Tplimeous (haha i sooo spelt your name wrong too lazy to look it up) when your running along those beams... your holding a button down to run in the direction you want but WHILE your running along those beams you can switch to your hand button and you'll jump down and grab that beam with your hands and from there you can swing back up and continue running or jump down to the street and continue the chase from there..

when your climbing that wall you hold the hand button to grip with your hands and you shimmy in the direction YOU want to go if you want to continue up you push up on the control stick to continue climbing up or you can jump off the wall by tapping the feet button or you can do somethin with your hands i dunno excactly how it's going to work so hehe

yea you hold the button because YOU'RE telling him that you want to continue climbing that wall you gotta decide that and climbing isnt supposed to be the difficult part of this game it's supposed to be the scouting and the figuring out where to go and the planning like PrimeUnseen said sure you dont tell him to find a new handhold by tapping the button but what the hell is the difference between tapping the button and holding seriously?

and i guess to keep with the spirit of the thread... i didnt like the graphics (not the graphics graphics but the targetting system thing.... the graphics were amazing) with the targetting system around a guy with the thingy and computer stuff... and the jump into the haycart.... it was weird cause frankly i don't care if you land in a pile of hay that would kill you (you were pretty high up...) and the hay itself was basically not there.... it didnt have any weight to it and he just fell right through it it should've squished under him and flew eveyrwhere.... but y'know i hardly care about anything i just said >.> i just wanted to explain somethin to tplimenous

Bubarian1102
07-12-2007, 02:38 PM
I think the computerized glowing of the bodies is going to have some awesome story implications. I don't think this is a game completely about an Assassin in the Crusades. I think there will be some nice story twists related to those glowing targets.

sweetlou280
07-12-2007, 03:26 PM
As you can see Jade/developers, we are all kinda confused and worried about the game. I think it would comfort all of us if you released a new gameplay video, or Developers Diary Video on what you are up to. The latest trailer and what we saw at E3 didn't quiet match up. What is going on? Please

steveo1991_sj
07-12-2007, 03:51 PM
i dont understand why anyone is complaining...because all we are doing is looking at other people play and im sure none of the people complaining have played it yet so u dont know how it feels yet so wait till the game comes out or maybe a dem and if u dont like it..then complain

BaToUrYu
07-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Do you really think you would first of all be good enough to control every part of free running? The beam is smaller then the size of his foot! Meaning you have a small amount of time to not only signal you want to keep jumping but have the ps3/360 interpret the button and have the engine keep it going. It wouldn't be possible and would end up being so annoying and bogged down that it would be less fun to play then what your trying to say it is.

So you can't necessarily control EVERYTHING he does, that doesn't take out anything ubi is trying to accomplish. You would be so bored of the monotony of free running that this whole game would suck.

Ti.llama
07-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Tlepolemus7,

Thanks for taking the time to express many of the concerns that many of the followers of this game are having after seeing the E3 Demo footage- specifically the targeting system.

I would go further and say that I think it is important for UBI to reconcile the differences between the images seen in the E3 Demo with the information connected with how this game has been marketed and talked about in the UBI press statements.

For example- When they talk about this game using terms like Assassins, Crusades, Jerusalem, Immersion, Free-Roaming ect. it creates certain expectations that seem to run against the introduction of a targeting system that highlights the NPC in some weird matrix-like garble of bits.

I understand that producing a game that immerses the players into the role of an Assassin during the Crusades might not have the desirable broad market appeal and could (from an investment standpoint) require the addition of some out-of-place sci-fi connection that produces bright sparkles for the kids. However, this game really has not been marketed that way, and if the latter of these two scenarios is the reality with this game , Assassins Creed, and this title is more a mash-up of sci-fi meets old world- then I can tell you with assurance that all my hopes and expectations have just been burned at the stake.

-llama

altairiscool
07-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I am a bit worried about this game because of some of the things in it including the targeting and that stuff. Not because I really care about that or even will notice it. But I am worried about some of the fluidity. The game looks great and its not even done yet. But for the people who are saying guuuys what do you mean this game still is an early demo.I hope to god this isn't still an early demo because frankly... this is the home stretch. They shouldn't be making any big changes at all.

TheTrojanPig
07-12-2007, 05:53 PM
alot of you are really nit picky the only problem i had was the targeting systems and every now and the a dead guys leg would be up cause his body kinda froze or when the guy flew up thats pretty nit picky of me to but i didnt like when the guy died he flew up after he hit the scafolding thing that fell on him but theyll probably fix everything like that so im not worried about it. the targeting system is really wierd and in my opinion stupid i mean they should make toggleable (if thats a word) or they should tone it down a bit but whatever they do it will be the best game ever no matter what!

tschlosser
07-12-2007, 05:55 PM
I think yall should just stop complaining!

This game is amazing, and as i see it, none of you can do better now can you?

And for everyone complaining about the button pressing, you dont know **** about it yet, u cant diss it before uve used it!! Its gonna be amazing, not having to always continuosly tapping "A" or "X" To make your person climb up a beam, or run faster, or any **** like that, its gonna be nice and good with the whole only holding one button and CHOOSING your own path!

So, to all this that it is ****, listen, read, and see other peoples opinions, and maybe even play the game!! OH YAH, U CANT, SO DONT COMPLAIN!!

altairiscool
07-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by tschlosser:
I think yall should just stop complaining!

This game is amazing, and as i see it, none of you can do better now can you?

And for everyone complaining about the button pressing, you dont know **** about it yet, u cant diss it before uve used it!! Its gonna be amazing, not having to always continuosly tapping "A" or "X" To make your person climb up a beam, or run faster, or any **** like that, its gonna be nice and good with the whole only holding one button and CHOOSING your own path!

So, to all this that it is ****, listen, read, and see other peoples opinions, and maybe even play the game!! OH YAH, U CANT, SO DONT COMPLAIN!! i totally agree with you on that but as you said we've never played it so how do you know its gonna be awesome.I wanted to express how awesome its gonna be to but then you and I would be hipocrits.

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Morning everyone!

Nitpicky?

Nitpicking will save this game, buddy.

I don't expect the devs to listen to a forum board but I do expect the devs to listen to their community as a whole and thats the opinion we are trying to change here.

Smoke, you especially seem very... problematic when it comes to criticism. No, we don't think we can do better than desv and thats why its so important that the devs know of our opinions before they make any choices, so that we don't lose the chance for this to be a great game. I mean, how many other studies are going to come out with a crusades-based assassination game with freerunning in the near future? None I know. Criticism is a huge part of game developement and whether or not you like it, you should be a part of it or you're doing nothing but fostering false hopes and being generally annoying.

LLama, you know whats up.

Retired, if you can find me proof on that button configuration, I'll be a very happy panda. Thats one of the big issues I've had.

ArrowDynamicsX
07-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Let me think, I can either go everywhere very quickly by holding something down, or I can go places and get mad at my character for not doing something perfectly by pushing a lot of buttons. With the holding down, he'll go where you want him to, with buttons, there's no "why the hell aren't you grabbing onto that already" when you're not quite at the right angle. Splinter Cell Double Agent's Multiplayer, as crippled as it was, had a good idea. When the spies are running away from the mercs, you tap the right bumper. That makes you do whatever works best to get where you're going, like instead of pulling up your arm, breaking the glass with sound, then running up to it, jumping, climbing through, then jumping down, he just dives through the glass and falls down. MUCH faster than the previous games.

chewie1890
07-12-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm sure they've experimented with multiple forms of free-running before deciding on this one. I find it strange that people who have never used the controls, can find them over-simplified. From the people who have actually *played* the game, and had a good bit of time with it, have all said that the controls are awkward at first, but it slowly grows on you. The controls will seem weird because their not like any other form of control we've used so far.

Complaints about the targeting are more warranted, but according to the dev team they're a necessary part of the story. Personally I don't want something that helps move the story along to be taken out of the game.

Other people are just complaining about the Sci-Fi element of the game. I can easily tell you that this will not be taken out. It's the story they've decided go with and they won't just change the four years of work they've done developing the story because some people don't like Sci-Fi.

Criticism is fine. But some of the things people have been saying have NOT been criticism. But blatant nit-picking at the bugs the game has, and the targeting system. Pitiful.

RetiredHatch
07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Noname_X-189999
07-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Right to start off: I've watched this demo more times then I can count.... I love it to bits.... I really do... I mean I'm having a panic attack just thinking about AC's release.

HOWEVER, just because we like a game, doesn't mean we shouldn't ***** about it. As long as we're civilized about it hehe. It's important to provide the DEV team with constructive criticism (yes the magic 2 words from school) for them to work on the faults that they might not have seen, or thought people wouldn't like.

So here's mine:

Apart from the glitches mentioned throughout this thread (i.e., missing windows, vase not breaking yaddie yaddie,)I agree with everything Tlepolemus7 says. Well almost.... Here's what I'd have to change about his comments:

1) The highlighting/intuition/whatever sight targeting system:
It MAY follow the plot, help new players yadie yadie, and frankly I don't care if its in the game, as long as you can turn it OFF. If you have that option, great, those who want it on get it on those who don't, don't have to. I mean I know it may play a revelant plot point... but it just looks SOOOOOOO bad.... and besides, "SPIDEYS TWINKLE SENSE" isn't suppose to be in this game lol But as long as you can turn it off I'm not fussed.

2) Combat:
I actually couldn't complain much, I love the idea of defensive combat.... some cool moves. However, it did feel as if it will be a repeat of the following situation:

a) bad guys suround u
b) bad guy #1 attacks
c) you kill/block/whatever bad guy #1
d) repeat a-c with badguys #2,3,4,....

Although the actual combat move look kick ***, I have a feeling it probably will get repeatative.

3) Controls:
Okay... they are simple true... probably a bit too simple, I'll agree. Buttttttt (thats right you guessed it)... I dont exactly want the same system they had in, for example, the cut scenes in resident evil 4, where theres a slow-mo and u press a series of buttons quickly to react. It suited RE4 cutscences, but wouldnt for gameplay. It is in my hope they dont have up,down,left,right for example when climbing... Though I must say bravo, because designing a system for parkour/freerunning (IT'S THE SAME THING DEAL WITH IT), where you can move around that fluidly and move across the beams etc... and at that pace as well... is not easy.

Remember, all the whinning and b***ing, may not be the most appropriate of languages at times, but just because a game is gonna be good, doesnt mean we cant make suggestions to improve it. Besides, never hurts to make comments :P if they fix just one thing we put here, we'll be one point happier haha. Remember, "the customer is always king."

PS Soz for the spelling and english errors, it is 3.30 am lol! And did I write that much? lol wow.

chewie1890
07-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Well after reading the comments I'm really thinking a demo is necessary. If only to show the people who have a problem with the controls how good they really are. According to everyone who got a hands on the controls are weird at first but improve greatly when you get used to it...

I'll make a better post later, I'm on the Wii since I have no computer available...

ArrowDynamicsX
07-12-2007, 09:45 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif Yeah, Ubi definately needs to think about that.

TheMongooseDog
07-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I am personally in love with the overall look and feel of the game, and am incredibly excited about it, but I do have some minor things I would like to point out about the demo, and that I hope can be changed at this point.

-First of all is Altair's voice. In my personal opinion, I don't think he should talk at all. But if he has to, I definitely think his voice should be more like Sam Fisher than the Prince of Persia. Instead of, "Come down here and settle this with honor," I would prefer a gruff reference to inevitability.

-Secondly, I too have an opinion about the glowing highlights on the targeted characters. I don't think it's necessary to incorporate the sci-fi elements at that level. To remedy people's concerns and Ubisoft's desires, I propose this compromise:

The glowing highlights should be less conspicuous and much less hi-tech, so that they don't break the mood of being an assassin in the moment. To keep the sci-fi aspect, at the end of each mission, there should be an instant-replay-type feature, in which we are shown some of our best moves from the mission, complete with hi-tech slo-mo, freeze-frames, and commentary in the form of superimposed words and arrows. (If you don't know what I mean, click here (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs217&d=07285&f=creed5.png) for a rough mock-up I made from a screenshot.)

-Thirdly, I'd like to address some things that weren't actually evident in the demo video, but that IGN mentioned seeing in their Hands-On, namely the HUD. I was hoping this game would be HUD-free. I think the inclusion of highlights makes a minimap completely unnecessary, let alone mood breaking. The player should have to depend only their pre-mission scouting to know where everything and everyone is. IGN also mentioned a guard alert-level meter, which I think is also very out-of-place and mood-breaking. From their article I get the impressions that, 1) it is easy to judge guards' level of alertness simply by looking at them, and that 2) escaping the guards is simply a matter of breaking line-of-sight for an appropriate amount of time. Those two things seem to make a meter unnecessary. (On another note, I don't know if there is planned to be an ammo meter in the HUD, but that too would strike me as unnecessary, since you can clearly see what weapons Altair has left on his body.)

Perhaps a higher difficulty level could remove the HUD?

Anyways, I hope that my recommendations are simple enough to be considered, and, ideally, to be implemented before release (I would gladly wait another month to see the changes I mentioned). Even if my recommendations aren't taken to heart, I'd like to at least see some response from Ubisoft in this thread in the near future, as there are obviously quite a few of us who would like some official answers.

Thank you very much,
TheMongooseDog

EDIT: Realized the glowing highlights were the targeting system and not a way indicate important characters, and reworded accordingly.

gotjapanka
07-12-2007, 11:10 PM
I am not criticizing, I love this game and I love everything Ubisoft is trying to do with it. Honestly, first next-gen experience in terms of gameplay.

That electro-glow with the electric flashing every time you make a decision is very distracting from what could be a perfectly flawless transition and gaming experience.

the red flashing on the bodies ALSO needs to go.

I remember the first time she demoed the game in motion, it looked wonderful.

AT LEAST give the player the option to turn off those annoying electro flashes and the HUD.

I understand it is part of the storyline, but surely there is another way to convey or present the idea. It is really taking away from the immersion experience.

and those who are bashing those who are making constructive criticism comments should stop acting so childish, and understand that the team probably would like to hear our feedback.

TheTrojanPig
07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

AoKH_newIdea
07-13-2007, 12:00 AM
-Secondly, I too have an opinion about the glowing highlights on the targeted characters. I don't think it's necessary to incorporate the sci-fi elements at that level. To remedy people's concerns and Ubisoft's desires, I propose this compromise:

The glowing highlights should be less conspicuous and much less hi-tech, so that they don't break the mood of being an assassin in the moment.
At first glance this (oh-so-popular) concern seems pretty fair, but you--and most people for that matter--are neglecting the other possible reasons for the highlighting system being so pronounced. You say, or at least imply that you would like to be fully immersed in this idea that you're an assassin, but what if the storyline in the game makes you want to be immersed in simply thinking you're an assassin in an artificial manner? Perhaps the storyline opens a door that has you wanting all the sci-fi details you can get. Afterall, we're still very-much in the dark about the complete story.

Personally, I'm going to trust Ubi on this issue. Plus, I'm starting to like it (didn't at first).

Smidy13
07-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by RetiredHatch:
...when your running along those beams... your holding a button down to run in the direction you want but WHILE your running along those beams you can switch to your hand button and you'll jump down and grab that beam with your hands and from there you can swing back up and continue running or jump down to the street and continue the chase from there...

Yup this is how I understood the control scheme worked Tlepolemus7 check out http://www.gametrailers.com/player/13511.html at around 2:45 in Jade talks about being able to swing under a beam or run over. Also at 4:25 you can see him vault the wall when it looks like if he was holding the feet button he could of jumped over.

Other than that I think this game looks awesome as it is and if I was Ubisoft I'd be concentrating on bugs and glitches http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TheMongooseDog
07-13-2007, 12:26 AM
To AoKH:

I was basically holding my tongue and trying to find a compromise.

To be completely honest, I think the whole sci-fi angle is complete ****. I got interested in this game thinking it was a purely historical one, and all the sci-fi stuff has been terribly disheartening. I think a game about an assassin during the Crusades, with all the other non-sci-fi features they have, could totally stand on its own, and I would buy it in a heartbeat. But unfortunately, the sci-fi stuff is at serious risk of turning me off from the game. I just watched the extended E3 gameplay demo from Gamespot, and the whole time the stupid futuristic biorythym/alert-meter/whatever thing was pissing me off.

I just realize there's no point in complaining about the sci-fi element, and the best I can do is plead my case to keep it out of the normal gameplay and restricted to a more framing role.

EDIT: And don't think I'm so opposed to the idea because I don't like sci-fi; quite the opposite, in fact. I just think that in this case the melding of the two genres is not only completely unnecessary, but that it cheapens the whole experience.

Tlepolemus7
07-13-2007, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Smidy13:
Yup this is how I understood the control scheme worked Tlepolemus7 check out http://www.gametrailers.com/player/13511.html at around 2:45 in Jade talks about being able to swing under a beam or run over. Also at 4:25 you can see him vault the wall when it looks like if he was holding the feet button he could of jumped over.

Other than that I think this game looks awesome as it is and if I was Ubisoft I'd be concentrating on bugs and glitches http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I see, I see, I see!

More controlability than I expected. Maybe not as much as I'd like, but more than I expected.

But maybe not...

On further inspection of the video, at 2:45 the reasons for grabbing with his hands may be the players decision, as Jade says, or may be the fact that altair began falling short and had to catch himself. I think it may be the latter, and I'd prefer if she would have spoken a little more about that.

At 4:25 I think he could have possibly not been holding the freerun button at all, maybe instead pressing the hand button.

There is still hope for the controls, I won't deny that, but I'd really prefer game sites and the devs themselves to shine some light on this awkward subject instead of completely ignoring.

StealthShottz
07-13-2007, 02:48 AM
I am sure the game's controls will flow completely perfect. If you didn't hold the button down, then you would have to push it hundreds of times making the experience choppy.

Noname_X-189999
07-13-2007, 03:10 AM
Right I'm going to sum it up in a very small phrase and I think the symbolism of what everyone wants is clear. Please also note that the whole sci-fi idea is NOT confirmed, so you might be alllllll wrong muahahaha. BUT if it were the case, here's a line I found... most appropriate:

DEV Team needs to move away from MGS and towards ICO.

danny.b87
07-13-2007, 05:19 AM
but i dont get the flashing thingy around the peeps.. is that so you know they are targets or something
because i like the game in the beginning better where you had you intuition like pressing a button and the screens goes grey and the target outlines a white glow....

thats way better then that everything is glowing an stuff...

oh oh oh and btw: wheres all the blood you only see it when he kills someone and no blood on the ground or something just a splash of blood not the realistic and tought they where aiming for realistic gameplay

well thats the only thing i wanted to say
other then that the game looks great and i finally heard altairs voice and i think i suits him well

Jack_Vykios
07-13-2007, 05:51 AM
Jesus Christ are you some nitpicking jerks:
"All 15,000 animations aren't 100% fluid!"
"One of the hundreds of buildings in the distance keeps popping, even when everything still looks spectacular!"
"I don't like the flashing guards, cause I don't have an open mind to anything that doesn't fit in the period of the game!"

I mean, hell, from that last one, someone would think you knew nothing about the game. Not polished? All the subtle details they've got in it, the storylines, the depth of field, the applicability of the freerunning...and that isn't a game that's polished? And, let's remember, it isn't finished.
Jesus Christ! "Killzone 2 animations"? What the hell have you been smoking? The game looks fantastic, don't get me wrong, but you're acting like THAT is the pinnacle of animation in games. If anything, it's Heavenly Sword or Assassin's Creed, if not Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Personally, I have NO problem with the sci-fi thing of the game. If the devs put it in, there must have been a reason, and if you don't like it, then go play a different game. It's part of the story, and if they took something like that out, I'm sure it would lessen the connection between Altair and future-guy.
My only problem with this game is Altair's voice actor. American accents I can stand...but he just sounds so noble and young and inexperienced. "Come down here! Let us settle this with honor!" It's a line worthy of a porn flick, and delivered just as well.

Regardless, I'm not going to tell the devs what they need to fix aside from the fact that there are a few graphical bugs (popping and some slight hitches with animation).
Aside from that, it's perfect.

ScytheOfGrim
07-13-2007, 07:05 AM
thank you...finally some one with some sense.

you lot keep complaining, but was there EVER a game out there that was perfect in the demo version??? of course NOT!!!thats why it's a demo!!!

how can you say that "objects keeps popping" when i have only seen two things that ever popped??? the windows on that pic and at one point when he leaps of faiths off at the beginning!!!

how can you say that its not fluid!!!!!!! were you drunk wheen you watched the demo??? there were only a few places where it really wasnt fluid, and thats pretty good considering its the first hands on!!

if it were perfect, then the game would have been released by now!!! the flashing thing will be annoying ONLY if it's overused. and if you're really into the game, then you won't notice it!!!

you people are so picky... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Tlepolemus7
07-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Scythe, if you hate criticism so much (which is what we are doing) why are you criticizing our criticism?

Jack, I think you also missed the point of this entire threasd, its not to bully the devs/game/whatever or to just be ******, its to designate what is wrong with the game so that it can be fixed. Besides, you're off anyway.

Again with the "You nitpick lol"

How is complaining about an awful targetting system nitpicking? The system sucks, whether or not it fits the terrible sci-fi storyline. The effects are bad, the overwhelming shine is completely unnecesary and it is overall a very bad effort. Its obviously been added since the X06 demo, and therefore didn't require years of work, this is why we want it changed, or fixed, or removed completely. It was a stupid idea from the get go, and sacrificing gameplay for the sake of a ridiculous sci-fi story is just wrong.

A little off topic, but you pointed it out, so...

Why do I talk about KZ2 animations? Because they are a mix of rag doll and canned, all while operating very fluidly AND in pre-pre-alpha. Those are the kinds of animations that are moving forward. You also mentioned Heavenly Sword and Uncharted. You should be delighted to see that I've also mentioned those. While Heavenly Sword didn't strike me as a huge showcase for animation (Though it is very fluid), Uncharted is pretty much the pinnacle of canned animations, and I have talked about it before.

I don't know why you would put AC on that list, it's animations at the time being... they suck. However, its obvious that the game is still in developement and lots of the issues, (like choppyness, animations not proccing, and animations proccing when they shouldnt) will soon be fixed. The game could very well end up with good animations, but as of now, just avoid that topic.

I agree, the voice sucks. Welcome to the dark side of *Gasp* constructive criticism.

As for the sci-fi. I've accepted it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or sacrifice gameplay for it.

AoKH_newIdea
07-13-2007, 08:19 AM
And don't think I'm so opposed to the idea because I don't like sci-fi; quite the opposite, in fact.
Great, then you'll probably love this game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

RetiredHatch
07-13-2007, 08:26 AM
I watched G4 Day 1 of E3 last night they said they already fixed the floating guy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif the one at the Microsoft Press conference video if y'know anyone watched it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

ScytheOfGrim
07-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Scythe, if you hate criticism so much (which is what we are doing) why are you criticizing our criticism?

i really dont hate criticism.

and the way you all are going on about it, i wouldn't even dare to classify it as criticism, i believe it is more like useless opinions.

its a DEMO. NOT the finished version!!! if it were then i would be with you. if you stated your opinions in a positive manner, with the intention of helping ubisoft, then i wouldnt mind, but it sounds more like you're trying to destroy the company's confidence.

i understand that you're only trying to help, but don't you think tht you're going a little bit overbaord?? cuz it sounds like flaming to me.

TheMongooseDog
07-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Firstly, to AoKH:

Cutting out half my quote (the half that contained my point) and spitting it back at me does not sway me to your opinion.

Secondly, to everyone giving **** to Tlep and everyone else with an opinion of what they want in this game:

its a DEMO. NOT the finished version!!!

Well it wouldn't do us much good to give our input on the final version, now would it? Now is the time that we have a chance to let the devs know how they can fine-tune the game to make it the best experience possible. As long as we're being constructive, what's the harm?

And I'd also like to point out that while giving the devs the benefit of the doubt isn't in itself a bad thing, blind faith and assuming that they're god-like and will do everything right the first time is just as pointless and unconstructive, if not more so, than overreacting to glitches.

And finally, I'd just like to say that I've noticed that in all the threads I've looked at so far, I haven't noticed a single response from an actual dev, which is highly disappointing. If someone can prove me wrong, please do, since I haven't looked at that many, but at this point, the fact that they don't even seem to care about our opinions, positive or negative, is making even less of a case for me to get this game.

spenzur
07-13-2007, 11:27 AM
so you dont like negative criticism. But we all know its an demo but almost everyone dont like some things and if we dont commont those guys from ubisoft think we like it and i think they dont mind if we commont on thinks becuase they can change things if almost everyone dont like it.

AoKH_newIdea
07-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Cutting out half my quote (the half that contained my point) and spitting it back at me does not sway me to your opinion.
First, I cut out way more than half your quote. It was difficult to read it all. I couldn't imagine how painful it would be to quote that thing.

I'm not trying to sway you to anything. Your inability to see potential for a great story doesn't concern me in the least. You're more than welcome pass on this game. I doubt any of us would shed a tear. Frankly, taking the time to explain why you should check it out really doesn't seem worth it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TheMongooseDog
07-13-2007, 12:20 PM
I re-read what I said and didn't see any reason why it should be painful to quote. My problem with you quoting only part of what I said is that you only quoted the part that made your particular point, while the gist of what I was saying came immediately afterwards.

If you need clarification on what I was trying to say, I only mean to say that in my opinion, the Crusades assassin concept is deep enough to stand on its own, and adding the sci-fi element is excessive and silly, and not only does it not add anything to the original concept, but it takes away from it.

So yes, I saw the potential for a great story, and then I saw it cheapened by a seemingly half-baked bid to attract the mainstream at the expense of the game's integrity.

I have no doubt none of you would shed a tear if I pass on this game; my point is that I might. I really want to love this game, and so am only offering my opinions to the devs so that it might live up to my hopes. I don't expect the game to be tailored to my needs and wants, but if I am able to offer a constructive opinion that the devs can take to heart, so much the better.

EDIT: We're definitely getting off-topic, though, so if you would like to continue this discussion, please PM me.

AoKH_newIdea
07-13-2007, 01:49 PM
My problem with you quoting only part of what I said is that you only quoted the part that made your particular point, while the gist of what I was saying came immediately afterwards.
As harsh as it sounds, I really couldn't care less. Like I said, "Your inability to see potential for a great story doesn't concern me in the least."

If you need clarification on what I was trying to say, I only mean to say that in my opinion, the Crusades assassin concept is deep enough to stand on its own, and adding the sci-fi element is excessive and silly, and not only does it not add anything to the original concept, but it takes away from it.
Really? You went ahead and thought of the whole story that takes place in the 3rd Crusade by yourself, huh? After all, that's the only way you would know if it could stand on its own two feet. You do realize that the developers started the story centered around the assassins, right? Clearly this means they must have made the story and then realized it wasn't as good as they wanted it on it's own. Obviously the story needed that extra piece of mystery and conspiracy.

I think it's great that your mind is apparently simple enough to enjoy a story that wasn't written as well as it should have been written, but I think most people are getting bored of seemingly good stories that have no real depth to them. If you don't mind, we'd like to give this one a chance rather than beg the developers to degrade the story because of one outlandish concern. (Haha, not that I think the begging would do very much. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif )

TheMongooseDog
07-13-2007, 02:02 PM

That's all I have to say. I think I'm still entitled to an opinion.

I've been quite civil and don't understand why you've turned this into a matter of personal attacks. You also ignored my desire to take this off of the general forums and into PMs, which is only ruining this thread for everyone else.

I won't be answering any more of your posts in this thread, but still feel free to PM me.

Clonage2006
07-13-2007, 02:50 PM
TheMongooseDog, That might not be such a bad idea, all of you, for the benefit of others AND yourselves, should stop arguing with each other and post your ideas and dislikes in a consructive manner.

Also, to be honest, although the flashing/red bodies/guards might be something that links the three stories together, or even just a thing to help people to know who they are targeting, it looks bad, and IMO needs to be scrapped or improved. If not, maybe the option to turn it off altogether in-game would do. I have a few ideas as to why it might be there, but if, as it does in my opinion, it affects looks in such a manner as has been displayed then it's not worth it, Or, I could be wrong.

About the button pressing discussion towards the begining of the thread, although I would like to point out that one button being held throught a series of jumps could turn out to be boring, it could also be neccessary for smooth gameplay, for example, how difficult would it be to concentrate on timing, different button presses and the enemy as they chase you? The game, though a decent amount of interactivity IS needed, it shouldn't make the game stray too far from being user-friendly.

Ti.llama
07-13-2007, 03:03 PM
AoKH_newIdea ,

Whether or no you think that incorporating a post modern matrix-esque component enhances the story line or game play is irrelevant in as much as it does not address how this game has been marketed to date.

If the modern slant to the game is so important that it needs to be bashed over our heads every time that we target an enemy, then I am of the opinion that UBI needs to come out and reconcile this with how they have been promoting this game as an immersive assassin game that takes place during the 3thd crusades around the year 1100 AD.

Clonage2006
07-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Well said Ti.llama, didn't they say that part of this game takes place in modern times/the future? That should be enough, or perhaps the odd 'matrixesque* flicker from time to time.

AoKH_newIdea
07-13-2007, 04:20 PM
If the modern slant to the game is so important that it needs to be bashed over our heads every time that we target an enemy, then I am of the opinion that UBI needs to come out and reconcile this with how they have been promoting this game as an immersive assassin game that takes place during the 3thd crusades around the year 1100 AD.
Hahaha... give me a minute...

... hahaha, this is too good. You want Ubi to apologize for attempting to captivate you by keeping their best secrets under wraps? Despite the fact that they weren't marketing a game that strictly takes place in the 3rd crusade, for the sake of entertainment, let's go with this theory. Say they did market a game that strictly took place in the 3rd crusade, you still have no grounds to be upset that it may not be such a game. You haven't even tried the game yet. You're assuming it's going to be something you don't like, despite the fact that you have no clue what it's really like to play Assassin's Creed.

Hey, maybe you're right. But maybe we should take it a step further! Let's get mad at M. Night Shyamalan for making Bruce Willis' character be dead the whole movie. I thought he was alive! I don't like characters that are dead, if I would've known that going into the movie, I would not have wasted my time on it! Grr!

Don't you agree?

moqqy
07-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by AoKH_newIdea:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the modern slant to the game is so important that it needs to be bashed over our heads every time that we target an enemy, then I am of the opinion that UBI needs to come out and reconcile this with how they have been promoting this game as an immersive assassin game that takes place during the 3thd crusades around the year 1100 AD.
Hahaha... give me a minute...

... hahaha, this is too good. You want Ubi to apologize for attempting to captivate you by keeping their best secrets under wraps? Despite the fact that they weren't marketing a game that strictly takes place in the 3rd crusade, for the sake of entertainment, let's go with this theory. Say they did market a game that strictly took place in the 3rd crusade, you still have no grounds to be upset that it may not be such a game. You haven't even tried the game yet. You're assuming it's going to be something you don't like, despite the fact that you have no clue what it's really like to play Assassin's Creed.

Hey, maybe you're right. But maybe we should take it a step further! Let's get mad at M. Night Shyamalan for making Bruce Willis' character be dead the whole movie. I thought he was alive! I don't like characters that are dead, if I would've known that going into the movie, I would not have wasted my time on it! Grr!

Don't you agree? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i like dead characters

olendvcook
07-13-2007, 04:29 PM
@Tlepolemus7

if you hate the controls so much why dont you come up with your own idea and give them examples of how you want it? I think if you spent 5 mins thinking of another control sceme you wouldnt think up one as good as the present one. so instead of sitting there complaining to the devs actually help them out.

moqqy
07-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by olendvcook:
@Tlepolemus7

if you hate the controls so much why dont you come up with your own idea and give them examples of how you want it? I think if you spent 5 mins thinking of another control sceme you wouldnt think up one as good as the present one. so instead of sitting there complaining to the devs actually help them out.

well i dont know what hes doing in the forums if AC isnt even in his top 28 games that hes waiting for.. wtf the only thing this guy does must be chatting on the forums, if he shows this kind of dedication in the forums of all these 28 games and even more?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

SmokehtheFirst
07-13-2007, 04:50 PM
You know, I'll bet on my life the devs haven't/never will look at this topic.

moqqy
07-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by SmokehtheFirst:

can we have a record of you performing an suicide then? ill pm JN to look at this thread if you will record it!!

TheMongooseDog
07-13-2007, 04:58 PM

Agreed. I'll cut them some slack considering all the E3 hubbub, but the lack of official response in this thread (and the board as a whole from what I've seen) is the most disheartening part of the new features seen in the E3 video.

Ti.llama
07-13-2007, 04:59 PM
AoKH_newIdea ,

I never thought that you were so committed to being obtuse. I never said that UBI should apologize, so you can join the rest of us back in reality and stop fantasizing about what you think someone is saying or implying.

What I did say, which I think is worth repeating here given your lack of comprehension, is that (IMO) UBI needs to explain why the near colorless, digitally garbled, matrix-esque targeting system is compatible (READ: reconcilable) with a game that has been promoted as being about a Crusade era Assassin.

There are a few things that you would be hard pressed to deny.

1. The game has been promoted as featuring an Assassin during the 3thd Crusade.

2. There has been no explanation of the significance of using a targeting system that looks like its straight out of Alien v. Predator.

So you can get off the high horse and stop trying to insult people for asking legitimate questions and raising valid points.

SmokehtheFirst
07-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by moqqy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SmokehtheFirst:

can we have a record of you performing an suicide then? ill pm JN to look at this thread if you will record it!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, without gambler interference, is what I meant. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Eulogy08
07-13-2007, 05:53 PM
To everyone who is saying, stop nit picking, this is only the demo... if people don't nitpick, and criticize, guess what the final product ends up being... the demo.

TogaLive
07-13-2007, 06:01 PM
I was about to post a new thread but I guess I'll start by agreeing with everything you've said. The outlines are ****ing gay and should be removed. I'd also like to add some things to your list, though.

3) Animations: Sorry, but they are still not up to par. Freerunning and the kind of combat this game employs is fluid, the animations are not. In an era with Killzone 2 style animations (revolutionary mixing of rag doll and canned animations, all ridiculously fluid and working beautifully in PRE-pre-alpha) how can this game hope to compete?

4)Control Scheme: Read. http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/802/802800p1.html
Oh, first true next gen game, man thats so cool! I honestly don't give a **** when all that was on my mind throughout the entire article was "If its so next gen, why do we complete ridiculously complex manouvers by holding down a button and pressing the analog stick forward?" I mean, I'm no fan of the Wii, but how can Ubisoft expect to be next gen when next gen has been about increasing controlability!? If I wanted to watch a movie about the crusades, I'd do so, and I wouldn't have to worry about holding down a button! I really don't get how Ubisoft can expect to hype a game that hardly lets you control the action.

5) Animation Proccing: Certain animations simply don't proc, and altair just slides off lucky civilians. I don't know if I'll end up liking this or not, as most of the animations seem so blatantly canned and overused, I'd rather not see them too much.

Ubisoft has a lot of work to do, whether or not this game is built on exciting ideas and a cool time culturally and an awesome character.

Jade, honey, get busy.

EDIT: Also in the place of another full thread, who else was here... what was it, two years ago? When Jade was first making promises about this game. You remember what she said? Complete historical accuracy. If it wasn't in the crusades, it isn't in this game. Just look how far we've gone from the original goal.

FIRST OF ALL GUY'S LET'S REMEMBER NOT TO ALLOW THIS TO BECOME A FLAMING SESSION, BECAUSE THE MODS WILL CLOSE THIS TOPIC, AND THERE GO'S EVERYONES GOOD CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. SO PLEASE WATCH WHAT YOUR SAYING.

I could not agree with you two more, and I too feel its time for people to get past all the ooo and aaaahhhh glossy eyed opinions we have seen after just a few trailers and demos. Personally I would not mind if Jade and her team took this game back to the lab and took an extra 3+ months or so to really get it up to speed with all the hype, instead of putting out so much hot air that thousands of people spend 60 bucks on it just to become disapointed after the first few days of play when they start to realize all the issues. While I am still very excited about it, it's sad to say there is still alot to be done to match the hype put out by the UbiDevs involving many issues, including true-to-date-realism.

As said before; Jade, sorry but you've still got alot of work to do.

HINT TO THE DEVS: Mabey pay a visit to Bioware and the Mass Effect team, just to check out how to live up to the hype, as there is nothing they have not included in that game which is being all hyped about. They truly seem to monitor, care, and live up to the Hype.

Tlepolemus7
07-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Scythe, from page 4

its a DEMO. NOT the finished version!!! if it were then i would be with you. if you stated your opinions in a positive manner, with the intention of helping ubisoft, then i wouldnt mind, but it sounds more like you're trying to destroy the company's confidence.

The reason we are criticizing the demo is so that they fix the errors and the demo doesn't become the final game, see?

They won't b able to fix the game once its out on the market, so they need to now, we are trying to make sure they know what to fix.

As far as the widely shared opinion that pressing buttons as opposed to holding one button down would be too hard for freerunning: Come on now, pressing buttons in time with what he's doing? Thats videogaming, it shouldn't be anything new by now and you should all be good at it.

Olendvcook: I don't want an entirely new control scheme, I want a better freerunning control scheme, something along the lines of pressing buttons as opposed to holding one down.

Moqqy, the reason I am on these forums is because this is the one game that I'm on the fence about. I didn't see anything I didn't like in any other games I'm anticipiating, but I saw a lot in AC. This game is so very fragile at this point and it could easily turn into a pile of trash, or a huge hit. I wan't to do everything I can to make sure it is the latter, and if that means throwing out criticizm that falls on deaf ears, so be it. I'm overseas, so I don't have much else to do.

Clonage2006
07-14-2007, 05:35 AM
Really, children, adressing each other and arguing about what has and hasn't been said will get us no where. How about we have some decency back in here, before this thread becomes even more pointless than it already was?

Ultradude2345
07-14-2007, 05:47 AM
i don't get it. first we were all hyped like **** for this game and now because of a probally non final product demo we're pissing and moaning just because people don't like what they see. wtf. I say it looks awesome and although I noticed some errors I think they will be fixed and when released this game will kick ***. The next generation is in full flow people, if u don't like AC well hell buy Force Unleashed, Mercenaries, stranglehold or go to their forums and piss and moan.

ScytheOfGrim
07-14-2007, 06:01 AM
thats exactly what im saying ultra!

i think the game looks awsome, just a few tweaks and some bugs and there you go, and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+ game. lepo what i mean is that you people are stating things in a way that makes it sound like the game has been released already and you people are already reviewing it. sure give helpful hints on what to change, but dont state it in a way that sounds like flaming cuz the game is horrible!(which it isnt BTW)

spenzur
07-14-2007, 06:27 AM
I know it isnt the final version but if we dont critisme the makers of this game will think we like al those ideas and maby if they know much people dont like something im sure they will change it.

Ultradude2345
07-14-2007, 06:33 AM
Man i hope this doesn't turn into another splinter cell scenario, where everyone was hyped about double agent and then BAM!!! They all thought it sucked when i thought it wasn't half bad

ScytheOfGrim
07-14-2007, 06:36 AM
i know spenzur. i infact agree with all of your worries and complaints. but some people are not just criticizing, they are also being over-aggressive when they dont need to be. thats all im saying.

ElKvass
07-14-2007, 06:42 AM
The demo looks awesome and exept for a few glitches like the floating guard it looks perfect. I do however agree that it would make the game even better if they removed the feature when people turn white when they are targeted and all this genetic data stuff flows out behind them when they are running.

Tlepolemus7
07-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Really, children, adressing each other and arguing about what has and hasn't been said will get us no where. How about we have some decency back in here, before this thread becomes even more pointless than it already was?

yeah, good job bumping it back to the top of the page.

Scythe, I think the reason we criticize a little aggresively is simply because we're in a forum on the internet and that leads to people being very relaxed about things.

Do I really think this game is gonna suck? Absolutely not. But I'll constantly say it does to make a point.

Do I really think the dev's suck completely and do nothing but ogle Jade? No, but I'll throw that idea out there when I'm frustrated that a feature isn't working in ways I'd like.

I really think this thread has been one of the best since the beginning of these forums, because it was so full of criticism that the devs could then take and work with. Maybe it was aggressive, but that tend to happen on the intratubes.

Ultra, the reason 'we' stopped being so hyped is because we finally saw some gameplay. And it wasn't even that no one is hyped anymore, its just the pessimism taking over where you gotta sit down and say "Ok, this looks good, but I think they should make this and this and this better or the final game may not turn out so well." If people want to voice that, you have no right to stop them, and its just annoying as hell when you complain about it.

Oh, and the devs know when they see bugs and glitches, so you may as well not bother posting if thats all you're gonna talk about.

At the end of the day, a few pieces of criticism that fall on wise ears could be the difference between an AAA+ game and a A- game.

Ti.llama
07-14-2007, 12:06 PM
I could tolerate the occasional bug or poor synchronization with some of the animations, if they would just do away with that terrible targeting system.

ALSAKR
07-14-2007, 03:49 PM
SEE THE NEW "ON STAGE DEMO Part 1" there is no problem in the windows (Beta version). Know that well. Thank you.

Skaevola
07-14-2007, 07:14 PM
You know what I think is great? They showed the E3 demo, and less than five minutes later, almost everyone who has been waiting for this AC came onto this forum and criticized two main things: The stupid floaty-number targeting system (I liked it better when all you had to do was look at where Altair's sword was pointing), and Altair's American voiceover. There must be hundreds of people complaining about those two things. So if even ONE developer even wanders in and glances around for nineteen seconds, they'll go, "Holy ****! We screwed some stuff up!" And get right to work on it. So theymight even already be fixed, thanks to good old complaining!

Piccoro5
07-14-2007, 08:11 PM
To put some perspective on the E3 2007 demonstration for the MS conference.
CVG said they heard the AC demo that was performed on stage was rushed because of Bungie. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=168025&site=cvg) Speculation? Who knows.
And in a G4TV interview Jade said some bugs like the floating dead guard are fixed 'back in the office'. (http://www.g4tv.com/pile_player.aspx?video_key=16931)

But constructive criticism is good. So keep it up. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Akolyte01
07-14-2007, 08:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BaToUrYu:

Hypocritical or not, this game is not where it should be and we are trying to get that across to the public so the devs will stop being smug asses and start being devs who want to produce an AAA+ game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't play the game then and stop filling the forums with your pathetic whining.

Calling something "carebear" because you don't like it is overused and underthought.

The control scheme is intuitive. Wanting more buttons for the sake of more buttons just proves you are a moron.

SmokehtheFirst
07-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Guys, Ubisoft doesn't need criticism. They KNOW what is wrong with the game. They saw the bugs. Let them do their work, there's still 3 months left before this game releases.

Ultradude2345
07-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Akolyte01:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tlepolemus7:

Don't play the game then and stop filling the forums with your pathetic whining.

Calling something "carebear" because you don't like it is overused and underthought.

The control scheme is intuitive. Wanting more buttons for the sake of more buttons just proves you are a moron. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif Dude, if your gonna ruin the forums just because u don't like what the ******* UNFINISHED DEMO( http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif)had to offer then go get your self banned, leave, and let all of us who trust ubisoft be here in peace without your pissing, whining, moaning and constant "killzone rules because it's pre-pre alpha" ****.

Vordred
07-15-2007, 04:34 PM
well the game looks great accept for that sci-fi stuff.

the game isn't out till november so i can forgive the bugs. but that targeting system is horrible. it looks really bad and for me really takes you out of the game.

i wanted to play a Assassin in the Crusades, not a Terminator in the Crusades

sireatsalot91
07-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Yea, i would prefer no targeting system, to be honest. It seems like the game is way more grounded into the sci-fi thing than anyone ever thought. Maybe it will all pan out cus everyone who reviewed the game thought it was amazing.

ocataco
07-15-2007, 07:41 PM
the point is, the targetting sucks, its still a demo, they dont care what we say anyways, and theres 2 more ac games comin out after it.

some stuff sucks. if they can completely satisfy every single person here, some big important scientificky thing'd get messed up and we'd all die.

they've got plenty f time to fix what they feel like fixing. otherwise, just deal with it.
glitches, bugs, etc aside, its still going to be one of the best games out there for a while.

and either way, ubi will make plenty of money off of it..

they've got like a couple hundred of us people who'll buy it just to see if we complained about the right things.

then they've got the huge fanbase already, who'd buy pac man for $600 if it said ubi on it.

and it just looks nice and shiney..

complaining is good though...it makes the game seem almost somewhere close to haveing a chance of not being absolutely amazing..then once we finnaly do get the game and it ends up being a hundred times better than we thought, everyone'll be happy and life will go on.

wow. ive never typed that much in my life before. and for no reason whatsoever.. yall'll keep complaining either way. oh well.

Lordgrunty11
07-15-2007, 08:54 PM
at first I didn't like it at all but now that I think about it, it only comes up when you press the LT and it does look kind of cool with all the numbers and code. The thing that they could do with out is someone turning red when they die and the targeting having to be that bright, just need to tone it down a little.

TheTrojanPig
07-16-2007, 03:48 PM
didnt know target was only lt that will be cool for those who dont want it so im happy anyone else notice that the things flying around were like wierd matrix looking letters i think might not have been but it looked like dust from far away and then when it got close it looked like a wierd y was awesome i like that effect

Augustus-Metz
07-16-2007, 09:51 PM
the outline is part of the story but it is wierd